Bills OT rule proposal

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

There is no perfect overtime rules because if two teams are tied after 60 minutes generally they are very even and some version of luck will decide game. I don't mind the current rule but I would be very interested in whatever proposals they have though making a time element is not a good idea in my book 

College OT is fair and doable. I don't get the opposition to it. 

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Do what they do in the regular season then. Each team gets a possession. Only thing I would change is if the team who gets the ball first scores a TD then the other team would still get a chance with the ball which they currently don't get.

The thing to consider in this scenario is the second team would have the advantage of using 4th downs. Still better than what we have now, but it would be better to get the ball second if this were the case. 

It seems like having a timed OT period would the the best way to go. At least for the first OT period.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

A lot of grumpy old men in this thread. Change isn't always bad fellas.

Ask yourself... does the team that wins the coin toss have a significant advantage over the team that doesn't?

If so, why would you give a significant advantage to a team based on a coin flip when you don't have to?

well, that was lessened not long ago with a change in the OT rule.  Recently, a team won on the first possession with a FG, Now it has to be a TD or the other team gets a possession to tie or win.  

They don't need to change it again.  The Defense is expected  to play hard in OT as well as the Offense.

This is a non-issue.

Two possessions.  Coin toss determines who goes first, winner can take or defer.  Team that gets the ball first gets a drive.  If they get a TD they cannot go for two.  Then, the other team gets the ball and needs to do better then the last drive or they lose.

Still not perfect, but fairer.  In the case of the Bills/Chiefs game, KC got 7.  Bills would have one drive to get 8 to win.

Team that goes second has the advantage of knowing how much they need, but the disadvantage of needing more points.

Edited by The Red King

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I guess the worry is games going on forever. I actually don't dislike overtime rules, I just hate how possession is decided.

It would only go on forever if neither team could ever score or if each team continued to match the other team every time. Low probability of either happening. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I figured out what the change should be. Eliminate the coin flip. Continue the game into extra time. 

OT rules basically stay the same. TD on 1st possession wins it, after 1st possession it's sudden death.

BUT the big change is the game just continues where it ended in regulation. No coin flip. For example, Cheifs tied the game vs the Bills at the end of regulation. OT would start where regulation ends. Chiefs kicking off to the Bills in OT.

If there were still some time left in regulation with a tie, let's say 10 seconds, normally a team would kneel. Now teams would know they continue possession into OT.

Also in this scenario since the team that is losing at the end of regulation knows the other team gets possession you would likely see more teams go for two instead of the tie at the end of regulation.

Tell me this isn't the perfect fix? No more coin flip deciding games.

Consider this. The game is tied, Team A is driving towards the end of the game, BUT not in scoring range yet. Do they get the ball on the same yard line when the 4th Q ends? If so, they wouldn’t have much reason to push the ball downfield and take risks when they have more time coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

First scenario is perfect. That's exactly how it should be. Like I said, team B already knows who gets possession in OT. So if they score a TD they could go for 2 to win in regulation instead of play defense in OT and hope to get the ball back.

Second scenario would take game management by the coach. Remember at the end of regulation you still win the game if you make the long FG. In OT a made FG gives the ball to the opponent for their possession. Team A would still have to score a TD on their 1st possession in OT to win on that possession.

I like your idea IF OT is timed and not as it currently is.  Because this would remove the coin toss factor in OT. 

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The OT rule as per me.  Team A scores a TD on first OT possession and must kick their XP.  Team B gets the ball and must score a TD and if so they must go for 2 pt conversion assuming Team A made their kick.  If Team A missed their XP then Team B has the option to kick for the win.  Would the team winning the coin toss elect to play defense first?  I think so because the second team to possess the ball has the advantage of knowing what they need and the availability of 4th downs to sustain their drive.  All other scoring rules stay the same.  If there is a weather effect on the game that favors one direction over the other, then there is an additional bonus to playing defense first.

In the case of matching FGs by each team, next score wins the game.  Team A gets the advantage of winning the game on their 2nd possession with a score of any kind.  B does not get a second chance.  Now what does the winner of the coin toss do?  I still think they would play defense and choose the EZ they defend.

This is not a bad idea at all. Each team has an advantage in some way, but also a disadvantage. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

well, that was lessened not long ago with a change in the OT rule.  Recently, a team won on the first possession with a FG, Now it has to be a TD or the other team gets a possession to tie or win.  

They don't need to change it again.  The Defense is expected  to play hard in OT as well as the Offense.

This is a non-issue.

Since this change (in post season) the team who has won the toss has won 90% of the games. This is the main issue with the drive for change. A coin toss is seemingly deciding the outcomes of games between very good teams. 

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't like college because if it is a defensive game you get Illinois vs Penn State kinda 9 it game, which was unwatchable. Though from a fairness standpoint it is fine.

32 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Why do they need special rules anyway?  Just keep playing extra quarters until somebody is ahead and the clock shows all 0s.  

Money is always the answer to why. Everyone would want their cut of long OT games. 

43 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not a fan of college OT. I want teams to have to earn points. I like giving each team possession, that's about it. I don't need kickoffs, but start at your own 25.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

44 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Consider this. The game is tied, Team A is driving towards the end of the game, BUT not in scoring range yet. Do they get the ball on the same yard line when the 4th Q ends? If so, they wouldn’t have much reason to push the ball downfield and take risks when they have more time coming. 

Play it exactly how they would at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter. They get the ball to start OT wherever they were at the end of the 4th. Same down and distance. Same timeouts. If a score happens at the end of regulation then it's a kickoff to start OT.

In your scenario Team A is around midfield I'm guessing driving and there's like 20 seconds left. Remember OT rules are you only win on the 1st possession with a TD.  A Team A FG on this drive in OT would give the ball to Team B with a chance to win sudden death with a TD.

Knowing that, as a fan what would you suggest your team do? I would want my team to go for the win in regulation. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Play one additional quarter, odds of a tie after that are imo quite small, and if so, first field goal from 60 or greater  distance wins it, jmo. 

it is called “foot” ball after all…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

4 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

"If experience has taught us nothing else, it's that to experience an experience like that is quite an experience"

C'mon McDermott, it's the off-season- live a little and mix up the words.  

"If execution has taught us nothing else, it's that to execute an execution like that is quite an execution ".

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because it can go on for an hour. Have you seen some of these college OT's. Terrible idea considering the defense's are already exhausted. The rules committee will say if the team with the first possession scores a td, the other team will be given an opportunity to match. If they do match, then the game Immediately becomes sudden death. Probably takes less than 10 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Play it exactly how they would at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter. They get the ball to start OT wherever they were at the end of the 4th. Same down and distance. Same timeouts. If a score happens at the end of regulation then it's a kickoff to start OT.

In your scenario Team A is around midfield I'm guessing driving and there's like 20 seconds left. Remember OT rules are you only win on the 1st possession with a TD.  A Team A FG on this drive in OT would give the ball to Team B with a chance to win sudden death with a TD.

Knowing that, as a fan what would you suggest your team do? I would want my team to go for the win in regulation. 

I think your idea with a slight modification would be my preferred OT.

That modification being, if first team in OT scores a TD, they have to go for the XP. The second team, assuming they score the TD, has to go for 2. This way the second team having the advantage of using 4th down is slightly nullified in having to go for 2. Also, if the game goes to sudden death, the first team having the ball in OT has the advantage.

Now assuming the first team missed the XP, the second team can then try for an XP instead of going for 2.  

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Consider this though. Team A gets the ball with very little time, say less than 20 seconds and the game is tied. They wouldn’t need to be aggressive, they could just move the ball casually knowing they will get the ball in OT. This wouldn’t be so bad, unless that team can win with a TD in OT. 

However, I do like your idea of removing the coin flip. Even if OT was just a whole period that was played out. 

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Because it can go on for an hour. Have you seen some of these college OT's. Terrible idea considering the defense's are already exhausted. The rules committee will say if the team with the first possession scores a td, the other team will be given an opportunity to match. If they do match, then the game Immediately becomes sudden death. Probably takes less than 10 minutes. 

This would be good enough. The advantage of using 4th downs can be nullified due to team A having the chance to win on their first possession of sudden death. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.