LA market not in top 10 for SB TV ratings

YoloinOhio

18 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

As a whole, sure. But there are a ton of fans in that area, nonetheless. They watched their team move to St. Louis and win a SB there. At least they were able to win now in their original city.

Cleveland?

Edited by WhoTom
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Malazan said:

TV Ratings is a really poor term. For example, I would not be counted in TV ratings, but I watched the Superbowl. 

Then you have that ratings are a percentage, not a straight up number. So 10% of LA watching might be more people than 40% of Cincinnati. This is also based on  roughly 21,000 households that are monitored out of something like 127 million people who have TVs in their home.

Also, when you dig into how Nielsen accounts for viewership and then viewership outside of the home (February in Cincinnati and LA are two very different things), these ratings are basically massive guesses. 

Good points.  It's easy to assume more people in Socal were watching the game than exist in any of the top 10 cities listed above.

18 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's an interesting result. Seat of the pants analysis: a lot of this has to do with the percentage of foreign-born (excluding Canadian) residents. American football, is, well (North) American.  Los Angeles simply doesn't have the demographics to drive Top 10 football viewership. Many of the rust belt cities do.

the date is only electronic monitoring if a test home.

there are other data collection methods.

if you have a monitor and you went to a SB party your numbers were loft.  It also doesn’t factor in TVs off our dvr  of game.

LA tv market has 2 geographic markets.

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Again, it’s Super Bowl Sunday. In their city. With their team playing. If there are other “entertainment options” during that 3 hour window, they do not care about football. Which is totally fine but makes me feel bad for the other 29 cities. Happy for their fans that DO care, obviously. 

I do also think that the immigrant population of LA cares less for American Football and the fact that both teams in LA are fairly new to the area don’t help matters much. I live not too far from LA and it definitely is a town where football is popular but maybe not the obsession it may be in other cities.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

As a forty year LA area resident let me try and simplify it: Southern California is a VERY diverse marketplace. American football is not the dominating sport that it would be in Buffalo. (Thus the reason why baseball, soccer, and basketball are so popular.) Not only are there tons of other things to do here but there are a wide range of people with varying cultural backgrounds.

With regards to population check out this statistic: The Inland Empire, the eastern suburbs of LA would be the 12th largest Metro Area in the country with almost 5 Million people if it was considered it’s own ‘city’ and that’s just the eastern suburbs. Yikes!

so by virtue of such diverse cultures, races and sheer numbers of people...number crunchers at the NFL (and greedy owners like Spanos) see what they hope (View) as untapped future growth potential. I think that thinking is naively optimistic myself. Still a major market but as has been stated here and I agree...LA is a baseball and basketball town. and the Kings NHL, and allll the college action. Major League soccer, like someone else said, beach, mountains, deserts...u catch my drift right? choices Choices CHOICES galore. And thats not even mentioning all the rest of the world famous socal scene like Disney, Theme parks...and the fact that a lot of socal folks are into fitness, biking, running...Yeah Ive been here a long time too. Socal has it all plus Hollywood fcol. 

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They clearly love football enough to deserve 2 nfl teams 

The 2 teams aren't in LA for the "people of LA"....they're there for the corporate sponsors of LA....who have done a nice job of paying top dollar in huge quantities to support both teams.

LA has corporate sponsorship and luxury suite data the likes of which Buffalo can only ever dream of having.

Such is the reality of the game as it stands today.

It ain't about Joe Jackass in the bleachers anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

I used to spend a lot of time in California for work and most LA sports fans are either transplants from other areas of the country that root for their home teams (like the bills) or bandwagon fans that simply attach themselves to the hot ticket so to speak whether it's the Rams, Lakers, Dodgers, etc. If anything fans in the bay area are more hardcore and closer to a Bills fans which is why the NFC Championship was essentially a home game for the 49ers even though they lost.

In fact the sad reality is most Ram fans that were jumping for joy over winning the superbowl probably couldn't even name more than a handful of players on the team, including all the celebrities and other people that had money to burn to be able to actually watch the game in person anyway given the outrageous ticket prices.

This is the difference between a team like the Bills where the entire western NY region and fanbase would truly savor a championship and why it would mean so much compared to a city like LA or NY when they win a pro sports championship.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I used to spend a lot of time in California for work and most LA sports fans are either transplants from other areas of the country that root for their home teams (like the bills) or bandwagon fans that simply attach themselves to the hot ticket so to speak whether it's the Rams, Lakers, Dodgers, etc. If anything fans in the bay area are more hardcore and closer to a Bills fans which is why the NFC Championship was essentially a home game for the 49ers even though they lost.

In fact the sad reality is most Ram fans that were jumping for joy over winning the superbowl probably couldn't even name more than a handful of players on the team, including all the celebrities and other people that had money to burn to be able to actually watch the game in person anyway given the outrageous ticket prices.

This is the difference between a team like the Bills where the entire western NY region and fanbase would truly savor a championship and why it would mean so much compared to a city like LA or NY when they win a pro sports championship.

What SB did not have outrageous ticket prices?

When the Yanks, Mets, Giants, Rangers won championships, it didn't mean much to NY fans (i. e. , they are like LA fans)?  Is this a serious thought?

2 hours ago, muppy said:

so by virtue of such diverse cultures, races and sheer numbers of people...number crunchers at the NFL (and greedy owners like Spanos) see what they hope (View) as untapped future growth potential. I think that thinking is naively optimistic myself. Still a major market but as has been stated here and I agree...LA is a baseball and basketball town. and the Kings NHL, and allll the college action. Major League soccer, like someone else said, beach, mountains, deserts...u catch my drift right? choices Choices CHOICES galore. And thats not even mentioning all the rest of the world famous socal scene like Disney, Theme parks...and the fact that a lot of socal folks are into fitness, biking, running...Yeah Ive been here a long time too. Socal has it all plus Hollywood fcol. 

Spanos left San Diego because the citizens continually voted against a new stadium....even though the one they just tore down to instead replace with a new one for San Diego State was older than Rich Stadium. And you blame him? Seems to me they were just taunting him into picking up his team and moving. I really hope the same thing never happens with the Bills.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, muppy said:

Reminds me of when Jack Kent Cooke, the original owner of the Kings, wanted a hockey team in LA with the second six expansion...he was told there were 500,000 ex-Canadians in the southern California area.  After several years of attendance woes, Cooke uttered, "Now I know why they all left Canada...they hate hockey."

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I do also think that the immigrant population of LA cares less for American Football and the fact that both teams in LA are fairly new to the area don’t help matters much. I live not too far from LA and it definitely is a town where football is popular but maybe not the obsession it may be in other cities.

That’s the entire point. it’s an enormous, non-football, market. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Spanos left San Diego because the citizens continually voted against a new stadium....even though the one they just tore down to instead replace with a new one for San Diego State was older than Rich Stadium. And you blame him? Seems to me they were just taunting him into picking up his team and moving. I really hope the same thing never happens with the Bills.

keep siding with the billionaire. If it happens to Buffalo I suppose you'd side with Pegula. That's all I need to know about your fan loyalties. They don't exist.

Just now, muppy said:

keep siding with the billionaire. If it happens to Buffalo I suppose you'd side with Pegula. That's all I need to know about your fan loyalties. They don't exist.

I'm guessing I've been a Bills fan for longer than you've been alive. But in case you weren't aware...the Team doesn't belong to the City. It belongs to the Owner. You may not like it, but those are the facts. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I'm guessing I've been a Bills fan for longer than you've been alive. But in case you weren't aware...the Team doesn't belong to the City. It belongs to the Owner. You may not like it, but those are the facts. 

you just proved my point. My fan longevity is very likely as long if not longer than yours please spare me the patronizing attitude.

17 minutes ago, muppy said:

you just proved my point. My fan longevity is very likely as long if not longer than yours please spare me the patronizing attitude.

So if true…did you not know that you don’t own the team? I’m pretty sure that I don’t? I’m a huge Bills fan but I’m also aware that it’s like loving a restaurant. The owner can decide to move the restaurant if he wants to. There are consequences to the move but it’s his decision to make. 

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So if true…did you not know that you don’t own the team? I’m pretty sure that I don’t? I’m a huge Bills fan but I’m also aware that it’s like loving a restaurant. The owner can decide to move the restaurant if he wants to. There are consequences to the move but it’s his decision to make. 

since you corrected your tone I'll reply I dont come here to rabble. The only team that is owned by the municipality is Green Bay. Relating an owner of a restaurant to a Bills franchise...get back to me when said restaurant is worth billions with hundreds of thousands of patrons and we can discuss wether said owner has the RIGHT or...rather SHOULD he move regardless of not only financial but emotional ramifications to those attendees. 

Just how many Billions with a B does a person need yes it is his business to run buy or sell within NFL guidelines. I empathized with the san diego people.. rich fat bank account rat baastid moved his team and now the oppoonts are the home field advantage LMAOOO

***** disgusting. I will never align with the ilk of THAT guy. And for the record Pegula leaving Im not even gonna go there.

Lord have mercy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

since you corrected your tone I'll reply I dont come here to rabble. The only team that is owned by the municipality is Green Bay. Relating an owner of a restaurant to a Bills franchise...get back to me when said restaurant is worth billions with hundreds of thousands of patrons and we can discuss wether said owner has the RIGHT or...rather SHOULD he move regardless of not only financial but emotional ramifications to those attendees. 

Just how many Billions with a B does a person need yes it is his business to run buy or sell within NFL guidelines. I empathized with the san diego people.. rich fat bank account rat baastid moved his team and now the oppoonts are the home field advantage LMAOOO

***** disgusting. I will never align with the ilk of THAT guy. And for the record Pegula leaving Im not even gonna go there.

Lord have mercy.

Yikes! My tone? You’re clearly mad at the world, and it’s apparently your happy place. There are few sports owners who made their billions as sports owners. I’m assuming you know that? Not sure why you think you’re personally getting screwed by these folks. They just own a sports franchise. Sheeesh

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yikes! My tone? You’re clearly mad at the world, and it’s apparently your happy place. There are few sports owners who made their billions as sports owners. I’m assuming you know that? Not sure why you think you’re personally getting screwed by these folks. They just own a sports franchise. Sheeesh

you started by patronizing me. Im in empathy with charger fans. sue me. It could have easily been MY team. And yes Im passionate and this is an especially personal issue. Period. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.