Aaron Rogers in the Playoffs

PatsFanNH

Ok a friend of mine (a huge Rogers fan) and I are debating on how great Rogers is. He states he is top 5 all time.  I say he is maybe top 10 and that his choking in playoff games isn’t helping him. 

he points to his playoff stats 5894 yards 22 TD and 13 INT in 21 games.

I say that’s nice but just look at the last two years. In 2020 he had 3rd and Goal from the 5 and could have easily run it in and he throws it into double coverage. This year he barely gets 10 points on the 49ers, and worse fails to get even one first down deep in his own end which lead to a punt block.

I say the lack of being clutch keeps him out of the top 5. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Top 5. You forgot that pesky Super Bowl win and 3 MVPs. 

I think the All 22 from last years game showed it was not an easy run into the end zone. There was a defender there.

and I’m not a Rodgers fan 

My top all time 5 are - Brady, P Manning, Marino, Montana, and Otto Graham.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok a friend of mine (a huge Rogers fan) and I are debating on how great Rogers is. He states he is top 5 all time.  I say he is maybe top 10 and that his choking in playoff games isn’t helping him. 

I say that’s nice but just look at the last two years. In 2020 he had 3rd and Goal from the 5 and could have easily run it in and he throws it into double coverage. This year he barely gets 10 points on the 49ers, and worse fails to get even one first down deep in his own end which lead to a punt block.

It's hard to make "All-Time" arguments with QBs because of how the games is played now as opposed to decades ago.

I would have Rodgers 3rd or 4th of his era. So making the argument he's top 5 on my list is a tough sell when you have guys like Marino, Unitis, Montana ect from other eras to include.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

My top 5 would be

1. Brady - the GOAT

2.Manning

3.Marino

4.Montana

5.Brees

Honorable mention to Young, Elway, Moon, Kelly, Bradshaw

Just now, Greg S said:

My top 5 would be

1. Brady - the GOAT

2.Manning

3.Marino

4.Montana

5.Brees

Honorable mention to Young, Rodgers, Elway, Moon, Kelly, Bradshaw

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

I mean if your going to dog on Rodgers you have to dog on Marino for his playoff failures 

GB has had some good teams that were capable of winning it all. I am not so sure the Fins did. They had no running game to compliment Marino. Also the Packers have owned their division during the Rodgers era. Marino had to deal with the great Bills teams who ended up being Miami's Daddy.

• Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Greg S said:

GB has had some good teams that were capable of winning it all. I am not so sure the Fins did. They had no running game to compliment Marino. Also the Packers have owned their division during the Rodgers era. Marino had to deal with the great Bills teams who ended up being Miami's Daddy.

Go back and watch the 1992 AFC title game in Miami. The Dolphins won the division had home field and the Bills and Kelly in particular were incredibly sloppy. 

Lost the SB in 84, lost the AFC title game in 85, 90 Divisional round, 92 AFC title game, 94 they lost to the damn Chargers with Stan Humphries are you kidding,95 to the Bills , 97 to the Patriots, 98 to the Broncos. There is a lot of playoff failure there. 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Mijami had a terrible running game due to Marino's very poor fakes.   Marino got rid of the ball fast but that was his best attribute.

Bledsoe was called the statue and Marino should have been called the monument.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

Go back and watch the 1992 AFC title game in Miami. The Dolphins won the division had home field and the Bills and Kelly in particular were incredibly sloppy. 

Lost the SB in 84, lost the AFC title game in 85, 90 Divisional round, 92 AFC title game, 94 they lost to the damn Chargers with Stan Humphries are you kidding,95 to the Bills , 97 to the Patriots, 98 to the Broncos. There is a lot of playoff failure there. 

Good point. I just remember the Bills always stopping them when it mattered. At least it seemed that way.

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

My top 5 would be

1. Brady - the GOAT

2.Manning

3.Marino

4.Montana

5.Brees

Honorable mention to Young, Elway, Moon, Kelly, Bradshaw

My top five in any order you want to put them in:   

Montana, Manning, Staubach, Unitas, Graham

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Good point. I just remember the Bills always stopping them when it mattered. At least it seemed that way.

It was that way.

I don't think QBs can be compared head to head because the rules changes that favored passing and protection have inflated the stats and performance of guys like Brees, Brady and Rodgers.  If Kelly was protected like Brady was he could have played 5 more years too.  You have to compare them by era.  When Marino (in his second year) threw the 48 TD passes (5000 yards in 16 games) to Clayton and Duper (two decidedly undersized receivers) that was otherworldly considering the state of the game.    Peyton, Tom, Drew and Aaron get to play a game designed to throw the ball.  So who had a more impressive year: Marino or Rodgers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Top 5. You forgot that pesky Super Bowl win and 3 MVPs. 

I think the All 22 from last years game showed it was not an easy run into the end zone. There was a defender there.

and I’m not a Rodgers fan 

Defender was tied up with a receiver.  He jogs in easily.  Instead tosses a pass into the turf.  game over.

I bet Rodgers would rather have 2 SB wins/SB MVPs....say, like Eli Manning.

59 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

i agree with you. The number of failures in the playoffs is alarming, especially with no juggernaut teams in the way (like with the pats in the AFC). He is 1-4 in NFCCG’s.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.