Was 2021 a step back or step forward for the Buffalo Bills?

transplantbillsfan

Was 2021 a step back or a step forward from 2020?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Was 2021 a step back or a step forward from 2020?

Josh became truly elite with his 2 incredible performances in the post season. Sean was also exposed as impotent at critical times. Thus we must conclude the team took a step forward because Josh has experienced  bad coaching  compromising certain victory and ownership seeing  on field bad decisions by Sean's staff and how a change in approach must be installed. 

5 hours ago, Talley56 said:

I'll say forward but TBH I only say that because of how much better Allen got.  If you were to tell any one of us back in August that the Bills would finish with more losses and get knocked out a round earlier than 2020 you'd be hard pressed to find anyone calling that a step forward.

However, as I watched Allen, I saw a QB take even more steps towards something truly special, particularly in the last month and a half.  He looks to me like a QB who, as long as he's healthy, won't be denied a title for much longer.  I would say his progression has been:

2018 - Potential

2019 - Getting better

2020 - Great

2021 - Virtually unstoppable 

In regards to your first statement, I think context matters. Sometimes the other shoe drops. Last year we maybe should have lost some close ones, including the Rams game we almost gave away, and the Patriots game with Cam Newton driving to at the very least force OT if not win.

This year we fail to win on the 3 yard line of the titans, and the offense plays a baffling game against the Jags.

Two game swing either way for both years, small details changing in any of them reverses the situation.

I'm also not sure if anyone pointed it out yet but:

Last year:

Colts->Ravens->Chiefs

This year:

Patriots->Chiefs->Bengals

I get it, the bengals beat the chiefs, but no one can convince me that the bengals would have been akin to the AFCCG against the chiefs last year. Our AFCCG this year was against the chiefs again. If we would have made it to the bengals, it would have been more like playing the Ravens or Colts. We could have won, we could have lost but ultimately the chiefs are the team to beat and we did much better this year coming within 13 seconds of being 2-0 in their house as opposed to getting stomped 0-2 last year.

Edited by What a Tuel

7 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Maybe because in playoffs Bills are 3-0 at home and 0-4 on the road? 

Fair enough…But that’s also skewed a bit from the first 2 playoff years where we were not a great team.

Looking at this year, we didn’t exactly defend our house in spectacular fashion.

6 hours ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Josh became truly elite with his 2 incredible performances in the post season. Sean was also exposed as impotent at critical times. Thus we must conclude the team took a step forward because Josh has experienced  bad coaching  compromising certain victory and ownership seeing  on field bad decisions by Sean's staff and how a change in approach must be installed. 

Well we may not agree on Edmunds but we sure agree on this excellent point. So incredibly pissed over Sean's mental breakdown on those last 3 plays.

I went with sideways.  The offense was up and down. The defense was better against the run, but gave up long TD runs.  The team had extremes in their games for example @Jax, NE, @NE, Indy.  Great offensive showing in the playoffs but they exited the playoffs earlier.  And they lost their best defender to an ACL. They were truly a bipolar team.

Measured by total QBR the Bills faced the worst group of qbs this season that any team has faced since 2006 when the stat was created. 

The difference between expected wins based on their schedule and their  actual wins was the largest deficit in the league.

In other words the Bills played an historically bad collection of qbs this season and underachieved. 

It's hard for me to consider this season a step forward when they played such an easy schedule and then lost the biggest game in such a humiliatingly incompetent manner.  The path to SB victory may not ever be as easy as it was this year. 

Individual players took steps forward but as a team it was sideways for me, hopefully next year is the big step forward.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well we may not agree on Edmunds but we sure agree on this excellent point. So incredibly pissed over Sean's mental breakdown on those last 3 plays.

Everybody sees Edmunds differently, he’s polarizing for sure. Maybe Sean's usage of him doesn't maximize his skill set. He might need a fresh start somewhere. He’s young.

22 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

imo I'd also add that running game finally improved quite a bit so definitely a step forward there too

All the best teams have functioning run games, it’s imperative to keep a defense guessing, and not able to key in on one’s passing game, and visa versa, for that matter.  Imo our personnel usage needs to get better, as was demonstrated by players such as…, Bates, Davis, and McKenzie. Going forward I expect to see the best players playing regardless of draft position/seniority, etc etc. Very high hopes for our new offensive coaching staff. 

Go Bills!!!

I voted other - status quo.  They won the AFC East again and played in 2 playoff games.  The offense and Josh Allen played better in this year's playoffs games.  The defense really missed Tre White in the Chiefs game allowing 550 yards.

Two years ago, the Hail Murray loss to Arizona resonated with the Bills.  This past season was a struggle starting with the Pittsburgh game.  They finally got on a roll and lost a winnable playoff game.  

The Bills have some real professionals on their roster and the past season's struggles will bring greater focus.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.