Just saying... Jim Schwartz is out there looking for DC job

tomur67

22 minutes ago, motorj said:

They both played KC, they looked and played like they switched defensive rankings 

The bills defense gave up 17 points after the bills offense failed to successfully execute a four minute offense on Davis' third td.

Against the Bills, the Chiefs got the ball back with 1:56 or whatever with all their timeouts.

The Bengals successfully ran a four minute offense and the Chiefs had no timeouts.

Having to chase Hill on that next td, destroyed their chance to get a stop in overtime imo.

The Bills had a great defense who Schwartz was DC, but they had built that defense to play his style.  There is zero chance the Bills want to start over, building a new defense, when we're in the SB window NOW.  Plus look at all the high draft picks on our D -- we've invested so much in building Frazier's and McDermott's idea of how a D is supposed to work.  

It was Wrecks Ryan who pushed Schwartz out.  I don't think Schwartz would hold a grudge against the Bills.  But for the reasons I mentioned I think he's the wrong man for the job.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buftex said:

A guy who made his mark as an assistant as a defensive coach is not likely to hire someone like Schwartz, who runs a much different kind of defense.  Like it or not, we have a defensive coordinator in place, who has had a top 10 defense as long as he has been here.  He must be doing something right...even if he isn't doing everything right. In the end, the defensive collapse is on McDermott.

2 hours ago, billrooter said:

The defense last year certainly wasn't a top ten defense, and the defense this year was a bit overated as stated. ScHwartz is a great coordinator, better than Frazier  IMO but he does run a defense that is totally different.

It was 12th. 

statistically the no. 1 defense playing against some really putrid offenses.  YOu have to really look at how they played against better teams.  They have/had a real problem getting gashed for big gains on the run game.  the pats game in the wind was the prime example of not being able to stop the run.  They couldn't even slightly slow down kc which other teams like the bengals were able to accomplish.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HardyBoy said:

The bills defense gave up 17 points after the bills offense failed to successfully execute a four minute offense on Davis' third td.

Against the Bills, the Chiefs got the ball back with 1:56 or whatever with all their timeouts.

The Bengals successfully ran a four minute offense and the Chiefs had no timeouts.

Having to chase Hill on that next td, destroyed their chance to get a stop in overtime imo.

Having to chase Hill on that TD also probably is the reason they tied the game.  I’m not sure if the Bills could keep KC out of the endzone.  They still could have scored a TD leaving the Bills with less time to operate.  

The larger issue is the defense’s inability to make a crucial stop when they need to.  I said the same thing and a moderator on this board called me “dumb” for pointing it out.  SMH 

1 minute ago, larrym said:

statistically the no. 1 defense playing against some really putrid offenses.  YOu have to really look at how they played against better teams.  They have/had a real problem getting gashed for big gains on the run game.  the pats game in the wind was the prime example of not being able to stop the run.  They couldn't even slightly slow down kc which other teams like the bengals were able to accomplish.  

I’ve said this as well.  When it mattered they struggled to literally get just one stop when they needed to in big game.  We saw thing against Tennessee and Kansas City where they allowed scores on just about every drive towards the end of the game.  

Is it scheme or players?  I think it’s a mix of both

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, motorj said:

#1 defense outplayed by the bungals #18 defense

2 years of playing KC in the playoffs. Gave up a total of 80 points.  Our spectacular #1 D held them to only 42 points. At least the Cincinnati defense was smart enough to keep Mahomes in the pocket.  Last year Tampa simply bull rushed him into panic situations. There's no one on the planet that can convince me we ever had a #1 D this year.  Not with all the garbage qbs we faced. Our D wasn't battle tested and it showed v. KC. And as much as Frazier bores me, McD calls half the plays so the bulk of the blame goes on him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Having to chase Hill on that TD also probably is the reason they tied the game.  I’m not sure if the Bills could keep KC out of the endzone.  They still could have scored a TD leaving the Bills with less time to operate.  

The larger issue is the defense’s inability to make a crucial stop when they need to.  I said the same thing and a moderator on this board called me “dumb” for pointing it out.  SMH 

I’ve said this as well.  When it mattered they struggled to literally get just one stop when they needed to in big game.  We saw thing against Tennessee and Kansas City where they allowed scores on just about every drive towards the end of the game.  

Is it scheme or players?  I think it’s a mix of both

It is a combo. An extremely over ranked defense supported by an over-rated defensive HC.  He had a 16-0 lead in Houston. A 9-0 lead last year and the game winning td from our heroic qb, only to fail miserably all 3 times.  See a trend here? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It is a combo. An extremely over ranked defense supported by an over-rated defensive HC.  He had a 16-0 lead in Houston. A 9-0 lead last year and the game winning td from our heroic qb, only to fail miserably all 3 times.  See a trend here? 

I think you are off base here.  While I can’t defend the defense over the final :13, I think McDermott is a very good coach and definitely not overrated.  It sounds like you’re looking for a scapegoat, because while he deserves criticism for this seasons game versus KC, Your examples really aren’t the best.

The Bills lost against Houston because of Josh Allen.  Period.  He had a meltdown and we all know it.  Josh lost that game.  

Second, a 9-0 lead in 1Q against the best offense in the NFL last season is hardly “blowing it.”  The Bills were outmatched and slow on defense compared to Kansas City.  Josh also struggled in the face of a bad performance from his OL.  Coaching didn’t lose this game, it was a personnel issue.  

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, larrym said:

giving up 45 points to J. Taylor was another. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Over-board Bills mafia?

6 hours ago, recovery96 said:

Yes, but we can’t ignore the QB’s we faced off against. I know #1, but let’s not act like we had the best defense in the league, because we didn’t.

It's arguable either way. DVOA adjusts for strength of schedule, and they had the Bills #1.

Top five, anyway.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Which trend? The one where if you ignore all the good things and only look at the bad things, that things look pretty bad?

That's not a trend. It's the result of partial information leaving only a partial picture.

By using this methodology, finding three bad games in two years, we can conclusively prove that for the 2000 Ravens "things look pretty bad" on defense. I mean, within two years they allowed 35 points to a 9-7 Chiefs squad, 31 points to the 4-12 Bengals and 36 points to the 7-9 Jags. They must suck. I mean, sure, most consider them one of the greatest Ds in history, but still, having three bad games apparently proves you're no good.

Same with the '85 Bears. Having allowed, in their championship year and the one before, 38 points to the  Dolphins, 28 points to the 2-14 Bucs, 44 points to the Bears, 38 to the Cardinals and 29 to the Rams, they must bite also.

No, I'm not saying that the Bills D this year ranks with those Ds. But I am pointing out that even the absolute best defenses have bad games. That's the way it works.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.