Rather excited to have a new OC

78thealltimegreat

8 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Feels like Dab+17 were in a groove the past 2 yrs. I see this at work too. people get in a groove job-wise in about yr 3. I would have liked to see another year. But, it’s a real truth that  another OC should bring new learning for 17. 

Let's not forget that until the win in NE this season was generally viewed as a big disappointment and that the team at that point had been the most inconsistent team the NFL has seen since 1983 as measured by NFL DVOA.

It wasn't all good.

The insistence on that ineffective stretch zone run game was particularly frustrating.

It all came together GREAT in the wildcard game and much of the divisional game..........but it was a frustrating season for the offense.

• Agree 3

Just now, Bangarang said:

I don’t think that’s a good idea. 

Why? Our run game struggled hard most of the season.

I’m not saying Allen should be the passing game coordinator. But the next step is towards Manning and Brady’s ability to process things lightning quick and make checks at the line. Allen being able to handle more play-calling responsibilities is a good thing.

44 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Why? Our run game struggled hard most of the season.

I’m not saying Allen should be the passing game coordinator. But the next step is towards Manning and Brady’s ability to process things lightning quick and make checks at the line. Allen being able to handle more play-calling responsibilities is a good thing.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to try and force that much responsibility on Allen. 

21 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’d be more excited about a new DC, which sadly doesn’t look like it will be happening. 

You do realize Frazier & McDermott run the D not just Frazier??? 

just saying…. Getting rid of the DC isn’t changing the mindset from the top 

16 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Daboll is a pretty creative guy.  Maybe not the best play caller but I felt good at developing an offense and gameplan.  Allen for the most part is deciding the play at the line.  

Remember when the QBs called their own plays?  It’s been a while.

On 1/29/2022 at 2:11 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Daboll's been terrific.

The tendency for fans is to give the QB credit for the good stuff and blame the OC for the bad stuff.

That's how it has worked here, and Daboll has caught a lot of unwarranted crap over it.

I was thinking about that after the 4th and goal call to start the KC game.  He would've been crucified for a toss to Singletary instead of keeping it in Allen's arms.  The play worked so it was a good run by Singletary.  Whoever the new OC is will be under an intense microscope. 

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think it’s a good idea to try and force that much responsibility on Allen. 

I wasn’t envisioning it as forcing. I think he wants to be able to do what Brady and Manning did. If he were completely unprepared that’s fine and maybe that’s true, but that seems like the next step in his evolution at QB. 

Maybe Chad Hall is ready to step up to the plate? I’d prefer someone that has done it before but Hall is young, energetic and knows our players and offense. He’s a bright guy having graduated from the Air Force Academy. I wouldn’t discount him getting the job.

https://bufbills.com/player-bios/chad_hall.pdf

Edited by Beast

On 1/29/2022 at 2:11 AM, Thurman#1 said:

This'n.

Hopefully the new guy will do a great job. But there's likely to be adjustment, which will take time. And some new hires fail. Some do terrific, but some fail.

Daboll's been terrific.

The tendency for fans is to give the QB credit for the good stuff and blame the OC for the bad stuff.

That's how it has worked here, and Daboll has caught a lot of unwarranted crap over it.

He’s actually been given too much credit by some and hasn’t been held accountable for a lot also. He was often to slow to react or didn’t have answers for pressure, he took way too long to develop a running game and even then didn’t understand it’s limitations, never developed a proper screen game, relied o Josh’s legs to bail out poor execution or poor play design or play calling. Not always the best at utilizing the strengths of his assets, and often got away from what was working. 
He absolutely has had great success here, but even in his last game all his flaws were exposed. Has a good scripted opening drive, then went conservative until they finally had to unleash Allen. Having a series with 3 runs and a punt was ridiculous, running on 3rd and 4 without knowing you will go for it on 4th down inexcusable. Yes wonderful if you succeed there, but you didn’t, he chose Singletary over Allen to make a difference when that has never been sustainable. 
Any competent OC. can succeed with Allen, but we need more than that so we don’t piss Josh’s best years away….

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I wasn’t envisioning it as forcing. I think he wants to be able to do what Brady and Manning did. If he were completely unprepared that’s fine and maybe that’s true, but that seems like the next step in his evolution at QB. 

I just don’t see the need. Just hire an OC that can do it all and let Allen continue to be great. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I just don’t see the need. Just hire an OC that can do it all and let Allen continue to be great. 

You don’t see the upside in letting our young and talented but relatively inexperienced qb take on peyton Manning level responsibility? 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You don’t see the upside in letting our young and talented but relatively inexperienced qb take on peyton Manning level responsibility? 

Not sure i'd call him inexperienced.

He will be entering his 5th season in the NFL.

Brady had 3 Super Bowl rings by this point.

43 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t think it’s important. Josh will have his input just like every other QB but I don’t need him to have his hand in designing the passing game and calling plays. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.