Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Here’s a fun exercise.

Go to Pro Football Reference, search up names of top LBs this year. 

Go to advanced game logs for 2021, note it has how many times a LB was targeted in coverage, what the completions and percentage were. Go look at all the LBs you’d rather have over Edmunds. Look at their missed tackle percentage. 

Now go look up Edmunds. His numbers are rock solid. Completion percentage against him is respectable, and his targets are low. Read that again, go double check the numbers. His targets are low. They should be sky high, triple digits. QBs don’t challenge him much. Why?

Why? Because he’s steady and consistent. He defends a respectable amount of passes (this was actually his worst statistical year in coverage) and he misses a low percentage of tackles. 

I think I understand what the coaches absolutely love about this kid. He’s a great leader, great field communicator, and he’s consistently steady (even though fans want splashy). 

Fun side note, after go check Matt Milano’s numbers. Dude is an elite coverage LB which also plays into why Edmunds doesn’t always pass the eye test.

78% of intelligent fans with eye balls disagree with you.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

78% of intelligent fans with eye balls disagree with you.  

That’s fine, the coaches don’t seem to 🤷🏻‍♂️

Most NFL LBs aren’t good in coverage. Edmunds is on par with everyone else. He’d just be swapped out with someone slower, weaker, smaller, and older. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Most NFL LBs aren’t good in coverage. Edmunds is on par with everyone else. He’d just be swapped out with someone slower, weaker, smaller, and older. 

No one argues his great ability to guard TE's or RB'S in pass coverage. But you absolutely have to admit his football instincts in run support are absolutely embarrassing. Last I checked every time we play a team with a marquee rb, what are we supposed to do with Edmunds.  Hide him? I would rather have a MLB who's good at both sides of his job, then a guy great at coverage but sucks at run support. And if Tremaine is so spectacular (PFF rating of 1 billion) why the hell wasn't his 6-5 frame covering Kelce on that game winning td? I'll hang up and listen.....

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Fantastic....so you're saying that our MLB sucks in pass coverage AND run stuffing. Wonderful. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Many LB's have deficiencies. Edmunds has deficiencies that are obvious to most of us. The problem with that is the fact Edmunds' deficiencies now are the same deficiencies he had when we drafted him. He hasn't really matured as a player the way we thought or hoped he would imo. The game still hasn't clicked for him mentally and at times he has been a liability out there guessing the wrong gaps or getting lost in coverage.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, H2o said:

Many LB's have deficiencies. Edmunds has deficiencies that are obvious to most of us. The problem with that is the fact Edmunds' deficiencies now are the same deficiencies he had when we drafted him. He hasn't really matured as a player the way we thought or hoped he would imo. The game still hasn't clicked for him mentally and at times he has been a liability out there guessing the wrong gaps or getting lost in coverage.  

He was guessing at 19, he'll be guessing at 32 if he lasts that long? 

I think Edmunds is better than people here generally give him credit for. If we get rid of him, this defense will get worse unless we somehow draft some stud or pay a lot to someone else in FA.

That being said, I'd strongly consider trading him, and if not, I'd strongly consider not extending him. We will not be able to pay everybody, and we just have to let go some guys. And I'd probably rather keep and pay Knox and Oliver (which will not be easy anyway).

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Fantastic....so you're saying that our MLB sucks in pass coverage AND run stuffing. Wonderful. 

No. 

Edmunds fairs pretty well against the run. Not elite, not great, but solid.

What I’m saying is if allowing 75% completions ‘sucks’ for a LB, the the overwhelming majority of NFL Linebackers suck. 

Target Bobby Wagner 10 times in coverage, you’ll complete 8. 

6 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Drafting Lloyd, Dean or Chad Muma would allow Edmunds to move to OLB to prove he can play there. He's definitely not a MLB 

In this defense at that position, expect a similar ‘stat line’ and hope he can ‘quarterback’ the defense as well as Edmunds does. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

In this defense at that position, expect a similar ‘stat line’ and hope he can ‘quarterback’ the defense as well as Edmunds does. 

PFF Analytics has him at 46 among NFL LBs, already surpassed by two rookie linebackers out of Ohio State. Stat lines? Average at best, and slipping behind rookies. Not encouraging for a guy once hyped as Defensive ROY and as Defensive POY, falling way short of expectations.

35 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No. 

Edmunds fairs pretty well against the run. Not elite, not great, but solid.

What I’m saying is if allowing 75% completions ‘sucks’ for a LB, the the overwhelming majority of NFL Linebackers suck. 

Target Bobby Wagner 10 times in coverage, you’ll complete 8. 

Andy, you know I'm just having fun with you, right? But for what it's worth...I actually don't like Edmunds against the run way more than I don't like him in coverage.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How awesome was that when we gave up 500 yards plus of offense against the Chiefs a few weeks ago?… a game in which Edmunds again was completely manipulated and exposed. 

Because it was just Edmunds, everyone else was great.

He isn’t perfect, but he’s not at easily replaceable as everyone thinks. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Andy, you know I'm just having fun with you, right? But for what it's worth...I actually don't like Edmunds against the run way more than I don't like him in coverage.

No lol I kicked a bee hive and started swatting! 

I’ll definitely agree I wish we used him differently, I feel like MLB highlights his weaknesses and limits his strengths. 

19 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

PFF Analytics has him at 46 among NFL LBs, already surpassed by two rookie linebackers out of Ohio State. Stat lines? Average at best, and slipping behind rookies. Not encouraging for a guy once hyped as Defensive ROY and as Defensive POY, falling way short of expectations.

PFF is a joke. He should be the most targeted LB in the NFL in pass coverage, right? How’d the rookies do in pass defense this year? 

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Here’s a fun exercise.

Go to Pro Football Reference, search up names of top LBs this year. 

Go to advanced game logs for 2021, note it has how many times a LB was targeted in coverage, what the completions and percentage were. Go look at all the LBs you’d rather have over Edmunds. Look at their missed tackle percentage. 

Now go look up Edmunds. His numbers are rock solid. Completion percentage against him is respectable, and his targets are low. Read that again, go double check the numbers. His targets are low. They should be sky high, triple digits. QBs don’t challenge him much. Why?

Why? Because he’s steady and consistent. He defends a respectable amount of passes (this was actually his worst statistical year in coverage) and he misses a low percentage of tackles. 

I think I understand what the coaches absolutely love about this kid. He’s a great leader, great field communicator, and he’s consistently steady (even though fans want splashy). 

Fun side note, after go check Matt Milano’s numbers. Dude is an elite coverage LB which also plays into why Edmunds doesn’t always pass the eye test.

You and I have different concepts of what a “fun exercise” should consist of.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

PFF is a joke. He should be the most targeted LB in the NFL in pass coverage, right? How’d the rookies do in pass defense this year? 

How did Edmunds do? He looked silly watching Hill and Perriman run by him or behind him across the middle. He has no idea where a receiver is in his zone, and winds up trailing the play. Teams see Edmunds as a liability, passing on him at will. I remember Romo commenting on a play against KC that Poyer thought he had help inside. Who is Romo referring to? We constantly see Edmunds get easily taken out by blockers. Is it the scheme? The DL? He's the defensive QB, running the D. I wish someone had a chart of Edmunds tackles. We watched Kiko Alonso make tackles, and I don't think Edmunds is a huge improvement, despite the size and athletic advantage. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Zabka said:

The most hilarious excuse from the Edmunds apologists is that Mcdermott doesn't want Edmunds to make big plays because his defense isn't designed for it. Even though Edmunds plays the Luke Keuchly position who made big play after big play back in the day for Carolina.

I thought the exact same thing, like their jobs are the things you dont notice, like tackles, sacks, ints, pass breakups, forced fumbles.    Like somehow theyre coached not to do those things, they have other responsibilities.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.