Return of the Mack?

filthymcnasty08

It still feels dirty to start a thread on a specific player we "must get" to patch the hole.  This player, however, should have been in a Bills uni from draft day.  I remember vividly the poop-eating grins on the face of our GM/President (as they pissed away picks to move up in a uniquely WR-rich draft), and I thought it was for this guy, then they took.....Sammy Watkins.  When they had a need for a pass rusher, a supreme talent and the best UB football product of all time.

Khalil Mack

He's at the point in his career where he could plug-into a contender and be a difference maker.  They're still "blowing it up" and rebuilding in Chicago.  Has 3-5 good years left.  This is one I would trade for that immediately impacts the defense with leadership and a little nastiness.  He ended the season early with an injury and probably could be had without breaking the bank.

Still emotional, and not clear-headed, but he's always seemed destined to be in a Bills uni.

For whatever it's worth.  Luv ya all Mafia....heartbroken.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

If only.  Look at what Von Miller did in the game Saturday against the Bucs.  The Bills DL, despite the massive investment in picks and money, scares nobody.  Starting from scratch i'm not sure who you keep besides Oliver?  In any case, shed some of the deadweight, lobby Mack to come home!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, dorquemada said:

If only.  Look at what Von Miller did in the game Saturday against the Bucs.  The Bills DL, despite the massive investment in picks and money, scares nobody.  Starting from scratch i'm not sure who you keep besides Oliver?  In any case, shed some of the deadweight, lobby Mack to come home!

True. When Beane sat on his hands at the trade deadline I thought "what if one key acquisition would be enough to pull off a victory in just one playoff game." And yes, it is very possible that someone like Von could've made the difference. One sack, one forced fumble, one play where Mahomes would've had to throw it away to avoid a sack instead of scrambling around until someone came open ... the margin was really that slim last night.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I'm still stunned and pissed by our loss last night but the one consistent that we have had most of the season is the lack of a pass rush. We have no one on our D-Line that neither strikes fear on the opposing team or a team will have to game plan around. We desperately need that person.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

I'm still stunned and pissed by our loss last night but the one consistent that we have had most of the season is the lack of a pass rush. We have no one on our D-Line that neither strikes fear on the opposing team or a team will have to game plan around. We desperately need that person.

I vividly remember a few plays where our D-Line didnt even rush. They just stood there and barely moved. Literally could not believe my eyes. Someone is going to argue that they were gassed but isnt the point of the d-line rotation to keep guys fresh? Overall, thought the gameplan was atrocious. Daboll locked up a job, Frazier probably lost his.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Harry. I keep Harrison Phillips

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Bean has done a horrific job with the DL.  He's much better with offseason pickups.  Hopefully Mack can be one.  And someone needs to ask Bean why we didn't land Von Miller.  

18 minutes ago, Frostbite said:

I vividly remember a few plays where our D-Line didnt even rush. They just stood there and barely moved. Literally could not believe my eyes. Someone is going to argue that they were gassed but isnt the point of the d-line rotation to keep guys fresh? Overall, thought the gameplan was atrocious. Daboll locked up a job, Frazier probably lost his.

hopefully Frazier lots his as a Bills coach.  I'm worried he "lost" a new job, and MCD will keep him around.  

27 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. When Beane sat on his hands at the trade deadline I thought "what if one key acquisition would be enough to pull off a victory in just one playoff game." And yes, it is very possible that someone like Von could've made the difference. One sack, one forced fumble, one play where Mahomes would've had to throw it away to avoid a sack instead of scrambling around until someone came open ... the margin was really that slim last night.

always is in big games.  We don't have a big game FO or coaching staff.  Welcome to Miami should be our theme song.  We are the 90's Dolphins.  Elite QB, and nothing else.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Beane and McDermott put too much faith in that Carolina connection, Butler and Addison. Butler has been a colossal failure. Adequate for Addison. I also think they saw the potential in Rousseau and thought they were good. I personally think that the window of opportunity to win a SB is now and it's time for the Bills to push some of their chips to the middle of the table

I would love Mack. I have to say, our pass rush wasn't good obviously, but it was so vanilla. No sort of gaming, twists, zone blitz type stuff.

But Mack makes a ton of sense. We are in that late first round right now, kind of like the Diggs trade, where moving that pick for a known commodity won't kill us.  

Look to Washington, where they will not be able to re-sign all of those first round d-linemen. 

Depending who the Broncos bring in to coach, would they do Chubb for Edmunds? I would. Both guys could maybe use a fresh start. 5th year option for 5th year option. 

And then you have free agents like Von Miller, Chandler Jones, melvin Ingram. 

Just throwing ideas out there, but there needs to be some change at all three levels of the defense imo. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Mack or TJ Watt. Do whatever it takes. You need an edge rusher that can get consistent pressure regardless the matchup. Good bye Addison and Hughes. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass. 

Or Chandler Jones

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would love Mack. I have to say, our pass rush wasn't good obviously, but it was so vanilla. No sort of gaming, twists, zone blitz type stuff.

But Mack makes a ton of sense. We are in that late first round right now, kind of like the Diggs trade, where moving that pick for a known commodity won't kill us.  

Look to Washington, where they will not be able to re-sign all of those first round d-linemen. 

Depending who the Broncos bring in to coach, would they do Chubb for Edmunds? I would. Both guys could maybe use a fresh start. 5th year option for 5th year option. 

And then you have free agents like Von Miller, Chandler Jones, melvin Ingram. 

Just throwing ideas out there, but there needs to be some change at all three levels of the defense imo. 

Let's not forget Ingram was sitting out there too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

It still feels dirty to start a thread on a specific player we "must get" to patch the hole.  This player, however, should have been in a Bills uni from draft day.  I remember vividly the poop-eating grins on the face of our GM/President (as they pissed away picks to move up in a uniquely WR-rich draft), and I thought it was for this guy, then they took.....Sammy Watkins.  When they had a need for a pass rusher, a supreme talent and the best UB football product of all time.

Khalil Mack

He's at the point in his career where he could plug-into a contender and be a difference maker.  They're still "blowing it up" and rebuilding in Chicago.  Has 3-5 good years left.  This is one I would trade for that immediately impacts the defense with leadership and a little nastiness.  He ended the season early with an injury and probably could be had without breaking the bank.

Still emotional, and not clear-headed, but he's always seemed destined to be in a Bills uni.

For whatever it's worth.  Luv ya all Mafia....heartbroken.

The pass rush was there Mahomes escaped it and without White our defense couldn’t cover. Dane Jackson made a few costly penalties that allowed the chiefs to continue drives when they had stalled. And Daboll took the ball out of Josh Allen’s hands after our defense held KC to a field goal on a big stop and a TD or even a nice drive would have put us in the drivers seat. Instead Daboll ran the ball we punted and the rest is history. Every possession matters in the postseason. Daboll wasn’t a great game day coach. All 3 of our coaches are great coaches until gameday. McDermott though atleast learns from his mistakes 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t think it does. The whole contract and all its implications is transferred to the receiving team. 

It depends.   The Julio Jones trade had to happen when it did or else the Falcons were on the hook for like 25 million.

Let me check this...

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

People refuse to believe this is an average defence with almost no elite level talent or play makers other than White.  They cost the game 3 years ago in Houston when they allowed Watson to make huge second half comeback.  They cost us the game last season when just like yesterday Kelce and Hill ran all over them playing pitch and catch with Mahomes and yesterday again that final 13 secs was the ultimate collapse. Time for a change,  including a new coordinator and players who can make plays.  Even Ingram for the Chiefs who they got for a 5th rounder at the deadline was more of a factor then some of our DL

I am just tired of listening to Sean with his... we need to work to get better BS line" at some point the only way you get better is start replacing players who cannot make plays when you need them

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

....Julio’s salary for 2022 was set to be $11.5 million. When combined with the prorated bonus amount of $7.75 million, he was originally going to account for $19.2 million in cap space for the 2022 season. The Falcons no longer have to pay his salary, but the remaining two years of his prorated bonus have to be accounted for in 2022. This means he will have a dead money hit of $15.5 million (7.75 for 2022, 7.75 for 2023 - the last year of the contract extension).

That’s a painful dead money hit, but the team will ultimately save about $3.7 million in cap space due to not paying his salary (original 19.2 million cap hit - 15.5 million dead money). It’s not a huge savings, but the team will need it. As it stands right now, they have 39 players under contract for the 2022 season and will have about $15 million in cap space (assuming the NFL lives up to the projected salary cap ceiling of $208 million). 

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/6/9/22524180/falcons-julio-jones-trade-titans-nfl-salary-cap-2021-2022

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

A trade doesn't leave dead cap space does it?

30 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I don’t think it does. The whole contract and all its implications is transferred to the receiving team. 

Anything left to be paid out on guaranteed money does hit as dead cap....wven in a trade. According to SPOTRAC his is $24M.

That's a lot of coin to pay a guy of his caliber to play for someone else.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

The pass rush was there Mahomes escaped it and without White our defense couldn’t cover. Dane Jackson made a few costly penalties that allowed the chiefs to continue drives when they had stalled. And Daboll took the ball out of Josh Allen’s hands after our defense held KC to a field goal on a big stop and a TD or even a nice drive would have put us in the drivers seat. Instead Daboll ran the ball we punted and the rest is history. Every possession matters in the postseason. Daboll wasn’t a great game day coach. All 3 of our coaches are great coaches until gameday. McDermott though atleast learns from his mistakes 

The final 13 seconds was enough to fire Frazier.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

The hold on Jackson was ticky-tack.  Cost us four points.  Yes, it was a hold, but . . . In a game where the players were allowed to play that was cheap. 

4 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Anything left to be paid out on guaranteed money does hit as dead cap....wven in a trade. According to SPOTRAC his is $24M.

That's a lot of coin to pay a guy of his caliber to play for someone else.

Will they be paying him to play somewhere else? I get the Bears will be left with a lot dead cap space. I get that the Bears would still be saving some cap space by trading him. But dead cap space is just a hit on the salary cap calculation. So, who picks up the tab for the guaranteed money still owed? Is it the new team?

8 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Will they be paying him to play somewhere else? I get the Bears will be left with a lot dead cap space. I get that the Bears would still be saving some cap space by trading him. But dead cap space is just a hit on the salary cap calculation. So, who picks up the tab for the guaranteed money still owed? Is it the new team?

No. Team that he's coming from would play for guaranteed money still owed. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.