RIP - Don Maynard

Spiderweb

Rest in peace Dom Maynard. Great WR (hof) played with the Jets in mid 60's when I began following the Bills (1966)..

"Pro Football Hall of Famer, New York Jets great Don Maynard dies at age 86" https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33035848/pro-football-hall-famer-new-york-jets-great-maynard-dies-age-86

Edited by Spiderweb

Maynard was a great player and was always associated with the Jets.  As far as I know he was a first-class gentleman.  I hope he didn't die of a broken heart, seeing them with yet another losing season and another year not making the playoffs.  

Booker got toasted all the time by #13

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Don Maynard, Fred Biletnikoff, and Lance Alworth made up three pretty amazing WR in the old AFL.

Actually they didn't call them WR back then, they were either split ends or flankers.  Those names did tend to sound a bit sexier than WR.  Not sure what prompted the change??

Lionel Taylor, Elbert and Charlie Hennigan

The flanker or flankerback was originally a halfback motioned out or set out to the flank of the T formation.  He was the receiver off the LOS.  On the other side, the end split out to the flank was the "split end."  The other end tight to the tackle was the "tight end."

Clark Shaughnessy is usually credited with the innovation of motioning out the halfback.  Note that Shaughnessy did not invent the concept of man in motion but maximized its effectiveness.  

Shaughnessy was one of the greatest innovators in the game of football.

I'll end with a question: why are offensive tackles called tackles?  They don't tackle anyone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Rest in peace Dom Maynard. Great WR (hof) played with the Jets in mid 60's when I began following the Bills (1966)..

"Pro Football Hall of Famer, New York Jets great Don Maynard dies at age 86" https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33035848/pro-football-hall-famer-new-york-jets-great-maynard-dies-age-86

R.I.P. 

Used to be a big fan of his when they weren't playing the Bills.

He started with the Giants late 50’s -mostly kick returns. Hooked up with the Titans (of NNY) when the AFL began play and was instrumental in getting Namath in the HOF.  iirc, he only had 1 catch in their miracle SB win over Baltimore. He injured his hamstring against the Raiders in the title game, then re-injured it very early in the SB on a long incompletion, but the damage was done as the Colts double teamed him the rest of the way, opening the running of Snell & Boozer. No AFL segment is complete without a Maynard catch on a bomb from Joe Willie 

RIP Don. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

10 hours ago, Old Coot said:

The flanker or flankerback was originally a halfback motioned out or set out to the flank of the T formation.  He was the receiver off the LOS.  On the other side, the end split out to the flank was the "split end."  The other end tight to the tackle was the "tight end."

Clark Shaughnessy is usually credited with the innovation of motioning out the halfback.  Note that Shaughnessy did not invent the concept of man in motion but maximized its effectiveness.  

Shaughnessy was one of the greatest innovators in the game of football.

I'll end with a question: why are offensive tackles called tackles?  They don't tackle anyone.

Yeah they do, just ask the officials.  Almost every play!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.