Eighty Years Ago Today....

Tiberius

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

And the real prize the IJN was seeking...our 4 carriers stationed at Pearl...were "out to sea on maneuvers."

Coincidence?  Luck?  Timing?

Or more?!

There are plenty of theories suggesting the U.S. knew in advance that the attack was coming.  

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And the real prize the IJN was seeking...our 4 carriers stationed at Pearl...were "out to sea on maneuvers."

Coincidence?  Luck?  Timing?

Or more?!

Could they (the carrier fleet) have been out looking for them?

I know it sounds out there... But, who would have known true intentions back then.  Brass keeps quiet, goes about business... I find it hard to believe maneuvers are just maneuvers. They are floating out there for a reason. Sadly the Japanese got through faster than you can say Damien Harris pops a 64 yard TD run...

...But they awoke a sleeping giant.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

For those interested, this is one of the best accounts of the Japanese attacks I have seen so far.  

It's excellent.  Explains in detail what happened and why.  

How stupid. There was no way this attack was going to hurt the United States long term. Sometimes people believe their own propaganda, America is weak because they let women have rights. 

45 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I was reading about the attack last week.  I didn't know that on that day the IJN not only attacked Pearl Harbor but they also attacked the Philippines, Hong Kong, and other strategic areas of SE Asia.  Very bold...too bold. 

Bold to run 46 times last night and pass 3 times! 

The Japanese needed oil! Desperate people do bold, desperate things for their imperial conquests.

Like the Cheatriots need to make the playoffs.   We got 'em @ Midway like we gonna get them at Foxborough! 😉 

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Japanese needed oil! Desperate people do bold, desperate things for their imperial conquests.

Like the Cheatriots need to make the playoffs.   We got 'em @ Midway like we gonna get them at Foxborough! 😉 

I'm gonna start calling Josh "A-Bomb"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

How stupid. There was no way this attack was going to hurt the United States long term. Sometimes people believe their own propaganda, America is weak because they let women have rights. 

WTF is this?

Sounds like you believe your own propaganda. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

There are plenty of theories suggesting the U.S. knew in advance that the attack was coming.  

The US didn't.

Far, far more likely that the British did know, but there is no compelling evidence that anybody really knew, though they should have.

Embryonic intel performance, but ultimately, a Japanese suicide.

44 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bold?  No....brilliant.  You all are still pissed that it wasn't Brady that had the Bills number it's Belichick.  He's kicked the how many Bills' coachs' asses over the years? 

And the jealousy train rolls on and on.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

download-15.jpg.3f268dc18344baa7f1cec0782da0fcc7.jpg

The empire of Japan attacked our outpost in Hawaii 

We were finally in World War 2 

Yamamoto was educated in the US.  Was impressed by the vastness of the country, and our industrial resources.  Based on that, he warned against attacking the US, but was ignored. 

Just now, Marv's Neighbor said:

Yamamoto was educated in the US.  Was impressed by the vastness of the country, and our industrial resources.  Based on that, he warned against attacking the US, but was ignored. 

Yup, the army was in control. They made fun of Yamamoto for using the fleet as his body guard. 

I’m watching a 2 hour episode on the History Channel right now. Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After. I’ve seen it before, but had forgotten how badly McArthur comes off. How does he get caught with his pants down twice. Is there more to it? How is he not ready when they hit the Philippines less than 24 hours after Pearl Harbor? He supposedly swore they were ready.  If you’re into conspiracies, isn’t Pearl Harbor enough to get the country fired up? 

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Could they (the carrier fleet) have been out looking for them?

I know it sounds out there... But, who would have known true intentions back then.  Brass keeps quiet, goes about business... I find it hard to believe maneuvers are just maneuvers. They are floating out there for a reason. Sadly the Japanese got through faster than you can say Damien Harris pops a 64 yard TD run...

...But they awoke a sleeping giant.

I came to this thread to escape those thoughts! It’s OK, we all cope in the ways we see fit. I run away and hide!  :)

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m watching a 2 hour episode on the History Channel right now. Pearl Harbor: 24 Hours After. I’ve seen it before, but had forgotten how badly McArthur comes off. How does he get caught with his pants down twice. Is there more to it? How is he not ready when they hit the Philippines less than 24 hours after Pearl Harbor? He supposedly swore they were ready.  If you’re into conspiracies, isn’t Pearl Harbor enough to get the country fired up? 

I came to this thread to escape those thoughts! It’s OK, we all cope in the ways we see fit. I run away and hide!  :)

You don't strike me as an escapee. 😉 😜 

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You don't strike me as an escapee. 😉 😜 

There IS no escaping, but I do the best I can! I try to hide behind the couch. Best I got.  🤷‍♀️

Everybody has all the answers! If only TBD could run the Bills we would be declared the Super Bowl victor and handed the trophy in preseason with the other 31 teams playing a tournament for second place.  Have a thought? Start a thread! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Bold?  No....brilliant.  You all are still pissed that it wasn't Brady that had the Bills number it's Belichick.  He's kicked the how many Bills' coachs' asses over the years? 

And the jealousy train rolls on and on.  

For me it's hatred, not jealousy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I agree with this sans the jealousy part.

That’s the most accurate part of my post. LOL

4 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

For me it's hatred, not jealousy.

You hate them due to your jealousy. 

I’m not a psychologist but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

Who would not be jealous of the fans of that team? 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

That’s the most accurate part of my post. LOL

You hate them due to your jealousy. 

I’m not a psychologist but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

Who would not be jealous of the fans of that team? 

No, I hate them for their cheating ways and for everyone willing to look away and get away with it. Then praise them as if they have never done anything wrong.

I hate their obnoxious bandwagon fanbase, whom I can guarantee you know nothing about the history of the Patriots*. Just ask them who Andre Tipett and Irving Fryar & Stanley Morgan are, and you'll get blank stares.

I hate Tom Brady, because he is the biggest whiner in the history of the NFL, and I'm a Michigan fan. I knew about Brady long before most of these "fans" did. Rob Gronkowski & Julian Edelman are all ***** and deserve all the bad karma in the world.

Every championship, and statistic associated with Belichick's tenure should have asterisk marks next to every player.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

No, I hate them for their cheating ways and for everyone willing to look away and get away with it. Then praise them as if they have never done anything wrong.

I hate their obnoxious bandwagon fanbase, whom I can guarantee you know nothing about the history of the Patriots*. Just ask them who Andre Tipett and Irving Fryar & Stanley Morgan are, and you'll get blank stares.

I hate Tom Brady, because he is the biggest whiner in the history of the NFL, and I'm a Michigan fan. I knew about Brady long before most of these "fans" did. Rob Gronkowski & Julian Edelman are all ***** and deserve all the bad karma in the world.

Every championship, and statistic associated with Belichick's tenure should have asterisk marks next to every player.

The easiest way to determine if this is jealousy or hatred.  One question and I want you to answer honestly.  

If the Bills had the same exact success with the same program and the same players and coaches would you feel the same way about them or would you be one of the proudest fans in the sport.  

I'll give you my answer.  Hell yeah!!  If you ain't cheating you ain't tryin'.  I don't care if my QB is a whiner.  Bring home with W's dude!!  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

The easiest way to determine if this is jealousy or hatred.  One question and I want you to answer honestly.  

If the Bills had the same exact success with the same program and the same players and coaches would you feel the same way about them or would you be one of the proudest fans in the sport.  

I'll give you my answer.  Hell yeah!!  If you ain't cheating you ain't tryin'.  I don't care if my QB is a whiner.  Bring home with W's dude!!  

Answer: I would feel ashamed.  Same way the Japanese felt after the war. Why they healed.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

BULLSH***!

You would be so proud of this team with more SB wins than any other team.  

Nope.  Sorry. 

Do you feel shame that we dropped the bomb on Japan?  OR should we have been more honorable....Even if it would have been harder with greater loss to our people?

Of course you don't... Because honor doesn't mean much to you.  Trust me on this one, I stayed at a Super 8 last night! 😉 😜 

Honor means a lot to the Japanese, they are ashamed of their atrocities at the height of their victories 

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

BULLSH***!

You would be so proud of this team with more SB wins than any other team.  

Roll your eyes all you want @ExiledInIllinois  I can smell a liar a million miles away.  And if you're not lying you're delusional.  

This from a book I'm reading.

SUMMARY: In his book "Ineffective Habits of Financial Advisors", former Buffalo Bills special teams coach John Steven Moore had this to say:

"The wind can blow hard off of Lake Erie. It blows easterly, swooping over the left rim of Buffalo's Ralph Wilson Stadium, down to the field and then back up over the luxury suites on the right. It can swirl and have a modest impact on the outcome of a football game. You can't control the wind, but you can use it to your advantage -- make it an opportunity."

"I was the special teams coach for the Buffalo Bills in the early 1980s. In our pregame warm-up, as we prepared to play the New England Patriots, the wind was blowing hard. I figured we could create a wind tunnel if we opened the east-side tunnel door of the stadium when New England was kicking against the wind. I worked with our equipment managers and told them, on my signal, to open the doors. Thinking back about it, I do feel a little bad for the New England punter. On his first punt against the wind, the ball came off his foot nicely, but then the wind puntied it right back at him. In a game with dozens of consequential plays, sometimes it's just one that can make a big difference. I used the wind to our advantage. We won the game and that's why I only feel a little bad."

They all cheat dude.  You're just pissed because the Patriots are better at it.  

https://yourteamcheats.com/BUF

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Nope.  Sorry. 

Do you feel shame that we dropped the bomb on Japan?  OR should we have been more honorable....Even if it would have been harder with greater loss to our people?

Of course you don't... Because honor doesn't mean much to you.  Trust me on this one, I stayed at a Super 8 last night! 😉 😜 

Honor means a lot to the Japanese, they are ashamed of their atrocities at the height of their victories 

Read my post above. You have no honor or shame that your team cheats like all the rest.  

Shame we dropped the bomb on Japan?  You do realize we were leveling their cities prior.  Just in a much slower motion.  

2 hours ago, Augie said:

So, from what I understand, MAC was one of many high ranking members of the militaries of the world not yet sold on the use of air power. Three days from now will be the annivseray of the sinking of the two British capital ships HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse, easily sank by Japanese torpedo bombers—flown out of what later was Da Nang air base in Vietnam. After that, no one in their right mind would, if they could avoid it, sail ships through areas controlled by enemy air craft 

Mac never set up his air defense network and his planes planes were destroyed on the ground. After that he was blind, under constant air attack and his supply lines were cut 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Roll your eyes all you want @ExiledInIllinois  I can smell a liar a million miles away.  And if you're not lying you're delusional.  

This from a book I'm reading.

SUMMARY: In his book "Ineffective Habits of Financial Advisors", former Buffalo Bills special teams coach John Steven Moore had this to say:

"The wind can blow hard off of Lake Erie. It blows easterly, swooping over the left rim of Buffalo's Ralph Wilson Stadium, down to the field and then back up over the luxury suites on the right. It can swirl and have a modest impact on the outcome of a football game. You can't control the wind, but you can use it to your advantage -- make it an opportunity."

"I was the special teams coach for the Buffalo Bills in the early 1980s. In our pregame warm-up, as we prepared to play the New England Patriots, the wind was blowing hard. I figured we could create a wind tunnel if we opened the east-side tunnel door of the stadium when New England was kicking against the wind. I worked with our equipment managers and told them, on my signal, to open the doors. Thinking back about it, I do feel a little bad for the New England punter. On his first punt against the wind, the ball came off his foot nicely, but then the wind puntied it right back at him. In a game with dozens of consequential plays, sometimes it's just one that can make a big difference. I used the wind to our advantage. We won the game and that's why I only feel a little bad."

They all cheat dude.  You're just pissed because the Patriots are better at it.  

https://yourteamcheats.com/BUF

Read my post above. You have no honor or shame that your team cheats like all the rest.  

Shame we dropped the bomb on Japan?  You do realize we were leveling their cities prior.  Just in a much slower motion.  

Bills were 1-15 in the early 1980s.  Serves them right!

36 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The Raiders wore that motto on their sleeves and I always respected that.

One of my pet peeves wrt the Pats is they wanted to have it both ways - everyone knows they cheated but they wanted to maintain a squeaky clean image. I remember when they tried to play off the guy nicknamed The Deflator as a weight loss guy. Just own it and move on

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Nice deflection dude.  LOL 

No deflection at all.  If the Bills did that,  they deserved to lose.  Pretty lousy thing to do... And you're proud of it? 

We need a better sense of shame:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1994/11/22/japan-apologizes-to-itself-for-pearl-harbor/545b9653-8a06-4eb6-9ca6-43d2e48e1d91/

Bills need to apologize stat!

Apologize to us Bills fans!

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I would feel the same way I felt when Michigan had to share the National Title with Nebraska in 1997.

Happy and nonplussed.

39 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No deflection at all.  If the Bills did that,  they deserved to lose.  Pretty lousy thing to do... And you're proud of it? 

We need a better sense of shame:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1994/11/22/japan-apologizes-to-itself-for-pearl-harbor/545b9653-8a06-4eb6-9ca6-43d2e48e1d91/

Bills need to apologize stat!

Apologize to us Bills fans!

Proud of it?

Me?

Who still watches every game?  Me or you?  I'll give you a hint.  I rarely have no clue who they are even playing every given week

So you hate the Patriots who cheat but you (I assume) love the Bills who also cheat.  You sound confused.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Proud of it?

Me?

Who still watches every game?  Me or you?  I'll give you a hint.  I rarely have no clue who they are even playing every given week

So you hate the Patriots who cheat but you (I assume) love the Bills who also cheat.  You sound confused.  

Trust me, I hated the Bills teams when they were cheating.  😆 I still do.

As for the topic at hand, and I know I've posted this before, but my grandfather was on the USS Pennsylvania that day, and he survived.

I was never close to him unfortunately, but I cannot imagine what he went through on that horrible day.

May he and those who were there rest in peace.

• Like (+1) 2

My dad was stationed  on Ford Island around 1949-50 (Korean War). It was a nice peaceful place then. Was a fireman on the base and they only had  one plane come in with problems during his hitch and that plane landed OK. He told me though about the bullet holes still in some of the baracks and hangars, left there  to remind them to never forget. The Arizona's superstructure was still sticking up out of the water, way before the memorial was built (1962). Oil still leaks from it to this day.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bills were 1-15 in the early 1980s.  Serves them right!

Bills were 2-14 the first two years of my marriage. My wife asked “why do you do this to yourself?” 

That was tough to answer, but she gets it now. It’s our son we worry about these days as I’ve become more tame. 

Genetics. I’m sticking with that. My dad passed it on, not my fault! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.