Gameday Bills vs Pats* Postgame Thread

Chandler#81

I’m pretty sure Daboll has like 3 running plays in his playbook. 

Another issue is Daboll doesn’t adjust to the players he has. We suck at run blocking…better run it up the middle all game for no gain. We suck at pass blocking…better call slow developing passing plays and let Allen get hit.

We don’t even have a screen play…it’s crazy. Even when we were playing well last year Daboll would make some really head scratching play calls.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

That may be their belief, but what could possibly give them that belief?  He is horrible at all aspects of the run game.  He averaged 2.6 yards per carry yesterday with a long run of 4.  Over the last 5 games, he has a 2.5 yards per carry average!  He did exactly what any reasonable person would expect him to do. He failed miserably at moving the ball.

I have no idea. McDermott talks a big game about what he wants his team to be. My guess is it's his belief. The problem is our line and TES can't block in the run game. Moss has poor vision. We can't be something we're not. 

20 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Definitely a couple td's we left on the table. Diggs's td drop, the Moss play where he could've walked in if he took it outside, and the 4th down where Beasely was open over the middle. The story of 2021 season...what could've been.

Don't forget those two drops by Knox both of which would have given the Bills a 1st down in Patriot territory. And of course there was the Breida fumble on FIRST DOWN at the Pats 29 yard line.

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, the weather was a problem for the passing game.  I'm not sure you can look at the placement Allen had on some of those places on the R side of the field and not see that. 

Likewise the deep TD pass to Diggs that he missed, it was short of where Diggs expected it.  Do you still expect a top WR in the league to haul that in, Yes, Yes you do.

But I digress - the point was, the wind was, in fact, an issue for the passing game.

The root problem is that we can't run well enough.  We need to be able to run enough that teams have to respect our run threat.

Shorter quicker passing plays. Spread the field and get the ball out quick. That worked when we did it. So yes, adjust for the weather, but keep passing the ball.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Shorter quicker passing plays. Spread the field and get the ball out quick. That worked when we did it. So yes, adjust for the weather, but keep passing the ball.

Haven't we done this exchange before? 

The problem with "shorter quicker passing plays" when teams don't respect our run game is that they've been either blowing up our OL with 4, or stunting to do it and leaving half the field open for a run while flooding the middle with 7 to take away that shorter quicker stuff.  I have "slow eyes" and need all-22 to really comb apart what a D is doing, but to my eyes, what I see is both.

Daboll and McDermott thought adding Sanders to pair with Beasley was the answer to always have everyone open, but it's not working out.  They thought our OL was "good enough" and that 1 decent TE sufficed.  They were wrong.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Haven't we done this before?  The problem with "shorter quicker passing plays" when teams don't respect our run game is that they've been either blowing up our OL with 4, or stunting to do it and leaving half the field open for a run while flooding the middle with 7 to take away that shorter quicker stuff.

Daboll and McDermott thought adding Sanders to pair with Beasley was the answer to always have everyone open, but it's not working out

We are better equipped for this sort of game than trying to run.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Well building a run game is a lot cheaper.  And imagine the Bils with a viable run threat last night AND with a QB who showed he could throw effectively in a gale.  If Allen was a Patriot last night they beat us 34 - 7 as the play action pass would have resulted in multiple walk in TD's and Allen, unlike Jones, could have made the throws.

All through the drought we suffered under the likes of JP Losman, EJ Manuel and the corpse of Drew Bledsoe. Now, whether by luck or brilliant scouting, we have the most talented QB in the league, but a coaching staff and front office that has no clue how to take advantage of it—wasting premium picks on JAG defensive linemen and worse than JAG RBs, failing to put together a competent offensive line, repeatedly rolling out brain-dead offensive game plans…it’s painful to watch this team lose to a washed up Ben Roethlisberger, Ryan Tannehill, rookie Trevor Lawrence, Carson Wentz and rookie Mac Jones when were always taught to believe “it’s all about the Quarterback!”  Are these the guys we want to trust with our franchise quarterback?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Billyhouseman said:

McDermott is a loser coach. He coaches scared in close games. I want him gone. I want a coach with balls in here. I want an offensive minded head coach. I'm willing to trade a first round pick for Frank Reich. At least Frank has balls. 

Did you already forget what happened when we played the Titans?

The Patriots defensive line jumped but no call from the refs. Crucial, crucial non call that NE would get 100% of the time but what to expect when the ref is blowing Belichick with a smile on the sideline while he's unloading on him.  I absolutely hate refs.  Some people might appreciate the difficulty of their jobs but I hope they all die in fiery plane crash to be completely honest with you.  Fk the NFL.  It's rigged.  

Edited by AbsoluteMeatHead

1 minute ago, AbsoluteMeatHead said:

The Patriots defensive line jumped but no call from the refs.  I absolutely hate refs.  Some people might appreciate the difficulty of their jobs but I hope they all die in fiery plane crash to be completely honest with you.

You majored in Misdirected Anger in college, correct?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, AbsoluteMeatHead said:

The Patriots defensive line jumped but no call from the refs. Crucial, crucial non call that NE would get 100% of the time but what to expect when the ref is blowing Belichick with a smile on the sideline while he's unloading on him.  I absolutely hate refs.  Some people might appreciate the difficulty of their jobs but I hope they all die in fiery plane crash to be completely honest with you.  Fk the NFL.  It's rigged.  

at least you're not overreacting

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.