McDermott ranked 4th best head coach in terms of gameday decision making this year (per Peter King, via EdjSports)

Logic

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If the Steelers are ever dumb enough to fire him I'd dump McDermott and take him in a heartbeat as I'd suspect most other teams around the league except NE and KC would do.

lol....you HAVE to be joking.

He stands on the sideline and clenches his jaw, and tosses that Graves Disease glare around.  That's the alpha and omega of his "coaching" schtick on gameday.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

"He can't beat his mentor, Andy Reid!". He beat Andy Reid.

"He can't beat good teams!". He beat good teams, multiple times.

"He can't win primetime games in a national showcase!". He won primetime games, multiple times.

"He can't win playoff games!". He won playoff games.

"He can't beat Bill Belichick!". He beat Bill Belichick, twice.

I guess the last two dragons left to slay are Belichick in a "meaningful" game and the Super Bowl. So far, he's done pretty well at slaying the dragons placed before him.

If we win tonight it'll be Mac was just a rookie QB so it doesn't count

3PsjR1b.gif

Edited by ProcessAccepted

4 hours ago, Logic said:

"He can't win primetime games in a national showcase!". He won primetime games, multiple times.

I guess the last two dragons left to slay are Belichick in a "meaningful" game and the Super Bowl. So far, he's done pretty well at slaying the dragons placed before him.

Username checks out

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol....you HAVE to be joking.

He stands on the sideline and clenches his jaw, and tosses that Graves Disease glare around.  That's the alpha and omega of his "coaching" schtick on gameday.

Sorry but I'll take a HC that's been to multiple SB's and won a few of them over McDermott clapping vigorously after stupid personal fouls and other undisciplined nonsense no doubt will rear it's ugly head again tonight.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

I do question jumping Offside on 2nd and 2, but i get it.

Did they admit he jumped offside intentionally? I thought he did and also thought it was very smart.

Tomlin not declining it was what I questioned.

38 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

for a decade plus, Tomlin benefitted from a franchise qb, some very good OL and WRs, and excellent D...now he does not or not as good so he is exposed,  add some overdue improvements in CLE and CIN and he is now a mortal

Again compare resumes to McDermott and get back to me.

The only reason we beat the Steelers in the last two years is because they had a four string QB playing the first time and last year were in the midst of a collapse.

This year the Steelers won on opening day and it wasn't a fluke because they had the better HC on the sideline.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

The only reason we beat the Steelers in the last two years is because they had a four string QB playing the first time and last year were in the midst of a collapse.

This year the Steelers won on opening day and it wasn't a fluke because they had the better HC on the sideline.

I've always been a a Tomlin fan but he's been gawdawful the last couple years.

Thank you for confirming that your schtick is nothing more than a schtick.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I've always been a a Tomlin fan but he's been gawdawful the last couple years.

Thank you for confirming that your schtick is nothing more than a schtick.

Steelers started 11-0 last year and you don't do that by fluke.

Like I said before, if folks think there wouldn't be at least 10-15 teams lining up to hire Tomlin if he was available your crazy.

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

No, you do that by playing the worst teams in the NFL every week and then getting curbstomped when you finally have to play anybody worth a damn.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Last two? That’s not how it works around here. Some people are never satisfied.

He could win back-to-back Super Bowls and people would start complaining about how he can’t three-peat.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If we played Pittsburgh today we would win by a touchdown at least

Yea we only won last year because of a fluke but when they beat us on a flukey game we are massively out coached lol  

Both teams looked like dog crap that day and we still have the better team one through 52 

You can't win throwing the ball 6 yards down the field in January.. which is all they can do.. Ben couldn't throw 20 yards down the field in September at the Ralph but you think if we meet up again he'll be able to throw

Edited by Buffalo716

6 hours ago, Logic said:

I was reading Peter King's FMIA column this morning (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/06/ravens-steelers-nfl-week-13-fmia-peter-king/) and came across this:

"The top and bottom-rated coaches in the league through 12 weeks in the EdjSports Head Coach Rankings say something about the meaning of coaches in the game. The rankings measure every coaching decision through a series of metrics including fourth-down calls and play-calling choices (judged pre-snap, not after the result). Here are the rankings and explanation of the parameters.

Top five
1. Brandon Staley
2. Matt LaFleur
3. Kliff Kingsbury
4. Sean McDermott
5. Frank Reich

Bottom five
28. Pete Carroll
29. Dan Campbell
30. Joe Judge
31. Robert Saleh
32. Mike Tomlin

Team records through 12 weeks of the top five coaches: 37-20. Bottom five: 15-38-2."

I thought that was pretty interesting, and encouraging, particularly because McDermott sometimes catches a lot of flak around these parts for his gameday decision making. Personally, I feel that it's gotten better and better in each year as a head coach. Every now and then, he reverts back to conservative tendencies, but by and large, he's aggressive, smart, and clearly relies on his analytics team on gamedays.

For those curious how these rankings are put together, Below is the link to the actual EdjSports Head Coach Rankings. Given that the combined record of their top five coaches is impressive, while the combined record of their bottom five coaches is abysmal, I'd argue that perhaps they have a decent set of rankings.

https://edjsports.com/posts/bcb73078-aafc-45a9-8b30-4054b34ce0a7

Most of the top 5 coaches have great QB’s and most of the bottom 5 have terrible QB’s. Not surprising. 

Good “decisions” don’t come in a vacuum.

45 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Like I said before, if folks think there wouldn't be at least 10-15 teams lining up to hire Tomlin if he was available your crazy.

Then they went 1 and 4 and gave up 48 points in a WC loss.  Great point about late season coaching. lol

Two years before that, they went 9-6 despite the #4 Offense and #6 D.  No playoffs.

The year before that, with the #3 O and #5 D, they went 13-3----and went 1 and done, losing to the Blake Bortles Jags!!  Coaching!!

Tomlin's Steelers won a SB a million years ago.  They were in the AFCC game once in the last 10 years--and got smoke by NE.

McD took a Tyrod Taylor led team to the playoffs after a 17 year drought.  Then he (and Beane) preceded to completely blow up the roster, and had the new team right back in the playoffs within 2 years and in the AFCC a year later.

If you are changing your argument now to: "the NFL is and always has been loaded with morons from the owner on down to the GM and HC, so one of them would hire a fired Tomlin"...then, yes, I'll will certainly agree with a true statement.  I guarantee it would be Tomlin's last job and he wouldn't finish his contract.

Even stacked with talent, Tomlin coached teams fizzled in the playoffs.  3 wins in the last 10 seasons, going 1 and done 4 times.  

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I was reading Peter King's FMIA column this morning (https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/06/ravens-steelers-nfl-week-13-fmia-peter-king/) and came across this:

"The top and bottom-rated coaches in the league through 12 weeks in the EdjSports Head Coach Rankings say something about the meaning of coaches in the game. The rankings measure every coaching decision through a series of metrics including fourth-down calls and play-calling choices (judged pre-snap, not after the result). Here are the rankings and explanation of the parameters.

Top five
1. Brandon Staley
2. Matt LaFleur
3. Kliff Kingsbury
4. Sean McDermott
5. Frank Reich

Bottom five
28. Pete Carroll
29. Dan Campbell
30. Joe Judge
31. Robert Saleh
32. Mike Tomlin

Team records through 12 weeks of the top five coaches: 37-20. Bottom five: 15-38-2."

I thought that was pretty interesting, and encouraging, particularly because McDermott sometimes catches a lot of flak around these parts for his gameday decision making. Personally, I feel that it's gotten better and better in each year as a head coach. Every now and then, he reverts back to conservative tendencies, but by and large, he's aggressive, smart, and clearly relies on his analytics team on gamedays.

For those curious how these rankings are put together, Below is the link to the actual EdjSports Head Coach Rankings. Given that the combined record of their top five coaches is impressive, while the combined record of their bottom five coaches is abysmal, I'd argue that perhaps they have a decent set of rankings.

https://edjsports.com/posts/bcb73078-aafc-45a9-8b30-4054b34ce0a7

Reich is usually very good.  I am surprised he’s not higher.  

McDermott has much maligned by the Bills fan base, and I feel a lot of it is to avoid criticizing the players.  Glad to see him get some credit

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.