Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

Biden says US troops in Ukraine are off the table but promises withering sanctions if Russia invades

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/08/politics/biden-putin-us-troops/index.html

We all know it’s off the table, but why would you feel it’s important to tell the world that? 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

We all know it’s off the table, but why would you feel it’s important to tell the world that? 

It's what isn't mentioned.  CIA.  Weapons.  Air power.  Missiles.  Battlefield intel (from satellites and the air)

IMO, Russians don't care about sanctions from the West because Europe is desperate for Russian energy, Russia is in OPEC, and the country makes its money off its energy and weapons sales.  

38 minutes ago, dpberr said:

It's what isn't mentioned.  CIA.  Weapons.  Air power.  Missiles.  Battlefield intel (from satellites and the air)

IMO, Russians don't care about sanctions from the West because Europe is desperate for Russian energy, Russia is in OPEC, and the country makes its money off its energy and weapons sales.  

All true. But individual wealthy and powerful Russians care a whole lot if sanctions hit them in the pocketbook or disrupt their jet-setting way of life. One constant: they amass wealth and power (mostly through graft and shady dealings) in Russia, but they really can't stand to have to LIVE in Russia, at least not most of the time. So there's a little self-interest here that moderates the behavior of their king Putin, and we have to depend on that to keep him from flying off the deep end.

46 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Disagree completely.

The oil card has been played.

Oil is plentiful and massive amounts can be easily brought online.

The Russians haven't nearly the power that is ascribed to them.

They simply don't understand that until they are hit over the head with their lack of perceived strength.

It has happened many time before.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Where’s Trump when we desperately need him? Stop the madness! 

I’m still waiting for @Tiberius and his plan for this thread he started.  So far I guess it’s:

1. Biden is not Trump;

2. The US should lead;

3. Biden is not Trump;

Seems to me there would be more, given he started the thread. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’m still waiting for @Tiberius and his plan for this thread he started.  So far I guess it’s:

1. Biden is not Trump;

2. The US should lead;

3. Biden is not Trump;

My plan? 

11 minutes ago, Irv said:

There are people who either make things happen, let things happen or say "what happened?"  I think we know who we elected.

Biden confused.jpg

Biden confused.jfif 28.84 kB · 0 downloads

download-3.jpg.964c1f2d302a5946f0a9e33d6c0d77e7.jpg

At least this guy isn't in charge anymore

9 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

1. Biden is not Trump;

2. The US should lead;

3. Biden is not Trump;

Where is Biden leading?  He threatens Russia with sanctions.  Serious sanctions.  Anyone think this threat is keeping the Kremlin leadership up at night?  So what will Russia do?  They will respond by harming our "allies" in Europe.  So what's the incentive over time for western European countries to line up in support of the program when they're consistently being negatively impacted and being told to subjugate their national interests in order to support US policy objectives?  

Putin's end game here isn't to invade Ukraine.  The country is a liability and not a prized asset.  His immediate concern is keeping NATO forces off his border.  Biden has stated he won't commit US forces to the defense of Ukraine.  He's already tipped his hand.

Putin's ultimate game is to drive a wedge between the US and Western European countries by creating a divergences of interests between the parties.  And over time creating the environment where Europeans see their interests more closely aligned with Russia than the U.S.  Which will result in driving the U.S. out of Europe and uniting Western Europe and Russia into an economic alliance.  And in the process marginalizing U.S. interests and power.  That's the objective.  Its the same game he's playing in the Middle East with the Saudi's and Iranians.  Isolate and marginalize U.S. interests around the globe without firing a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

My plan? 

download-3.jpg.964c1f2d302a5946f0a9e33d6c0d77e7.jpg

At least this guy isn't in charge anymore

That’s awesome.  And rather ironic. 

Someone told you that Trump was in Putin’s pocket, and like a multi-level marketing participant you bought it wholesale, and immediately sold to your downline marketing team to build your pipeline. 

So, Trump leaves office. 

The problem is now, you’re gobbling up memes of Trump harassing Putin, harassing him, grabbing him and preventing him from moving forward and you think it means the opposite. 

Meanwhile, regardless of Trump and his approach, Biden is in office, you think he’s awesome but Putin is treating him like the **** Biden has repeatedly bragged about being.   If Biden had at least the tenacity to treat Putin like the Coppertone kid, Putin wouldn’t be dragging his nuts across Biden’s carpet.

Then again, Biden may be setting it all up for military engagement because that’s the traditional establishment approach.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1