Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Easy.

I'm not going to expand a response to other options. 

Just going to stick with what you posted and I asked about.

Deploying a "couple of fighter squadrons" would require an airfield to operate out of, which we don't have there, some kind of command and control capability, which would involve AWACS, tankers for air-air refueling, a huge ground force for support and maintenance.

Just a crazy, impossible suggestion that the pilots would be wacky to undertake.

Good! Glad you narrowed your response to a specific, though crazy and wacky, criticism. Ukraine does have it's own airfields and our air force has a rapid response teams to set up air bases in places that have none. 

23 hours ago, sherpa said:

Disagree completely.

The oil card has been played.

Oil is plentiful and massive amounts can be easily brought online.

The Russians haven't nearly the power that is ascribed to them.

They simply don't understand that until they are hit over the head with their lack of perceived strength.

It has happened many time before.

Just a note about your oil comment - Gazprom is the dominant supplier of natural gas into Europe.  They also have the largest refinery in OPEC that has the availability capacity to refine gasoline for the European market in Omsk, deep in Siberia.  That Omsk refinery is perhaps the world's most important refinery - it has so many carbon crackers that they refine every derivative fuel you can get from the crude oil.  The Russians have excess refining capacity where many of the world's countries do not.  

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Good! Glad you narrowed your response to a specific, though crazy and wacky, criticism. Ukraine does have it's own airfields and our air force has a rapid response teams to set up air bases in places that have none. 

The entire suggestion is preposterous, and nobody, certainly not any Air Force officer is going to set themself up as a "tripwire."

Air combat involves much more than throwing a few squadrons in a foreign land.

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That's not the issue. It's them snuffing out democracies and republics, just like Hitler was doing. China is totally in on this, see Hong Kong. 

I think this is why the diplomatic boycott of the Beijing games is so important. 

By refusing to send some wrinkled old entitled elitists to China while sending a massive contingent of professional/semi-professional  athletes to visit/work/ and contribute to the economy, we send a powerful message that the Biden Buck stops in Beijing.  

9 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The entire suggestion is preposterous, and nobody, certainly not any Air Force officer is going to set themself up as a "tripwire."

Air combat involves much more than throwing a few squadrons in a foreign land.

Air Force officers would follow orders, it’s not their friggin call. What are you talking about? 

9 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think this is why the diplomatic boycott of the Beijing games is so important. 

By refusing to send some wrinkled old entitled elitists to China while sending a massive contingent of professional/semi-professional  athletes to visit/work/ and contribute to the economy, we send a powerful message that the Biden Buck stops in Beijing.  

I can’t disagree with this. This mixing of free societies with these crazy authoritarian regimes is not working. I know it’s not easy as all the business we do with them, through them etc, but their system

is just sick 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Air Force officers would follow orders, it’s not their friggin call. What are you talking about? 

Oh I’m getting the popcorn out for this one!   

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I can’t disagree with this. This mixing of free societies with these crazy authoritarian regimes is not working. I know it’s not easy as all the business we do with them, through them etc, but their system

is just sick 

Holy crap we agree.  

I feel for some of the Olympians that bust their asses and have to worry about this sort of thing, but this sacred cow BS is silly.  We’ve got politicians supporting the removal and destruction  of confederate statues, the recalibration of the English language and then load a bunch of out citizens on a cargo plane to a country with a deplorable record on human rights historically, and presently speaking.  

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are not well informed.

Nobody, from SecDef down would ever issue a directive to put two squadrons in the Ukraine.

The suggestion that you made that some rapid response team would set up an air base in this situation is the stuff of grammar schoolers reading comic books.

It simply doesn't work that way in the real world.

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Nobody, from SecDef down would ever issue a directive to put two squadrons in the Ukraine.

The suggestion that you made that some rapid response team would set up an air base in this situation is the stuff of grammar schoolers reading comic books.

Ha ha, sorry I triggered you so badly. But you are, of course, wrong. You can have the last word, though, no need to respond to such an emotional "thinker" like you 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ha ha, sorry I triggered you so badly. But you are, of course, wrong. You can have the last word, though, no need to respond to such an emotional "thinker" like you 

You don't "trigger" me.

You simply have no idea what you are talking about, and the suggestion is ridiculous on so many levels it simply has to be responded to.

I'm still waiting for an explanation of how some "rapid response team" is going to build an airbase that can handle F-22's, F-15's, tankers and AWACS.

32 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Oh I’m getting the popcorn out for this one!   

Holy crap we agree.  

I feel for some of the Olympians that bust their asses and have to worry about this sort of thing, but this sacred cow BS is silly.  We’ve got politicians supporting the removal and destruction  of confederate statues, the recalibration of the English language and then load a bunch of out citizens on a cargo plane to a country with a deplorable record on human rights historically, and presently speaking.  

To a point, lol I totally support removing pro-slavery statues

32 minutes ago, ALF said:

G7 warns of ‘massive consequences’ if Russia invades Ukraine

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/12/12/g7-warns-of-consequences-if-russia-invades-ukraine

So now we've gone from consequences to serious consequences to massive consequences.  What's next?  Double secret probation!   

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, sherpa said:

It's not that he's not informed, his only task is to spew idiocy, division and hated, not be a critical thinker.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, Tiberius said:

LOL, you want the weakest to lead? Sounds like a pro-commie Putin argument 

It is our battle, democratic nation's have a shared interest in preserving freedom. Those against democracy understand you can kill popular government one country at a time. 

With United States leadership. 

On China, too https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/17/us-and-canadian-warships-sailed-through-taiwan-strait-last-week-.html

Personally, I have had enough wars to last 3 lifetimes. You head on over, report back, let us all know how it went. Ukraine and the Europeans' really need to handle the issue with Russia, I am sure Ukraine would let you link up and join the fight. We have plenty of things to stay focused on in our own hemisphere. The United States needs a nice long stint of no wars for a change.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Personally, I have had enough wars to last 3 lifetimes. You head on over, report back, let us all know how it went. Ukraine and the Europeans' really need to handle the issue with Russia, I am sure Ukraine would let you link up and join the fight. We have plenty of things to stay focused on in our own hemisphere. The United States needs a nice long stint of no wars for a change.

There’s no money to be made during peace times.

10 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Endless wars is the one thing both political parties always agree on. 

• Like (+1) 1