Championship Week 2021

Mark Vader

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

7 chances inside the 2 yard line in the last 5 minutes of game and Oklahoma State can’t score a TD.  It’s not just a Bills problem.  

Oklahoma State offense did look eerily similar to ours on a bad day. I couldn’t stop thinking about the similarities the entire time I watched. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Bama upsets Georgia.

That would give me sufficient reason to give up paying attention to college football this year. I have no interest in seeing a repeat of this in the national championship game. Will NCAAF continue its retreat into an all southern phenomenon?

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That would give me sufficient reason to give up paying attention to college football this year. I have no interest in seeing a repeat of this in the national championship game. Will NCAAF continue its retreat into an all southern phenomenon?

They seem to be the best teams. Cincinnati is a pleasant surprise this year, but I think Georgia or Bama beats the brakes off either of those teams. My team is from the ACC, so I don't have a dog in the fight. Just going by the eye test

My thoughts, assuming Michigan hangs on, are below.  While I think Georgia should fall to 4, I'm thinking Bama moves to #1 and the selection committee wants to set it up so that Bama/Georgia meet in the championship, not the semifinals.

1. Alabama

2. Michigan

3. Georgia

4. Cincinnati

Alabama vs Cincinnati

Michigan vs Georgia 

After starting the season unranked, the Wolverines are now one of the top teams in the country.

There was no hangover, no letdown from last week, tonight they went out and got it done tonight and they have earned the right to be in the College Football Playoff

GO BLUE!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Talley56 said:

My thoughts, assuming Michigan hangs on, are below.  While I think Georgia should fall to 4, I'm thinking Bama moves to #1 and the selection committee wants to set it up so that Bama/Georgia meet in the championship, not the semifinals.

1. Alabama

2. Michigan

3. Georgia

4. Cincinnati

Alabama vs Cincinnati

Michigan vs Georgia 

Who plays the Detroit Lions, and when? 🤔😁

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/4/2021 at 3:03 PM, SirAndrew said:

Oklahoma State offense did look eerily similar to ours on a bad day. I couldn’t stop thinking about the similarities the entire time I watched. 

I was at the game, it was a terrible offensive performance... but we were w/o our 1,100 bruising RB. He got hurt and suited, but never played. 

The defense, I'd argue... we have the BEST defense in the country. ONLY defense in college football to not allow more than 3 offensive TDs in a game this year. Then you add in, the 1st team defense didn't allow a 2nd half TD in the past 2 months (6 games straight). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I was at the game, it was a terrible offensive performance... but we were w/o our 1,100 bruising RB. He got hurt and suited, but never played. 

The defense, I'd argue... we have the BEST defense in the country. ONLY defense in college football to not allow more than 3 offensive TDs in a game this year. Then you add in, the 1st team defense didn't allow a 2nd half TD in the past 2 months (6 games straight). 

Good post, I think the defense doesn’t get the credit they deserve because of bias against the stereotypical Big 12 style of play. The running back being out was a huge loss. Jackson just doesn’t appear to have what it takes to be the main back in that offense. 

• Agree 1

On 12/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

No. It will stop when other teams are worthy. 

Players (who are mostly poor kids) should not have to play 17 game schedules in college in order to appease fans of not so great teams. In every game they are risking losing out on millions of dollars. How many playoff teams should there be? 8? 16? 32?  

Imo, all football fans possess a certain degree of the gladiator mentality. We watch our favorite teams play a vicious sport and hope for hard his, sacks, etc. I am not above this nor do I pretend to be. 

That said, should college players take even more risk to satisfy the wishes of fans that root for a team that cannot win enough games?

Players will start sitting out playoff games if they have 16 or 17 gme schedules and would you blame them? They are already sitting out the bowls. 

And btw, I am an Alabama fan. 99% of sportswriters, sportscasters, and fans expected the Tide to lose to UGA. A larger playoff pool would have appeared to work for Bama this season. Still, the only way I could support expanded playoffs would be if they eliminated games from the schedule, and also did away with conference championship games. This btw will never happen.

Of course, the above is jmo.

2 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I am sorry that your team lost, and know how much it sucks to get that close and lose.  I don't however agree that your defense is the best in the NCAA.

Top Ten? Perhaps.

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Players (who are mostly poor kids) should not have to play 17 game schedules in college in order to appease fans of not so great teams. In every game they are risking losing out on millions of dollars. How many playoff teams should there be? 8? 16? 32?  

Valid points (in relation to my comment about the southern domination of NCAAF). But isn't this on the conferences themselves and not on the NCAA as a whole? The power conferences expanded. They demanded lucrative conference championship games, but heaven forbid that ONLY the conference champion advances to the NCAA playoff. No, we need a do-over. (Maybe if they also met in the regular season the rubber match would satisfy some fans?)

I think the season is too long. I don't need to see more playoff teams. I need to see the conferences do what they're supposed to do - declare a champion and weed out the also-rans. I'll admit it, I'm old (enough) and I kind of like the certainty of the old Bowl structure. You win your conference, you play another game. The expansion of the conferences and their internal dynamics is what warps the recruitment derby. If I know Alabama is winning the SEC from now till kingdom come and I'm a big-time recruit from the Midwest, maybe I'm not going to Georgia. Maybe I'm staying closer to home, and maybe I'm evening out the warped playing field a bit. Letting NCAAF devolve into a regional attraction doesn't strike me as a good idea overall. It's like having the Olympics with multiple U.S. and Russian teams (Gold Medal Game: U.S. Southeast vs. U.S. Pacific!) This is college athletics. Championships should bring the best teams from different regions together.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.