Jump to content

Here we go again.... Bills beat a decimated shell of a team in NO and now comes the test


Billsfan1972
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have 100% confidence in the Bills talent and skill positions, but again that nagging feeling whether NO was at all an indicator of where the Bills are.  

 

I said the same after the Dolphins & Jets games.

 

They should beat the Pats and by 10 imo, but I would take very little from the NO game that they still need to clean up things and particularly on defense be aggressive vs. NE.

 

So some things I want to see.

 

  1. Pressure on Jones
  2. Don't play a loose secondary
  3. Don't allow underneath as Jones will take easy completions and yac
  4. Allen takes what is given 
  5. Careful not to force the ball as NE seems to deflect a lot and are opportunistic
  6. Get outside the pocket 

 

Most of all be aggressive like they were game #2 last year vs. NE.  Don't give Belichek too much respect, which they did the first game in 2020 and almost lost it.  Take a look at the two box scores from last year.  Seems pretty obvious what the Bills need to do.

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401220115

 

vs.

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401220130

 

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

I have 100% confidence in the Bills talent and skill positions, but again that nagging feeling whether NO was at all an indicator of where the Bills are.  

 

I said the same after the Dolphins & Jets games.

 

They should beat the Pats and by 10 imo, but I would take very little from the NO game that they still need to clean up things and particularly on defense be aggressive vs. NE.

 

So some things I want to see.

 

  1. Pressure on Jones
  2. Don't play a loose secondary
  3. Don't allow underneath as Jones will take easy completions and yac
  4. Allen takes what is given 
  5. Careful not to force the ball as NE seems to deflect a lot and are opportunistic
  6. Get outside the pocket 

 

Most of all be aggressive like they were game #2 last year vs. NE.  Don't give Belichek too much respect, which they did the first game in 2020 and almost lost it.

 

 

The titans were also basically a shell of their team as well. Every team is banged up and guys all over are less than 100%, but they're missing WR1, WR2, RB1 as well as starters at LB and G.

Out - Julio Jones, Nate Davis, AJ Brown, Rashaan Evans, Jeremy McNichols, David Long, Derrick Henry is on IR too.  

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With how all over the map we've been this year it's hard to get a read on any game. First and foremost we need to come out extremely motivated. Our OL does not have the luxury of playing poorly. Stack the box to stop Harris and put some front 7 pressure on Jones to help our corners ( w/o Tre). Do these 4 things and we win.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have 100% confidence in the Bills talent and skill positions, but again that nagging feeling whether NO was at all an indicator of where the Bills are.  

 

I said the same after the Dolphins & Jets games.

 

They should beat the Pats and by 10 imo, but I would take very little from the NO game that they still need to clean up things and particularly on defense be aggressive vs. NE.

 

So some things I want to see.

 

  1. Pressure on Jones
  2. Don't play a loose secondary
  3. Don't allow underneath as Jones will take easy completions and yac
  4. Allen takes what is given 
  5. Careful not to force the ball as NE seems to deflect a lot and are opportunistic
  6. Get outside the pocket 

 

Most of all be aggressive like they were game #2 last year vs. NE.  Don't give Belichek too much respect, which they did the first game in 2020 and almost lost it.

 

You make some very valid and reasonable points. The things that you hope to see are justified. However in all reality there is only 1 thing I need to see. 

 

1. Bills outscore Patriots.

 

Just win. Last night Lamar tossed 4 INTs. Baltimore still won. Last week the Ravens were down Lamar and Hollywood. Baltimore still won. They have had approx 317 running backs tear an ACL this year. Still winning. It always looks ugly. But they find ways. That's all that matters. 

 

Buffalo can play ugly, mistake filled football. Turn the ball over several times. As long as they win. No extra points for pretty in this league.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

 

The titans were also basically a shell of their team as well. Every team is banged up and guys all over are less than 100%, but they're missing WR1, WR2, RB1 as well as starters at LB and G.

Out - Julio Jones, Nate Davis, AJ Brown, Rashaan Evans, Jeremy McNichols, David Long, Derrick Henry is on IR too.  

The difference is that NE doesn't come out thinking they need to just show up and win.  My concern is that the Bills coming off the Jets game and at home vs. Indy were caught flat-footed (and let's not forget Jax).

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

You make some very valid and reasonable points. The things that you hope to see are justified. However in all reality there is only 1 thing I need to see. 

 

1. Bills outscore Patriots.

 

Just win. Last night Lamar tossed 4 INTs. Baltimore still won. Last week the Ravens were down Lamar and Hollywood. Baltimore still won. They have had approx 317 running backs tear an ACL this year. Still winning. It always looks ugly. But they find ways. That's all that matters. 

 

Buffalo can play ugly, mistake filled football. Turn the ball over several times. As long as they win. No extra points for pretty in this league.

Yes but the Bills seem incapable of doing that (Pitt, Tenn & Jax).

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Number 4 is the key in my opinion......If the Bills dont turn it over I think they will win.  But that is easier said than done.   If Allen gets stymied/frustrated, he needs to take a punt or a FG attempt and not force things/hold the ball too long.  The Pats strategy will be to cause bad decisions by Josh.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The difference is that NE doesn't come out thinking they need to just show up and win.  My concern is that the Bills coming off the Jets game and at home vs. Indy were caught flat-footed (and let's not forget Jax).

Yes but the Bills seem incapable of doing that (Pitt, Tenn & Jax).

Yes. When the Bills don't outscore their opponent they typically lose. Very astute observation.

  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

You make some very valid and reasonable points. The things that you hope to see are justified. However in all reality there is only 1 thing I need to see. 

 

1. Bills outscore Patriots.

 

Just win. Last night Lamar tossed 4 INTs. Baltimore still won. Last week the Ravens were down Lamar and Hollywood. Baltimore still won. They have had approx 317 running backs tear an ACL this year. Still winning. It always looks ugly. But they find ways. That's all that matters. 

 

Buffalo can play ugly, mistake filled football. Turn the ball over several times. As long as they win. No extra points for pretty in this league.

 

That game last night was stunning.

 

Sometimes I feel that Allen and the Bills offense have had it so ingrained in them "don't turn the ball over.  we can't win if you turn the ball over" that once the turnovers mount up, they psychologically give up.

 

Ravens: 4 interceptions, No Problem.

 

I hope the Bills took note, not that it's OK to throw 4 interceptions, but that a Terrible Horrible Very Bad Turnover Day can be overcome.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have 100% confidence in the Bills talent and skill positions, but again that nagging feeling whether NO was at all an indicator of where the Bills are.  

 

I said the same after the Dolphins & Jets games.

 

They should beat the Pats and by 10 imo, but I would take very little from the NO game that they still need to clean up things and particularly on defense be aggressive vs. NE.

 

So some things I want to see.

 

  1. Pressure on Jones
  2. Don't play a loose secondary
  3. Don't allow underneath as Jones will take easy completions and yac
  4. Allen takes what is given 
  5. Careful not to force the ball as NE seems to deflect a lot and are opportunistic
  6. Get outside the pocket 

 

Most of all be aggressive like they were game #2 last year vs. NE.  Don't give Belichek too much respect, which they did the first game in 2020 and almost lost it.

 

I would add a seven for Bills fans.

 

7. Must stop the run.

 

if Stevenson and Harris are averagjngb5 yards a carry it will be a long day for the Bills.

 

8. RUN THE DAMN BALL! 
 

last year your O was  so good because you had the ability do everything, this year, so far the Bills are a one trick pony. Thus why so many here feel it’s off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, dneveu said:

 

The titans were also basically a shell of their team as well. Every team is banged up and guys all over are less than 100%, but they're missing WR1, WR2, RB1 as well as starters at LB and G.

Out - Julio Jones, Nate Davis, AJ Brown, Rashaan Evans, Jeremy McNichols, David Long, Derrick Henry is on IR too.  

Pats season has been very similar to ours this year but for some reason we give them the benefit of the doubt and not our own team. Blowout wins against mediocre teams with injury problems / bad teams all season. 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's a Beasley game for me. Does anyone know how healthy he is? He is a mismatch for us on their linebackers or Dugger (who I love but he is more a big nickel than a traditional, quick change of direction, nickel corner). 

Dugger is a safety, I forget which one but his official position is that. Beasley will probably have Mills (Ugh) or the kid they promoted from practice squad when Jonathan Jones got hurt. 
 

hmm funny Pats have 3 Undrafted CB who are damn good but we drafted 2 CB in the second round who can’t get on the field.. lol makes no sense.. ( sorry thinking out loud lol)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

That game last night was stunning.

 

Sometimes I feel that Allen and the Bills offense have had it so ingrained in them "don't turn the ball over.  we can't win if you turn the ball over" that once the turnovers mount up, they psychologically give up.

 

Ravens: 4 interceptions, No Problem.

 

I hope the Bills took note, not that it's OK to throw 4 interceptions, but that a Terrible Horrible Very Bad Turnover Day can be overcome.

Like with many things, the thought process over time on turnovers has been simplified and dumbed down to the simplest form. It's either black or white. However there are many times that a turnover is meaningless.

 

If we're sitting at 3rd and 20 near mid field and Josh hucks one downfield into triple coverage is that a bad INT? No, not in my opinion. It's the same as a punt (maybe better since it wouldn't be a touchback) and you get the chance at a big play be it a catch or PI. My old coach called that a "smart" turnover. Same with an INT on an end of the half hail mary. Meaningless. 

 

I believe the better stat is "points off turnovers". Yeah, Motor can fumble...but if the defense does it's job it's a footnote. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's a Beasley game for me. Does anyone know how healthy he is? He is a mismatch for us on their linebackers or Dugger (who I love but he is more a big nickel than a traditional, quick change of direction, nickel corner). 

 

No, we don't know.

 

If Beasley actually broke ribs when he got speared in the Miami game, broken ribs are usually a 4-6 week injury to heal.

This upcoming Monday would be 5 weeks from the original injury, and that would be assuming that he didn't re-injure them the following week vs. Jax.

 

The Jax game was the only game where he had a game-time "questionable" status.

This past week he had a "full" practice designation one day; the previous weeks he's been either DNP or limited.

 

So in theory, he's getting closer to healed but ??

 

 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I would add a seven for Bills fans.

 

7. Must stop the run.

 

if Stevenson and Harris are averagjngb5 yards a carry it will be a long day for the Bills.

 

8. RUN THE DAMN BALL! 
 

last year your O was  so good because you had the ability do everything, this year, so far the Bills are a one trick pony. Thus why so many here feel it’s off.

It’s off because we’re missing two starting offensive linemen and Dawkins has been mostly terrible possibly related to his bout with Covid in the offseason…vs Indy we were missing those two guys and our starting DT and our starting MLB and despite that the narrative seems to be the bills not playing their best is being caused by some mysterious reason 😂 it’s lookin pretty likely the pats get the bills offense at 100% for the first time all season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I would add a seven for Bills fans.

 

7. Must stop the run.

 

if Stevenson and Harris are averagjngb5 yards a carry it will be a long day for the Bills.

 

8. RUN THE DAMN BALL! 
 

last year your O was  so good because you had the ability do everything, this year, so far the Bills are a one trick pony. Thus why so many here feel it’s off.

 

7.  Ummm... Your team just gave up 270 yards rushing at 6.9 yards per clip, and managed to still win

8. Your team is averaging slightly less yds rushing per game than the Bills

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I would add a seven for Bills fans.

 

7. Must stop the run.

 

if Stevenson and Harris are averagjngb5 yards a carry it will be a long day for the Bills.

 

8. RUN THE DAMN BALL! 
 

last year your O was  so good because you had the ability do everything, this year, so far the Bills are a one trick pony. Thus why so many here feel it’s off.

Have to add Bolden to that mix as well. We have seen before where we stop the Pats running game only to see them bring in Burkhead, White or whomever their pass catching RB is and nickel and dime us to death that way as an extension of the running game. 

 

And while Harris is a good back, Stevenson is the one I'm most worried about. Kid's like a mini King Henry when he gets going. Very tough to tackle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...