Here we go again.... Bills beat a decimated shell of a team in NO and now comes the test

Billsfan1972

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

8. RUN THE DAMN BALL! 

last year your O was  so good because you had the ability do everything, this year, so far the Bills are a one trick pony. Thus why so many here feel it’s off.

First off, in the spirit of Christmas Story need to call you out on etiquette - saying you must add a 7th and then you also insert an 8th take - aka Triple Dog Dare faux pas.

The Bills running game is averaging .5 YPC more than the Pats and has almost as many yards YTD on 50 less attempts.  Josh is part of the run game and expect to see some of this on MON PM as Titans did use Tannehill for 25 yds on 5 carries.

The Pats Run D gave up 240 yds to the 2 Titans RBs yester day.  on 31 carries!  

Just now, freddyjj said:

First off, in the spirit of Christmas Story need to call you out on etiquette - saying you must add a 7th and then you also insert an 8th take - aka Triple Dog Dare faux pas.

The Bills running game is averaging .5 YPC more than the Pats and has almost as many yards YTD on 50 less attempts.  Josh is part of the run game and expect to see some of this on MON PM as Titans did use Tannehill for 25 yds on 5 carries.

The Pats Run D gave up 240 yds to the 2 Titans RBs yester day.  on 31 carries!  

sigh another “averaging .5 yards more a carry” while forgetting you run 1/3 as much as the other team. Also forgetting that Allen has almost as many yards as your #1 RB.  I mean you are smarter than everyone else (every talking head) who states the Bills are a one trick pony and rely way to much on Allen to bail them out. Does that mean you can’t run? No just that either Allen or your OC refuses to stick with it even when it was working.  Don’t believe me look at the stats.. remove Allen scrambles and your team averages less than 10 carries a game. 

13 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Have to add Bolden to that mix as well. We have seen before where we stop the Pats running game only to see them bring in Burkhead, White or whomever their pass catching RB is and nickel and dime us to death that way as an extension of the running game. 

And while Harris is a good back, Stevenson is the one I'm most worried about. Kid's like a mini King Henry when he gets going. Very tough to tackle. 

Stevenson is also a bigger threat to catch the ball as well. My biggest fear with both of them is picking up the blitz. They both earlier in the year almost got Jones killed by missing the blitzer.  (I think every team worried about that with their backs or at least one back lol)

oh if only we had White for this game.. he make Jones even better.. (like Your White on IR for the year :( 

42 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I would add a seven for Bills fans.

7. Must stop the run.

if Stevenson and Harris are averagjngb5 yards a carry it will be a long day for the Bills.

8. RUN THE DAMN BALL! 

last year your O was  so good because you had the ability do everything, this year, so far the Bills are a one trick pony. Thus why so many here feel it’s off.

Actually, @PatsFanNH, it's not true in my view "last year ...we had the ability to do everything". 

Last year our run game was objectively worse than this year.  Last year, we were 18th-20th in attempts, yds, y/a.

This year, 5th for Y/A, 12th for Y, 17th for attempts.

But that may be deceptive.  Last year, we had games where we hardly tried to run at all, interspersed with games where we ran all over people and boosted our average.  And then we had games where we needed to run and tried to run and couldn't.  We were "one trick ponies" a lot of the time.

Last year, Josh Allen took offensive coordinators by surprise.  We started the year with "play man and blitz, make him stay in the pocket and be a QB" being the strategy.  When Allen started dicing that up, it turned to "play zone and disguise coverage to confuse him".   When we adapted to that and became one of the "Teams to Beat", that changed again.

Now DCs have a very good book on what Allen and the Bills will try to do in the passing game, and how to take it away, but Daboll still came into the season with the idea that he could be one-dimensional and pass-centric in his game plan.  Pittsburgh laid out a blueprint of how to defeat that in Week 1 but Daboll still didn't "Get the Memo".  If a team doesn't have to worry about defending the run, they can simply overload one side of the OL while only bringing 4 defenders, they can stunt and twist, and that's next to impossible for the OL to block and certainly not with an empty backfield.

Add in that our OTs have both regressed in their play and we keep trying to play a guard who simply doesn't seem to be NFL caliber.  Put the three together, and it's a recipe for offensive frustration. 

The #1 thing is for Josh Allen to be patient and make good decisions with the ball.

#2 Avoid pre-snap penalties.  If we're in a 3rd and 15 or 3rd and 20 hole, then we pretty much haven't been explosive enough to gain that on the ground and teams can key off on the pass.

#3 thing to me is for McDermott and Frazier to not coach scared.  When I hear them in game-week pressers saying stuff like "we have to try to come up with a game plan to limit their big plays" I say to myself "Damn, it's going to be a hard Sunday".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

sigh another “averaging .5 yards more a carry” while forgetting you run 1/3 as much as the other team. Also forgetting that Allen has almost as many yards as your #1 RB.  I mean you are smarter than everyone else (every talking head) who states the Bills are a one trick pony and rely way to much on Allen to bail them out. Does that mean you can’t run? No just that either Allen or your OC refuses to stick with it even when it was working.  Don’t believe me look at the stats.. remove Allen scrambles and your team averages less than 10 carries a game

LOl.  Ok, Fact Check here.  If one takes away Josh the Bills have 194 rushes from 3 HBs for 834 yds or 4.3 YPC.  Equates to 17.6 rushes per game from RBs.  

Granted that is 1/3 of NE's 285 RB attempts (23.75 attempts per game).  The YPC for the PATs backs is 4.25 YPC.  

24 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And just for you I made my specific list of what I want to see.  And yep your first post is so typical......  Never change.... 

i think it's nice that you tried so hard for me.  i'm making you a better poster.  you're welcome.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

hmm funny Pats have 3 Undrafted CB who are damn good but we drafted 2 CB in the second round who can’t get on the field.. lol makes no sense.. ( sorry thinking out loud lol)

Who are the two 2nd rounders CBs?

I assume  you are referring to the two DE's, wich is not correct, at least one of them (Epenesa) is a regular and solid-non spectacular  player

Edited by poblano

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

sigh another “averaging .5 yards more a carry” while forgetting you run 1/3 as much as the other team. Also forgetting that Allen has almost as many yards as your #1 RB.  I mean you are smarter than everyone else (every talking head) who states the Bills are a one trick pony and rely way to much on Allen to bail them out. Does that mean you can’t run? No just that either Allen or your OC refuses to stick with it even when it was working.  Don’t believe me look at the stats.. remove Allen scrambles and your team averages less than 10 carries a game. 

With all respect, comparing us to "every talking head who states the Bills are a one trick pony" isn't a very credible argument here.

Even now, the national media doesn't pay a lot of attention to the details of Bills football, while we all do.

Here are our last 4 games:

Rush attempts: 14  Pass attempts: 47

Rush attempts: 28  Pass attempts: 28

Rush attempts: 13  Pass attempts: 40

Rush attempts: 32  Pass attempts: 28

I think it's simplistic to say "the Bills are a one trick pony".  We can run - when Daboll puts his mind to it in the game plan.  We could last season.  We have this season.  The problem is more that Daboll looks at certain teams and decides that the way to attack them is by passing, so it's clear when we take the field that our plan is to play from the shotgun and Let "er Rip.  And we'd become very predictable with running from under center 75% of the time, while passing from shotgun 75% of the time (probably more if situational down-and-distance tendencies were taken into account).

IF McDermott has succeeded in "coaching his coach" that a credible run threat is a must-have Every.  Game. Whether You Think You Can Beat Them Passing Or Not., we might get someplace.  But I'm currently unpersuaded.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Pats season has been very similar to ours this year but for some reason we give them the benefit of the doubt and not our own team. Blowout wins against mediocre teams with injury problems / bad teams all season. 

I think a difference is that 1) they havent had a really ugly loss. Theyre losses are mostly close to good teams (besides week 1). 2) They are rolling without any hiccups. If they had won 4 of 5 with a head scratcher in the mix Id feel different. But they come out ready to play week after week. Mac Jones isnt really stellar but is playing well and the defense is just flat out good.

• Like (+1) 1

During the drought, I started viewing the Pats games like they were a dentist appointment. Something to kind of dread, that you couldn't avoid, and where the outcome was likely negative.

That's still sort of lingering. I know it's logical & rational to think, well, we're the best team now!  We turned it around, got a legit franchise QB and a solid coach, and have all kinds of talent compared to those days.

But I still have some dentist anticipation in me.  It's still there.  I think it will take a few seasons of sweeps to purge.

4 minutes ago, poblano said:

I assume  you are referring to the two DE's, wich is not correct, at least one of them (Epenesa) is a regular and solid-non spectacular  player

Dude, stop shouting in an empty garage.

31 minutes ago, mattynh said:

You play the teams and players on the schedule at the time.  No excuses either way.  This week is the litmus test, we will see.

One quote I hear in the media sometimes is very true.....its not so much who you play as it is when you play them.

Such a great point.  

That Titans team the Pats played yesterday likely gets destroyed by us as well.  Instead, we get them at full health and lose a game in the final seconds.  

On the flipside, @New Orleans should have been a tricky game, until we ended up facing their mash unit on Offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.