Any distance runners here?

Another Fan

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think running at all Is the worst thing you can do.

I have realized that as I have gotten older, that I need to save my legs and knees for stuff that is fun. So I only run when I am playing fun sports— basketball, tennis, etc. i will walk

and hike and walk on the golf course— but why waste your knees on something like distance running, which is not fun and also doesn’t burn you nearly as many Calories as something like hoops? 

Not completely true. Running actually builds bone density in the legs. Yes you do need to be careful and not over train and yes you do need to get proper rest and wear proper running shoes. If you aren’t smart with it and stay in tune with your body, then you will hurt yourself. 

otherwise, I picked up running during covid cause I had gained weight when the gyms closed. so now I run ~5 miles a day and I lost nearly 30 lbs. I was 185 during the start of summer of ‘20, and now I’m 157. (Im 5’11)

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Sounds like a lot of non-runners in this group.  

I've run a ton of distance races.  Probably about 10 full marathons and one 52 mile charity event.  I also tried to complete the Badwater 50 mile race in BaldHead Island about a month ago.  Missed the 31 mile cutoff time.  I will try it again in March.  

Out of all the long distance races, my most impressive achievement was completing the Providence half marathon after being at a wedding the night before.  Was up drinking and celebrating til about 4am.  Got up at 6am and went down to the start line.  They were setting up the Michelob Ultra beer tent for after the race.  I asked for a beer and the vendor said, "These are for runners only!"  I think he thought I was some homeless guy.  I completed it on little sleep and half intoxicated.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/23/2021 at 3:45 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Ran a mile in 5 min 11 sec in indoor track in HS.  I gave it up after that, as I felt as though that was the pinnacle of my running career.

isn’t that like the average speed for a person to run?

cross country was 2.5 or 3 miles in 12 - 15 minutes. 

outdoors, in the rain and uphill both ways!!!

After that you fire up a fatty 

7 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Not completely true. Running actually builds bone density in the legs. Yes you do need to be careful and not over train and yes you do need to get proper rest and wear proper running shoes. If you aren’t smart with it and stay in tune with your body, then you will hurt yourself. 

otherwise, I picked up running during covid cause I had gained weight when the gyms closed. so now I run ~5 miles a day and I lost nearly 30 lbs. I was 185 during the start of summer of ‘20, and now I’m 157. (Im 5’11)

that’s great, man. Congrats on getting in shape! I pretty much did the opposite— was in great shape when Covid hit, and then went from 155

pounds to 180 due to laziness and the inability to play Rec sports. I am (slowly) on my way back down— right now at 170. Lot easier to put on weight than take it off! 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Sounds like a lot of non-runners in this group.  

Well excuse us then 🙄

Just messing with you.  How long would it take to typically train for a marathon?  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The fastest recorded time a male ran a 5k or 3.1 mile race was 12:35

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5000_metres_world_record_progression

Did you also walk 15 miles to catch a bus every morning? 😆

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yeah, probably.  But I was the kinda runner who smoked Marlboro reds and drank Crazy Horse 40s.  I ran indoor track purely because all of the hot girls and the long bus trips.  I do remember, however, that I came in 6th place out of like 20 runners.  Are you trying to rain on my parade, chief?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, probably.  But I was the kinda runner who smoked Marlboro reds and drank Crazy Horse 40s.  I ran indoor track purely because all of the hot girls and the long bus trips.  I do remember, however, that I came in 6th place out of like 20 runners.  Are you trying to rain on my parade, chief?

Not at all. 

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

The fastest recorded time a male ran a 5k or 3.1 mile race was 12:35

As I said, the courses varied over time and location.  

Cobbs hill had both 2.5 and 3 mile courses.
I don’t remember how long the Sectionals were. 

I was a sprinter too. Did the 1/4 miles under 55. I ran the 1/2 and 1 mile relays. 

Lost 70 lbs starting in early 2019 (285 to 215) and made it a goal to run the Disney marathon in Jan 2020; didn’t have a great finishing time but did complete it and it was an awesome experience—I’m gearing up to run Disney again in Jan…kudos OP for setting a goal and getting after it!! 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2

On 11/24/2021 at 12:39 PM, LeGOATski said:

This is where I'm at. I used to run a lot, but biking is so much more fun.

I have a ton of friends living in the metro DC area who are pretty hard core triathlon and/or marathon people.

They are all close to 50 now, and they ALL have huge health problems all the time.

My one buddy even does "double marathons" (52 mile race?) and is injured constantly.

Usually with a broken foot bone or something like that.

They all have bad backs now, etc.

Go for a walk instead.

The guy that popularized jogging.  Jim Fixx, died in his 50s from a heart attack:

"...Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed—his father died of a heart attack at 43 after a previous one at 35, and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart—and had an unhealthy life: Fixx was a heavy smoker before beginning running at age 36, had a stressful occupation, had undergone a second divorce, and gained weight up to 214 pounds (97 kg).  Medical opinion continues to uphold the link between moderate exercise and longevity. ..."

The important stuff bolded.  DON'T take up jogging! 😏

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I have a ton of friends living in the metro DC area who are pretty hard core triathlon and/or marathon people.

They are all close to 50 now, and they ALL have huge health problems all the time.

My one buddy even does "double marathons" (52 mile race?) and is injured constantly.

Usually with a broken foot bone or something like that.

They all have bad backs now, etc.

Go for a walk instead.

Yeah, I don't want to end up like that. Might as well bike and swim instead. I'm still young.

I've done 1 marathon and 3 half marathons. I probably wouldn't even do a half now. 10K at the most.

Had to run 5Ks decades ago in the army in Germany; took me around 30 minutes. Since then, I prefer hiking.

My daughter recently started long-distance running; she did her first two marathons this year. When she visited from college on Thanksgiving, we went together to a popular recreation spot here in Lubbock, Lake Six. She ran twice around the lake (close to 6 miles) and I did bird watching - saw a beautiful ferruginous hawk (the third-largest raptor in the US, after golden and bald eagles). Nice way to spend an afternoon with your kid...

Edited by DrW

On 11/28/2021 at 7:08 PM, DrW said:

Had to run 5Ks decades ago in the army in Germany; took me around 30 minutes. Since then, I prefer hiking.

My daughter recently started long-distance running; she did her first two marathons this year. When she visited from college on Thanksgiving, we went together to a popular recreation spot here in Lubbock, Lake Six. She ran twice around the lake (close to 6 miles) and I did bird watching - saw a beautiful ferruginous hawk (the third-largest raptor in the US, after golden and bald eagles). Nice way to spend an afternoon with your kid...

75352151-1200px.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.