The Ringer: How Did the Buffalo Bills Go From the Top of the AFC to the Fringe of the Playoff Picture?

YoloinOhio

Was just about to post this too.

But a great read that hits on a lot of the discussion points here including Josh Allen's regression and how he's been a big part of the problem this year.

Obviously McDermott is probably not going anywhere after this season but I think at minimum firing Daboll has to be on the table, if not both coordinators because their philosophies simply don't jive with what it takes to win in this league which is being physical in the trenches.

• Like (+1) 1

One dimensional = easy to stop with the correct game plan.  That’s why our season ended last season.  It’ll likely be the reason our season ends this season.  The FO thought that the run game could be retooled and successful by keeping last years OL that couldn’t run block and both RBs…. While adding a part time RB a tackle prospect that hadn’t played in a year and another tackle prospect that has no business being on an nfl roster at the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

To me, 99% of Allen's regression is factors he can't control.

Bad protection & run game. Similar issues to last year when he did well - but clearly, defenses have adjusted to who the Bills are.  When a D doesn't respect the run game, it gets much harder for a QB.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

But a great read that hits on a lot of the discussion points here including Josh Allen's regression and how he's been a big part of the problem this year.

Obviously McDermott is probably not going anywhere after this season but I think at minimum firing Daboll has to be on the table, if not both coordinators because their philosophies simply don't jive with what it takes to win in this league which is being physical in the trenches.

Disagree regarding Frazier.  It’s not his fault that we only have 1 DT capable of playing the 1T effectively.  Last season, we had none.  0.0% chance he’s fired imo.  He’s a very solid DC.  Daboll needs to show that he can adapt.  Frazier has done that several times over his career.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I agree on Daboll (as well as the oline coach). Need someone that has a run game plan, short game plan and is not hung up on all downfield stuff. As to Frazier, I think McDermott could be more involved in the D, but overall I think the Defense has been doing pretty well when everyone is playing. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Certainly validates what most posters are saying.  Defenses don’t even have to think about defending the run against Bills.  And our defense isn’t built to stop the run.  

Nope. Run the ball and stop the run requires players we currently don't have on the roster. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The turnover and field position are things I have been trying to point. I was slammed for saying the O has not looked right - how can you say that when we are scoring 40+. This team has been winning because the D has made it easy on the offense. 

But, but, but look at the stats!  Our offense was obviously just as good as last year, if not better!!! 🙄 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He says:

It’s difficult to pin any of Buffalo’s four losses on any one issue. The first loss of the recent slide came against a Titans team still powered by a healthy Derrick Henry, who rushed for 143 yards and three touchdowns on just 20 carries. The second, the aforementioned stinker in Jacksonville, could be pinned entirely on the offense, which generated just two field goals against a Jags defense that ranked dead last in DVOA going into that game. Against Indianapolis on Sunday, the Bills tied those two performances together.

I don't agree with this.

I feel all of the 4 losses come down to one core issue: Lack of a credible run threat on offense.  It allows teams to run overload schemes and stunts on DL while still flooding the field, on 3rd and long and even shorter plays.  It allows teams to tee off on us and pin their ears back in the passing game.   This issue extends back to the playoff games last winter.

In addition, the scheme McDermott and Frazier run seems vulnerable to teams with a strong OL, top RB, and sufficient pass game. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

McDermott ain’t going anywhere, but pretty clear Daboll is coaching for his job the next 7 weeks.  Amazing how fast the NFL figures you out.  

Not looking to give Daboll excuses, but are the recent deaths of his Grandparents any distraction. I doubt it but giving him some room for that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Success said:

To me, 99% of Allen's regression is factors he can't control.

Bad protection & run game. Similar issues to last year when he did well - but clearly, defenses have adjusted to who the Bills are.  When a D doesn't respect the run game, it gets much harder for a QB.

This. Allen was the leading candidate for MVP before this game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The transition from a Bills team on the ascend (the past couple seasons) to a team circling the drain is humbling.  It's tough to take how quickly things can go South.

It really is.  I guess the true measure of genius when it comes to leading a team (coach/gm) is the ability to keep evolving because the league will catch up to your current cleverness before you can blink

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.