Calling all RB and OL Gurus, Your Input Please

Hapless Bills Fan

A couple of us were having an argument in the Shoutbox about this play.  One person who shall remain nameless contends that Singletary had a hole to cut into, seen at 4s just after handoff, and that Singletary sucks because he doesn't make a nice cut as the Colts RB does, into said hole.

I contend that what they see as a hole is because Dawkins defender is already in the backfield charging towards Singletary, and all that trying to cut into that open space would accomplish is let that cat get his mitts on him faster.

In contrast, the Colts back has a hole the size of the State of Indiana to cut into.

Also I agree with this:

Your input please

@Buffalo716, anyone else?

• Haha (+1) 1

He couldn't cut back.  There was a defender right behind him that would have hit him immediately.  Also, that hole was a mirage as our line was being pushed around, not creating it.

The Colts play didn't have someone trailing him and the line controlled the blocking. 

Not the same thing.  Dawkins got blown up and the play was outside zone.  I think the real issue is, why is our offensive lineman running to make blocks at the next level in the middle of the field when the play is to the outside.  Seems like miscommunication or poor execution

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Turner says specifically to watch the back side guards because they tag teams the defender, pass him off and keep him blocked vs our guard taking off and leaving the defender for dawkins who didn't have a chance.  Zone blocking should have men in their zone blocked up, not running free.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

@Hapless Bills Fan I would say that the hole is a mirage... The Bills obviously didn't know how to block the alignment

LG go straight to the second level because the dlineman is slightly outside of him at 3tech... He should have combod him until Dawkins got control and then went to the second level

Thanks!

First thought, wow NFL dlinemen really get off the ball.

Center is covered. So odd man front. D is strong in the center, weak at the edges. Blocking scheme is zone. Line steps one way and gets an area. The double teams other people are mentioning and in the Colts clip is power run. I'll note the RT and Sanders, the WR. You want to get to the edge on that play. RT doesn't get his reach block, and Sanders is getting pushed back.

That's one thing people should look at. WRs and their blocking. Teach them to hold in run and after the catch like they taught the DBs to hold.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh is under center and he turns his back to the defense. We are in the gun, have spread formations, and dont utilize play action. So when the defensive line sees this it allows them to swarm. Was the Jacksonville crowd so loud that Dawkins couldnt use it to his advantage? Was the LG suppose to chip him and peel off? The DT accros from him was inside gap and didnt penetrate the gap first he ran straight towards the ball carrier. Not playing it honest tells me he had a pretty good guess where the ball was going or it was a good defensive call.

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Stop me if you have heard this one before, Dawkins allows his man to get across his face and make the play. Colts LT held his block and forced his man outside. Come one Dion, we need you brother. 

I think the whole point Turner was making is that the backside guard passes off the defender.  The Colts LT makes that block because the guard held his man up until he got there.  If Dawkins is expecting the guard to pass him off (the way the colts guard did) then it's pretty reasonable as to why he couldn't make that block.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, beavis said:

WR blocking

My son kept texting begging NOT to throw screens behind Sanders. I calmly explained that it was outside of my control.  🤷‍♀️.

But yes, he’s like a matador on screen plays out there. Put Davis, or the peanut vendor, out there and it has to improve! Put them in positions to do what they do best. Blocking is NOT Sander’s thing. 

Having said all that, our blocking problems are 95% on the OLine. We will never be a serious contender until we have a solid and well coached OLine. I hope we can get there this year, but it has to be a MAJOR focus for NEXT year. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.