Athletic Article: Daboll orchestrated Tom Brady phone calls to Alabama QB room in 2017

AmishRifle

“When he was the Patriots quarterback, Brady used to call the Alabama quarterback room in 2017 to offer advice. Brian Daboll was Alabama’s offensive coordinator at the time, and he was installing the Patriots’ system after working with Brady in New England for two stints and 11 total seasons.

Daboll orchestrated calls with Brady to provide tips with the offense. Though Brady spent more time on the phone with starter Jalen Hurts, Daboll wanted Jones and Tua Tagovailoa in on the conversations as well. Daboll also set up Alabama’s tight ends with Rob Gronkowski for similar reasons.”

https://theathletic.com/2859873/2021/09/30/back-at-alabama-mac-jones-and-tom-brady-had-some-under-the-radar-phone-calls/

Article was written as a setup for this weekend’s game between TB and Pats.  Says a lot about Daboll’s connections and mastery of the EP offense.

Edited by AmishRifle
Added link
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, I wouldn’t be jumping at that bears job with Fields as the QB. 

I'd take Chicago with Fields over the Denver job and having to find a QB (or bringing Mitch with). I wasnt very high on Fields as far as the draft, but I dont think he'll be a career-killer. He desperately needs an OLine tho.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd take Chicago with Fields over the Denver job and having to find a QB (or bringing Mitch with). I wasnt very high on Fields as far as the draft, but I dont think he'll be a career-killer. He desperately needs an OLine tho.

That is fair. I was never high on Fields, but I agree it’s a bit unfair to assess him now. He definitely is much more raw than a lot of recent top 10 picks. 

it will be interesting to see where the openings are this off-season. I think definitely in Chicago. Vic Fagio in Denver may be safe the way he has that team Playing. Maybe Minnesota will fire Zimmer. And Texans could can Culley after a year.  Other than that, I don’t think there will be any other openings. 

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd take the Denver job and go get Aaron Rodgers!

Although right now Fangio might be saved by Teddy Two Gloves.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

I'd take the Denver job and go get Aaron Rodgers!

Although right now Fangio might be saved by Teddy Two Gloves.

Good point. If that deal can get done, then it is a no-brainer.

BUT... who knows if it happens. And if it does, you also need to start planning for the future with another QB draft pick, and hopefully Rodgers is ok with that.

Also, I think I'd rather go to the Bears in the NFC North if the Pack lose Rodgers. Than Denver (even with Rodgers) and having to deal with Mahomes and Herbert (and even the Raiders playing well).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

BUT... who knows if it happens. And if it does, you also need to start planning for the future with another QB draft pick, and hopefully Rodgers is ok with that.

Also, I think I'd rather go to the Bears in the NFC North if the Pack lose Rodgers. Than Denver (even with Rodgers) and having to deal with Mahomes and Herbert (and even the Raiders playing well).

It's kind of early for all of this stuff, but two impending variables are that Rodgers negotiated so if he wants he can get out next year, a somewhat less quiet strategy than Brady (I credit him for keeping quiet for Kraft, but had enough in NE, say what you want, but that was classy of TB).  Now, Rodger is so fickle maybe he starts getting a lot more input on weapons talent and decides to stay, or not.  I honestly don't care, but it is a factor.  The other is Watson's stuff starts to get worked on in February so another team will probably have a good idea what they are getting, any suspensions, etc.  These two QB's will mitigate a lot with teams, and choices.

I'd rather wait until February-April to see how things shake out and there will most likely be a lot more than two coaching vacancies by black Monday.  For now, it's enjoy the Bills ride we hope and pray to victory.

It would be super advantageous for Daboll to bring Trubisky with him to a QB-less team, if he was to take a HC job.

Trubisky knows his system and probably has a renewed confidence. This gives Daboll time to build his program and find his own franchise QB.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That’s a great point, you really can’t be a coach who builds for his own future with Rodgers in the room. If you were able to get Rodgers in Denver, you’d be coaching for a Lombardi, knowing you have no future. I don’t think Rodgers is remotely willing to see that side of coin.