Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

Aw man, what a terrible time for a penalty. 2:58 left, down by a goal. 

Bummer. Well, win or lose at least they made it an exciting game. 

edit - are you kidding. Another penalty against Buffalo. I think that pretty much seals it. 

Edited by BillsFan4

On 4/2/2022 at 3:58 PM, That's No Moon said:

I've watched them play a couple times this month. I'm not going to argue that it isn't better. It is. It needs to continue. You don't wipe away a decade of garbage with 3 weeks of tolerable hockey.

Levi is going back to school so he is 2023 at the soonest, more likely 2024.

Man you're a sour puss. Did Ted Nolan hit on your mom?

5 hours ago, Beerball said:

Man you're a sour puss. Did Ted Nolan hit on your mom?

I think it would be more insulting if he DIDN'T hit on your mom.

FWIW, they got outworked, outshot, and outchanced by a team who played 4 times in 6 days. They also gave up 5 goals again.  Was it nice that they scored on two power plays to make it closer in the 3rd? Sure. Does it change that they got worked for the vast majority of that game? Nope.

It's easy to blame the goaltending but the defense in general continues to give up far far too many grade A chances.

Let's see how they respond.  In previous years they'd respond to the end of a long run of good by going on a corresponding or longer run of losing.  They were 6-1-3 in their last 10 coming into today.  In the next 10 they have 6 in a row against good teams and then 4 against mediocre to bad teams. Let's see what they do. 

In my eye .500 would be a benchmark.  Can they be .500 over that stretch against the schedule they have.  Being .500 just means beating Philly twice, the Islanders, the Devils and then just one of the Leafs, Panthers, Lightning, Blues, or Hurricanes x2.  That's not a crazy bar to cross if they've turned a corner.  Of course, it's also not that long since they lost 6 straight to Ottawa, Colorado, Montreal, St. Louis, Columbus, and Dallas which isn't exactly murderer's row.  More important than .500 over the whole 10 game stretch tbh would be not losing 7 in a row including today because each of the next 6 games is against someone much better than them, several are on the road and in places they have not done well historically.  Go 3-3 over THOSE games.

I'm to the point with them where TELLING me they are better doesn't do anything for me.  I'm in show me status.  You want me to believe you aren't the same old crap team then you need to show me you aren't and that takes more than what they've just done, for a much longer time. They were 7-1-3 over 11 games before today.  Outstanding.  They were 3-8 in the 11 before that.  Not outstanding.

I get it, you desperately want them to be better.  That's fine. You do that.  They are somewhat better.  I will once again acknowledge that.  It is difficult to be worse than what they were. However, to declare them, "On the right track" with the gaping holes they still have on the roster and the lack of near term fixes for the largest of those holes makes it difficult to buy in.  Luukkonen is going to be the goalie next year, they intentionally structured it that way, and if he doesn't pan out there isn't anyone else until at least 2023.  They've already said they want Anderson back. OK fine, he can back up.  Even if Portillo and Levi BOTH sign (which isn't likely IMO) neither one of them is going to play in Buffalo next year short of prime Hasek like performance in Rochester.  They haven't rushed any of their prospects recently (which is a GOOD thing) why would you expect them to start doing it now with Portillo and/or Levi?  The defense is atrocious apart from the goaltending and is more than a rookie Owen Power away from being acceptable.

Edited by That's No Moon

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I think it would be more insulting if he DIDN'T hit on your mom.

FWIW, they got outworked, outshot, and outchanced by a team who played 4 times in 6 days. They also gave up 5 goals again.  Was it nice that they scored on two power plays to make it closer in the 3rd? Sure. Does it change that they got worked for the vast majority of that game? Nope.

It's easy to blame the goaltending but the defense in general continues to give up far far too many grade A chances.

Let's see how they respond.  In previous years they'd respond to the end of a long run of good by going on a corresponding or longer run of losing.  They were 6-1-3 in their last 10 coming into today.  In the next 10 they have 6 in a row against good teams and then 4 against mediocre to bad teams. Let's see what they do. 

In my eye .500 would be a benchmark.  Can they be .500 over that stretch against the schedule they have.  Being .500 just means beating Philly twice, the Islanders, the Devils and then just one of the Leafs, Panthers, Lightning, Blues, or Hurricanes x2.  That's not a crazy bar to cross if they've turned a corner.  Of course, it's also not that long since they lost 6 straight to Ottawa, Colorado, Montreal, St. Louis, Columbus, and Dallas which isn't exactly murderer's row.  More important than .500 over the whole 10 game stretch tbh would be not losing 7 in a row including today because each of the next 6 games is against someone much better than them, several are on the road and in places they have not done well historically.  Go 3-3 over THOSE games.

I'm to the point with them where TELLING me they are better doesn't do anything for me.  I'm in show me status.  You want me to believe you aren't the same old crap team then you need to show me you aren't and that takes more than what they've just done, for a much longer time. They were 7-1-3 over 11 games before today.  Outstanding.  They were 3-8 in the 11 before that.  Not outstanding.

I get it, you desperately want them to be better.  That's fine. You do that.  They are somewhat better.  I will once again acknowledge that.  It is difficult to be worse than what they were. However, to declare them, "On the right track" with the gaping holes they still have on the roster and the lack of near term fixes for the largest of those holes makes it difficult to buy in.  Luukkonen is going to be the goalie next year, they intentionally structured it that way, and if he doesn't pan out there isn't anyone else until at least 2023.  They've already said they want Anderson back. OK fine, he can back up.  Even if Portillo and Levi BOTH sign (which isn't likely IMO) neither one of them is going to play in Buffalo next year short of prime Hasek like performance in Rochester.  They haven't rushed any of their prospects recently (which is a GOOD thing) why would you expect them to start doing it now with Portillo and/or Levi?  The defense is atrocious apart from the goaltending and is more than a rookie Owen Power away from being acceptable.

Were your expectations going in to 21/22 that the team would be a finished product by 22/23.?  Because your whining seems to indicate just that.  

If you can’t see the development taking place right in front of you this year I don’t know what to say.  Is Tage better?  Cozens?  Dahlin?  Are Tuch and Krebs viable?  Has team camaraderie improved?  Is their body language improved?  Are the games more fun to watch?  All of the above indicate that they are indeed on the right track but sure…… losing a game to Florida proves your point I guess.

If you were to say “there is a lot of track left and they have to stay on the right one”……sure.  But to deny that they look different or to imply that things have moved forward is silly.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Were your expectations going in to 21/22 that the team would be a finished product by 22/23.?  Because your whining seems to indicate just that.  

If you can’t see the development taking place right in front of you this year I don’t know what to say.  Is Tage better?  Cozens?  Dahlin?  Are Tuch and Krebs viable?  Has team camaraderie improved?  Is their body language improved?  Are the games more fun to watch?  All of the above indicate that they are indeed on the right track but sure…… losing a game to Florida proves your point I guess.

If you were to say “there is a lot of track left and they have to stay on the right one”……sure.  But to deny that they look different or to imply that things have moved forward is silly.  

FFS how many actual times do I have to say that they are better. I think I've said it every single post.

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

FFS how many actual times do I have to say that they are better. I think I've said it every single post.

You’re excoriating people for using the phrase “on the right track”.  What is the point of that?

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You’re excoriating people for using the phrase “on the right track”.  What is the point of that?

Who have I excoriated? I don't think that word means what you think it means. 

Let's try it this way and see if it helps you all. Was Bylsma's team that finished with 81 points, ended the season something like 8-3-2, had a ridiculously good power play, Eichel, Reinhart O'Reilly, Ristolainen, two young goalies who looked promising, and had improved nearly 30 points from the year before "on the right track"? At the time I bet you'd have argued yes. Turns out no.

Does this current team look better than it has in several years? Yes it does. Is it too soon to declare them "on the right track". Yes it is.

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Who have I excoriated? I don't think that word means what you think it means. 

Let's try it this way and see if it helps you all. Was Bylsma's team that finished with 81 points, ended the season something like 8-3-2, had a ridiculously good power play, Eichel, Reinhart O'Reilly, Ristolainen, two young goalies who looked promising, and had improved nearly 30 points from the year before "on the right track"? At the time I bet you'd have argued yes. Turns out no.

Does this current team look better than it has in several years? Yes it does. Is it too soon to declare them "on the right track". Yes it is.

The team is on the right track.  That phrase doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Is there a guarantee that this or any team will stay on the right track?  No.  

Behind a paywall but this is what I have:

BUFFALONEWS.COM
Record-setting goalie prospect Devon Levi informs Sabres he's returning to school
Devon Levi, a record-setting sophomore goaltender at Northeastern University, informed the Buffalo Sabres on Monday that he is returning to school for his junior season, sources told The Buffalo News.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T&C said:

BUFFALONEWS.COM
Record-setting goalie prospect Devon Levi informs Sabres he's returning to school
Devon Levi, a record-setting sophomore goaltender at Northeastern University, informed the Buffalo Sabres on Monday that he is returning to school for his junior season, sources told The Buffalo News.

Does that mean they have lost him?

11 hours ago, T&C said:

BUFFALONEWS.COM

Well that sucks.

If I were Adams, I’d be trying my best to find out if actually he’s willing to sign here at all. If not, I think they obviously need to trade him sooner rather than later.

I still want to see the Sabres try to sign him next offseason if he’s interested in signing here though. They’d still have all of next season to trade him.

I hate this stupid college free agent rule. IMO if they choose not to sign with the team that holds their rights, they should have to re-enter the draft. They shouldn’t get to turn UFA. They haven’t earned that right IMO. NHL players have to put in 7 seasons before they get UFA rights.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well that sucks.

If I were Adams, I’d be trying my best to find out if actually he’s willing to sign here at all. If not, I think they obviously need to trade him sooner rather than later.

I still want to see the Sabres try to sign him next offseason if he’s interested in signing here though. They’d still have all of next season to trade him.

I hate this stupid college free agent rule. IMO if they choose not to sign with the team that holds their rights, they should have to re-enter the draft. They shouldn’t get to turn UFA. They haven’t earned that right IMO. NHL players have to put in 7 seasons before they get UFA rights.

I don’t even think they should get that choice. Want to play in the league? Sign with the team that drafted you or get them to trade you. Otherwise, have fun playing overseas. 

• Like (+1) 2

Now they need to make sure they get Portillo signed.

Its actually more important they get him signed this offseason than Levi anyway. Portillo can choose to turn UFA after next season (if he leaves college). 

It would actually be for the best if they can get Portillo signed this year and Levi next year. Signing both this offseason would have made it difficult to get both playing time in Rochester. One maybe would’ve had to go to the ECHL.

It could still be complicated next year too. But that would be a good problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

Well that sucks.

1,000% agree that this whole setup is stupid. Still, I can't fault someone for furthering their education, its not really his fault, its the system in place.

• Like (+1) 1

It could still be complicated next year too. But that would be a good problem to have.

It's complicated if Luukkonen plays well in Buffalo and Portillo also plays well in Rochester. As you said, a good problem.

It's also slightly complicated if they both stink next year.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's complicated if Luukkonen plays well in Buffalo and Portillo also plays well in Rochester. As you said, a good problem.

It's also slightly complicated if they both stink next year.

I mean, if Luukkonen plays well enough in Buffalo to hold down a starting role, and Portillo plays so well in Rochester that he earns a chance to compete for the backup role in Buffalo, that would at least open a spot for Levi in Rochester. It might make things more complicated in the future though.

But I don’t really see Portillo being ready for Buffalo after 1 season in Rochester.

Nor do I see Levi being ready to go right from college to the NHL (in a backup role).

So I think most likely you just Let Portillo and Levi battle for the starting role in Rochester and whoever loses can be the back up or go to Cincinnati (ECHL) to start.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I mean, if Luukkonen plays well enough in Buffalo to hold down a starting role, and Portillo plays so well in Rochester that he earns a chance to compete for the backup role in Buffalo, that would at least open a spot for Levi in Rochester. It might make things more complicated in the future though.

But I don’t really see Portillo being ready for Buffalo after 1 season in Rochester.

Nor do I see Levi being ready to go right from college to the NHL (in a backup role).

So I think most likely you just Let Portillo and Levi battle for the starting role in Rochester and whoever loses can be the back up or go to Cincinnati (ECHL) to start.

Agree with all of this

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don't see UPL being the answer.  I expect Portillo to play sooner rather than later in Buffalo.

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't see UPL being the answer.  I expect Portillo to play sooner rather than later in Buffalo.

Neither UPL or Portillo is the answer in the short term. Adams’s number one priority and focus is to acquire a good veteran NHL goalie this offseason. UPL as back up, Portillo developing in Rochester. Levi going back to school May actually be of benefit in terms of staggering the development of these young goalie prospects. But it’s all moot if Adams can’t find a solid vet starter. 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-devon-levi-wants-to-feel-that-pressure-at-northeastern/

When goalie Devon Levi told Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams he would be returning to Northeastern, the prospect explained how another season in college could offer him what he craves.

“He’s such a mature kid the way he looks at it,” Adams said this morning inside KeyBank Center. “And one of the things he said that I found interesting is that, ‘I wanted to feel that pressure every day of people looking at me like I’m a top guy,’ which is a pretty interesting way to look at it.”

But Adams said the Sabres “were totally on board with it” with Levi going back to Northeastern.

“We think it’s good for him,” he said. “If he came and he was ready mentally and what he thought was right for him, that would’ve been great, too.”

Adams also mentioned Ryan Johnson and Portillo:

Meanwhile, Adams said he plans to talk to two of the team’s other college prospects – Michigan goalie Erik Portillo and Minnesota defenseman Ryan Johnson – this weekend at the Frozen Four in Boston.

Adams said the Sabres are fine with the youngsters – Portillo is a sophomore and Johnson and is a junior – turning pro or returning to school.

“There’s no downside if they stay, in my opinion,” he said.

Not sure I agree with Adams on this. There is big potential downside - Both could turn UFA after next season and Buffalo could lose them for nothing.

Johnson was a 1st round pick and would be going into his senior season.

But I guess Kevyn Adams doesn’t really gain anything by telling the press he’s not ok with either guy going back to school. It could hurt any trade leverage with other teams.

He also may not have the same “Buffalo fan syndrome” fears of players spurning Buffalo that some of us fans do.

It’ll be interesting to see what both players decide. It seems to me like Buffalo wants both to turn pro this year. Adams can try to sell it any way he wants, but there’s no way he wants Portillo going back to school for another year, then having both him and Levi sign next offseason. He’s already said that’s not ideal.

• Like (+1) 1

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-devon-levi-wants-to-feel-that-pressure-at-northeastern/

Adams also mentioned Ryan Johnson and Portillo:

Not sure I agree with Adams on this. There is big potential downside - Both could turn UFA after next season and Buffalo could lose them for nothing.

Johnson was a 1st round pick and would be going into his senior season.

But I guess Kevyn Adams doesn’t really gain anything by telling the press he’s not ok with either guy going back to school. It could hurt any trade leverage with other teams.

He also may not have the same “Buffalo fan syndrome” fears of players spurning Buffalo that some of us fans do.

It’ll be interesting to see what both players decide. It seems to me like Buffalo wants both to turn pro this year. Adams can try to sell it any way he wants, but there’s no way he wants Portillo going back to school for another year, then having both him and Levi sign next offseason. He’s already said that’s not ideal.

Michigan has what, seven first round picks in their lineup? If they go pro after winning a national championship, then I gotta wonder about Portillo’s judgment if he elects to go back. It’s all downside. And I think KA knows that, but was right in not saying it. 

Johnson is another story. I can see him wanting another bite of the apple with a good Minnesota hockey team if they fall short of the title this year. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

Anderson had to get a blade replaced and they did it right by the goal. I honestly had no idea how they did it but I see now... pretty streamlined from the old days.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow, what a play by Dahlin (on the Sabres 3rd goal) to keep the puck in at the blueline then find Olofsson with that pass!

Game was on ESPN + so I didn’t watch it. Next game is on ESPN + too.

Aggravating that I need to spend another $6.99/mo just to be able to watch all of the same Sabres games I was always able to watch before this. I feel like I already pay for all the games with my cable package.

To anyone with ESPN + : do they show all of the Sabres games? Or only a handful?

if they showed them all it would be a nice alternative to cable.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow, what a play by Dahlin (on the Sabres 3rd goal) to keep the puck in at the blueline then find Olofsson with that pass!

Aggravating that I need to spend another $6.99/mo just to be able to watch all of the same Sabres games I was always able to watch before this. I feel like I already pay for all the games with my cable package.

To anyone with ESPN + : do they show all of the Sabres games? Or only a handful?

With ESPN+ you see about 76 games. The games you don't get are ones on TNT, NHLN or blacked out because they play your local NHL team. (The Bruins in my case.)

I don't think the next game is an ESPN/Hulu exclusive.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

With ESPN+ you see about 76 games. The games you don't get are ones on TNT, NHLN or blacked out because they play your local NHL team. (The Bruins in my case.)

I don't think the next game is an ESPN/Hulu exclusive.

So basically all of the Sabres games they show on MSG I could get with ESPN + then?

if so that’s not a bad deal.

16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

So basically all of the Sabres games they show on MSG I could get with ESPN + then?

if so that’s not a bad deal.

Plus, they show all Buffalo Bandits lacrosse games and a million college games. Since I'm a UB alum I get every televised UB sport. For me it's a great deal.

I forgot to ask, do live around WNY? You won't get Sabres games because MSG keeps the rights in the home territory. You'll only see the 4-5 Hulu exclusive games.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Switch to Verizon wireless.  You get that, Disney+ and Hulu included.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Plus, they show all Buffalo Bandits lacrosse games and a million college games. Since I'm a UB alum I get every televised UB sport. For me it's a great deal.

I forgot to ask, do live around WNY? You won't get Sabres games because MSG keeps the rights in the home territory. You'll only see the 4-5 Hulu exclusive games.

Yes I do.

I’d enjoy getting the bandits games, especially with how good they’ve been. But I don’t watch much college sports. Mostly just NFL and NHL. Some AHL/college hockey. Bandits game on the rare occasion one is on TV. 

I yeah it’s not as appealing without all the games on MSG. I’d only get the 8 Sabres games on ESPN+. I was thinking it could be a nice MSG alternative if I eventually ditch my cable. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Switch to Verizon wireless.  You get that, Disney+ and Hulu included.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually have Verizon wireless now, but not unlimited. We have a family plan with a 2gb data limit. I’ll have to see what the difference in monthly price would be between the different options. I have Disney + already ($6.99/mo). I also have the basic Hulu right now for 99 cents/month for a year (maybe 6-8 months left) but I don’t watch it much.

I wish they had Fios in my area.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually have Verizon wireless now, but not unlimited. We have a family plan with a 2gb data limit. I’ll have to see what the difference in monthly price would be between the different options. I have Disney + already ($6.99/mo). I also have the basic Hulu right now for 99 cents/month for a year (maybe 6-8 months left) but I don’t watch it much.

I wish they had Fios in my area.

When you open the Hulu app, at the top, see if you can scroll over to “Hubs” because that’s where you’ll find the ESPN+ hockey game listings. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Good, the Lightning lost again... 3 in a row. That game is on my radar but I'm not going, will be watching it from here. We have an ugly stretch coming up starting tomorrow night so I guess its a test to see how far we've come.

I’m actually excited to go to a hockey game tonight!  It will be my first in a couple of years.  Curious to see the Buffalo fan turnout, as in the past we’ve had solid support in Raleigh, but the bandwagon Canes fans have been pumped up as well since they have a top team.

• Like (+1) 2

Just a reminder that the college hockey Frozen Four games are scheduled for 5pm and 8:30pm Eastern time today.  Michigan plays in the early game

Edit: corrected to state Michigan plays in 5pm game

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 1