Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The above ^^ is what YOU SAID.

Now you're moving the goalpost.

Why don't you just admit you didn't watch the clip being discussed?  Because if you had you would never have called it an example of "a MLB blanketing his coverage like he was a Tre White clone."  HE LITERALLY TAKES TWO STEPS TO HIS LEFT TO DISRUPT A PASSING LANE.

Please.  There are reasonable bases to defend Edmunds' play, and then there's hyperbole and outright mythology.  

Now Edmunds has elevated his game to being a Tre White clone too.   😆

We'll be looking for that Tre White "Peanut Punch" next.............oh wait...........no that's right,  fumble recoveries are totally random........no correlation between a well-timed, intentional stripping away of the football from an offensive player fighting for extra yardage......and the subsequent alert defender anticipating the possibility of such.......must be a highly unexpected and random occurrence. :blink:

Funny how the same guys keep making all the random big plays...........as I was watching that Milano recovery I was reminded of the Poyer/Milano strip/recovery that was overturned at the very end of the Colts playoff game.    I had no idea this stuff was totally random.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You clearly missed the sarcasm in using the same extremities that I was countering.  

And he executed that play perfectly, and NOT all LBs do that, Beasley makes LBs look silly on the same route regularly.  And he did this on more than just this play.  

Sorry, you’re still downplaying good plays for the purpose of exaggerating bad plays to confirm your opinion of him.

There isn’t a GM in football who wouldn’t have picked up Edmunds option just like Beane did.  

This is IMHO the worst thread of the year full of over exaggerated hot takes and non sense.  I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a thread with more blatant confirmation bias attempts as this one.  

You are confusing "perfect" execution with the minimally successful execution.

Perfect execution is baiting Henicke into throwing into the double team and making a play on the football............getting him to move to his second read and putting the responsibility on Milano to handle the much tougher coverage assignment was the least that Edmunds should have accomplished.

Again.........Milano had the much harder job and Poyer made an alert and instintive play.     All Edmunds did was combine on a double team to take away a very short pass option.

As for the "Beasley makes LB's look silly" take.........sometimes.........but other times he gets bracketed and Allen should be moving on to his next read.    Heinicke did a poor job of recognizing the coverage pre-snap.   Where else was Edmunds going to go if he didn't blitz?  

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are confusing "perfect" execution with the minimally successful execution.

Perfect execution is baiting Henicke into throwing into the double team and making a play on the football............getting him to move to his second read and putting the responsibility on Milano to handle the much tougher coverage assignment was the least that Edmunds should have accomplished.

Again.........Milano had the much harder job and Poyer made an alert and instintive play.     All Edmunds did was combine on a double team to take away a very short pass option.

As for the "Beasley makes LB's look silly" take.........sometimes.........but other times he gets bracketed and Allen should be moving on to his next read.    Heinicke did a poor job of recognizing the coverage pre-snap.   Where else was Edmunds going to go if he didn't blitz?  

Come on...baiting him now is the prerequisite, and on a play where Heineke DID throw an interception forcing the pass when no one was open?  You just keep moving the goal post on Edmunds to down play when he does something that is counter intuitive to your "he sucks" agenda.  I mean you comments here are amongst the worse takes so far.  

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We'll be looking for that Tre White "Peanut Punch" next.............oh wait...........no that's right,  fumble recoveries are totally random........no correlation between a well-timed, intentional stripping away of the football from an offensive player fighting for extra yardage......and the subsequent alert defender anticipating the possibility of such.......must be a highly unexpected and random occurrence. :blink:

Funny how the same guys keep making all the random big plays...........as I was watching that Milano recovery I was reminded of the Poyer/Milano strip/recovery that was overturned at the very end of the Colts playoff game.    I had no idea this stuff was totally random.

To that end (and I realize it's getting off-topic but still relevant vis a vis a player's skillset, real or imagined): this has been studied by several outlets, FootballOutsiders as referenced before as well as FootballPerspective and others. It may seem counterintuitive to you but there is no predictive data to be derived from fumble recoveries. It is entirely random and using them as proof of a player's relative abilities isn't going to offer anything in the way of insight. It's a totally useless endeavor.

If fumble recoveries were a skill and not luck, we would expect a nonrandom set of values of a linear regression between the relationship of a team's fumble recoveries from the first half of the season to the second. Instead, you get this:

image.thumb.png.7b0982696b7d0e30bbaa4530482edcca.png

...ie a totally random distribution. The relationship between a team's fumble recoveries from the first half of the season to the second is <.02, or a  nonexplanatory independent variable. Contrast this to the observed values of a team's yards per carry, which IS predictive over time, distributed over the same first half/second half of the season model:

image.thumb.png.462586bc55e6b15da960d3c4c472400c.png

...you get a very neat linear progression. tldr fumble recoveries are known quantities , entirely random, and should not be used to infer the quality (or lack thereof) of a player/defense/team

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

To that end (and I realize it's getting off-topic but still relevant vis a vis a player's skillset, real or imagined): this has been studied by several outlets, FootballOutsiders as referenced before as well as FootballPerspective and others. It may seem counterintuitive to you but there is no predictive data to be derived from fumble recoveries. It is entirely random and using them as proof of a player's relative abilities isn't going to offer anything in the way of insight. It's a totally useless endeavor.

If fumble recoveries were a skill and not luck, we would expect a nonrandom set of values of a linear regression between the relationship of a team's fumble recoveries from the first half of the season to the second. Instead, you get this:

...ie a totally random distribution. The relationship between a team's fumble recoveries from the first half of the season to the second is <.02, or a  nonexplanatory independent variable. Contrast this to the observed values of a team's yards per carry, which IS predictive over time, distributed over the same first half/second half of the season model:

...you get a very neat linear progression. tldr fumble recoveries are known quantities , entirely random, and should not be used to infer the quality (or lack thereof) of a player/defense/team

You have eyes.  Watch Edmunds closely when the ball is on the ground.  Most of the time he doesn’t react.  When he does, he flops around on the ground like a fish trying to get control of it.  Hand- eye coordination isn’t luck or random.  Some athletes are better than others at seeing, reacting and securing a football that is rolling around on the ground.  Edmunds has zero recoveries.  Milano, who is always hurt, has 7 playing far fewer snaps.  There are random aspects involved in recovering a fumble, but that doesn’t mean that some players are better at it than others.  It’s not 💯 lucky.  There’s some skill involved. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You have eyes.  Watch Edmunds closely when the ball is on the ground.  Most of the time he doesn’t react.  When he does, he flops around on the ground like a fish trying to get control of it.  Hand- eye coordination isn’t luck or random.  Some athletes are better than others at seeing, reacting and securing a football that is rolling around on the ground.  Edmunds has zero recoveries.  Milano, who is always hurt, has 7 playing far fewer snaps.  There are random aspects involved in recovering a fumble, but that doesn’t mean that some players are better at it than others.  It’s not 💯 lucky.  There’s some skill involved. 

The data show otherwise.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that Edmunds is a pretty good LB who works well within the Buffalo defense.  Is that the guy I want to pay top-5 LB money to when his contract expires?  Nope.  But he’s also not JAG.  The retention of Milano last offseason looks more and more like the steal of the offseason.  If they both stay healthy the Bills’ D will be just fine.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Maybe it's just me but it seems that all the big plays given up yesterday (specifically during the WTF mini run in the 2nd quarter) that Edmunds seemed to be a liability or missed a tackle.

I still will never understand what the coaching staff sees in him but there's really nothing that stands out about his game and even when he has had opportunities to make game changing plays (i.e. INT) it just doesn't happen.

Remember his still young,oh wait his been in the league 4 years now I guess we can’t use that anymore.  I for one think his just a ok player and would love for us to get better at the position. 

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed 💯.  

But he kinda stinks sometimes.  Right?  🤪

Certainly got some things to work on. Again I have no clue on his valuation but the point I want to make is that he’s doing things well that are not obvious to us fans. 

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

An opinion (mine as well) that Beane should not have picked up his 5th year option is not the same as the others on your list. He is an acceptable player but we can do better. McBeane should have waited to see his performance this season before making decisions about his future with the team. If he left in FA next offseason, so be it. Draft or look for options in FA to get, at worst, similar performance. 

This sorta doesn’t make sense. If you don’t pick up his 5th year you have to make a decision about his future after this year. By picking his 5th year up you get an extra year to evaluate.  You don’t pick up the 5th year if you’ve seen enough and you don’t want to re-sign (sounds like where you are at). Some do re-sign but I think the majority don’t.  Beane did NOT make any long term decisions about his future. He just gave himself more time to evaluate. 

the draft is super unlikely to give you similar performance and I also think a UFA would be pretty pricey (12 mil probably) for a top 10 mlb. 

I just don’t see them moving on from a three year captain, 2x pro bowler, ranked in top 10 at position by peers when they could get an extra year of team control. 

in conclusion yes it’s pretty crazy to call picking up the 5th year a mistake. It’s probably the least crazy thing on my list but sounds like you believe some of the other items on my list. 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

No, sorry. Fumble recoveries are not predictive and have zero correlation year to year.

Recovery of a fumble, despite being the product of hard work, is almost entirely random.

Stripping the ball is a skill. Holding onto the ball is a skill. Pouncing on the ball as it is bouncing all over the place is not a skill. There is no correlation whatsoever between the percentage of fumbles recovered by a team in one year and the percentage they recover in the next year. The odds of recovery are based solely on the type of play involved, not the teams or any of their players.

Fans like to insist that specific coaches can teach their teams to recover more fumbles by swarming to the ball. Chicago's Lovie Smith, in particular, is supposed to have this ability. However, in Smith’s first three seasons as head coach of the Bears, their rate of fumble recovery on defense went from a league-best 76 percent in 2004 to a league-worst 33 percent in 2005, then back to 67 percent in 2006.

Fumble recovery is equally erratic on offense. In 2008, the Bears fumbled 12 times on offense and recovered only three of them. In 2009, the Bears fumbled 18 times on offense, but recovered 13 of them.

Fumble recovery is a major reason why the general public overestimates or underestimates certain teams. Fumbles are huge, turning-point plays that dramatically impact wins and losses in the past, while fumble recovery percentage says absolutely nothing about a team's chances of winning games in the future. With this in mind, Football Outsiders stats treat all fumbles as equal, penalizing them based on the likelihood of each type of fumble (run, pass, sack, etc.) being recovered by the defense.

Other plays that qualify as "non-predictive events" include blocked kicks and touchdowns during turnover returns. These plays are not "lucky," per se, but they have no value whatsoever for predicting future performance.

The famous Jim Schwartz study when he worked as an intern for Belichick in Cleveland actually went further and concluded that fumbles in their entirety are entirely random and equally non-predictive year on year.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The data show otherwise.

And common sense tells you that people can actually be better at such a thing than others.  Being near the fumbled ball is random.  Going through the process of locating the ball, picking up the ball, fighting for the ball and securing is not.  Tremaine has shown that he is deficient in that department. All the data I need is my eyes.  Turn on the tape and watch what he does when the ball is fumbled.  Your data doesn’t prove that one athlete can’t be better at recovering fumbles than another. 

tremaine has had opportunities…..he just sucks at cashing in on those opportunities. 

28 minutes ago, eball said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that Edmunds is a pretty good LB who works well within the Buffalo defense.  Is that the guy I want to pay top-5 LB money to when his contract expires?  Nope.  But he’s also not JAG.  The retention of Milano last offseason looks more and more like the steal of the offseason.  If they both stay healthy the Bills’ D will be just fine.

I agree with pretty much all of that.  

55 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This is the same mistake The Big Cat made with his "heat maps" when defending Rex Ryan's defense in Buffalo............trying to explain away an inherent deficiency using a statistical field that does not take into account individual player strengths and weaknesses.

While team fumble recoveries.........and to some extent turnovers.........can seem random or fluctuate greatly from season to season.........certain players are clearly exceptional at creating them AND coming away with the football.    Undeniably.    

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the same mistake The Big Cat made with his "heat maps" when defending Rex Ryan's defense in Buffalo............trying to explain away an inherent deficiency using a statistical field that does not take into account individual player strengths and weaknesses.

While team fumble recoveries.........and to some extent turnovers.........can seem random or fluctuate greatly from season to season.........certain players are clearly exceptional at creating them AND coming away with the football.    Undeniably.    

No.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2004/guest-column-turnovers-and-unpredictability-defense

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You clearly missed the sarcasm in using the same extremities that I was countering.  

And he executed that play perfectly, and NOT all LBs do that, Beasley makes LBs look silly on the same route regularly.  And he did this on more than just this play.  

Sorry, you’re still downplaying good plays for the purpose of exaggerating bad plays to confirm your opinion of him.

There isn’t a GM in football who wouldn’t have picked up Edmunds option just like Beane did.  

This is IMHO the worst thread of the year full of over exaggerated hot takes and non sense.  I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a thread with more blatant confirmation bias attempts as this one.  

Edmunds is our 2021 whipping boy.

• Like (+1) 2

Some guys are just ball magnets and that's the way it is. Like a great rebounder who just instinctually senses where to set up and box out, some guys have a natural tendency to take the ball away because they know where it is and sense where it's about to be.. Maybe it's because they're so anticipatory or they're seeing the game at a different speed than everybody else, whatever the case it's real and no mathematical rationalization is going to account for it. Watch Tre White or Milano making tackles; they've always got one fist punching in the process of wrapping up. Or Poyer's instinctive timing to be able to coil and then attack at the vulnerable moment.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was reminded of the Poyer/Milano strip/recovery that was overturned at the very end of the Colts playoff game.

That's a perfect example. Poyer could have absolutely walloped Pascal as he was stupidly trying to get back up, but he didn't. He instinctively held himself up to avoid contact until Pascal was off the ground and then hammered the ball the split second that Pascal's knee came off the turf. You can't teach guys to see the game at that kind of a different speed than everybody else, you either have that or you don't. And Edmunds just doesn't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Some guys are just ball magnets and that's the way it is. Like a great rebounder who just instinctually senses where to set up and box out, some guys have a natural tendency to take the ball away because they know where it is and sense where it's about to be.. Maybe it's because they're so anticipatory or they're seeing the game at a different speed than everybody else, whatever the case it's real and no mathematical rationalization is going to account for it. Watch Tre White or Milano making tackles; they've always got one fist punching in the process of wrapping up. Or Poyer's instinctive timing to be able to coil and then attack at the vulnerable moment.

That's a perfect example. Poyer could have absolutely walloped Pascal as he was stupidly trying to get back up, but he didn't. He instinctively held himself up to avoid contact until Pascal was off the ground and then hammered the ball the split second that Pascal's knee came off the turf. You can't teach guys to see the game at that kind of a different speed than everybody else, you either have that or you don't. And Edmunds just doesn't. 

Think they are talking about fumble recovery which is random by my understanding.  Don’t know that anyone has metrics on recovering fumbles relative to opportunities. But which team gets it is pretty much 50/50

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

Think they are talking about fumble recovery which is random by my understanding.  Don’t know that anyone has metrics on recovering fumbles relative to opportunities. But which team gets it is pretty much 50/50

It may be 50/50 by teams, but there are individuals who excel in that area because of how they see the game. Some guys just recognize before others when the ball is going to come out, or what angle at which it's going to hit the turf and bounce or when they can handle it with a scoop or need to get down on it because somebody else is closing behind them, etc.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.