Any thoughts on our individual DL players

Reader

I haven't seen much mentioned about our 9 DL who were out there today. Did anyone have a particularly better day than anyone else? It seemed Oliver showed up a bit, but I have no clue as to whether Phillips outplayed Butler, if Epenesa played better than Obada, etc...

Steelers couldn't run it and that was my primary concern.

Ben gets rid of it in 2.5 seconds or less.  There is no way to consistently get to him. 

The punt block.  That was the difference it deflated everybody in the 4th quarter.  

I also know this Steelers oline is not the best litmus test right now bc it isn't good yet.  

But collectively I thought they were good and Oliver stood out the most.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Hold the Steelers to 16 points against your offense (can't blame the defense for the blocked punt TD) and you're doing a pretty solid job.

I saw a lot of guys flash, and several get schooled on individual plays. Overall, though, the defense really was NOT the problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bigantall said:

We had no pass rush 

I disagree.  There was pressure often.  Using Sal’s metaphor, arrow up on Oliver, Addison, and GROOT.  The other guys had just an avg. game.  They were better than last year on average.  The Steelers only scored one TD, 16 offensive points, and didn’t run on us.

It was our offense that sucked yesterday.  Bad coaching, bad line, and a bad QB play.  No freaking out, but I’m hoping has a practice this morning whether the players like it or not.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its hard to say without seeing the snap counts, but popular opinion or not, I think Jerry Hughes has been bad since 2019.    You can get 4.5 sacks a year from someone who makes a lot less money.   Sick of hearing about how much pressure he gets.  Get home and make plays.   He and Vernon Butler are both a giant waste of money.

If we are speaking specifically about yesterday, Oliver, Rousseau, Addison, and Zimmer were all very good.   Hughes, Butler, Epenesa, and Phillips were all pedestrian at best, and non-existent at worst. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Its hard to say without seeing the snap counts, but popular opinion or not, I think Jerry Hughes has been bad since 2019.    You can get 4.5 sacks a year from someone who makes a lot less money.   Sick of hearing about how much pressure he gets.  Get home and make plays.   He and Vernon Butler are both a giant waste of money.

If we are speaking specifically about yesterday, Oliver, Rousseau, Addison, and Zimmer were all very good.   Hughes, Butler, Epenesa, and Phillips were all pedestrian at best, and non-existent at worst. 

Hughes had a great rush on in the play that forced the INT that was called back (on the very sketchy holding call).

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I disagree.  There was pressure often.  Using Sal’s metaphor, arrow up on Oliver, Addison, and GROOT.  The other guys had just an avg. game.  They were better than last year on average.  The Steelers only scored one TD, 16 offensive points, and didn’t run on us.

It was our offense that sucked yesterday.  Bad coaching, bad line, and a bad QB play.  No freaking out, but I’m hoping has a practice this morning whether the players like it or not.

They are always there  on Monday after an L … if they win, sometimes McDermott gives them the day off but not always 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are always there  on Monday after an L … if they win, sometimes McDermott gives them the day off but not always 

I know. I was making a point.  30 years ago and they should be running gassers.  I know they won’t but that’s how I was coached and even if I had a good game, it really instills on you team game.