Jump to content

New WGR lineup


YoloinOhio
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If anyone else wants to create some competition, the door is wide open for a solid chance at success.

 

 

 

The problem is creating a REAL competitor to WGR would cost more than any of the usual broadcast companies in Buffalo are willing to spend. But I am convinced a new sports station in Buffalo, one that does more than throw ESPN or Fox Sports on off a satellite, would do great. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

Inertia. Doing a job forever with little or no competition.

I was going to post something similar.

 

Those kids always come on and do a great job because they are low-paid and hungry to put in the work, get experience, and someday hit the lotto of a good-paying gig in sports media.  

 

Bulldog just rolls out of bed and deals with the annoyance of a 3 hour show (I think the 4th hour is often pre-taped).

 

To his credit, I feel Jeremy White still carries some of the youthful exuberance of his job.  He still apparently really likes the sports he covers, has energy, and also doesnt seem to have 10 vacation weeks a year

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

The problem is creating a REAL competitor to WGR would cost more than any of the usual broadcast companies in Buffalo are willing to spend. But I am convinced a new sports station in Buffalo, one that does more than throw ESPN or Fox Sports on off a satellite, would do great. 

 

I really liked the CBS Sports radio affiliate.  National shows, but I thought they were good.  Unfortunately, 1270 changed into another box of hate and negativity.

 

1520 is a station I tune into sometimes, but its nearly 100% sports gambling, which gets redundant.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I was going to post something similar.

 

Those kids always come on and do a great job because they are low-paid and hungry to put in the work, get experience, and someday hit the lotto of a good-paying gig in sports media.  

 

Bulldog just rolls out of bed and deals with the annoyance of a 3 hour show (I think the 4th hour is often pre-taped).

 

To his credit, I feel Jeremy White still carries some of the youthful exuberance of his job.  He still apparently really likes the sports he covers, has energy, and also doesnt seem to have 10 vacation weeks a year

 

He practically does that now. WGR let's him work from home using an AoIP link. But when you've been on the air for 30 years you get those concessions.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

If anyone else wants to create some competition, the door is wide open for a solid chance at success.

 

 

Check and see how 'sports only' formats have fared against Entercom / Audacy in this market.

WNSA fm.

WHLD am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Check and see how 'sports only' formats have fared against Entercom / Audacy in this market.

WNSA fm.

WHLD am.

 

WHLD is mostly satellite programming. That isn't going to do anything.

 

WNSA put a decent dent into WGR. What killed them off was owner John Rigas going to jail.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its not a big enough market for 2 local-sports-only stations.  550 with the Sabres/Bills rights is a juggernaut locally.

 

1270 was pretty good for awhile.  Bull (Gaenzler) had a good show to start.  Covered a lot of different subject matter that 550 wont touch...  towards the end though, he got back into his shock-jokey pukey delivery though which got annoying.  Tim Graham had a great show too.  Brad Riter is always solid.  It was just spotty.  Shows had low fanfare or marketing/buzz.  Lots of syndication going on, etc.  

 

I like to hear coverage about local college hoops, UB Football, Bisons, Bandits, NBA, MLB, etc in addition to Sabres/Bills stuff.  That is what made Empire Sports so good.  You had to sit through other stuff to get to the Sabres/Bills but it made the other stuff interesting as well.  550 is 99% Bills and Sabres, and while I really like those things, it gets beat to death.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Yep; lots of them went to Buff state.  Bulldog did, Howard Simon.  That's Buffalo for you!  

 

I think Schopp went to St. John Fisher in Rochester.  

 

The kids Schopp and Bulldog get are some of the sharpest people at the station--way sharper than Jeremy White or stammering Bulldog, for example.  

 

I'm not quite sure how he keeps a job, given his difficulties in communicating verbally.

 

They do have 4 hours to kill each day and he has a habit of taking 5 minutes to convey 20 seconds of thought...so maybe that's a good thing.

 

 

 

 

I think the Schoop and gambling thing is just the new addiction in his long line of addictions where he spends money.   First it was sports cards, then alcohol, now gambling.   Bulldog has the same thing.  First he was a runner, then a craft beer drinking record collector, then a punk rock guitar player, now a punk rock guitar playing cyclist. 

 

I dont think its that unusual for people to go through phases in their lives. I suppose we all do.   However, part of me thinks both of them are aging hipsters who are just a little cooler and more intelligent than everyone else.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I hate Audacy!!

 

I've noticed that you can tell who Audacy thinks is listening by the person who does the "an Audacy station" thing every top and bottom of the hour.

 

On that note, the girl on WGR sounds like she's annoyed to say it and only recorded her part to shut the company up after being told "come on... say it! say it! Aren't you going to say it? It's just 3 words..."

Edited by TheFunPolice
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

The problem is creating a REAL competitor to WGR would cost more than any of the usual broadcast companies in Buffalo are willing to spend. But I am convinced a new sports station in Buffalo, one that does more than throw ESPN or Fox Sports on off a satellite, would do great. 

This x 1000. Thanks to deregulation signed in 96, there is no competition.  You'd need some Pegula type $ to buy 1520 and staff it properly. If that was the case GR would be in trouble. I mean really, if another station stole the Bills rights, would anyone listen to GR.

 

I  subscribe to Sirius.  I know it's not Buffalo exclusive content but you can learn more about the Bills in one 22 minute segment on Movin the Chains than you would all week on GR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gomper said:

This x 1000. Thanks to deregulation signed in 96, there is no competition.  You'd need some Pegula type $ to buy 1520 and staff it properly. If that was the case GR would be in trouble. I mean really, if another station stole the Bills rights, would anyone listen to GR.

 

I  subscribe to Sirius.  I know it's not Buffalo exclusive content but you can learn more about the Bills in one 22 minute segment on Movin the Chains than you would all week on GR.

 

Let's just say WGR better hope I never hit the Powerball.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was quite a funny moment when I was listening the other day..
Sal was on with schopp and the bulldog and Sal read out an online bills comment he liked from a fan, he mentioned the guy who made the comment saying.. ' so thanks to A A ron for the comment.. schopp paused and said..' you mean Aaron Sal' ??

Sal seemed embarrassed and moved on quickly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic….is there any way to listen to the radio broadcast after the game?  I thought I heard that’s it’s not available on Game Pass anymore, just live. Would like to hear the broadcast after the game sometime….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darn, when I saw this thread I was hoping there was a lineup shuffle. Then I saw the original post was from September.

 

The guys on Buffalo Fanatics which can be found on YouTube are much, much better than anybody on WGR except Sal. If you've ever listened to the post-game show "The Rico Report" on Buffalo Fanatics, you'll never listen to WGR post-game again.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 9:46 AM, May Day 10 said:

2 Hours of Sabres talk is 2 hours too many.  This is coming from someone who was as die-hard as you could get from the 30+ years prior to 4-5 years ago.

 

3 Hours of Bills talk with boring Brown and Tasker is too much on a daily basis.

 

Isn't the "Coach" still on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, london_bills said:

There was quite a funny moment when I was listening the other day..
Sal was on with schopp and the bulldog and Sal read out an online bills comment he liked from a fan, he mentioned the guy who made the comment saying.. ' so thanks to A A ron for the comment.. schopp paused and said..' you mean Aaron Sal' ??

Sal seemed embarrassed and moved on quickly. 

I caught this too. Apparently Sal has never seen the spelling of the name Aaron. Mike kind of laughed and pointed it out, but Sal kept moving on.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...