9/11 - where were you on the day that changed history?

RobbRiddick

18 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I was at work on the line at my factory when a guy came in and said a plane flew into the WTC that was all he said.

I thought one of those stupid sight seeing Cessna's F'D up.

I got out of work at 3pm and the radio said 2 Jumbo Jets and I was like WTF?

I got home and watched in horror an attack worse than Pearl Harbor on civilians by mentally disturbed fundamentalists.

I was 42 at the time and felt like joining the military to hunt down those bastards behind this.

My girlfriend talked some sanity into me saying it was a job for much younger men and the US had Special OP's guys already trained and ready to deploy. 

She said they would get them before I finished boot camp.

My heart and prayers go out every year to all the families who were effected by these mad men over the last 2 decades

The original victims and all the brave service men and women that gave their lives fighting these crazy jihadists.

Long Live the USA

Long Live Freedom

Sadly the US government's reaction to the terrible events was to restrict freedom while saying "fight for freedom". Love this country but hate the government and people that believe any word they say. 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Sadly the US government's reaction to the terrible events was to restrict freedom while saying "fight for freedom". Love this country but hate the government and people that believe any word they say. 

We(North Americans) have it a lot better than 3/4 of the world.

For all that is wrong with our democracies there is still way more that is right

Every 4 years we get to vote for our leaders without intimidation and fear.

Life is what you make it ,our time on earth is very short make the most of it :)

• Haha (+1) 1

I was living in California. My ex woke me and my step son up, saying a plane flew into the WTC. As we were watching that at 6:30 am, we saw the 2nd plane hit. 

My ex and I were working for ourselves at the time, (landscaping), so we went to work. One of the clients we saw on Sept 11th was a couple from Danville. When we saw them, they were both white as a ghost, and the wife was nearly in tears. When we asked what was wrong, they told us that they were in NYC visiting their son in college, and they were deciding to take the red eye back to San Francisco, or take the first flight out the next morning. The wife wanted to be home to oversee the lawn install on their backyard renovation, so they decided on the red eye. The first flight out the next morning would have been Flight 93.

My ex was upset that Starbucks was closed on the 11th. She was in denial about the whole thing until the following Monday when the A's played the Yankees in NY. She couldn't stop crying the whole game. 

51 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Not an appropriate place for this post. You want to go over here for that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was at work, new location on Exchange St. We heard and gathered in a conference room the news. After the second building hit, we got nervous that we were not far from Seneca tower on Main st. And if that would be a target. Weird but watching tv news in c/room and glancing outside to see if a plane was coming low at or near us. My boss was hysterical and ran out of building and was gone for the day

I tell ya, we’ve had the memorial on all this morning since it started. Just going in the background on the TV while we go about our respective days. They’re up to “S” and I’m getting pretty broke up.  These family members still feel this day so much and I’m there with them.

God bless those who left us and those they left behind.

Edited by snafu

Not sure if it's the place,  but it fits.  It's a very good write up from 911 2016 on the 15th Anniversary.  Fits today on the 20th... Just as it would on 9/12/2001:

https://www.pressherald.com/2016/09/10/reflections-fifteen-years-after-911-we-must-turn-the-other-cheek/

"Fifteen years ago, we all remember where we were on a beautiful September morning when planes became weapons of terrorism and mass destruction. I was on route to a session with my spiritual director and our time was spent holding each other, weeping silently, as we watched the unthinkable unfold on the screen of her TV. Shocked and disbelieving, our prayers were limited to the words, “Oh, God! No!” It was a prayer echoed by many in that moment as the reality of what we were witnessing hit home. ..."

"...Two thousand years ago, Jesus spoke to a people living fearfully under the brutality of Roman oppression. Many wanted to fight back, to match violence with violence. In response, he uttered some of his most troubling and difficult teachings. He told his followers to love their enemies and to turn the other cheek when struck. That last one has always rankled me as it has been misused to quell any form of resistance to injustice and abuse..."

Yeah... That 'bout sums it up folks.  Short,  sweet, prudent and to the point! 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

At work listening to "94 Rock", after a song ended Brian Stahl the DJ said that a plane had hit the Tower. I went and found a conference room that was empty and turned on the TV. Watched it up until the second tower fell.

... Can't believe its 20 years, remember like it was yesterday

• Agree 1

I was still living at home with my parents, I was on a dial up internet connection my mom called worried about my uncle in New Jersey. I had no idea what she was going on about so I called her. She told me to watch the tv, I turned on to see the 2nd plane crash into the towers. 

Edited by The Jokeman

i was walking out of a microbiology exam in grad school in buffalo.  i remember walking by an office, and people were talking about how a plan accidentally ran into one of the towers.  by the time i got out of the building and back to the library, the second plane had happened.  i tried to look up new online, and there was just a picture of the burning trade center, with no real news printed yet.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.