NFL Cuts /Cut Tracker

Are you thinking of this as a Bills thread, or a general thread?

It's fine either way, but you might change the title to reflect your intent.

We'll probably want a thread focused only on the Bills' cuts and one for general.

PS the list shows as cuts, two players who are on the Bills IR (Duke Williams and Forrest Lamp)

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Duke was waived/injured but no one claimed him so he reverts to the Bills IR.

I don't think Lamp was cut, he was just put on IR, but I could be wrong there.

Duke did revert back to IR, but then was cut. I think Lamp too, but will check. 

Edit: that was the case

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Duke did revert back to IR, but then was cut. I think Lamp too, but will check. 

We can't cut an injured player; they may have negotiated an injury settlement.

From Buffalobills.com, which admittedly isn't always correct:

08/23

Signed RB Kerrith Whyte and CB Tim Harris. Placed OL Forrest Lamp on injured reserve and WR Duke Williams was waived/injured.

Neither Williams nor Lamp are listed on IR.

Ah, here we go.  August 26, Lamp injury settlement:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/bills-forrest-lamp-works-out-injury-settlement/

And Duke Williams injury settlement:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/duke-williams-settles-out-of-buffalo/

No details for either as to the length of the injury settlement.

General reminder: neither can not re-sign with Buffalo for (regular season part of injury settlement) + 6 weeks

15 minutes ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

It was interesting that Beane said (during the game) that he had received a lot of calls interested in our Defensive Ends.  Wonder who is going on the block to be traded...

Hoping it's Addison, if anybody. But i bet Obada/Bam Johnson are getting a lot of looks. All things equal, I'd move Addison..but if you're getting a..3rd(?) (4th?) for Obada...that's super tempting 

44 minutes ago, bills522 said:

Hoping it's Addison, if anybody. But i bet Obada/Bam Johnson are getting a lot of looks. All things equal, I'd move Addison..but if you're getting a..3rd(?) (4th?) for Obada...that's super tempting 

if anyone I think contenders with DE needs would be calling for either Hughes or Addison

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.99c84f60c4dfeb7d6f6a933e66f12e76.jpeg
So, what does Duke's injury settlement look like?  "Keep one of your jerseys, and here's a case of Pizza Logs"?

No word yet, and I know you're funnin', but as a whole since they don't seem much understood, injury settlements are pretty straightforward:

-The team and the player agree on the duration of the injury in question.  This is the most contentious part, as the team may argue for the shortest duration of the window suggested by a "standard" injury while the player and his agent may get a second opinion that comes back with a much lengthier time.

-The player then gets his weekly "game check" salary during the duration of the injury

-The player is entitled to medical treatment and rehabilitation at the facility of his choice.

-No "double dipping" - if the player is signed by another team before the end of the settlement period, he has to pay that part back.

Hard to say exactly what the settlement would be, but let's guess 6 weeks if it's serious. 

Duke was set to get $24,444/week, so I think how it works is he gets the rest of his "per diem" and housing allowance from training camp (1 week), then one "gap week", then 4 weeks of game checks or $97,776, plus the team pays the tab for his medical treatment and rehab.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

-The team and the player agree on the duration of the injury in question.  This is the most contentious part, as the team may argue for the shortest duration of the window suggested by a "standard" injury while the player and his agent may get a second opinion that comes back with a much lengthier time.

That subsection doesn't sound much different from any workplace around.  The company doctor says three days off; your family doctor says two months off. 😁