Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 3

GunnerBill

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Gunner -   

A couple of reactions.  First, Tommy Doyle.   I wouldn't be so quick to give up him.  Except for the guys taken in the first 30-40 spots in the draft, rookie linemen don't start.  They come into the league woefully underprepared for what the NFL demands of them, and they need two or three years to develop.   I think they took Doyle for his body without any serious expectation that he'd be NFL ready after a year, let alone after training camp.   So, he may be struggling, but I'd guess the Bills will try hard to hold onto him.

In fairness on Doyle I am not writing him off. I accept that there are "excuses" but my view is that he has played at an UDFA level this pre-season and if they hold onto him it is because they invested a 5th and are determined to give it time. Maybe you can put him on your initial 53 (because frankly I'd rather gamble on Doyle than Bobby Hart, he is more likely to improve) but if they do they better at least find a vet tackle for the practice squad because we are one injury (or Spencer Brown not getting back for week 1) away from Tommy Doyle being your main swing tackle in an NFL game and that is scary. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he looked off balance generally. To me Boettger just looks more balanced in pass pro and his footwork is more consistent if a little scruffy at times. Ford definitely gets his feet too wide apart and then ends up lunging because he can't shuffle. If the Bills were a run first offense I'd put Cody Ford in to start, but the type of offense we are Boettger (who as I say gave up the hit on Allen on the TD throw to Moss so wasn't faultless himself) would be my guy.

Gotcha....I must say though regarding Ford that imo he has been a little disappointing anyway considering where he was drafted. Have just been hoping to see some improvement after some point. At least by now, or before now for that matter.

Anyways, will see how it goes.

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Play you’re referring to is at the 3:35 mark. Edmunds fits in Agap for his run responsibilities and stays with RB leaking flat. That’s been his job and his cues for run/run fakes. Guy who ends up w the ball is lined up as a TE and it’s actually Milano who lets him go by biting on playaction. 

*you can run the video on YouTube at .25x speed to slow it down 

Yea definitely Milano's guy he runs right past him. Hard to know exactly what the Bills called and in that situation even with Milano attacking the line after misdiagnosing the play the middle of the field shouldn't be that wide open. Will wait for the all22 angle but my first instinct is Hyde should have come up to fill the intermediate zone. It does remain a concern though teams attacking the natural aggression of the Bills linebackers with play action. There are a lot of those Shanahan style stretch zone teams knocking about now with all the play action boot stuff and we have to improve against it.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea definitely Milano's guy he runs right past him. Hard to know exactly what the Bills called and in that situation even with Milano attacking the line after misdiagnosing the play the middle of the field shouldn't be that wide open. Will wait for the all22 angle but my first instinct is Hyde should have come up to fill the intermediate zone. It does remain a concern though teams attacking the natural aggression of the Bills linebackers with play action. There are a lot of those Shanahan style stretch zone teams knocking about now with all the play action boot stuff and we have to improve against it.

I think there was confusion on who has the TE and who is responsible for the edge there, but regardless it’s just an inaccurate depiction of what occurred there re: Edmunds’ responsibilities, which has become a trope at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think there was confusion on who has the TE and who is responsible for the edge there, but regardless it’s just an inaccurate depiction of what occurred there re: Edmunds’ responsibilities, which has become a trope at this point.

Yea that play was not on Edmunds. I think a combo of Milano and Hyde. Looked like they weren't playing the same call to me but would like to see from behind the play on the all22. 

49 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Play you’re referring to is at the 3:35 mark. Edmunds fits in Agap for his run responsibilities and stays with RB leaking flat. That’s been his job and his cues for run/run fakes. Guy who ends up w the ball is lined up as a TE and it’s actually Milano who lets him go by biting on playaction. 

*you can run the video on YouTube at .25x speed to slow it down 

Like I said I didn't know if it was his responsibility, I just thought it was a  bad look to get knocked to the ground. Your breakdown of the play seems correct. It just feels like in general there's a lot of negative plays where Edmunds' role in the breakdown has to be excused, and very few positive plays. Personally I want my starting MLB to make a bigger impact on the game than Edmunds does. It's nice that he takes away passing lanes but defenses exploited his weaknesses last year and I worry it will happen again this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Like I said I didn't know if it was his responsibility, I just thought it was a  bad look to get knocked to the ground. Your breakdown of the play seems correct. It just feels like in general there's a lot of negative plays where Edmunds' role in the breakdown has to be excused, and very few positive plays. Personally I want my starting MLB to make a bigger impact on the game than Edmunds does. It's nice that he takes away passing lanes but defenses exploited his weaknesses last year and I worry it will happen again this year.

It’s not an excuse. Edmunds has a lot of responsibilities that people either seem to not understand or just ignore to make their case for why he isn’t performing. Imo to say he doesn’t impact games is pretty wild…he has a hand in almost every aspect of the defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Good Night for the No Huddle Offense

Ever since Dick Jauron's horrible "No O-line/No Huddle" offensive scheme, I've been skeptical of the ho-huddle offense. It seemed to me that it would often put the offense in as much of a disadvantage as the opposing D. It also seemed to require a fairly simple menu of plays that could be audibled at the LOS. This buffalo offense, however, is a different story. There is so much continuity, and familiarity on this starting offense, such a strong relationship between Daboll, and Allen, and so much trust, and leadership in Allen, that I suspect they can run a far more complex scheme from the no-huddle than the majority of other teams in the NFL. In fact, Allen's ability to audible seemed to have inspired the Packers to call a TO, at one point.

OK, here's my homerism for the day: If they decide to run it with any frequency, this team may have the best no-huddle offense since the K-gun under Marv Levy.

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Good Night for the No Huddle Offense

Ever since Dick Jauron's horrible "No O-line/No Huddle" offensive scheme, I've been skeptical of the ho-huddle offense. It seemed to me that it would often put the offense in as much of a disadvantage as the opposing D. It also seemed to require a fairly simple menu of plays that could be audibled at the LOS. This buffalo offense, however, is a different story. There is so much continuity, and familiarity on this starting offense, such a strong relationship between Daboll, and Allen, and so much trust, and leadership in Allen, that I suspect they can run a far more complex scheme from the no-huddle than the majority of other teams in the NFL. In fact, Allen's ability to audible seemed to have inspired the Packers to call a TO, at one point.

OK, here's my homerism for the day: If they decide to run it with any frequency, this team may have the best no-huddle offense since the K-gun under Marv Levy.

The no-huddle limits the call sheet on both sides and makes it much more about your 11 and their 11. You need better talent to run it. Jauron running it with Trent or Marrone and Hackett trying to run it with EJ was just moronic. If you have Josh Allen and one of the best 4 deep receiving corps in the NFL and two solid tackles then of course you can run the no huddle and be successful. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, a clear swing and miss. 

That said, for every miss, Beane seems to get many more hits. For example, I was randomly reading a draft recap of the 2018 draft. Beane was accused of overreaching on Dawkins (who projected to maybe being able to compete with Jordan Mills at RT), and reaching on Milano (who was viewed as maybe ST contributor).  

Reading stuff like that makes me feel better about some of the misses!

Beane did not draft Dawkins. White, Dawkins and Milano were drafted by Coach McDermott. Pretty good draft IMO.

Beane was hired 10 days after the 2017 draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Beane did not draft Dawkins. White, Dawkins and Milano were drafted by Coach McDermott. Pretty good draft IMO.

Beane was hired 10 days after the 2017 draft.

Oh whoops— my bad. Then props to Dougie boy!! 

by the way, why are you disliking all my posts, bro? Go pick on someone else!  🥴

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It’s not an excuse. Edmunds has a lot of responsibilities that people either seem to not understand or just ignore to make their case for why he isn’t performing. Imo to say he doesn’t impact games is pretty wild…he has a hand in almost every aspect of the defense.

Excuses are what you are making.

Here's how it works:

- Highly invested-in young player performs below expectations

- Homer fans rush to make excuses

- Said player continues to underachieve and it soon becomes indisputable

- fanbase begins to over-react and assign the failure of every failed play near him to said player

- Homer fans try to spin the over-reactions as proof that player isn't underperforming

Bottom line..........Edmunds hasn't made game changing plays...........and the excuses why he doesn't are wearing thin.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here's how it works:

- fanbase begins to over-react and assign the failure of every failed play near him to said player

- Homer fans try to spin the over-reactions as proof that player isn't underperforming

Bottom line..........Edmunds hasn't made game changing plays...........and the excuses why he doesn't are wearing thin.

Here's something no one can argue with, but of course you will.

Beane and McDermott have high expectations of their players, and when a player isn't performing, they go out and get serious competition at that position.   They try other options.  They do not leave on the field players who are not getting the job done.  We've seen it over and over.  

So, why is it that Beane has not drafted one young middle linebacker?  Why hasn't he signed one veteran free agent middle linebacker?   Why is it that McDermott unfailingly puts Edmunds back out there?

There is only one answer:  Edmunds is doing what the Bills want him to do.   It may not be what you want him to do, but you don't get a vote.  

Edmunds is getting his job done.   If he weren't, he'd have competition by now. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here's how it works:

The key to your point’s validity ( my opinion) is that Edmunds hasn’t made a lot of game changing plays. That’s certainly accurate. Judging him as a 1990’s 4-3 MLB ( which is what most of his critics do) would be inaccurate. He is a Nickel backer ( our formation 90% of the time) whose importance to McD’s scheme is mostly related to his length and ability to alter passing lanes or to run and tackle the short routes. I don’t really see the op as making excuses as much as trying to point that out. Edmunds certainly needs to make more impact plays this season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here's how it works:

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

56304810-carolina-panthers-v-buffalo-bil

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here's how it works:

Do you think it’s productive to label people with a different opinion on a player ‘homer fans’?

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

While funny, You cannot possibly be comparing Edmunds and Mike Williams. One is considered an upper 3rd lb by his peers and other coaches while the other never had an ounce of success in the pros.

Edited by 34-78-83

5 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

While funny, You cannot possibly be comparing Edmunds and Mike Williams. One is considered an upper 3rd lb by his peers and other coaches while the other never had an ounce is success in the pros.

No, actually I like Edmunds, but the same stages that Badol listed went down with Puddinhead.. maybe not as many posters, but they were very vocal.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

So, why is it that Beane has not drafted one young middle linebacker? 

Why hasn't he signed one veteran free agent middle linebacker?   

Why is it that McDermott unfailingly puts Edmunds back out there?

There is only one answer:  Edmunds is doing what the Bills want him to do.   It may not be what you want him to do, but you don't get a vote.  

Edmunds is getting his job done.   If he weren't, he'd have competition by now. 

1) They only play 2 LB's 90% of the snaps........they have plenty of them and an excess of depth.

2) Ridiculously wrong.   They signed Klein to a rather lucrative contract.   He was Kuechly's understudy in Carolina prior to going to New Orleans.  They also signed Tyrel Adams this offseason coming off a 120 tackle season as a starter(and cut him early because they are flush with reserve MLB's).   Andre Smith got a $2M+ per year deal and Tyler Matakevich's deal averaged $4M before it was adjusted.   Ain't nobody working for the minimum in that LB corps.

3) Because they are committed to turning his All-Pro physical traits into a commensurate MLB even it it takes a 4th or 5th season.  

If there is only one answer,  then I guess the reason that Levi Wallace didn't get any veteran or high draft pick competition is because they think he's like having another first rounder out there?

The whole "he gets the job done" mantra belongs with players like Eli..........not players you invest first round picks and potentially a $20M/yr contract too.

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you think it’s productive to label people with a different opinion on a player ‘homer fans’?

Anyone who can't acknowledge that his lack of game changing plays is conspicuous is NOT being the least bit objective.

46 minutes ago, Rico said:

I miss the weekly updates from the TSW homers on how much better off the Bills were for selecting Big Mike instead of the near universally favored Bryant McKinnie. 😆

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Anyone who can't acknowledge that his lack of game changing plays is conspicuous is NOT being the least bit objective.

I’ll leave it at if Edmunds’ game changing plays or lack thereof was what we were discussing you’d have a point.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I miss the weekly updates from the TSW homers on how much better off the Bills were for selecting Big Mike instead of the near universally favored Bryant McKinnie. 😆

It was all Pucillo's fault.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

The key to your point’s validity ( my opinion) is that Edmunds hasn’t made a lot of game changing plays. That’s certainly accurate. Judging him as a 1990’s 4-3 MLB ( which is what most of his critics do) would be inaccurate. He is a Nickel backer ( our formation 90% of the time) whose importance to McD’s scheme is mostly related to his length and ability to alter passing lanes or to run and tackle the short routes. I don’t really see the op as making excuses as much as trying to point that out. Edmunds certainly needs to make more impact plays this season.

I'm not judging him against a mid-1990's MLB..........I'm judging him against his peers.   

There is a level of exceptional MLB's who quote "get the job done" and also make game changing plays............Edmunds is not in that level.........mainly because of the lack of big plays but the reality is that he had a 110+ passer rating against and got carved up by QB's last season.    

By contrast,  fellow classmate Roquan Smith had a 59.6 passer rating against, 2 interceptions, 1 FF, 4 sacks and 18 TFL.   Half the people arguing about how Edmunds gets a bad rap don't even know who else plays the position.   Fortunately for Edmunds and his agent,  most of the best MLB/ILB's are in the NFC.

Edmunds is still probably a top 10 or 12 MLB/ILB.........because there aren't many above average players at the position.........it's devalued for a reason.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I’ll leave it at if Edmunds’ game changing plays or lack thereof was what we were discussing you’d have a point.

Well you know, the whole "his impact is hard to quantify" thing works a lot better when the results on that side of the ball are extraordinary.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

2nd, 3rd, 14th ranked defenses respectively since he took over at MLB

And worth saying - that 14th place was a result of a much improved Bills defense down the stretch when by no coincidence Edmunds played much better after struggling in the first half of 2020. Which both shows Edmunds does have an impact (when he is playing well the Bills D is better) but also that the Bills do still need more out of him - they need more consistency because when he has his off days it affects others too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not judging him against a mid-1990's MLB..........I'm judging him against his peers.   

There is a level of exceptional MLB's who quote "get the job done" and also make game changing plays............Edmunds is not in that level.........mainly because of the lack of big plays but the reality is that he had a 110+ passer rating against and got carved up by QB's last season.    

By contrast,  fellow classmate Roquan Smith had a 59.6 passer rating against, 2 interceptions, 1 FF, 4 sacks and 18 TFL.   Half the people arguing about how Edmunds gets a bad rap don't even know who else plays the position.   Fortunately for Edmunds and his agent,  most of the best MLB/ILB's are in the NFC.

Edmunds is still probably a top 10 or 12 MLB/ILB.........because there aren't many above average players at the position.........it's devalued for a reason.

I understand your angle however It’s much safer and more accurate to judge him via film review ( ie Turner, or your own) than Vs his peers who don’t necessarily play a 2 lb nickel scheme with the same type of responsibilities. It allows you to see what his role in the defense is much more clearly. With that said I agree he needs to make more impact plays to earn that big second contract.

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I understand your angle however It’s much safer and more accurate to judge him via film review ( ie Turner, or your own) than Vs his peers who don’t necessarily play a 2 lb nickel scheme with the same type of responsibilities. It allows you to see what his role in the defense is much more clearly. With that said I agree he needs to make more impact plays to earn that big second contract.

Ohhhhhhh.......ok......... let me know how your film review of these vastly different defenses goes. 😉

There hasn't been less variance between defense's in the NFL in decades.

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well you know, the whole "his impact is hard to quantify" thing works a lot better when the results on that side of the ball are extraordinary.

I kinda get both sides of it. Some feel he hasn't lived up to expectations  yet, or at least been more of an "impact MLB" than they feel he has considering he was a high pick at least by now in his career. 

Some feel he has done enough and for now are satisfied with it due to he's such a young MLB and still has much to learn. I get that too.

With all that said, where I stand with it is I'm not ready to write him off just yet. Obviously he had a rough go last season but also acknowledge he was injured for a lot of last season too, which I feel even the ppl that's pretty much done with him can agree that injury played at least a sizable part in that. 

So in conclusion, for me I want to see a hopefully healthy season this time and also hope he has learned more. 

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ohhhhhhh.......ok......... let me know how your film review of these vastly different defenses goes. 😉

There hasn't been less variance between defense's in the NFL in decades.

While I understand the X’s and O’s Of the game at a pretty high level for a fan, I defer to the analysis of the experts such as the ones I mentioned. Does R Smith play mostly in Nickel in a cover 2,3,4 scheme? I do not know but I know the Bills use a 6 man front more than most teams.

34 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

2nd, 3rd, 14th ranked defenses respectively since he took over at MLB

Meh, that's just yardage.

The 2018 and 2020 defenses allowed 374 and 375 points,  respectively.   Middling.

By contrast, the 2017 Preston Brown MLB'd defense allowed just 359...........and that was DESPITE averaging an astonishing 45 points allowed per game in the worst 3 game defensive stretch in Bills team history.

I guess we just couldn't quantify Preston's impact either.

The 2019 team had the easiest schedule the team has had since the league went to 16 games...........that created their low yardage + low points aberration.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The 2018 and 2020 defenses allowed 374 and 375 points,  respectively.   Middling.

The 2018 O wasn't helping.

Bills gave up 78 points in the first 2 games with Peterman playing.  Remember 5 picks in one half?

Stats have a lot of different roots.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness on Doyle I am not writing him off. I accept that there are "excuses" but my view is that he has played at an UDFA level this pre-season and if they hold onto him it is because they invested a 5th and are determined to give it time. Maybe you can put him on your initial 53 (because frankly I'd rather gamble on Doyle than Bobby Hart, he is more likely to improve) but if they do they better at least find a vet tackle for the practice squad because we are one injury (or Spencer Brown not getting back for week 1) away from Tommy Doyle being your main swing tackle in an NFL game and that is scary. 

Ford would be swing tackle before Doyle if he is still on roster.  Either he would shift from Guard or is one of the main OL backups.

22 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

While I understand the X’s and O’s Of the game at a pretty high level for a fan, I defer to the analysis of the experts such as the ones I mentioned. Does R Smith play mostly in Nickel in a cover 2,3,4 scheme? I do not know but I know the Bills use a 6 man front more than most teams.

Let us know.  Start at google.com.  2020 Bears + "base defense" is a good start. :thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes, comparing Edmunds to Preston Brown is the very pinnacle of objectivity.

He did lead the NFL in tackles that season.

Extraordinary!

To my untrained eye I just find him inconsistent.  This is not an overly complex defense and he’s been in it for a few years yet there are still Sundays where he’s just lost. He and the coaches often admit as much after those games.  And then other weeks he makes an impact.  I just don’t know what to make of the guy.  An instinctive player  with his measurable shouldn’t have weeks where he just disappears - but he does, so he must not be instinctive.  I don’t know about waiting and investing years into him finally becoming The One.  I tried that with my ex wife and in general, I think people are who they are and waiting for change is a fool’s errand.  But McBeane have invested so much in the guy, heck, they haven’t drafted or signed anyone who might even begin to challenge his roster spot, I just feel like we’re going to be in this for the long haul with Tremaine.  And just wait until they’re actually paying him top dollar, the outrage is really gonna spike when he disappears for weeks at a time.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Let us know.  Start at google.com.  2020 Bears + "base defense" is a good start. :thumbsup:

You are the smart a$$ of smart a$$es on this board ( you already know this lol) however …touché it looks like the bears switched to a 4-2-5 last season, so congrats on R Smith to T Edmunds being an apples to apples comparison. Point taken. Still, you’re going back and forth with somebody who agrees with you that Edmunds needs to make more impact plays. Look back to why I said your point was valid in the first place. And why so many other gripes about Edmunds are invalid.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s just incredibly inconsistent at making an impact…. He’s more so just an athletic gigantic MLB who is easily manipulated, often slow to react and lacks instincts to be really good and consistent at the position…. Until he gets there(or until he’s replaced with someone who can get there) McDs defense will continue to struggle against the better QBs and offenses of the league, IMO. 

So true. A perfect example will be this first game where the Bills should be able to fairly easily pull away but an early in the season fresh Rapelesburger will be able to manipulate Edmunds and the game will come down to the wire.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s just incredibly inconsistent at making an impact…. He’s more so just an athletic gigantic MLB who is easily manipulated, often slow to react and lacks instincts to be really good and consistent at the position…. Until he gets there(or until he’s replaced with someone who can get there) McDs defense will continue to struggle against the better QBs and offenses of the league, IMO. …. Doesn’t mean they can’t win a SB. Josh Allen is that ***** good where he can carry the team to victory like he did most of last year.

Not for nothing but all defenses struggle against the better QBs and offenses of the league. 

16 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

You are the smart a$$ of smart a$$es on this board ( you already know this lol) however …touché it looks like the bears switched to a 4-2-5 last season, so congrats on R Smith to T Edmunds being an apples to apples comparison. Point taken. Still, you’re going back and forth with somebody who agrees with you that Edmunds needs to make more impact plays. Look back to why I said your point was valid in the first place. And why so many other gripes about Edmunds are invalid.

My point is that it's not the system that prevents Edmunds from making plays.

He isn't an instinctive player so he doesn't get himself in position to make as many as he should.................but he gets balls thrown to him, tipped to him,  fumbled at his feet.........he just doesn't make the plays when they present themselves.     I went to the first open practice and watched him drop a gift wrapped interception in the 11-on-11's.   It's his MO.    

The MLB has a lot of opportunity to make plays in this system.    He was hurt early last year........but also 3 years in the book was out on him in coverage and teams attacked him scorching him for 4 TD's.   He can be manipulated and if you throw at him the worst that's likely to happen is the ball ends up on the ground.   If you don't make plays teams will challenge you.    

• Like (+1) 2