Pats trade Sony Michel to Rams

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Kudos for them to getting something for him but another "failed" 1st Round pick of the Patriots. 

He won a SB with the pats against the rams, during that playoff run he average over 100 yards in 3 playoff games and nearly had a 1000 yards that season? How is that failing plus they were able to get value for him. They traded him because they are loaded at that position again i ask how did they fail in drafting him?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

He won a SB with the pats against the rams, during that playoff run he average over 100 yards in 3 playoff games and nearly had a 1000 yards that season? How is that failing plus they were able to get value for him. They traded him because they are loaded at that position again i ask how did they fail in drafting him?

They won thanks to Tom Brady. End of story. Like Ben Volin tweeted, the Patriots haven't given a second contract to a first round pick since Donta Hightower in 2012. You have to try to whiff that badly

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1

I am not sure he was making the team but the Rams are desperate. 

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are you telling me Bill Belichick turned a player selected in the 1st round into 2 conditional late round picks? The man is a genius!

Yes, but Bill Belichick manages to shoot mostly crap.

In the last 5 or 6 years yes, but it hasn't always been thus. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure he was making the team but the Rams are desperate. 

In the last 5 or 6 years yes, but it hasn't always been thus. 

Name their last good draft. I think the Super Bowl wins distracted everyone from how bad they drafted.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

Yes, the Patriots failed at yet another first round pick, but aren't the Rams a greater failure for sending draft capital for a guy that probably gets cut in a week?

I imagine Michel will stick as a role player for the Rams.  They are thin at the position after all.  Still, it's a difficult move for the Rams expending draft capital for an end of his career player.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They won thanks to Tom Brady. End of story. Like Ben Volin tweeted, the Patriots haven't given a second contract to a first round pick since Donta Hightower in 2012. You have to try to whiff that badly

They have only made 2 first round picks in that time that have come up to contract renewal. If you include Michel because obviously he won't get one now then it is 3 players captured by that stat. Dominique Easly and Malcolm Brown (one a total bust, one a role player) were the others. 

I think Isaiah Wynn, their other 1st round pick in 2018, will get an extension. 

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Name their last good draft. I think the Super Bowl wins distracted everyone from how bad they drafted.

Good draft? Trey Flowers was pretty good for them and Shaq Mason has been excellent for them - they were both 2015. Joe Thuney and Elandon Roberts and Ted Karras in 2016 was a good draft too. They haven't had knock it out the park drafts for 10 years or so but all their early 2010s draft produced guys who were average to good starters on Superbowl teams. The likes of Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon and James White and Jamie Collins and Logan Ryan in addition to those I mentioned above. They all came between 2011 and 2016. That is a pretty solid return over a 5 year period. 

EDIT: and I should add Malcolm Butler and David Andrews as UDFAs in that time as well. Maybe two of the top 5 UDFAs in the league in the past decade 

21 minutes ago, nucci said:

not sure about desperate....need depth after losing Ackers

Who was going to start? Henderson? He is a #2 back. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They won thanks to Tom Brady. End of story. Like Ben Volin tweeted, the Patriots haven't given a second contract to a first round pick since Donta Hightower in 2012. You have to try to whiff that badly

He didn't record a touchdown in that SB. He didn't do anything in that SB, what are you talking about? And yes some of their drafts have been bad, but not drafting Sony

Edited by Ghost_002!

Yeah Brady didn't do much that SB.  It was defense that won that game and Warner getting injured.  Also cheating.  And conveniently ignoring the blow to the head on Warner on his pick-six.

Edited by Doc

41 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are you telling me Bill Belichick turned a player selected in the 1st round into 2 conditional late round picks? The man is a genius!

Yes, but Bill Belichick manages to shoot mostly crap.

He’s - ahem - not elite at drafting offensive skills positions. Aside from the overall philosophy of RBs in the first round. He took Michel ahead of Chubb. If he just had to take a RB early in the draft, he evaluated poorly. Then you have nkeal Harry, another 1st round miss when the following WRs were selected  after - Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, Dk metcalf, terry Mclaurin, Diontae Johnson, Mecole hardman. Those are just the most recent examples 

56 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

I agree, the narrative you see so often is you don't pay decent running backs, you just draft another one. And there is some truth to that. It is unusual to be as highly drafted as the was but I get it, getting picks back is honestly just icing on several years of good cake.

Edited by Coastie
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah Brady didn't do much that SB.  It was defense that won that game and Warner getting injured.  Also cheating.  And conveniently ignoring the blow to the head on Warner on his pick-six.

I think he meant the Brady v Goff Superbowl. Which was also won mainly by the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I know everyone wants to bag on the Patriots but this is yet another example of how much a crap shoot the draft actually is. I’d have certainly thought this kid would work out but you never know. There’s an awful that happens to these kids as they grow into men playing professionally in a new environment . 

It may not be the picking which is the issue.  It may be Billicheat is not good at developing players as he is figuring out how to cheat.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again everyone wants to pile on the Patriots but the goal is to win the super bowl, and that they did with Brady at the helm. Nobody ever said they were good at everything…including the Draft. 

Not everybody in here is piling on the Patriots but Belichick is certainly not infallible. He has his balls washed so much, he should be a permanent fixture at a tee box on a golf course somewhere.