Afghanistan

50 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You'd think so.  But I still have faith the Republicans will manage to screw it up anyway.  Even if the worst possible scenario plays out in the next couple week.  Other than becoming fiscally responsible when they lose the majority and opposing lots of social issues pushed by the left what is their platform?  What vision are they going to lay out?   I've heard rumblings about running on the "law and order issue" and now using this Afghanistan disaster but then what?

Yep! They will screw it up. They do it every time. It takes tremendous restraint to be a Republican elected official. Most people who run for office want to fix everything, but they should listen to my deceased mother’s instructions when me and my brothers would accompany her into the fancy china and stemware section of a department store: “Keep your hands in your pockets and don’t touch anything!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ALF said:

If Biden set the Aug 31 deadline he boxed himself into a corner. He should have said until every American and Afghan allies are safely evacuated. The Taliban would likely not impede their departure.

Afghanistan won’t be on anyone’s mind on Election Day. That’s why he did it. No one genuinely cares now.

Healthcare 

Covid

Voting rights

w/ a little college loan forgiveness sprinkled on top. 

Edited by Governor
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Governor said:

Afghanistan won’t be on anyone’s mind on Election Day. That’s why he did it. No one genuinely cares now.

Healthcare 

Covid

Voting rights

Boy, that Biden is pretty slick. Perfectly timing his historic screw up for minimum political impact.  Thank God my memory doesn’t go back more than Five Days.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Governor said:

Healthcare 

Covid

Voting rights

Don't forget Biden’s $3.5 billion spending bill.

Oh, wait…maybe not. 

https://apple.news/A4Bhgd-Z0Qf-kvROx_TJzXQ

See, it’s more likely that Biden is going to be less successful after mishandling Afghanistan and blatantly lying about conditions there. He shot most of his credibility. Good luck getting it back.

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You'd think so.  But I still have faith the Republicans will manage to screw it up anyway.  Even if the worst possible scenario plays out in the next couple week.  Other than becoming fiscally responsible when they lose the majority and opposing lots of social issues pushed by the left what is their platform?  What vision are they going to lay out?   I've heard rumblings about running on the "law and order issue" and now using this Afghanistan disaster but then what?

It isn’t so much that Dems are running on those issues. They’re just trying to take them off the table so they can’t be weaponized by the GOP. 

I’m talking about law and order and immigration.

So far that’s working. A huge chunk of Republican voters are shifting away from Trump’s position on immigration, which I thought was interesting.

11 minutes ago, snafu said:

Don't forget Biden’s $3.5 billion spending bill.

Oh, wait…maybe not. 

https://apple.news/A4Bhgd-Z0Qf-kvROx_TJzXQ

See, it’s more likely that Biden is going to be less successful after mishandling Afghanistan and blatantly lying about conditions there. He shot most of his credibility. Good luck getting it back.

Nancy wouldn’t schedule a vote if she didn’t already know it will pass.

Edited by Governor

2 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Why does it seem that both parties biggest selling point is " we might be horrible and incompetent but they are even worse". 

39 minutes ago, Governor said:

Healthcare 

Covid

Voting rights

You might be right but it also may be a little too early to conclude that with any level of certainty.

Let's say thousands of American citizens and Afghani partners were killed or injured in the coming days I expect nobody is going to forget Afghanistan.  So right now the objective of the administration is pure damage control. 

Or or the weapons they left behind find their way to Iran and some of our gear gets "reverse engineered" by the Iranians.  Like figuring out how drone technology ticks and establishing protocols to neutralize them.

Or if ISIS launches terrorist attacks within the US and intelligence concludes they've used free ability to operate inside Afghanistan to plan and prepare these attacks.  I don't think anyone is going to forget that either. 

Or if we find dozens of active terrorist cells have infiltrated the border as a result of a failure of the administration to operate within the parameters of existing immigration and US customs polices nobody is going to forget that either.

Through careless and blatant arrogance and hubris along with a disregard for common sense the administration has really left their asses exposed to all kinds of trouble.  Will they be able to dodge it all?  We'll find out.  We also need to ask what else are they going to F. Up leading up to next November?  

Also, out of scope for this tread is my expectation of a significant stock market crash followed by a severe downturn in the general economy.  My perspective is that its unavoidable.  Add in COVID impacts to the economy and it might be a very, very bad time ahead.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

47 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

You might be right but it also may be a little too early to conclude that with any level of certainty.

Let's say thousands of American citizens and Afghani partners were killed or injured in the coming days I expect nobody is going to forget Afghanistan.  So right now the objective of the administration is pure damage control. 

Or or the weapons they left behind find their way to Iran and some of our gear gets "reverse engineered" by the Iranians.  Like figuring out how drone technology ticks and establishing protocols to neutralize them.

Or if ISIS launches terrorist attacks within the US and intelligence concludes they've used free ability to operate inside Afghanistan to plan and prepare these attacks.  I don't think anyone is going to forget that either. 

Or if we find dozens of active terrorist cells have infiltrated the border as a result of a failure of the administration to operate within the parameters of existing immigration and US customs polices nobody is going to forget that either.

Through careless and blatant arrogance and hubris along with a disregard for common sense the administration has really left their asses exposed to all kinds of trouble.  Will they be able to dodge it all?  We'll find out.  We also need to ask what else are they going to F. Up leading up to next November?  

Also, out of scope for this tread is my expectation of a significant stock market crash followed by a severe downturn in the general economy.  My perspective is that its unavoidable.  Add in COVID impacts to the economy and it might be a very, very bad time ahead.

Plot twist:

American soldiers are fired upon and Biden bombs the Taliban and ISIS.

oldmanfan starts doing cartwheels and Biden’s approval shoots up to 70 percent.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Governor said:

Healthcare 

Covid

Voting rights

What, you think that Afghanistan will cease to exist as a country/issue after August 31st?  

As for the rest, he's failing there as well.  And no one's buying the college loan forgiveness lie this time around.

Nancy wouldn’t schedule a vote if she didn’t already know it will pass.

She had a vote scheduled.  Then she had to postpone it.

If Biden had any clout left, he'd be able to wrangle the Centrists in Congress to vote to pass HIS budget.  Your initial wrongheaded, apologist point was that Biden can shake off this Afghan debacle and pivot to passing other important legislation.  

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

What, you think that Afghanistan will cease to exist as a country/issue after August 31st?  

As for the rest, he's failing there as well.  And no one's buying the college loan forgiveness lie this time around.

He’s already been doing loan forgiveness piecemeal. By the time we get close to the midterms, it will be more than halfway done already. 

5 minutes ago, snafu said:

She had a vote scheduled.  Then she had to postpone it.

If Biden had any clout left, he'd be able to wrangle the Centrists in Congress to vote to pass HIS budget.  Your initial wrongheaded, apologist point was that Biden can shake off this Afghan debacle and pivot to passing other important legislation.  

Looks like they already have a deal. Sept. 27.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/08/24/afghanistan_is_already_fading_on_television_news.html

Edited by Governor

8 minutes ago, Governor said:

He’s already been doing loan forgiveness piecemeal. By the time we get close to the midterms, it will be more than halfway done already. 

Looks like they already have a deal. Sept. 27.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2021/08/24/afghanistan_is_already_fading_on_television_news.html

Why is student loan forgiveness a good thing?  

• Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

Fading on TV news "Coverage" is the correct way to state it.

Media choosing to talk about it less doesn't make it any less important............or indicative of Biden/Harris weakness.

Now what, Joe Biden? Taliban says ‘no extensions’ to August 31 withdrawal deadline and won’t let Afghans leave the country

taliban_AP-620x326.jpg

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/08/24/now-what-joe-biden-taliban-says-no-extensions-to-august-31-withdrawal-deadline-and-wont-let-afghans-leave-the-country/

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So you think it’s a good idea?  Bad idea?  Give us some scenarios of each. 

I go back and forth with it. I think there’s a $ sweet spot there but I don’t know where it is.

Bottom line, no one is paying it back, so we’ll have to clear the books at some point and it should be framed as “boosting the economy.”

I don’t like legislation that targets specific groups and leaves others out, like the child tax credit.

If they do it, do it across the board and just set the amount somewhere fair.

Edited by Governor

Just now, ALF said:

My sons would be real happy with 0% interest

That's the deal, they give terrible interest rates and yet you can't erase this debt using bankruptcy. 

0 - 2% would be just fine, and if you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to Columbia for a worthless degree, that's on you.

53 minutes ago, Governor said:

Plot twist:

American soldiers are fired upon and Biden bombs the Taliban and ISIS.

oldmanfan starts doing cartwheels and Biden’s approval shoots up to 70 percent.

Hey, I wouldn't dismiss that scenario.   How about the administration enlisting the support of a couple hundred thousand members of the greatest threat to democracy?  All those "white supremacist" guys they claim are running around out there.   

Send this "red neck army" over to Afghanistan and offer 100 bucks a head for every Taliban or ISIS thug and dirt bag they take out.  And if they end up getting shot or killed then its just one less "domestic terrorist" to worry about!  Kill two birds with one stone, no pun intended.

Hey maybe even generate some revenue for selling them "Taliban and ISIS hunting licenses".  It would be more sport than shooting unarmed Deer and Rabbits.  This might be a win/win for everybody!  Because what's needed more than anything to address this problem is some creative out of the box thinking.       

• Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Hey, I wouldn't dismiss that scenario.   How about the administration enlisting the support of a couple hundred thousand members of the greatest threat to democracy?  All those "white supremacist" guys they claim are running around out there.   

Send this "red neck army" over to Afghanistan and offer 100 bucks a head for every Taliban or ISIS thug and dirt bag they take out.  And if they end up getting shot or killed then its just one less "domestic terrorist" to worry about!  Kill two birds with one stone, no pun intended.

Hey maybe even generate some revenue for selling them "Taliban and ISIS hunting licenses".  It would be more sport than shooting unarmed Deer and Rabbits.  This might be a win/win for everybody!  Because what's needed more than anything to address this problem is some creative out of the box thinking.       

Never underestimate how much Americans like blowing stuff up. oldmanfan quickly reminded me of that.

Edited by Governor

If Biden didn't vomit on himself regarding Afghanistan, then Biden's budget would have been passed today.  Instead, some shaky D's on the Hill saw his blunder as an opportunity to flex their voices.  They called out Pelosi on her choice to push off the infrastructure vote to October, probably knowing that she was going to ***** with the bill between now and then.  That opportunity they wouldn't have happened if Biden's credibility and stature wasn't publicly shot to hell.

This is from a week ago:

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-business-05c4738d9460b8c36a9385bbb42b9c5b

The House plans to vote Monday evening on a procedural measure setting up future debate for the budget resolution, the infrastructure legislation and another Democratic priority restoring federal authority over states’ voting procedures that were curbed by the Supreme Court.

“All three are critical elements of the president’s agenda, and we hope that every Democratic member supports this effort,” said White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates.

Hoyer said he also wants the House to approve the voting rights measure on Tuesday and wrap up business. That proposed schedule could pressure moderates to support the budget, since sticking to their planned opposition could extend the House’s stay in Washington until the standoff is resolved.

Some moderates hope the chaotic U.S. flight from Afghanistan might prompt Biden to seek a quick accomplishment by reversing course and asking the House to quickly send him the infrastructure legislation. The Senate approved the infrastructure measure last week in a bipartisan vote.

“I think more than ever, if the White House would play this smart, they would get a domestic win right now. And that is, bring up the bipartisan infrastructure bill,” Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, one of the nine unhappy moderates, said in an interview.

Rep. Katie Porter, D-Calif., a leader of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, said a majority of its nearly 100 members have said in two surveys that they’d oppose the infrastructure measure if it came before the $3.5 trillion measure has progressed.

What does that article have to do with a budget vote?

Do you have a link to this postponed vote date?

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

If Biden didn't vomit on himself regarding Afghanistan, then Biden's budget would have been passed today.  Instead, some shaky D's on the Hill saw his blunder as an opportunity to flex their voices.  They called out Pelosi on her choice to push off the infrastructure vote to October, probably knowing that she was going to ***** with the bill between now and then.  That opportunity they wouldn't have happened if Biden's credibility and stature wasn't publicly shot to hell.

This is from a week ago:

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-business-05c4738d9460b8c36a9385bbb42b9c5b

The House plans to vote Monday evening on a procedural measure setting up future debate for the budget resolution, the infrastructure legislation and another Democratic priority restoring federal authority over states’ voting procedures that were curbed by the Supreme Court.

“All three are critical elements of the president’s agenda, and we hope that every Democratic member supports this effort,” said White House deputy press secretary Andrew Bates.

Hoyer said he also wants the House to approve the voting rights measure on Tuesday and wrap up business. That proposed schedule could pressure moderates to support the budget, since sticking to their planned opposition could extend the House’s stay in Washington until the standoff is resolved.

Some moderates hope the chaotic U.S. flight from Afghanistan might prompt Biden to seek a quick accomplishment by reversing course and asking the House to quickly send him the infrastructure legislation. The Senate approved the infrastructure measure last week in a bipartisan vote.

“I think more than ever, if the White House would play this smart, they would get a domestic win right now. And that is, bring up the bipartisan infrastructure bill,” Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, one of the nine unhappy moderates, said in an interview.

Rep. Katie Porter, D-Calif., a leader of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, said a majority of its nearly 100 members have said in two surveys that they’d oppose the infrastructure measure if it came before the $3.5 trillion measure has progressed.

What does that article have to do with a budget vote?

Do you have a link to this postponed vote date?

Sept. 27 final vote is what I’m seeing.

That Congressman from NJ is from my hometown district. He’s a doofus. No one seems to know why this group decided to clown themselves on this.

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Aren’t you an American? 😳

Russian.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Governor said:

I go back and forth with it. I think there’s a $ sweet spot there but I don’t know where it is.

Bottom line, no one is paying it back, so we’ll have to clear the books at some point and it should be framed as “boosting the economy.”

I don’t like legislation that targets specific groups and leaves others out, like the child tax credit.

If they do it, do it across the board and just set the amount somewhere fair.

So what's next?  Car loans?  Home loans?  Small business loans?  Why are we even considering allowing people to not keep a contractual promise they made.  Why school loan?  And why not private loans?  Why only public loans.  This is a horrible precedent to set. 

And when you say "Bottom line, no one is paying it back"?  What do you mean by this.  

2 hours ago, ALF said:

My sons would be real happy with 0% interest

What a wonderful way to teach your son how the real world doesn't work.  Bravo! 

Edited by Chef Jim

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So what's next?  Car loans?  Home loans?  Small business loans?  Why are we even considering allowing people to not keep a contractual promise they made.  Why school loan?  And why not private loans?  Why only public loans.  This is a horrible precedent to set. 

And when you say "Bottom line, no one is paying it back"?  What do you mean by this.  

Wouldn't we all. 

We already allow all of those things. It’s called declaring bankruptcy. You can’t do that with student loans.

You walked right into that one Chef. 

Edited by Governor