The Topics We're Talking about Show How Strong the Roster Is

Shaw66

22 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I really appreciated this article from Sal today:

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/capaccio-one-thought-on-every-position

He writes about Knox being improved and Breda looking good in camp thus far. Also touches on the D, both line and backers…well, he touches on every position but those were the ones that intrigued me. 

What he says about Knox:

Tight end:

Dawson Knox has been consistent catching the football, something he hasn’t been his first two years in the league. However, he’s also done it in all parts of the field. He has the ability to be a terrific mismatch if he can continue to catch the ball reliably.

Bills fans have been waiting for that to be the case through his first two years. His raw talent is undeniable.

One major gap in Sal's article is lack of commentary on various ST battles so far. 

KR/PR: It was commented early on that McKenzie looked notably better than Stevenson or Powell - smoother, more fluid and confident.  Would also like more input on how McKenzie is looking at WR.

Gunner: I read that Brieda was taking some ST snaps at Gunner.  That would be interesting, because if Brieda can lock down gunner as well as RB#3, that could arguably open up a roster spot for another position OR an opportunity for a different RB#4

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

If you have the QB then you can win.  Allen's development covers up some holes. This is not a critique of Beane or McD and please don't take it negatively. Every team has question marks somewhere and the Bills do as well. 

The Bills interior o-line is at best a work in progress and is one concussion away from a disaster. Edmunds could be a top 5 LB or out of a job by season end.  As you said TE is a concern though I am still a big fan of Knox. CB#2 is a nice position battle. There is no star at RB but there should be enough talent at RB to have a bit more balance this year.. Kicker looks good but still only a year sample size. 

So I agree with the OP. The roster us solid which makes for some nice threads for some of the roster spots.

Only reason Edmunds will be out of job will be salary demand and if not with Bills he will be on another team at another price.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What he says about Knox:

One major gap in Sal's article is lack of commentary on various ST battles so far. 

KR/PR: It was commented early on that McKenzie looked notably better than Stevenson or Powell - smoother, more fluid and confident.  Would also like more input on how McKenzie is looking at WR.

Gunner: I read that Brieda was taking some ST snaps at Gunner.  That would be interesting, because if Brieda can lock down gunner as well as RB#3, that could arguably open up a roster spot for another position OR an opportunity for a different RB#4

I really would like someone else to be able to play gunner for while Jones has been healthy Bills will not be able to afford him once Allen gets new contract.

Bills already paid him $300K and contract guarantees him $700K.  Bills would save $1M and change if they could find someone acceptable not counting cost of replacement.

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/capaccio-one-thought-on-every-position

He writes about Knox being improved and Breda looking good in camp thus far. Also touches on the D, both line and backers…well, he touches on every position but those were the ones that intrigued me. 

I think Sal missed on one position.

Safety:

We know it’s all about Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer, but through four practices, the next safety spot behind them seems just as up for grabs as it was before the team even hit the field for the first time.

Jaquan Johnson, Josh Thomas, Damar Hamlin, and Tariq Thompson are all in the mix, and this could come down to the final week of camp.

Siran Neal is not just a special teams player.  He will replace Dean Marlowe as 3rd safety while continue playing special teams.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

That's an optimistic outlook.  No problems anywhere.  That's what he's seeing.  

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I largely agree, but would counter with the “high end talent” vs “deep roster” argument.  

To me, that is the only real debate.  Do we have enough difference makers to beat the Chiefs?    

Certainly there’s a bunch of guys who could join the ranks of Allen, Diggs and White on this team. 

We won’t know that until the season starts to play out though. 

Yes, there certainly is. Slot WR is an easier position than flanker but we have one of the best in Beasley. Sanders is a pretty damn good #2 or at least was one last season. Who knows when his body will give out? Dion Dawkins, I think, is already on the list with those 3 if not, just by a notch. Williams was extremely impressive as a pass blocker. Can he improve as a run blocker? He's young enough and is only hitting year two in our offense. Morse is under appreciated on our team but not a true blue-chipper. Can Singletary take a step-up and be a reasonable semi-copy of Thurman Thomas? I think he can be close if he has some success to build on. If the run blocking is better and more aligned with his game. Bring a TT copy would be pretty good for a third rounder. I definitely think he can catch better, he's a good blocker already, he is very similar to Thurman in making many miss in a phone booth. He's great at turning four into twelve or more. His problem is getting three when there is only one.

On defense we have a lot of picks too though they are a bit more of complete guesses. Tremaine is first and foremost and a light could turn on for him. Maybe the front four do more damage opening big play possibilities for him? Then there's Ed. Are we holding him back? I know he doesn't try to shoot gaps fast often if ever. What's up with that? Leslie thinks he can make more plays in his defense; let's see it. Then after that is a big drop-off to maybe AJ? Poyer and Hyde are what they are; a solid pair of safeties. Anyway, AJ is entering year two so he has a shot. Next I have Groot (more talent) over Boogie (more experience).  Groot has a good name, a good look and moves incredible athletically for a huge man.  I didn't look up any film on Boogie and his peculiar hgt. wgt. for an end or tackle. A true tweener, I wish him the best and I get some hope for him in that he already has a lot of fans. Maybe they're right? Anyhoo, we really, really, really need these guys to come thru for us to have a decent shot at dethroning the AFC Champs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I largely agree, but would counter with the “high end talent” vs “deep roster” argument.  

To me, that is the only real debate.  Do we have enough difference makers to beat the Chiefs?    

Certainly there’s a bunch of guys who could join the ranks of Allen, Diggs and White on this team. 

This is a really good point.  

I say all the time that McDermott believes he can do it with coaching and organization, and so he doesn't need more high end talent.  I don't know if he's right, but he thinks coaching and teamwork and intense commitment to improvement and to team will win the day.

We'll see.  If McDermott is right, some guys will emerge as bigger factors that we expect today.   Epenesa, one the rookie DEs, Breida, Sanders, Ford, or someone else on the Oline.  

But he may be wrong - he may just need a little more standout talent.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is a really good point.  

I say all the time that McDermott believes he can do it with coaching and organization, and so he doesn't need more high end talent.  I don't know if he's right, but he thinks coaching and teamwork and intense commitment to improvement and to team will win the day.

We'll see.  If McDermott is right, some guys will emerge as bigger factors that we expect today.   Epenesa, one the rookie DEs, Breida, Sanders, Ford, or someone else on the Oline.  

But he may be wrong - he may just need a little more standout talent.  

I think Knox, Edmunds and Oliver are the guys with the right mix of talent and experience to make a huge jump into star this year.   Other guys, of course could do that as well…but those three all feel primed for a make or break year. 

6 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Yes, there certainly is. Slot WR is an easier position than flanker but we have one of the best in Beasley. Sanders is a pretty damn good #2 or at least was one last season. Who knows when his body will give out? Dion Dawkins, I think, is already on the list with those 3 if not, just by a notch. Williams was extremely impressive as a pass blocker. Can he improve as a run blocker? He's young enough and is only hitting year two in our offense. Morse is under appreciated on our team but not a true blue-chipper. Can Singletary take a step-up and be a reasonable semi-copy of Thurman Thomas? I think he can be close if he has some success to build on. If the run blocking is better and more aligned with his game. Bring a TT copy would be pretty good for a third rounder. I definitely think he can catch better, he's a good blocker already, he is very similar to Thurman in making many miss in a phone booth. He's great at turning four into twelve or more. His problem is getting three when there is only one.

On defense we have a lot of picks too though they are a bit more of complete guesses. Tremaine is first and foremost and a light could turn on for him. Maybe the front four do more damage opening big play possibilities for him? Then there's Ed. Are we holding him back? I know he doesn't try to shoot gaps fast often if ever. What's up with that? Leslie thinks he can make more plays in his defense; let's see it. Then after that is a big drop-off to maybe AJ? Poyer and Hyde are what they are; a solid pair of safeties. Anyway, AJ is entering year two so he has a shot. Next I have Groot (more talent) over Boogie (more experience).  Groot has a good name, a good look and moves incredible athletically for a huge man.  I didn't look up any film on Boogie and his peculiar hgt. wgt. for an end or tackle. A true tweener, I wish him the best and I get some hope for him in that he already has a lot of fans. Maybe they're right? Anyhoo, we really, really, really need these guys to come thru for us to have a decent shot at dethroning the AFC Champs.

Billy paragraphs are you’re friend.  I started reading and developed a headache buddy.

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Wow.  May as well buy those Super Bowl tickets today.  Everyone else is playing for second place.  

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

For sure. Depth of roster the Bills are top 3 in the NFL. They are among the teams with fewest glaring weaknesses. To surpass (maybe even to repeat?) last season I think the Bills need a 4th true elite player to emerge to join the three you mention. Dawkins and Poyer are the 4th and 5th best players on the team in my view, but I think both of those are guys playing close to their existing ceiling. The likely candidates to make that jump into elite company are much more Edmunds, Oliver, maybe a Gabe Davis or as a long shot maybe Cody Ford suddenly pops at guard. 

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's an optimistic outlook.  No problems anywhere.  That's what he's seeing.  

I don’t believe he’s saying there aren’t problems anywhere, but he is seeing good things. I found the article to be in line with your OP (which I appreciated). 

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What he says about Knox:

I suspect it’s somewhat challenging to really gauge Teams until the pads are on and they’re at full speed. Just a guess. 

I have seen an  article on McKenzie stating that his route running has become exceptional. 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What he says about Knox:

Completely agree on gunner and even if it doesn't necessarily free up a roster spot (depending what they do with it) it could help them with the gameday 47. The last two years their RB3 was not dressed more often than not because their RB4 was the special teams player. That said I suspect Brieda still has to beat Jones out. Brandon Beane has been clear how highly the Bills rate Jones I don't think they'd bin him just because Brieda offers more as a back while being able to play gunner. He'd have to be at least pretty close to Jones performance level at gunner for them to move on I suspect. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I don’t believe he’s saying there aren’t problems anywhere, but he is seeing good things. I found the article to be in line with your OP (which I appreciated). 

I agree.  My post was optimistic, too.  I look around the lineup and dont see problems.  

Is it perfect? No.  But we're seeing McDermott do exactly what he said he would do.  Quality players and position competition. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Has anyone else noticed how little Bills football actually is being discussed on this forum, several days into the opening of training camp?

Look at the topics: financing the stadium, Stidham injury, charges dropped against Kraft, the Patriots QB's, Sunday ticket.   Even the threads actually about players and the team are about roster bubble players, like Kumerow.   There's a little free agent or trade talk - Ertz has been hammered to death, and there was something about Corey Peters.  Why is no one talking about the team, the heart of the team, the challenges the team faces?

Why is no one talking about it?   Because there's nothing much to say.   The starters are solid (TE is really the only position where it's possible the Bills won't be solid).  If the Bills have one or two or three young guys unexpectedly pop into the starting lineup, it will mean that a good player got beaten out by a better one.   No one is even talking about the perennially favorite topic - what backup QB can the Bills pick up when final cuts happen?  Got that covered.  Kicker?  Covered.  

The only question is whether they, 65 or so players and the coaches, collectively, can make themselves as good as they know they can be.  

Bills fans haven't been so calm for training camp since the Super Bowl years.  It's a strange feeling. 

Nah, there’s still plenty of football to be talked about. And people keep assuming Defensive End is set just because we addressed it in the draft. Sometimes that position takes years to develop and Hughes is going to hit a wall at some point. Will Allen follow up an MVP-type year? Will the line improve in run blocking? Can we beat KC? Will Edmunds & Oliver take that next Allen type step? Etc, etc etc.

I wish we had more board members that knew their X’s and O’s so we can dissect this stuff more. A lot of the threads are sensationalist hyperbole.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

16 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Makes me kind of miss the days where we'd be getting fired up because our QB was completing passes OVER THE MIDDLE.  Or the great debates about Da'Rick vs. Hogan.  

Hahahaha. I remember those days well. Just hoping some scrap heap QB would suddenly break out.