What does this even mean (created the most YPA rushing)

@Hapless Bills Fan

Michelle is a huge Moss fan and so was I on twitter with regards to Moss. 

Essentially it represents the oline in that the Bills oline was pretty bad at creating yards. 

Here is a thread I did back in November which looked at all the rookies and how their advanced numbers looked at that time  

For those that don't want to read the entire thread here is the Moss stuff;

Edited by DJB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DJB said:

Essentially it represents the oline in that the Bills oline was pretty bad at creating yards. 

Here is a thread I did back in November which looked at all the rookies and how their advanced numbers looked at that time  

For those that don't want to read the entire thread here is the Moss stuff;

Thanks for sharing that.  Any insight into how "created yards per attempt" is defined and how it is assessed?

10 minutes ago, DJB said:

@Hapless Bills Fan

@Hapless Bills Fan

https://fantasydata.com/draft-advanced-metrics-rb-yards-created

This should explain it better than I can. 

"measures all yards above and beyond what was blocked. Yards created are generated by the running back after the first evaded tackle. The number of fantasy points scored by RBs is highly dependent on the quality of play of the offensive line. Did the RB gain rushing yards before contact because of the OL? Did the RB have to create yards for himself? These are two questions that Yards Created can help answer. A back's vision, agility, play speed, play strength, and toughness will determine their effectiveness at creating yards."

Essentially just another advanced metric when looking at and evaluating RB's. Fun tools. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK Fantasy and Stats Gurus and such.

What does this even mean?

I understand YPA.  I understand yards from scrimmage.  This?

Seems to be from here.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/01/best-and-worst-rbs-at-creating-yards-in-2019-fantasy-football/

Only took a quick look, but it's still pretty opaque.

"Below you’ll find which stats I found particularly relevant to evaluating a player’s yards created profile. More factors can certainly be used, but they are what I felt was most important along with links on where to find them:

Adjusted Line Yards

Second Level Yards

8+ Defenders in the Box

Yards After Contact Per Carry (YCO)

Yards Before Contact adjusted for Team Offensive Line Blocking (Adj. YBC)

Yards After Catch Per Reception (YAC)

Total Touches – smaller sample sizes are less reliable

Yards Per Carry (YPC)

"Now that we have all of this information, it’s time to blend it together. Each category gets weighted against the league average. Each variable is dependent on others, such as how yards before contact depends directly on blocking and how many defenders are in the box. 

We can then calculate what each player was expected to gain versus what they actually gained. This difference you see in the chart is what I am labeling as my “yards created above or below expected per attempt.” In the following chart, each running back with over 80 carries on the year is listed along with how well they performed in 2019:"

"RB Yards Created Above/Below Expected Per Attempt, Adjusted for Offensive Line, Stacked Box%, Yards Before/After Contact, YAC and Avg YPA"

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Seems to be from here.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/01/best-and-worst-rbs-at-creating-yards-in-2019-fantasy-football/

Only took a quick look, but it still pretty opaque.

"Below you’ll find which stats I found particularly relevant to evaluating a player’s yards created profile. More factors can certainly be used, but they are what I felt was most important along with links on where to find them:

Adjusted Line Yards

Second Level Yards

8+ Defenders in the Box

Yards After Contact Per Carry (YCO)

Yards Before Contact adjusted for Team Offensive Line Blocking (Adj. YBC)

Yards After Catch Per Reception (YAC)

Total Touches – smaller sample sizes are less reliable

Yards Per Carry (YPC)

"Now that we have all of this information, it’s time to blend it together. Each category gets weighted against the league average. Each variable is dependent on others, such as how yards before contact depends directly on blocking and how many defenders are in the box. 

We can then calculate what each player was expected to gain versus what they actually gained. This difference you see in the chart is what I am labeling as my “yards created above or below expected per attempt.” In the following chart, each running back with over 80 carries on the year is listed along with how well they performed in 2019:"

"RB Yards Created Above/Below Expected Per Attempt, Adjusted for Offensive Line, Stacked Box%, Yards Before/After Contact, YAC and Avg YPA"

Yikes.  Well That's Real Clear Now (not)

2 hours ago, DJB said:

@Hapless Bills Fan

https://fantasydata.com/draft-advanced-metrics-rb-yards-created

This should explain it better than I can. 

"measures all yards above and beyond what was blocked. Yards created are generated by the running back after the first evaded tackle. The number of fantasy points scored by RBs is highly dependent on the quality of play of the offensive line. Did the RB gain rushing yards before contact because of the OL? Did the RB have to create yards for himself? These are two questions that Yards Created can help answer. A back's vision, agility, play speed, play strength, and toughness will determine their effectiveness at creating yards."

Essentially just another advanced metric when looking at and evaluating RB's. Fun tools. 

It seems like there are two main factors that could effect "yards above and beyond what was blocked." The line's ability to hold their block, and the running backs ability to get through the hole quickly while the block is held. 

A fast rb that gains 7 yards on a run where he was able to get through the line and encounter a tackler at the 5 yard mark seems to have gained 2 yards above expected. 

For the exact same play, with the exact same blocking, a slow back that can't get through the hole quick enough and encounters a tackler that shed the block at the line of scrimmage but gains 3 yards on the play would have gained 3 yards above expected.

Not sure if I'm getting it right, but seems like the expected yards per block is highly variable based on the rb's capabilities.

Edited by Motorin'