Future of NFL broadcast overseas? Experiences with?

Kind of an odd topic here.  I was wondering what people thought the future of NFL broadcast overseas might be.  Especially in South America.  My wife is Peruvian and someday we intend to retire there.  I've been to Peru many times and a few bars in Lima have the "Sunday Ticket" but it is not like ours, it does not give access to every game, rather about half the games each Sunday (but all primetime) and I don't believe it's an option in home.

With the NFL fishing more games in Europe every season (Madrid is rumored to be interested) I wonder how globally accessible their broadcast will be in the future?  Will it always be limited or will I be able to tune in on Sundays like I was back in the US?  It's silly I worry about this, especially when that move is about 20 years away and who knows what tech advances will be in play by then....  Buuut, I'm the type of guy who writes about all things his team on a message board, so yeah.  

I'd be interested in hearing what others thoughts are or what their current history might be with watching the Bills or NFL oversees.  

I Remember being at the corner sports bar in Miraflores Lima in 2011.  Our 5-2 start had slipped away that season.  But at 5-5 we had a chance to surprise the Jets in NY and get to 6-5...hope....But we lost as the Jets scored late and I think Fitz had a pick late.  Some guy in a Jet jersey across the bar whooped it up.  Even though he had watched about 9 minutes of the game.  5-6, likely no playoffs for the 12th straight year.  I just walked and walked and walked that day before finally hailing a cab to go to my in laws place.

Love our Bills!

Edited by Bills fan since 87

I've been using NFL GamePass down there in New Zealand for years now.

Overall it's great, but I have had a few issues with it over the years.

After being all pumped up to watch last years AFC Championship game, I logged on to watch it in the evening (after the game was already played in the US) and was greeting by the final score on the front page.  This after I had already changed the setting to show no scores.  I still haven't watched the game.

That said, I remember when I originally moved away from NY in 1990.  For years I subscribed to "Shout!" magazine while living in Colorado.  It was my only source of Bills news.  How times have changed.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I've been using NFL GamePass down there in New Zealand for years now.

Overall it's great, but I have had a few issues with it over the years.

After being all pumped up to watch last years AFC Championship game, I logged on to watch it in the evening (after the game was already played in the US) and was greeting by the final score on the front page.  This after I had already changed the setting to show no scores.  I still haven't watched the game.

That said, I remember when I originally moved away from NY in 1990.  For years I subscribed to "Shout!" magazine while living in Colorado.  It was my only source of Bills news.  How times have changed.

Ain't that the truth.  And who knows how they will change.  And a total UGH on the AFC championship game pass blunder. That had to suck as much as watching FG attempts twice when you are down 12 😞

Edited by Bills fan since 87

1 hour ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Kind of an odd topic here.  I was wondering what people thought the future of NFL broadcast overseas might be.  Especially in South America.  My wife is Peruvian and someday we intend to retire there.  I've been to Peru many times and a few bars in Lima have the "Sunday Ticket" but it is not like ours, it does not give access to every game, rather about half the games each Sunday (but all primetime) and I don't believe it's an option in home.

With the NFL fishing more games in Europe every season (Madrid is rumored to be interested) I wonder how globally accessible their broadcast will be in the future?  Will it always be limited or will I be able to tune in on Sundays like I was back in the US?  It's silly I worry about this, especially when that move is about 20 years away and who knows what tech advances will be in play by then....  Buuut, I'm the type of guy who writes about all things his team on a message board, so yeah.  

I'd be interested in hearing what others thoughts are or what their current history might be with watching the Bills or NFL oversees.  

I Remember being at the corner sports bar in Miraflores Lima in 2011.  Our 5-2 start had slipped away that season.  But at 5-5 we had a chance to surprise the Jets in NY and get to 6-5...hope....But we lost as the Jets scored late and I think Fitz had a pick late.  Some guy in a Jet jersey across the bar whooped it up.  Even though he had watched about 9 minutes of the game.  5-6, likely no playoffs for the 12th straight year.  I just walked and walked and walked that day before finally hailing a cab to go to my in laws place.

Love our Bills!

I born and live in Argentina.

The change in NFL exposure in the las 20 years is phenomenal.

20 years ago if I want to see tne bills result I need to wake up at 6 am to see sporcentrer US version just to see 3 or 4 plays and the result.

Now you have thursday night game, redzone, sunday night, mnf and sunday ticket (and reddit some people told me....).

If this continue when you retire we are going to have an nfl dedicated channel for sure!

One thing that is true, the most of the people just see soccer, so if you want to see a bills game, you are going to have to see the game at a home (see a nfl game in a bar is difficult, except for some specific bars or when the superbowl is played.

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Gonzonzo said:

I born and live in Argentina.

The change in NFL exposure in the las 20 years is phenomenal.

20 years ago if I want to see tne bills result I need to wake up at 6 am to see sporcentrer US version just to see 3 or 4 plays and the result.

Now you have thursday night game, redzone, sunday night, mnf and sunday ticket (and reddit some people told me....).

If this continue when you retire we are going to have an nfl dedicated channel for sure!

One thing that is true, the most of the people just see soccer, so if you want to see a bills game, you are going to have to see the game at a home (see a nfl game in a bar is difficult, except for some specific bars or when the superbowl is played.

GO BILLS!

Sounds like here in Japan.

They play it a lot in college, and there's even a pro league, but it's a small sport. Just about doesn't exist in high school.

Two or three nights a week, usually Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, around in there .. you can watch a game at midnight with most of the commercials and the halftime eliminated. You take your chances on the teams, though they try to show good games. In Tokyo there are a few bars that will go out of their way to show football but now that I live in a city of less than a million, there's nothing except for the Super Bowl. And that's live, at 8:00 a.m. on Monday  morning. In Tokyo I used to take the day off and go, or cancel morning classes.

Here, I work at a college that has a bunch of foreign students including Americans, so sometimes one of the on-campus cafes will show the Super Bowl live or replay it in the afternoon.

Bottom line, as a community thing, it just isn't enough.

But for myself, NFL Game Pass is terrific. Every game, live or replay it at any time. It's expensive, a bit less than $300 for the season, but worth every penny for me. I even get to see the All-22 after about Wednesday.

Work related, i travelled all over South America from about 2002 until 2010. It was more difficult to get TV access, but still possible at various bars in the large cities I travelled to. There was always a place, and more options with each passing year.

Because of the nature of my job, bars were not a frequent, favorable option.

What I would do is listen to the radio broadcast and watch either CBS or ESPN Gametracker in my hotel room.

From reading threads on our work related message board, which I still do even though retired, the guys who travel there have no problem finding TV coverage except in places like Bolivia.

Speaking of the Miraflores area of Lima.....Great ceviche.

I use NFL Gamepass over here in the UK. There’s differing levels of access which you pay differing amounts for but there’s little point in having anything but the full package.

You can watch any game live (other than what Sky show at 6pm and 9/9:25pm). 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

Work related, i travelled all over South America from about 2002 until 2010. It was more difficult to get TV access, but still possible at various bars in the large cities I travelled to. There was always a place, and more options with each passing year.

Because of the nature of my job, bars were not a frequent, favorable option.

What I would do is listen to the radio broadcast and watch either CBS or ESPN Gametracker in my hotel room.

From reading threads on our work related message board, which I still do even though retired, the guys who travel there have no problem finding TV coverage except in places like Bolivia.

Speaking of the Miraflores area of Lima.....Great ceviche.

The ONLY Ceviche is Peruvian and specifically Lima Ceviche.  That's what my wife would have you believe at least.  Funny you mention that, we have an out of town friend visiting tonight and that is what she is making along with Causa

2 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

The ONLY Ceviche is Peruvian and specifically Lima Ceviche.  That's what my wife would have you believe at least.  Funny you mention that, we have an out of town friend visiting tonight and that is what she is making along with Causa

You are correct that it is very good.

There is one better though.....The ceviche at Los Tajibos in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.

I like it so much that I tried to get the marinade exported to the US for marketing purposes when I retired.

My favorite food. 

Your friend is in for a treat.

If your wife has any ceviche secrets, PM me.

I love the stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

For what it's worth, I have NFL Sunday Ticket, which has online streaming included with the package.  I use it all the time when I travel domestically.  Two years ago, I was traveling in Europe and wanted to stream the games to my tablet.  The Sunday Ticket app sees the foreign IP address and won't allow access.  I had the same problem trying to watch college games on ESPN.  The solution was to purchase a VPN for my device.  It make the web site or app think that you are operating in the city where the VPN comes from, and you can set it to various U.S. cities.  It worked great for college football.  Unfortunately, the Sunday Ticket app was not fooled by the VPN and I couldn't access the Bills games.  I was pretty frustrated.  I'm sure many of you who are far more technical than I am could explain how this works and why it didn't work, but I figured I would share my experience.  I was only out of the country for a couple of weeks, so puchasing Game Pass was not a viable option when I was already subscribed to Sunday Ticket.

Game Pass works pretty well with a half decent 'net connection. The only caveat will be if games are being shown by a 'local' broadcaster. In the UK, for example, this would be Sky Sports, and last year there were a lot of Bills games broadcast. That means you need a subscription to Sky Sports to watch those games live - which I have anyway for Soccer and Cricket, so that didn't affect me. You will still be able to stream the game(s) after they have finished though, and you can watch them with a variety of options, including just the plays - i.e. the hour of actual play - once they have finished.

17 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sounds like here in Japan.

They play it a lot in college, and there's even a pro league, but it's a small sport. Just about doesn't exist in high school.

Two or three nights a week, usually Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, around in there .. you can watch a game at midnight with most of the commercials and the halftime eliminated. You take your chances on the teams, though they try to show good games. In Tokyo there are a few bars that will go out of their way to show football but now that I live in a city of less than a million, there's nothing except for the Super Bowl. And that's live, at 8:00 a.m. on Monday  morning. In Tokyo I used to take the day off and go, or cancel morning classes.

Here, I work at a college that has a bunch of foreign students including Americans, so sometimes one of the on-campus cafes will show the Super Bowl live or replay it in the afternoon.

Bottom line, as a community thing, it just isn't enough.

But for myself, NFL Game Pass is terrific. Every game, live or replay it at any time. It's expensive, a bit less than $300 for the season, but worth every penny for me. I even get to see the All-22 after about Wednesday.

Yea my gamepass is about £150 a year (not sure what that is in dollars but I guess different conversion rates between currencies plays a part) and it is the best £150 I spend each year. They had a tough season back in 2017 when they moved it to a new platform and there were outages during a few games (I remember missing a fair chunk of the Cincy game) but that season apart it is really good quality and value and as you say you get every game in full, condensed and highlights and then the all 22 by midweek.