RUMOR: Patriots working on a contract for Jimmy G. for a deal with 49ers

CNY315

12 hours ago, CNY315 said:

Heard they tried to get Tommy Brady back, but are going to go back to Jimmy G.

Billy B doesn't know how to win without Brady/Jimmy, so he's dredging up the past.

Wonder if his dog is going to draft for him again this year too...

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fields is the most talented QB to ever play at Ohio state and the only one to ever play in the current offensive system (for a HC who was a former NFL QB coach). What does he have in common with the rest? Helmet scouting is fruitless.

Now you've done it. You've gone and made him cry.

tenor.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

You guys realize if Shanahan wasn't being Shanahan Jimmy G would have a Super Bowl ring. Deservedly so by the way. 

True. Well, probably true. Plus this: Jimmy G arrived in SF in 2017. Since that time -

- Record with Jimmy starting: 22-8

- Record with other guys starting: 7-27

He's the example of "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." He's a good QB. I'm not scared of him, but I don't want him anywhere near the AFC East.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Only to be followed by conflicting reports of that exact thing...

That the discussions may or may not result in a contract and trade being agreed to is a totally different element and would not prove discussions were or were not happening. 

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So we’ve established that he doesn’t have anything in common with them as of now . What elite nfl talent was surrounding fields? They might have a couple interior OL and a RB drafted day 2... last year they had one RB drafted day 2..  I don’t discount any QB including Mac Jones for playing with talent, regardless, and neither does the NFL. They scout them for traits. That’s why burrow went #1 without hesitation. I don’t know which QBs will be successful in the NFL from his draft and I’m not projecting that I do, but these reasons don’t make sense to me at all as to your projections

If that were true, then why is he being talked about as the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft?  At worst we should be talking about how the 49'ers are locked-in on him given Lawrence and Wilson are going 1 and 2.  And we probably should be talking about him going 2nd overall.  Obviously there's something else at play than just scouting him for traits.

I can see it being kind of delicate...

"If we can't get any other option at QB, Jimmy, we're interested in bringing you back. Will you take a pay cut, BTW?" 

Every team always gets the guy they wanted all along, so this would probably have to wait until after the draft to make sense. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

That the discussions may or may not result in a contract and trade being agreed to is a totally different element and would not prove discussions were or were not happening. 

The most likely scenario is that trading for jimmy g is one option on the table for the pats and they are getting contract details in place in case that lever is indeed pulled, which is dependent upon a hefty number of moving parts. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

If that were true, then why is he being talked about as the 4th or 5th QB taken in this draft?  At worst we should be talking about how the 49'ers are locked-in on him given Lawrence and Wilson are going 1 and 2.  And we probably should be talking about him going 2nd overall.  Obviously there's something else at play than just scouting him for traits.

Who is “we”?  There are several analysts that have Fields as their #2-3 QB.  Word has it that the Jets like Wilson the most, so that’s why no one is talking about him “being selected #2”.  But there are still several people that get paid for their football acumen that have Fields as better than Wilson and the majority have him as better than Mac Jones.  Many by a wide margin.   The media has pumped mac to the niners based on shanahans past qbs imo.  Other than that, most view Mac as the 5th best QB in the class

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Who is “we”?  There are several analysts that have Fields as their #2-3 QB.  Word has it that the Jets like Wilson the most, so that’s why no one is talking about him “being selected #2”.  But there are still several people that get paid for their football acumen that have Fields as better than Wilson and the majority have him as better than Mac Jones.  Many by a wide margin.   The media has pumped mac to the niners based on shanahans past qbs imo.  Other than that, most view Mac as the 5th best QB in the class

We is everyone.  Shanahan is an astute offensive mind so you'd think he'd be wanting to go all-in on Fields and thus make talk about the first 3 picks a complete non-mystery. 

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

We don’t know where he will be drafted and many analysts think the Jets, SF, Atlanta ... should take him. If they don’t, that is their decision for their team and he will end up somewhere and will be evaluated from there. Just like Watson, mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Lamar and others who weren’t drafted top 5. We don’t know if he will succeed, no one does. Is there medical/character at play? Maybe, those are things that make guys drop. Are we, the public, aware of all of these things? No. The general public only (now) knows of the epilepsy. But they aren’t looking at any other previous Osu QB’s film but his when evaluating his traits, or faulting him because he played on a team with good players and coaches. Elite HS QBs tend to play for programs who surround them with high level recruits. That’s not going to change, and it’s not a negative unless the qb isn’t accurate on film and the WR are having to make some miracle catches all the time, which wouldn’t be further from the truth in this case. He will succeed or he won’t, but it won’t be due to where he played college ball outside of the benefit of playing for Ryan day. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

We is everyone.  Shanahan is an astute offensive mind so you'd think he'd be wanting to go all-in on Fields and thus make talk about the first 3 picks a complete non-mystery. 

Why? If he wants Lance let him take Lance. He can only take one. Not some indictment on fields. Lance played the most from under center of any of the top QBs by a wide margin, and Shanny runs that the 3rd most in the league. Lance fits their offensive scheme’s ceiling extremely well. Again, you are arguing that Fields won’t be good because osu QBs haven’t been successful in the NFL. Do you think this is the reason that Shanny prefers lance? He sees greatness in the North Dakota state lineage? Or do you not think Fields will be any good because you watched him play and think he will suck in the nfl? If it’s the last part, I can actually respect that because it’s a tangible reason other than “well he had Buckeye leaves on his helmet for 2 years”. I don’t agree BUT I am not someone who projects QBs to the nfl or actually watches film so I don’t care if someone says they don’t think he will be good from watching him play. I watch games and read what the actual analysts say and go from there. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why? If he wants Lance let him take Lance. He can only take one. Not some indictment on fields. Lance played the most from under center of any of the top QBs by a wide margin, and Shanny runs that the 3rd most in the league. Lance fits their offensive scheme’s ceiling extremely well. Again, you are arguing that Fields won’t be good because osu QBs haven’t been successful in the NFL. Do you think this is the reason that Shanny prefers lance? He sees greatness in the North Dakota state lineage? 

Yeah I'm saying it can and probably is playing a factor in Fields not being a slam-dunk for 3rd overall, if not 2nd.  OSU is a premier program while BYU and certainly NDSU are not.  And Lance is a project much like Josh was and Shanahan doesn't have 2+ years to wait.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah I'm saying it can and probably is playing a factor in Fields not being a slam-dunk for 3rd overall, if not 2nd.  OSU is a premier program while BYU and certainly NDSU are not.  And Lance is a project much like Josh was and Shanahan doesn't have 2+ years to wait.

So if he stays at UGA, and has the same career, do you foresee the same fate?

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

So if he stays at UGA, and has the same career, do you foresee the same fate?

No.  I think that what's making guys like Wilson and Lance rise-up is excelling in lesser programs.  Again it's why I'm skeptical of QBs from big-time programs, even though of course someone will eventually succeed from one.

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

No.  I think that what's making guys like Wilson and Lance rise-up is excelling in lesser programs.  Again it's why I'm skeptical of QBs from big-time programs, even though of course someone will eventually succeed from one.

UGA is a “lesser” program? I don’t get that at all... they may not make the playoff consistently but only 4 do and they have Bama in their division!! They recruit at the highest level year in and year out, yes Kirby is a dweeb

Wilson and lance may he playing with 2 and 3 stars vs 4 and 5 stars but they are also performing against the same level  competition.

Edited by YoloinOhio