Democrats to unveil plan to pack SCOTUS because they're losers

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

You meant filling a vacancy.  I'll correct you.  

And Ds would have done the same.

And you spelled Kamala wrong.  

No, karma is a bich or this thread wouldn't exist.

Funny, you don't like the prospects of Dems filling the Court... but you didn't mind it when Georgia created a special election board controlled by appointees of the Republican state legislature to take over bipartisan county election boards with the power to decertify votes and voter eligibility.

Karma is a bich... lmao

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Speaking of precedent, you can also thank Harry Reid for breaking it by ending the filibuster on SCOTUS appointments.  

Because Rs were doing the same thing to lower court appointments that Ds have also done.  

Thank Harry.  

And Dems would have done the same.  

And dam well would have filled RBGs seat.  

So that's the precedent.  Win the Senate.  You control the appointment process.  Ds didn't have it when Obama was POTUS. 

They used their check at political risk.  Great political risk.  

But you didn't go to Wisconsin. 

“Speaking of precedent, you can also thank Harry Reid for breaking it by ending the filibuster on SCOTUS appointments.“ - that’s a lie. McConnel ended SCOTUS filibuster.

Dems won the Senate they control the appointment process now let them appoint how they want to.

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I still think they are merely signaling to libs "hey we're trying." 

Remember before the election Biden was totally clear with the public:

Find me ONE Trump commitment he didn't stick to or give his position on.  Give me ONE where he flipped on something significant.  Biden has 10 in the first 2 months.  

You can't.  You always knew where the serial liar (per the 80,000 *fact checked* lies) stood on the issue.  

I don't care what he said to the belligerent press.   You KNEW what he was going to do and where he stood.  

there were a ton. His healthcare promises for one didn’t match up with the legislation he backed. He flip flopped on ways to citizenship for immigrants a ton. Intervention in Syria. Mexico paying for the wall.

Trump in Golf: "I love golf, but if I were in the White House? I don't think I'd ever see Turnberry again, I don't think I'd ever see Doral again," he said in New Hampshire ahead of their primary. "I'd just want to stay in the White House and work my ass off and make great deals."

I doubt this goes through, but both sides are guilty of playing politics with the court.  Ted Kennedy started the entire issue with confirmation hearings with Bork, and they've gotten to the point of being ridiculous at this point.  McConnell invented his nonsense with the Garland confirmation and lack thereof.  The politicians have turned the third branch of government, the branch that theoretically should be free from political crap, into just that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I doubt this goes through, but both sides are guilty of playing politics with the court.  Ted Kennedy started the entire issue with confirmation hearings with Bork, and they've gotten to the point of being ridiculous at this point.  McConnell invented his nonsense with the Garland confirmation and lack thereof.  The politicians have turned the third branch of government, the branch that theoretically should be free from political crap, into just that. 

And Americans support it.  

The architect of the attempted assassination of Brett Kavanaugh was rewarded with the Vice Presidency.   Chances are quite high she’ll finish out Biden’s term as his deterioration accelerates, and while it’s hard to know where Biden stands on any given day on anything, we know where she stands.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/09/us/politics/how-does-court-packing-work.html

This should surprise no one, and what follows will be ugly indeed. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Sure! I’ll play!

Republicans are idiots. Look at former speaker Boehner call them out the past week on how dumb they were. It’s why I wasn’t too worried about a Trump presidency, they tossed dumbasses in positions of power and nothing got done.

Why is it necessary? McConnell changed the the rules after Garland. He showed at the end of the Trump era he will change them again. So F’it. If one party won’t play by historical precedent then don’t follow it anymore.

If Republicans want to change it they can do better and win elections.

To hit your last one, name one liberal Supreme Court decision you disagree with

Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission

10 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

Shouldn’t you change the topic title to because they’re winners? They won the House, Senate and White House. As @SoCal Deekloves to say, elections have consequences.

So yea: 

Democrats to unveil plan to pack SCOTUS because they're winners

seems to be more appropriate 

Nice! Thanks for the mention! However, I really can’t take the credit. I’m only quoting The Oracle: Obama.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

“Speaking of precedent, you can also thank Harry Reid for breaking it by ending the filibuster on SCOTUS appointments.“ - that’s a lie. McConnel ended SCOTUS filibuster.

Dems won the Senate they control the appointment process now let them appoint how they want to.

My mistake Harry I did mean ended the filibuster on lower court appointments because he's an idiot.  

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

2010 was a 5-4 conservative majority and Citizen United wasn’t the liberal judges taking over and controlling. I think Alito wrote the opinion.

Hey, I didn't have my morning coffee yet and I'll admit it when I got my facts mixed up!  But I hate the ruling regardless.

And looks like the proposal here is to add 4 justices.  But as it requires 60 Senate "yes" votes it doesn't appear to have chance of passing.. 

Just now, Big Blitz said:

Yes in response to the SCOTUS ruling that Black people are property.  

The Republicans tried to right this Democrat Party view by every means necessary.  

There has been zero grounds for even considering this since.   

Just that Democrats want power.  

Heck ya, can't let that radical rabble of a Republican mob rule take power back. 

39 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Hey, I didn't have my morning coffee yet and I'll admit it when I got my facts mixed up!  But I hate the ruling regardless.

And looks like the proposal here is to add 4 justices.  But as it requires 60 Senate "yes" votes it doesn't appear to have chance of passing.. 

It has zero chance of passing.  Which makes me wonder what the political play is here?

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

It has zero chance of passing.  Which makes me wonder what the political play is here?

Agreed. Biden is following through on a campaign promise. The Dems know they don't have the votes to expand the court but maybe - just maybe - term limits could be an option?  Probably not as there is a 6-3 conservative majority on the court (even though the GQP won the popular vote for POTUS once in the last eight elections and have represented a majority of Americans in the Senate just once in the last 40 years).

20 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Agreed. Biden is following through on a campaign promise. The Dems know they don't have the votes to expand the court but maybe - just maybe - term limits could be an option?  Probably not as there is a 6-3 conservative majority on the court (even though the GQP won the popular vote for POTUS once in the last eight elections and have represented a majority of Americans in the Senate just once in the last 40 years).

The thing is, it wasn’t a campaign promise. Every time he was asked about it he refused to answer.