Brownies sign Clowney

FireChans

Just now, teef said:

Are you one of those posters who can’t handle the bills’ success?

Love the Bills success. 
Just don’t understand other posters points about the Browns who gave the Chiefs all they could handle.

One can make the argument that at least pre-draft the Bills are no better than the team they had in 2020. They did a great job of bringing people back, but are they a better team? I think they are a little better on the DL, depth on OL seems a bit better, and at WR they may be better at WR#2 (at least less injury prone).

I think most would agree the Browns are a better team on paper than they were in 2020.  They have addressed their biggest weakness in the secondary with one of the best free agent signings this off-season.

Garrett may be the best defender in AFC but in the end Allen is a better QB than Mayfield and that matters most.

5 hours ago, Process said:

Too much money for him but not surprising, you knew some team was going to do it. 

Nice spot for him. Browns defense should be much better than last year. They are going to be a tough team for sure.

Maybe they can take out KC in the playoffs next year so we don’t have to.

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Might be a top 3 roster, but it’s a bottom 3 locker room.

Clowney is SUCH a Browns pick. All the talent in the world but is the opposite of a “process” guy. 

The Bills have players on their roster that will die for each other. The Browns have great individual talent. I will pick the “team” every time over the mercenaries.

People were saying similar things about the Bucs last offseason with all their collection of “individual talent”. 

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

I think you might be missing my point. 
The Browns might be improving on paper, but they’re signing a bunch of guys who have proven character issues.

Tell me if you spot a pattern with their big signings and let me know if that might cause an issue:

- Sheldon Richardson

- Kareem Hunt

- Odell Beckham

- Jadeveon Clowney

- David Njoku 

If they’re really turning things around, why go after Clowney?

Again, the Bucs did the same thing.... worked out pretty well for them. Then again, I think Brady has that effect on a locker room. 

Still, my point is in the end talent trumps everything. 

2 hours ago, thurst44 said:

It's amazing to me how everyone is going so far in either direction about this player. One can argue he's living off the past, but it's way offbase to suggest that he's living off one play. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was the number one recruit in the college coming out of high school. At South Carolina, he had a season with 23.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks. I do also remember there was a prevailing attitude (or unconfirmed rumor) that no one wanted to pick him at number one, but that no one wanted to be the team that DIDN'T pick him at number one. 

My (admittedly amateur) take: he's better than people who think he's trash and worse than people who call him a gamechanger who just doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Clowney's attitude always seems to be talked about in whispers. He never seems like a bad guy, but there does seem to be a rep that he's not 100% head-in-the-game--but is it any more than rumors? The only thing we can truly go on is the fact he's jumped from team-to-team recently. He's a staunch run-stopper when people expect him to someday put up a 15-sack season (instead of the less than 5 he's averaged in a career). 

It's not a bad gamble for the Browns, unless he truly is the locker-room poison some suspect. By that token, it would probably have been a better gamble by the Bills. Maybe he lines up across from Garrett and Browns fans get the terror they're hoping for. Given his history, it's more likely he either helps a solid defense get better or doesn't fit in and is on to the next suitor in 2022. 

As a Bills fan, it doesn't worry me as Browns, for all their talent, still seem like a time bomb until they prove they aren't. Which Mayfield do you have (or was it just a bad line in 2019 and he's on his path to franchise status)? Is Stefanski a stabilizing factor or was the season a fluke? They have a lot of volatile players on there (one of their stars almost killed a man on the field), but the reason I still have to doubt stems from the on-field (well, when playing and not swinging helmets) Browns. Losing to the Jets in a key game (even with the injuries) is not a great look--they were this close to blowing it last year.  Yes, they had those injuries, but Mayfield also fell apart. Bad games happen, and it doesn't prove they are the same ol' Browns. We'll see what they do in 2021. The other reason it doesn't bother me is I love what the Bills are doing so the Browns may get better, but they are still looking up at the Bills. Maybe they beat us. But until they do, I'm content with how McD & Beane are playing their cards.

Agreed. Would’ve liked the Bills to take this gamble... But your right. As long as Allen plays like he did last season and doesn’t regress Bills>Browns.... unless Mayfield takes another step forward then the Browns may be the better team....outside of QB they have a more talented roster, IMO. 

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Love the Bills success. 
Just don’t understand other posters points about the Browns who gave the Chiefs all they could handle.

One can make the argument that at least pre-draft the Bills are no better than the team they had in 2020. They did a great job of bringing people back, but are they a better team? I think they are a little better on the DL, depth on OL seems a bit better, and at WR they may be better at WR#2 (at least less injury prone).

I think most would agree the Browns are a better team on paper than they were in 2020.  They have addressed their biggest weakness in the secondary with one of the best free agent signings this off-season.

Garrett may be the best defender in AFC but in the end Allen is a better QB than Mayfield and that matters most.

This is the difference.... but all it takes is a slight regression from Allen and better play from Mayfield and it will be close.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed. Would’ve liked the Bills to take this gamble... But your right. As long as Allen plays like he did last season and doesn’t regress Bills>Browns.... unless Mayfield takes another step forward then the Browns may be the better team....outside of QB they have a more talented roster, IMO. 

Dude    please don't tell me you think OBJ is better than Diggs.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Dude    please don't tell me you think OBJ is better than Diggs.

I don’t. OBJ is often injuries and hasn’t been the same for a couple years....but if he regains form I’d take their skills group over the Bills collection hands down.... as I said, the difference between the two teams is at QB. If Josh Allen wasn’t so dynamic I’d bet the Browns to be the better team next season. 

Edited by ScottLaw

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t. OBJ is often injuries and hasn’t been the same for a couple years....but if he regains form I’d take their skills group over the Bills collection hands down.... as I said, the difference between the two teams is at QB. If Josh Allen wasn’t so dynamic I’d bet the Browns to be the better team next season. 

OK then.  I give the nod to the overall WR room to the Bills and the RB and TE rooms to the Browns.

Let's remember though the Browns use a lot of treasure on their RBs.

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

OK then.  I give the nod to the overall WR room to the Bills and the RB and TE rooms to the Browns.

Let's remember though the Browns use a lot of treasure on their RBs.

Use a lot of treasure?

57 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

People were saying similar things about the Bucs last offseason with all their collection of “individual talent”. 

No b.c they had Brady and that is all that matters when it comes to leadership. Faker Mayfield is nothing.

Edited by TBBills

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think it’s a great signing for them. Clowney has shown flashes when he’s not the main guy. Having Garrett opposite him will be a big deal. 
I have never liked the guy much, he seems like a minimum effort player to me who only turns it on a couple times a year. But for Cleveland it wasn’t a big risk to pair him with Garrett. For us is a different story, he’d have to be the main guy here, and we can’t afford too many more misses on edge players. All that said I’d be shocked if clowney plays 8-10 games for them. 

Yeah, I will be curious to see how he does with Garrett and co. You're right, it could definitely make a difference with those better impact players around him. Seattle's D was just terrible from top to bottom, with the Texans he had a little better surrounding cast, but not as good as the Browns have. 

So that's a good point and will be keeping an eye on that.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why all these anti-Browns comments. They beat the Steelers on the road in a lopsided game when the Bills beat them at home in a fairly close game. Which team played the Chiefs better?  

True but it's safe to say Steelers were not a good team last quarter of the season. Not sure what happened but was night and day difference from 1st like 12 games compared to the last few.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Browns will finally rise above the Steelers in the division this year.

Not that big of a thing because the Bengals will pass the Steelers in 2022.

Maybe, but Ravens will be in that mix by all means also. Can't count them out of it for sure.

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Clowney had zero sacks last year.

He has 12 sacks in the last three years COMBINED.

He has played a full 16-game season just ONCE in his seven year career.

I have never seen such an overhyped player in my life. He's still making a living off of one amazing college play and a really cool name.

This was a very.....Logic-al response.