Bills keen on Alabama RB Najee Harris, per NBC Sports and Tony Pauline

Logic

Just now, Figster said:

Harris probably won't make it past the Dolphins and Steelers. As much as I want to see Harris in a Bills uni, I don't want to see Najee Harris in a Dophins uni. If Miami pulls off both Pitts and Harris it spells double the trouble for Buffalo IMO.

Yeah, if we want Harris, we have to trade in front of the Steelers. All signs point to them fixing their running game ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Governor said:

Yeah, if we want Harris, we have to trade in front of the Steelers. All signs point to them fixing their running game ASAP. 

It would also be wise to trade below 18th If possible and not pull the trigger on the trade until the last miniute IMO.

Harris may go lower then Beane wants to go...

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Figster said:

It would also be wise to trade below 18th If possible and not pull the trigger on the trade until the last miniute IMO.

Oh, so the Steelers are 24. This is starting to make a little sense now. So if we actually like Harris, I would probably try to trade up right in front of the Jets at 22 if he is still on the board at 20. We probably don’t have the ammo to get in front of Miami.

Edited by The Governor

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Trade up for Harris!?!

Harris is Eddie Lacy without the China Food. He will be a fine back for a few years but I don’t see anything in his game that would translate to him being a generational guy at the next level. 

The roster can be addressed in many ways and not many of those would  have me complain.

Trading up for a RB would hurt my brain though. That would be a wart on the nose of our witch. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If we trade up for a RB, I might break my TV watching the draft.  
Dolphins are getting Pitts or Chase.  New England got the 2 best free agent Tight Ends and Agholor us an upgrade.  Jets are gonna draft a hot shot QB.  If we trade up it better be for someone who can rush the passer or cover pass catchers.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We could also fall in love with the NC kid. That’s likely our fall back position if no one falls to us or we can’t trade up. Beane is pretty predictable in all honesty and there’s definitely been previous leaks because we knew who we were drafting every year since he’s been there.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Dolphins are getting Pitts or Chase.  New England got the 2 best free agent Tight Ends and Agholor us an upgrade.  Jets are gonna draft a hot shot QB.  If we trade up it better be for someone who can rush the passer or cover pass catchers.  

Completely agree, if a RB is sitting there at 30 and they love him then I can get behind that, but definetely dont trade up for one.  I think the only position I could get behind trading up for is edge rusher, but its a weaker class.  Can probably just sit tight at 30 unless someone they expected gone in the teens is sitting there in the mid 20s.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Completely agree, if a RB is sitting there at 30 and they love him then I can get behind that, but definetely dont trade up for one.  I think the only position I could get behind trading up for is edge rusher, but its a weaker class.  Can probably just sit tight at 30 unless someone they expected gone in the teens is sitting there in the mid 20s.

What if Zaven Collins made it to 24? You don’t think they go get him? I do.

29 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Trade up for Harris!?!

Harris is Eddie Lacy without the China Food. He will be a fine back for a few years but I don’t see anything in his game that would translate to him being a generational guy at the next level. 

The roster can be addressed in many ways and not many of those would  have me complain.

Trading up for a RB would hurt my brain though. That would be a wart on the nose of our witch. 

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I understand the skepticism on trading up for Najee Harris. My most respected poster on this board when it comes to football is against it.( @Rochesterfan )

The Buffalo Bills would have to make a big change in how they view the importance of having an above average run game IMO.  Not much doubt in my mind had Buffalo committed themselves to running the football Singletary would have had a more productive season. If Buffalo drafts Harris running the football will have to be more then just an afterthought.

Edited by Figster

15 minutes ago, The Governor said:

I still think the one player we could trade up for is Owusu-Koramoah if he falls. With Milano re-signing it might seem redundant but he could finally be the big nickel that McDermott has wanted since he got here. He could potentially be what we need to contain Travis Kelce, not to mention Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry and Mike Gesicki in our own division.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I still think the one player we could trade up for is Owusu-Koramoah if he falls. With Milano re-signing it might seem redundant but he could finally be the big nickel that McDermott has wanted since he got here. He could potentially be what we need to contain Travis Kelce, not to mention Jonnu and Henry and Gesicki in our own division.

This pick makes good sense IMO.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I still think the one player we could trade up for is Owusu-Koramoah if he falls. With Milano re-signing it might seem redundant but he could finally be the big nickel that McDermott has wanted since he got here. He could potentially be what we need to contain Travis Kelce, not to mention Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry and Mike Gesicki in our own division.

I’m seeing the DT from NC being mocked to us in the 2nd. That would be very Beane-like.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's not a nerve.........it's just something we go thru every 2-3 draft seasons on here......there is always a different rationale........"the winning mindset" was a creative one......points for that:lol:.

Me pointing out how nonsensical drafting a RB is in round 1 is just part of "the process".   

First of all.......the further we get from the regular season the further removed fans get from what actually works on the field.

And I'm not saying that Beane won't make the mistake of misallocating a valuable asset.........he's made his share of mistakes like reaching past better players at more important positions to fill perceived needs at lesser ones with the likes of Cody Ford, Singletary, Moss etc.

But I do think that they are more likely to pick up a player at a more important position.      The financial pinch they are in will really limit their ability to re-stock much more important positions in the coming years.

And the idea that "well a RB can help right away and if you get 5 top years out of them....." just doesn't actually pan out because as the position has become devalued so has the overall quality of athlete playing it.    

With less than a full handful of exceptions......the lead backs of today would have been the Kenny Davises of yesteryear...........fine for a short period of time.......but not up to the task longer term.

Which is fine..........it's a passing league.........Josh Allen produces 8 yards on average every time he passes the ball.........Jim Brown couldn't make it worthwhile to take the ball out of his hands.     The difference between top backs and guys like Singletary and Moss is less than a measly half yard per carry.

Let me just say, I agree with you to a degree. If we were a rebuilding team that went 3-13 instead of 13-3 then I would definitely say RB in round 1 is really stupid. Like the Giants did with Barkley which clearly didn't make sense when they needed a QB. But our offense literally needs a game breaking RB and a good TE from being fully dominant. It's almost there already. 

We have drafted RBs in the 3rd round each of the last two years and how has that worked out? Zach Moss, I'm not necessarily giving up hope that he can be a really good player yet but I'm pretty sure we know what we have in Singletary at this point. And neither guy is really a guy that can change a game or has game breaking speed. 

To me, there is a clear difference between the RBs you draft in Round 1 as opposed to after. Tomlinson, AP, Elliot, McCaffery, Barkley, Gurley, Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Marshall Faulk. Those guys are or were difference makers for their teams. You can get guys in other rounds like Gore, Kamara, Aaron Jones, LeSean McCoy, Terrell Davis, Thurman and maybe even luck out on an undrafted guy like Fred Jackson or James Robinson and some others but I feel like the odds of that are a little slimmer. We are in our SB window. There's no point in not taking a difference maker at position of need that can make us even more dynamic because "RBs are a dime a dozen" or a "non sensical 1st round pick". I personally would like a pass rusher with the first pick but have no issue at all with Etienne or Harris at 30 if either player is there. I just don't see the point of drafting another 3rd Round RB that's basically the same as what we already have

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Trade up for Harris!?!

He’s closer the Henry than Lacey 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Let me just say, I agree with you to a degree. If we were a rebuilding team that went 3-13 instead of 13-3 then I would definitely say RB in round 1 is really stupid. Like the Giants did with Barkley which clearly didn't make sense when they needed a QB. But our offense literally needs a game breaking RB and a good TE from being fully dominant. It's almost there already. 

We have drafted RBs in the 3rd round each of the last two years and how has that worked out? Zach Moss, I'm not necessarily giving up hope that he can be a really good player yet but I'm pretty sure we know what we have in Singletary at this point. And neither guy is really a guy that can change a game or has game breaking speed. 

To me, there is a clear difference between the RBs you draft in Round 1 as opposed to after. Tomlinson, AP, Elliot, McCaffery, Barkley, Gurley, Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Marshall Faulk. Those guys are or were difference makers for their teams. You can get guys in other rounds like Gore, Kamara, Aaron Jones, LeSean McCoy, Terrell Davis, Thurman and maybe even luck out on an undrafted guy like Fred Jackson or James Robinson and some others but I feel like the odds of that are a little slimmer. We are in our SB window. There's no point in not taking a difference maker at position of need that can make us even more dynamic because "RBs are a dime a dozen" or a "non sensical 1st round pick". I personally would like a pass rusher with the first pick but have no issue at all with Etienne or Harris at 30 if either player is there. I just don't see the point of drafting another 3rd Round RB that's basically the same as what we already have

Yup. We are a team that can take that “luxury” pick RB and 30 is exactly where you want to do it. People get too caught up pretending that we’re Hoodie and will never value the position or insists that we’re always going to trade down. It’s pretty tiresome to be honest. 

The way we have addressed the position hasn’t worked and it needs to be fixed.

2 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Yup. We are a team that can take that “luxury” pick RB and 30 is exactly where you want to do it. People get too caught up pretending that we’re Hoodie and will never value the position or insists that we’re always going to trade down. It’s pretty tiresome to be honest. 

The way we have addressed the position hasn’t worked and it needs to be fixed.

I mean, think about it, what would "The Greatest Show on Turf" have been like without Marshall Faulk? They wouldn't have been that without him. It makes a difference 

• Agree 1

Buffalo has been one of the close lipped organizations since Mcbeane arrived.  They have no clue what they are going to do at 30.  This time of year reporters and pundits just throw crap to the wall and see what sticks.

37 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Such a move would likely cost the Bills’ 3rd round pick this year.  That wold leave them with no picks for all of the 3rd and 4th rounds.  That is too big of an investment, in my opinion.  I like Collins, but are you going to play him at DE with little tape on him playing that position?

31 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

He’s closer the Henry than Lacey 

Yards per carry average is the same. (6.0)

Harris is a much more productive reciever. College 781 yards, 11 TD's

Henry 285, 3 TD's

Both beasts / punishing runners.

I give the edge to Najee Harris over Henry as a great fit in the Bills high powered passing attack.

Edited by Figster