Bills keen on Alabama RB Najee Harris, per NBC Sports and Tony Pauline

Logic

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Yes, but you don’t want to reach for a lesser prospect at a “more valuable” position either.  A so-so DE prospect isn’t (necessarily) a better pick than a very good prospect at a “lesser” position.

To be clear, I am not advocating for Harris or Etienne.

Yes Shaq was a good example of that.    

The $20M+ positions going forward are QB, Pass Rusher, LT, CB, WR1...........if there isn't one of those that your organization can envision becoming a cornerstone player at one of those positions.........trade back.

In the unlikely scenario where you can't project a very good prospect at any of the key positions,  work your way down the list.    RB is literally last on the offensive/defensive positional value spots.        

28 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Let me just say, I agree with you to a degree. If we were a rebuilding team that went 3-13 instead of 13-3 then I would definitely say RB in round 1 is really stupid. Like the Giants did with Barkley which clearly didn't make sense when they needed a QB. But our offense literally needs a game breaking RB and a good TE from being fully dominant. It's almost there already. 

We have drafted RBs in the 3rd round each of the last two years and how has that worked out? Zach Moss, I'm not necessarily giving up hope that he can be a really good player yet but I'm pretty sure we know what we have in Singletary at this point. And neither guy is really a guy that can change a game or has game breaking speed. 

To me, there is a clear difference between the RBs you draft in Round 1 as opposed to after. Tomlinson, AP, Elliot, McCaffery, Barkley, Gurley, Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Marshall Faulk. Those guys are or were difference makers for their teams. You can get guys in other rounds like Gore, Kamara, Aaron Jones, LeSean McCoy, Terrell Davis, Thurman and maybe even luck out on an undrafted guy like Fred Jackson or James Robinson and some others but I feel like the odds of that are a little slimmer. We are in our SB window. There's no point in not taking a difference maker at position of need that can make us even more dynamic because "RBs are a dime a dozen" or a "non sensical 1st round pick". I personally would like a pass rusher with the first pick but have no issue at all with Etienne or Harris at 30 if either player is there. I just don't see the point of drafting another 3rd Round RB that's basically the same as what we already have

First, you are mixing generations of RB's.   The Marshall Faulk type athletes don't even play RB anymore.    They make the big money playing CB or WR or S.    You can't draft a RB in round 1 anymore and assume he's going to ball out for 8-10 years.    As the level of athlete has decreased 26 has become the new 30.

Second........the best all purpose RB's in the league are a hodgepodge of guys like McCaffrey(1st round),  Kamara (3rd round) Aaron Jones (5th round) and Austin Ekeler(undrafted who caught 92 passes in 2019).    The Bills need speed.......the fastest RB's in the NFL over the past 3 seasons are probably Raheem Mostert and Philip Lindsay.......also both undrafted. 

I think you should take a closer look at who the best RB's in the NFL are.    And then eliminate guys like Zeke and Derrick Henry who need an offense tailored to them or at least need the ball handed to them 20+ times per game to have their full impact........because that doesn't make sense with a Josh Allen at QB.     

I don't know if there is even a "kind" of RB you can only find in round one.........but what I do know is that the kind the Bills need you can find all over the draft and in UDFA.    It's proven.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

First, you are mixing generations of RB's.   The Marshall Faulk type athletes don't even play RB anymore.    They make the big money playing CB or WR or S.    You can't draft a RB in round 1 anymore and assume he's going to ball out for 8-10 years.    As the level of athlete has decreased 26 has become the new 30.

Second........the best all purpose RB's in the league are a hodgepodge of guys like McCaffrey(1st round),  Kamara (3rd round) Aaron Jones (5th round) and Austin Ekeler(undrafted who caught 92 passes in 2019).    The Bills need speed.......the fastest RB's in the NFL over the past 3 seasons are probably Raheem Mostert and Philip Lindsay.......also both undrafted. 

I think you should take a closer look at who the best RB's in the NFL are.    And then eliminate guys like Zeke and Derrick Henry who need an offense tailored to them or at least need the ball handed to them 20+ times per game to have their full impact........because that doesn't make sense with a Josh Allen at QB.     

I don't know if there is even a "kind" of RB you can only find in round one.........but what I do know is that the kind the Bills need you can find all over the draft and in UDFA.    It's proven.

I know about mixing generations of RBs. I did that intentionally. I did point out quite a few RBs that have been drafted recently though like McCaffery, Gurley, Elliott, and even guys in the last 15 to 20 years like Tomlinson and AP. Those guys are huge differences compared to a RB you draft in the 4th round. I feel like if you want a difference making, game breaking and speed type back that you need to find that guy in the first and maybe 2nd rounds. And again, I also feel like there is a difference between drafting a first round RB when you are a losing team as opposed to when you are a SB caliber team. 

Edited by Buffalo03

We seem to be forgetting that JA has a few games per season where he just can’t do it himself. These aren’t shootouts, but Josh just being off or the opposing team having his number that day. It’s these days we need a dominating run game. Otherwise, I don’t really want a RB taking throws away from Josh. That said, we do need a RB that he can target out of the backfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, Figster said:

Bills expressed interest in Josh Allen. 

For what its worth I feel almost as strongly about Harris fitting the Bill as I did before the 2018 draft and Josh Allen.

Not many liked the idea, hardly anybody seen it coming.

Yet here we are...

Everybody kind of knew we were high on Ed Oliver too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Everybody kind of knew we were high on Ed Oliver too.

Yep.

The Bills front office is pretty tight-lipped, it’s true. But the notion that no one could possibly have any idea of who they like in upcoming drafts is silly.

Several prominent media personalities knew they wanted Allen. It was well known that they wanted Ed Oliver.

They do a great job keeping most things under wraps, but they’re not an impenetrable steel trap of secrets. Enough with that silliness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yep.

The Bills front office is pretty tight-lipped, it’s true. But the notion that no one could possibly have any idea of who they like in upcoming drafts is silly.

Several prominent media personalities knew they wanted Allen. It was well known that they wanted Ed Oliver.

They do a great job keeping most things under wraps, but they’re not an impenetrable steel trap of secrets. Enough with that silliness.

It was known before McDermott became HC that he wanted one of Allen/Rosen in the 2018 draft.

That's why the Bills road with Taylor in 2017 and made that trade with KC on draft day.

At least that secret really wasn't kept in the bag.

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I know about mixing generations of RBs. I did that intentionally. I did point out quite a few RBs that have been drafted recently though like McCaffery, Gurley, Elliott, and even guys in the last 15 to 20 years like Tomlinson and AP. Those guys are huge differences compared to a RB you draft in the 4th round. I feel like if you want a difference making, game breaking and speed type back that you need to find that guy in the first and maybe 2nd rounds. And again, I also feel like there is a difference between drafting a first round RB when you are a losing team as opposed to when you are a SB caliber team. 

You pointed out some good current RB's that went in round 1...........I pointed out a greater number of dynamic current RB's that went from the 3rd round all the way to being undrafted.

That is proof that you can get top quality RB production anywhere in the draft.    You can't tell me that the difference between McCaffrey and Kamara/Jones is "huge".  

That's just not true.   

And Moss and Singletary don't actually suck........they are pretty good backs but they were drafted for an offense that was under center with a lot of 12 personnel,  sometimes a fullback.......more of a power run blocking scheme.

But when Allen broke out last fall.........they became more of a spread offense,  shotgun predominant, zone blocking team..........which better suits backs that are quicker, faster 1 cut types...... like Matt Breida.    

With so much of the NCAA running spread offenses I like the odds of a good scouting staff being able to identify players that fit the system well anywhere in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You pointed out some good current RB's that went in round 1...........I pointed out a greater number of dynamic current RB's that went from the 3rd round all the way to being undrafted.

That is proof that you can get top quality RB production anywhere in the draft.    You can't tell me that the difference between McCaffrey and Kamara/Jones is "huge".  

That's just not true.   

And Moss and Singletary don't actually suck........they are pretty good backs but they were drafted for an offense that was under center with a lot of 12 personnel,  sometimes a fullback.......more of a power run blocking scheme.

But when Allen broke out last fall.........they became more of a spread offense,  shotgun predominant, zone blocking team..........which better suits backs that are quicker, faster 1 cut types...... like Matt Breida.    

With so much of the NCAA running spread offenses I like the odds of a good scouting staff being able to identify players that fit the system well anywhere in the draft.

There isn't much of a difference between McCaffery and Kamara but that's just one example. In most situations, you would never find a RB in the 3rd round or later that would come close to McCaffery. How many 3rd round or later RBs are even as good as Kamara? Kamara was an anomaly in my opinion. I really believe that a dynamic RB takes this offense over the top. Harris and Etienne can be that

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

There isn't much of a difference between McCaffery and Kamara but that's just one example. In most situations, you would never find a RB in the 3rd round or later that would come close to McCaffery. How many 3rd round or later RBs are even as good as Kamara? Kamara was an anomaly in my opinion. I really believe that a dynamic RB takes this offense over the top. Harris and Etienne can be that

In 2019 USA Today ranked the top running backs selected in round one in the past decade:

16.  Jahvid Best

15.  David Wilson

14.  Trent Richardson

13.  CJ Spiller

12.  Ryan Matthews

11.   Doug "muscle hamster" Martin

10.  Rashaad Penny 

9.    Josh Jacobs (3.9 ypc last year....yuck)

8.    Leonard Fournette (a career sub 4.0 ypc in a league where the average ypc is 4.2)

7.    Sony Michel (only season he stayed healthy had 3.7 ypc)

6.   Melvin Gordon (4 of his 6 seasons below 4.0 ypc)

5.   Mark Ingram (long, solid career as a rotational back but not a playmaker)

4.   Todd Gurley

3.   Saquon Barkley

2.   Christian Mccaffrey

1.   Ezekiel Elliott

Only the top 4 have been elite RB's..........and they weren't just first round picks......they were all picked with top 10 overall picks.

And Gurley flamed out at the end of his age 24 season and Barkley is now surgically repaired after putting in two very good seasons.

Fournette, Richardson and Spiller were also top 10 picks.......so even being THAT certain that the RB will be great isn't anywhere close to a lock.

The rest of that list could have been undrafted and nobody would be astonished that they weren't selected.

So who are all these "in most situations" guys that prove that anywhere in the 1st round is where you get superstar RB's?

Last year CEH was the RB that was selected in round 1.........go back and compare his numbers to Singletary year 2......very similar.....(and note that Singletary year 1 averaged 5.0 ypc).

• Like (+1) 1

Every round produces stars. It doesn’t matter position. We can cherry pick great players from all rounds. It comes down to a team’s valuation of the player, not the round they are selected. If the Bills see a 1st round RB who they think will significantly contribute to our offense this coming season, then pull the trigger. 

31 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Every round produces stars. It doesn’t matter position. We can cherry pick great players from all rounds. It comes down to a team’s valuation of the player, not the round they are selected. If the Bills see a 1st round RB who they think will significantly contribute to our offense this coming season, then pull the trigger. 

Generally speaking the early rounds produce a much higher % of star players than the later rounds.  

It's just much easier to get high quality play from mid-late round running backs than it is late rounders at positions like QB, Pass Rushers, LT, CB........

And when you have a need at THOSE positions..........you really have a need........and they cost A LOT more to acquire in free agency.........if you can even find ones in UFA that aren't full of red flags.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Honestly - take a look at the running backs picked in round 1 over the past two decades and you might be surprised how ordinary the list is.  Beanie Wells was a first round pick.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In 2019 USA Today ranked the top running backs selected in round one in the past decade:

16.  Jahvid Best

15.  David Wilson

14.  Trent Richardson

13.  CJ Spiller

12.  Ryan Matthews

11.   Doug "muscle hamster" Martin

10.  Rashaad Penny 

9.    Josh Jacobs (3.9 ypc last year....yuck)

8.    Leonard Fournette (a career sub 4.0 ypc in a league where the average ypc is 4.2)

7.    Sony Michel (only season he stayed healthy had 3.7 ypc)

6.   Melvin Gordon (4 of his 6 seasons below 4.0 ypc)

5.   Mark Ingram (long, solid career as a rotational back but not a playmaker)

4.   Todd Gurley

3.   Saquon Barkley

2.   Christian Mccaffrey

1.   Ezekiel Elliott

Only the top 4 have been elite RB's..........and they weren't just first round picks......they were all picked with top 10 overall picks.

And Gurley flamed out at the end of his age 24 season and Barkley is now surgically repaired after putting in two very good seasons.

Fournette, Richardson and Spiller were also top 10 picks.......so even being THAT certain that the RB will be great isn't anywhere close to a lock.

The rest of that list could have been undrafted and nobody would be astonished that they weren't selected.

So who are all these "in most situations" guys that prove that anywhere in the 1st round is where you get superstar RB's?

Last year CEH was the RB that was selected in round 1.........go back and compare his numbers to Singletary year 2......very similar.....(and note that Singletary year 1 averaged 5.0 ypc).

I still would take Harris or Etienne. Like Jimmy Johnson said "if you're gonna draft a RB then draft the best one". Maybe the 3rd time would be the charm this year

• Agree 1

The only way I see them taking Harris is to provide another red zone weapon. I am sure the tape of the multiple failed trips into the red zone in the KC playoff game might make running the ball with a bigger RB a consideration. They have to make teams pay if they rollout a 6 db defense.    

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/26/2021 at 12:59 PM, The Governor said:

People are just being silly. Value doesn’t matter at all this year. We need 2 players from this draft that will help us get to the next step. It doesn’t matter at all “where” we draft these players.

The  only smokescreen here would be getting Javonte NC to slip to us. We’re definitely taking a RB.

I can't believe I have talked myself into a RB this year but the more I read about J. Williams the more I think he is a fit.

They say he is probably top of Day 2 but I can't remember the last time the Bills had a young bruising RB.

I really like how everyone talks about his pass blocking and he has a lot of tread left on him.

I'm crazy but Williams/Breida/Moss or Singletary sounds like a very well rounded RB room to me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/26/2021 at 4:53 PM, Norcalbillsfan said:

I still feel like if the bills are going RB at 30 it's Etienne. He's everything the bills want speed and pass catching. Just my 2 cents is if the CB or edge they want isn't there at 30 then they look at Etienne cuz he instantly makes the offense better. If the CB or edge is there they take it in a heart beat then maybe take a speedy pass catching back later rounds or just rotate breida. Either way I think Breida is the insurance if they don't get the back they want.

Well he DID play college in Carolina...