Bills keen on Alabama RB Najee Harris, per NBC Sports and Tony Pauline

Logic

On 3/26/2021 at 1:03 PM, ScottLaw said:

Unless they trade Singletary I can’t see this at all. 

C’mon they could ease cut him if they get better there. It’s clear he hasn’t become what they hoped. 

On 3/31/2021 at 8:21 PM, Motorin' said:

The misnomer about RB's being a dime a dozen is that you can find one in the late rounds. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will... But this guy, with a name like Deon Jackson. I'm just saying. 

Adding a dynamic talented running back to this offense would open up the entire field. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Don’t expect it.  Running the 40 could only hurt him and with his ankle injury - he should not risk it.

Most “experts” have him pegged at a mid 4.5 range.  Right at that lower end between not being fast enough for NFL and being alright.

His power, leadership, and catch ability make up for some of the lack of speed.  The issue becomes when in the NFL he is running behind a lesser offense line against DL and LBs with more speed than in the collegiate game - can he excel or does he become another mid level RB.  What really is his NFL expectation: 600 yards max as a rookie (McDermott will only platoon him in year 1) and then what?

I just don’t know and I don’t think a 1st round pick with the 5th year option is the place to find out.  If we move back to the top of the second - he is more worth it - 4 year initial contract and you can replace him.

If I am picking someone in the first round - I want to draft someone that will use the 5th year option and you want to sign to a 2nd contract and I really don’t like that option with RB.  Initial contracts and cheap FA pick-ups are where we should be spending in my opinion.

Not sure if mid-4.5 is "not fast enough".  Kamara ran a 4.56.  Edwards-Helaire ran a 4.6.  Chubb ran a 4.52.  Hunt a 4.62.  Jones a 4.56. Montgomery a 4.63. 

10 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

C’mon they could ease cut him if they get better there. It’s clear he hasn’t become what they hoped. 

Adding a dynamic talented running back to this offense would open up the entire field. 

This rushing offense stinks at the moment.  The offensive line needs to improve, the backs, and the playcalling.  You could be bo jackson and it doesn't matter when you're running into a wall.

12 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

To me it looks like they are filling holes in the roster with inexpensive veterans, who can do the job and have a track record.  That leaves them the option to do more BPA or not to have a hole in the roster if their targets in the draft get taken before our pick.

Beane does this every year, he likes to have his team set prior to the draft and it isn't necessarily BPA in the draft in rd 1 and rd 2, it a position or player they target.

He will definitely move up for players he wants and "that stick out like a sore thumb" on the board. At this point, he has made it abundantly clear he won't trade picks for a future draft, but he is more than willing to move in the current years draft. The players that "stick out like a sore thumb" are ones they target and hope slide and he can go up and snag them. 

BPA for Beane is sold as BPA, but he has targets in certain positions and sees if one will slide to him or if the move can be made, at the right price, to go get their guy...

Not disagreeing btw, just adding. Beane is a very honest and open GM.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Not sure if mid-4.5 is "not fast enough".  Kamara ran a 4.56.  Edwards-Helaire ran a 4.6.  Chubb ran a 4.52.  Hunt a 4.62.  Jones a 4.56. Montgomery a 4.63. 

This rushing offense stinks at the moment.  The offensive line needs to improve, the backs, and the playcalling.  You could be bo jackson and it doesn't matter when you're running into a wall.

Maybe, but once Moss got his hamstring back after the combine - he ran a 4.52/4.55 and he is complained about as way to slow.  So yes it is easy to pull out guys as examples, but the mid 4.5 range makes it very dependent on the back and the holes.  A guy like CEH to me is a JAG and if that is what we get out of Harris - he is definitely not worth the pick in round 1.

Chubb and Hunt are guys that can definitely run over and sometimes run away from people and when one guys was out - like Chubb with injury or Hunt with suspension - Cleveland did not miss a beat.  

As I have said - he is not slow, but 4.55 speed does not give you a different dimension on the offense - it gives you Moss with what looks like slightly better vision based on the holes he ran through in college.  If people are looking for the elite all purpose back - I am not sure you are getting something more than a CEH or a Sony Michel - a 800 - 1000 yard back at a 4.2-4.4 YPC level - which is exactly what you were getting with Zack Moss as he got playing time - a 4.3 YPC average - just significantly fewer carriers than a guy like CEH because as a rookie the Bills seem to bring them along slow.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I absolutely could not be Bo Jackson with my 40 time 😂 

yep, run blocking was poor, but I believe a little speed and ability to attack the edges might help that as well. No one was worried about setting the edge with singletary back there. 

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

1) Singletary is actually a solid starting RB.......prior to last season he was generally considered a top 20 starter(in some opinions considerably better) and his numbers are better than you think.   Cutting him is a ridiculous suggestion and shows the overzealousness of some fans regarding his play.

2) How will adding another running back "open up the entire field"?    And what makes you so sure that guys like Etienne or Harris fit that bill as "dynamic"?    Clyde Edwards Helaire was just as good of a prospect and he was basically Devin Singletary 2.0 last year.    The reality is that there isn't a lot of "real speed" at the RB position and with 230-260# defenders regularly proving to be faster than guys like Etienne and Harris I wonder why fans keep thinking they are going to scorch the earth in the NFL.    The only 1st round RB's that have made a huge impact in the last 20 years were the "generational" talents that went top 10........and only about half of those had multiple elite seasons.   Once you get into the range where Harris/Etienne would fall,  mid-late in round 1,  it's been one disappointment after the next.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I absolutely could not be Bo Jackson with my 40 time 😂 

yep, run blocking was poor, but I believe a little speed and ability to attack the edges might help that as well. No one was worried about setting the edge with singletary back there. 

I just felt like all outside rushes were outside zone, and we were getting wrecked on the backside.  That play doesn't work if you can't cut back, and the cutback lanes were swarmed with backes or linemen.  So to me the execution there is largely on the blocking, especially williams and mongo/winters on the backside.

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I just felt like all outside rushes were outside zone, and we were getting wrecked on the backside.  That play doesn't work if you can't cut back, and the cutback lanes were swarmed with backes or linemen.  So to me the execution there is largely on the blocking, especially williams and mongo/winters on the backside.

Perhaps. Still liking the idea of speed either attacking the edge or swings the flat in this offense. There seemed to be space there all year in the way teams defended the passing attack. Will be interesting to see where Brieda falls on the depth chart. 

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Maybe, but once Moss got his hamstring back after the combine - he ran a 4.52/4.55 and he is complained about as way to slow.  So yes it is easy to pull out guys as examples, but the mid 4.5 range makes it very dependent on the back and the holes.  A guy like CEH to me is a JAG and if that is what we get out of Harris - he is definitely not worth the pick in round 1.

Chubb and Hunt are guys that can definitely run over and sometimes run away from people and when one guys was out - like Chubb with injury or Hunt with suspension - Cleveland did not miss a beat.  

As I have said - he is not slow, but 4.55 speed does not give you a different dimension on the offense - it gives you Moss with what looks like slightly better vision based on the holes he ran through in college.  If people are looking for the elite all purpose back - I am not sure you are getting something more than a CEH or a Sony Michel - a 800 - 1000 yard back at a 4.2-4.4 YPC level - which is exactly what you were getting with Zack Moss as he got playing time - a 4.3 YPC average - just significantly fewer carriers than a guy like CEH because as a rookie the Bills seem to bring them along slow.

Moss continued to look better throughout the year. Devin seemed to plateau, maybe regress. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Moss continued to look better throughout the year. Devin seemed to plateau, maybe regress. 

Exactly and the thought of replacing Moss with someone with his style and speed seems crazy.

Devin did regress some, but many players have sophomore slumps - where they come back thinking they are BMOC and suddenly some of that off season eating takes an edge off.  

I will judge him more fully after his third year.  He had a good average in year one and had a big burst run of over 50 yards for a TD and no one caught him from behind - so maybe he can find the balance.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills right now have two fundamental problems.

Problem 1 is finding a way to beat KC, who thoroughly outclassed them twice last season.

Problem 2 is keeping pace with New England, who loaded up in free agency and is going to feature an offense that tries to dominate the middle of the field.

A first round running back solves neither of these problems for Buffalo.  Worse, if Beane looks at his roster and thinks the best way to beat KC is to run the ball more to keep Mahomes off the field, Beane is a field general making a fatal strategic error.

The Bills need to find a way to affect the passing game more than they did in 2020.  That means a better passrush and better coverage over the middle of the field.

The Bills also need to find a way to make their offense even more dangerous and prolific - they need playmakers with speed.

Harris is not the solution to the Bills’ issues, not at all.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Problem 1 is finding a way to beat KC, who thoroughly outclassed them twice last season.

Problem 2 is keeping pace with New England, who loaded up in free agency and is going to feature an offense that tries to dominate the middle of the field.

A first round running back solves neither of these problems for Buffalo.  Worse, if Beane looks at his roster and thinks the best way to beat KC is to run the ball more to keep Mahomes off the field, Beane is a field general making a fatal strategic error.

The Bills need to find a way to affect the passing game more than they did in 2020.  That means a better passrush and better coverage over the middle of the field.

The Bills also need to find a way to make their offense even more dangerous and prolific - they need playmakers with speed.

Aligned, but they aren’t likely to find a very good pass rusher late in the first round of a poor DE class.  Now, maybe they can find a good CB prospect there.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/31/2021 at 8:26 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

how long do you expect to get out of guys like Etienne and Harris who have already put in around 800 touches in the past 3-4 years?    Sometimes they arrive in the league already in decline nowadays.   Not the same athletes playing the position anymore.

I fully agree, and as much as I like Najee, he is not my first choice when we select.

That said, he IS a great athlete. As big as he is, he leaps over defenders. He has great moves, is an excellent blocker, and really can catch. The only thing that he lacks is that extra step in terms of top end speed. 

Your comment about the number of carries is however something to seriously consider. I won't be mad if we select him but once again, I would prefer a blocker.

Jmo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The funny thing is that the Patriots defense has been about as good against the Chiefs as any since Mahomes got there............and it's not the talent.........it's because they can alter their approach for their opponent.

One of the problems the Bills ran into defensively last season is that they are in year 4 of running a defense that is not "multiple" like the Pats.........and after 4 years of running the same looks teams now know how the Bills are going to react to them defensively and have a good feel for how to attack them.   

The biggest improvement they could make defensively might be just adding different looks..........so that they don't just get dissected by the Chiefs the way the Patriots used to tear up the Steelers zone defense in the playoffs year after year.

Offensively,  spot on, they need real speed.    That could be a guy who can provide RAC with his speed.   They don't have that kinda' guy.     Or.........my preferred route........is add a deep threat WR.    

If they really wanna' shake things up they should keep an eye on the Russell Wilson situation...........if the Seahawks trade Wilson(as Chris Mortenson insists that they still very well might) then I'd be on the horn with them about DK Metcalf.

Seattle just gave Tyler Lockett a huge deal..........maybe in a great WR class they may be inclined re-start the clock on WR2........and be willing to move DKM for the Bills #1, #2 and a #5.   You could substitute Davis for one of those picks as well.    People might be surprised......but he's only 2 seasons from UFA.    He is the counter to a Tyreek Hill.   Rondale Moore and Kadarius Toney are relative half-measures in this arm race.   Diggs + DKM matches Kelce + Hill.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2021 at 1:04 PM, Logic said:

In before 43 more people say "it's a smokescreen". I'm not saying it's NOT a smokescreen, by the way.

For what it's worth, Benjamin Albright, who is right about the Bills more often than he's wrong about them come draft time, has also heard that the Bills are looking running back at 30. 

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't have a horse in this race either way.

Another excellent Logical post .... 

On 4/2/2021 at 5:00 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

I tend to agree.  Only way Harris makes a ton of sense, is if you think he can be the piece that you feel puts you over the top in terms of super bowl. 

I personally think running back in with the same defense is a mistake.  We let them run on us in the first meeting by playing the pass on every RPO, and in the 2nd game they carved up the zone.  But that game, they tried other stuff, man, blitzing etc.  Nothing worked.  Thats why Im reluctant to just say the offense needs the most work.  

Great balance on contact, good burst, i dunno that hes a "burner" but speed looks pretty good. Looks good inside the RZ. What do you all think? Im gunna check out a scouting report to see what the consensus is on pass blocking. Looks to me like he brings something to the table we dont currently have!

3 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Najee Harris is a traditional between-the-tackles grinder who would slow down the Bills high-powered passing attack, waste time on the clock, and prevent the Bills from scoring more points. 

This prospect does not help the Bills become more explosive on offense; he actually does the opposite.

The goal for the Bills is to be more explosive both passing and running.

Respectfully, this view represents a gross oversimplification.

Just as one example: Suppose Harris helps the Bills to convert short yardage situations, thus keeping the offense on the field. If Harris runs for 3 yards on 3rd and 2 to give the Bills a new set of downs, and then on 1st down, Allen heaves a 50 yard touchdown pass....well...Harris directly contributed to that outcome.

Here's another: Josh Allen was ALREADY one of the top play-action quarterbacks in football last year. Imagine how much MORE effective he could be in that regard with a running attack that actually threatened defenses.

Furthermore, Harris has the speed to turn the corner, and can contribute in the passing game, too.

I'm not on team "draft a running back in the 1st round", by any means. I'm fine if they do and I'm fine if they don't. I trust the front office. But painting Harris is an old-school power plodder that would "slow down our explosive offense" is just not fair or accurate, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Once again:

Najee Harris is the worst pick for the Bills in Round 1.

Najee Harris is a traditional between-the-tackles grinder who would slow down the Bills high-powered passing attack, waste time on the clock, and prevent the Bills from scoring more points. 

This prospect does not help the Bills become more explosive on offense; he actually does the opposite.

The goal for the Bills is to be more explosive both passing and running.

HARD disagree. Like, as hard as physically possible.

The goal is for the offense to score more points than the other team. Period. Full-stop. Our greatest offensive deficiencies were in short yardage and goal-line situations.

Currently our FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK is our best goal line back. You want to stop our explosiveness? Get Josh hurt on the goal line because Motor and Moss are our RBs.

Look, I get it, it's fun to watch Alvin Kamara do what he does and the Chiefs do what they do and say "that's what I want", but football is a multidimensional sport and there are multiple ways to win. Harris is a balanced back that would bring balance to the offense. He would also help us sustain drives which would keep the defense fresher (extra important with aging pass rushers). 

If we were just trying to challenge Mahomes and the Chiefs for offensive records, then I'd agree, he's probably not the best fit. But we're trying to win football games. Just because we rolled out 4 WRs and threw the ball over the field more last year doesn't mean we need to lean even more heavily in that direction, it means we had to adjust for a deficient running attack. 

Harris isn't my top choice at 30, but I'm certainly warming up to the idea, and really think all of your logic is about as wrong as it can get.

EDIT: it's also worth mentioning that just because Alabama didn't use him as much in the passing game, doesn't mean he can't be a contributor there, his HS tape shows a player very adept at both running and catching the football. The silly amount of talent on that Bama roster requires some deeper thinking on these Bama targets, and that's one such example.

Edited by glazeduck
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

HARD disagree. Like, as hard as physically possible.

The goal is for the offense to score more points than the other team. Period. Full-stop. Our greatest offensive deficiencies were in short yardage and goal-line situations.

Currently our FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK is our best goal line back. You want to stop our explosiveness? Get Josh hurt on the goal line because Motor and Moss are our RBs.

Look, I get it, it's fun to watch Alvin Kamara do what he does and the Chiefs do what they do and say "that's what I want", but football is a multidimensional sport and there are multiple ways to win. Harris is a balanced back that would bring balance to the offense. He would also help us sustain drives which would keep the defense faster (extra important with aging pass rushers). 

If we were just trying to challenge Mahomes and the Chiefs for offensive records, then I'd agree, he's probably not the best fit. But we're trying to win football games. Just because we rolled out 4 WRs and threw the ball over the field more last year doesn't mean we need to lean even more heavily in that direction, it means we had to adjust for a deficient running attack. 

Harris isn't my top choice at 30, but I'm certainly warming up to the idea, and really think all of your logic is about as wrong as it can get.

Let me get this straight: you want to use a first-round pick on a GOAL LINE BACK?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1