Beane and McDermott have done the seemingly impossible within 4 years for the Bills...players actively WANT to be Bills and will take paycuts to make it happen or less money to sign here

Big Turk

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, all speculation on your part.  He very well could have been satisfied with what the Bills offered him, despite having better ones.  Why is this so hard to believe? n Do you think Daryl Williams took the best deal that he could have gotten?

And many players (with many of them being non-superstars) got big, multi-year deals, most notably from teams in the Bills' division.  You don't think they wouldn't have liked to add a good player (his effect on the defense was marked and he's missed just 9 games out of 64) while hurting the Bills?

Everything unknown is speculation doc.  We are talking about likelihoods.  It makes no sense to conclude that a guy like Milano would leave millions per year on the table because of his love for Buffalo.  

Williams, after an injury plagued 2018, signed a 1 year deal with the Panthers for 6 million.  A year later he signed another 1 year deal with the Bills for 2.25 million.  Now he has signed for 24 million (twice his career earnings to date) over (only) 3 years with 14 mil guaranteed.  I wouldn't exactly call that a "pay cut" either.  Who "locks up" an o-lineman with 27 of 32 starts and 97% of snaps last season to only a 3 year deal....with an easy out after 2? 

Williams couldn't jump on that deal fast enough I bet.

Edited by Mr. WEO

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Everything unknown is speculation doc.  We are talking about likelihoods.  It makes no sense to conclude that a guy like Milano would leave millions per year on the table because of his love for Buffalo.  

Williams, after an injury plagued 2018, signed a 1 year deal with the Panthers for 6 million.  A year later he signed another 1 year deal with the Bills for 2.25 million.  Now he has signed for 24 million (twice his career earnings to date) over (only) 3 years with 14 mil guaranteed.  I wouldn't exactly call that a "pay cut" either.  Williams couldn't jump on that deal fast enough I bet.

Why not?  What's so wrong with Buffalo?

As for Williams, he was paid more than Milano last year.  And AFAIK, didn't allegedly demand "top dollar."

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why not?  What's so wrong with Buffalo?

As for Williams, he was paid more than Milano last year.  And AFAIK, didn't allegedly demand "top dollar."

Nothing at all.  But the OP is saying a bunch of signing's took pay cuts to stay.  I'm sure Beane had the discussions similar to what I talked about for obvious business reasons.  They make sense.

Milano and Feliciano, we have discussed.  Butler and Addison were very tasty cap saving cuts.  These fringe players weren't hard to convince with multi-year deals. 

Milano was under his rookie contract last year doc, not a FA.  Not sure what your point is there pointing that out.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nothing at all.  But the OP is saying a bunch of signing's took pay cuts to stay.  I'm sure Beane had the discussions similar to what I talked about for obvious business reasons.  They make sense.

Milano and Feliciano, we have discussed.  Butler and Addison were very tasty cap saving cuts.  These fringe players weren't hard to convince with multi-year deals. 

Milano was under his rookie contract last year doc, not a FA.  Not sure what your point is there pointing that out.

So if there's nothing wrong with Buffalo, there's no reason to think that Milano wouldn't have taken a discount to stay with the team that drafted him and that just went to the AFCCG last year and kept most of the important pieces together.  And I'm not sure if you've read about Milano's personal life, but he basically lived the last 4 years in an almost-bare apartment in a rundown building.  That's why I never believed the "looking for top dollar" thing, at best chalking-it-up to his agent (who as you're fond of saying, works for his client). 

As for my point about what Milano made last year, that's the point.  It means nothing WRT Williams.  Players don't look at what they got paid last year and say "I'll take whatever I can get!"  Especially when they play at a high level.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

So if there's nothing wrong with Buffalo, there's no reason to think that Milano wouldn't have taken a discount to stay with the team that drafted him and that just went to the AFCCG last year and kept most of the important pieces together.  And I'm not sure if you've read about Milano's personal life, but he basically lived the last 4 years in an almost-bare apartment in a rundown building.  That's why I never believed the "looking for top dollar" thing, at best chalking-it-up to his agent (who as you're fond of saying, works for his client). 

As for my point about what Milano made last year, that's the point.  It means nothing WRT Williams.  Players don't look at what they got paid last year and say "I'll take whatever I can get!"  Especially when they play at a high level.

His agent would tell you what you already know doc, you don't leave money on the table.  So we can safely assume there was none--or at least that's what each of these guys concluded (as did their agents.......after 6 weeks in Milano's case).  

Yeah, we all read about the "I was living on a couch (as I banked $4.4 million)" tear jerker.  Come on! LOL.  Are you really coming in with that?  To remind you: it's a "one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment in a renovated, red-brick building with exposed ductwork in downtown Buffalo".  That's a primo Buffalo loft (or what passes for such).

I said Milano was maybe looking at a 1 year contract after an injury plagued year, like Williams (who you brought up, without irony).  It would take Williams another 1 year contract with another team before he made his money (and even then it's a short time deal).

Beane is smart, not because he sold these guys on "the process".  He reasonably wanted these pieces of the team to stay and  painted them a clear picture of what was very likely out there (or not) for them.  These guys were not in solid positions to really bargain hard (Milano is the only one remotely close) and he knew that.  Soon, he knew that too.   He gave them all pretty generous offers for their value--not one of them as a discount.  

9 hours ago, H2o said:

Many of us are happy with Beane, but there are still those who find something to complain about or dangle it as a reason he "sucks" or "should be fired". Norman, Jefferson, and Murphy are all gone. Addison and Butler restructured their deals. None of that can "bite us" now. The cap situation sucked this year due to Covid. We kept our own and added a couple of pieces, one an upgrade at WR. In doing so we have at least kept continuity while other teams have made many changes, teams considered to be in the upper echelon of the AFC. We were just in the AFC Championship game. It's not really that dire. NE went on a spending spree, but they still don't have a QB and spending $$$ on high priced FA's is rarely a recipe for success. The draft is still to come as well. 

I don't think everyone that complains wants Beane fired that's ridiculous. Beane has done a fabulous job in signing low budget free agents and he does his best work in the later rds of the draft. He hasn't really hit hard at the very top of the draft other then delivering us our franchise QB but he hasn't really wiffed either Edmunds, Oliver, Ford are all competent players and not complete busts . Could he be perfect ? No GM is perfect . 

Beane has also helped build the culture we got here in Buffalo and that's very hard to do while trying to put together a really good football team. I guess the only question is now can he and Mcd take us over the top? We'll find out. 

10 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Yes we are all happy with Beane - but he has yet to improve the roster significantly for 2021 season - so let us wait to see if the Addison, Butler, Jefferson, Norman deals or non-waiving of Murphy from last year come back to bite us.

we still need infusion of talent at TE, DE, run blocking Guard, CB and maybe, RB.

And LB help. Or someone that plays like Jaelan Phillips in game films!

Edited by Rocket94

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

His agent would tell you what you already know doc, you don't leave money on the table.  So we can safely assume there was none--or at least that's what each of these guys concluded (as did their agents.......after 6 weeks in Milano's case).  

Yeah, we all read about the "I was living on a couch (as I banked $4.4 million)" tear jerker.  Come on! LOL.  Are you really coming in with that?  To remind you: it's a "one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment in a renovated, red-brick building with exposed ductwork in downtown Buffalo".  That's a primo Buffalo loft (or what passes for such).

I said Milano was maybe looking at a 1 year contract after an injury plagued year, like Williams (who you brought up, without irony).  It would take Williams another 1 year contract with another team before he made his money (and even then it's a short time deal).

Beane is smart, not because he sold these guys on "the process".  He reasonably wanted these pieces of the team to stay and  painted them a clear picture of what was very likely out there (or not) for them.  These guys were not in solid positions to really bargain hard (Milano is the only one remotely close) and he knew that.  Soon, he knew that too.   He gave them all pretty generous offers for their value--not one of them as a discount.  

I'm not sure where you got the notion that agents always go for the most money.  They don't.  The good ones go for the best deal.  Sometimes that means the most money.  A lot of times, it doesn't.  Without him hitting FA, there's no way to claim that was the best offer he was going to get, much less based on every interested team allegedly contacting him a week before FA started and letting him know what they were willing to offer.  Again all it takes is one team with a lot of money and a need, while several teams only drives the price up.

And I'm not sure what the guffawing over Williams is about?  Sure he took a 1-year deal with the Panthers after getting hurt, but he took a 1-year deal with the Bills because he was betting on himself.  And it worked.  He hasn't missed a game in 2 years and played very well last year at his natural position and could easily have made a lot more in FA. 

8 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

@Mr. WEO I think @Doc is right.  We got the Beane is a wizard discount double check!  Seriously, both of you fine posters make excellent points but I think we did get a little discount!

WEO just doesn't like Beane.  Like many of the other people he doesn't like (the Pegulas), and many he does, I have no idea why. 

Edited by Doc

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Half this board wants to replace, Knox, Singletary, Moss, and Ford which represents half the top 3 picks in the last two years.

Half this board wakes up with a torch with one hand and a pitchfork in other.

We are just lucky the Pegulas were foolish enough to not wait for ideal time to move and just move.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm not sure where you got the notion that agents always go for the most money.  They don't.  The good ones go for the best deal.  Sometimes that means the most money.  A lot of times, it doesn't.  Without him hitting FA, there's no way to claim that was the best offer he was going to get, much less based on every interested team allegedly contacting him a week before FA started and letting him know what they were willing to offer.  Again all it takes is one team with a lot of money and a need, while several teams only drives the price up.

And I'm not sure what the guffawing over Williams is about?  Sure he took a 1-year deal with the Panthers after getting hurt, but he took a 1-year deal with the Bills because he was betting on himself.  And it worked.  He hasn't missed a game in 2 years and played very well last year at his natural position and could easily have made a lot more in FA. 

WEO just doesn't like Beane.  Like many of the other people he doesn't like (the Pegulas), and many he does, I have no idea why. 

I may have missed it jumping in late but how much do you imply with “a lot” on these guys?

1 hour ago, RunJoshRun said:

I can't believe all the negative comments.  SAD!  All these Little Leaguers want major trades or big-time signings of alleged super stars and don't get it.  We have a great team.  Sit still kids and watch the Bills win games and enjoy it!

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Half this board wakes up with a torch with one hand and a pitchfork in other.

We are just lucky the Pegulas were foolish enough to not wait for ideal time to move and just move.

Because either the entire team is going to the HOF or you hate them. 
The thread has its title “done the seemingly impossible”. Not complaining and am happy with the team. But done the impossible? The premise of that is insulting to the team. 

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Yes we are all happy with Beane - but he has yet to improve the roster significantly for 2021 season - so let us wait to see if the Addison, Butler, Jefferson, Norman deals or non-waiving of Murphy from last year come back to bite us.

we still need infusion of talent at TE, DE, run blocking Guard, CB and maybe, RB.

You have unrealistic expectations.  The better a team gets, the harder it is for that team to improve significantly not because of lower position in the draft  but primarily because it's going to take adding really good players to be better than the players already on the roster or players who leave the team.   That doesn't even take into account the salary cap.  A bottom feeder team with a handful of players with better than mediocre talent can easily improve by signing mid-level FAs and picking wisely in the draft since their talent levels tend to be low at so many positions.

• Like (+1) 1

Add McKenzie to the list of players who took less to sign with the Bills than he could have gotten elsewhere...said a few teams offered him more and mentioned thr Lions specifically but said all he wanted was to stay here

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/22/2021 at 11:06 AM, IgotBILLStopay said:

Yes we are all happy with Beane - but he has yet to improve the roster significantly for 2021 season - so let us wait to see if the Addison, Butler, Jefferson, Norman deals or non-waiving of Murphys  from last year come back to bite us.

The 2021 season is what, two weeks old?  Relax mr glass is half empty, we have 5 months before the Bills first game

Edited by Pete

On 3/22/2021 at 10:56 PM, RunJoshRun said:

I can't believe all the negative comments.  SAD!  All these Little Leaguers want major trades or big-time signings of alleged super stars and don't get it.  We have a great team.  Sit still kids and watch the Bills win games and enjoy it!

Agree. Besides Beane always said he puts a priority on resigning his own FA's and he has. We still have the draft as a way to improve the team. 13-3 and with a bright future. We should be optimistic. That's not to say the Bills don't have areas they can improve on because they do. Coming off a 13-3 season with a bright future means their should be exciting times ahead with this team.

On 3/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Weo, the agent doesn’t always tell their client to always take the money.  It doesn’t sound like you have had conversations with pro athletes but I have.  

I know one ex baseball player that specifically took A LOT less to play for the Braves.  It was simply because his favorite hunting spot was just outside of Atlanta.  In the offseason, he just wants to hunt and fish.  He’s a true redneck.  He’s retired now, fat and bog beard...no one would recognize him.

My best friend played for the Padres and Red Sox.  He didn’t make it all the way but he knows a ton of people who did.  One semi star was in his wedding.  This guy turned down much bigger money just because he has kids now, developed strong friendships and didn’t want to move anymore.  He considered moving back to the south to be closer to his parents and his wife’s parents but this new city was their home now.

And I know a guy that actually visited the Bills but didn’t choose us because we didn’t offer enough.  So yes, that does happen but not always.  If money is what you’re looking for, then your agent works on that.  If there’s other factors that you want to consider more than money, then the agent works on that.

Now I have had these exact conversations with athletes about contracts....but I have the feeling you’re going to tell me I’m wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Weo, the agent doesn’t always tell their client to always take the money.  It doesn’t sound like you have had conversations with pro athletes but I have.  

I know one ex baseball player that specifically took A LOT less to play for the Braves.  It was simply because his favorite hunting spot was just outside of Atlanta.  In the offseason, he just wants to hunt and fish.  He’s a true redneck.  He’s retired now, fat and bog beard...no one would recognize him.

My best friend played for the Padres and Red Sox.  He didn’t make it all the way but he knows a ton of people who did.  One semi star was in his wedding.  This guy turned down much bigger money just because he has kids now, developed strong friendships and didn’t want to move anymore.  He considered moving back to the south to be closer to his parents and his wife’s parents but this new city was their home now.

And I know a guy that actually visited the Bills but didn’t choose us because we didn’t offer enough.  So yes, that does happen but not always.  If money is what you’re looking for, then your agent works on that.  If there’s other factors that you want to consider more than money, then the agent works on that.

Now I have had these exact conversations with athletes about contracts....but I have the feeling you’re going to tell me I’m wrong.

I appreciate the first hand info.

My point is that lots of guys, due to COVID, were getting one year contracts.  Milano, after an injury plagued year was possibly facing the same (perhaps other teams were not as impressed with him as a standout player as the Bills are and don't consider him a star on the rise).  I have no reason someone in his camp put out the "top dollar" comment in the beginning of February.  But as the weeks went by, I'm sure it became apparent to Team Milano that was not going to come close to happening.  Beane no doubt just sat back and watched the market.  Then he offered a multi=year deal for very good money for Milano.  I'm convinced the multi-year is what sold him on not testing the market, not just that he loves Buffalo.  Beane expressed the reality of Milano's situation to him and his agent. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

My point is that lots of guys, due to COVID, were getting one year contracts.  Milano, after an injury plagued year was possibly facing the same (perhaps other teams were not as impressed with him as a standout player as the Bills are and don't consider him a star on the rise).  I have no reason someone in his camp put out the "top dollar" comment in the beginning of February.  But as the weeks went by, I'm sure it became apparent to Team Milano that was not going to come close to happening.  Beane no doubt just sat back and watched the market.  Then he offered a multi=year deal for very good money for Milano.  I'm convinced the multi-year is what sold him on not testing the market, not just that he loves Buffalo.  Beane expressed the reality of Milano's situation to him and his agent. 

McKenzie's quote:

"For me, money didn't matter... If we were getting paid in candy, I would stay here... for the rest of my life."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don’t think Milano would have gotten a tremendous amount more but still more.

I genuinely think he loves Buffalo.  You do too.  Why can’t he?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

McKenzie's quote:

"For me, money didn't matter... If we were getting paid in candy, I would stay here... for the rest of my life."

For a backup/depth guy/special teamer, sure--this was his best bet.  He got a very generous raise  raise for one year.  If another team had offered 2 million for a year, or 1.2 over 3 years, he would have put down the candy and walked away.

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don’t think Milano would have gotten a tremendous amount more but still more.

I genuinely think he loves Buffalo.  You do too.  Why can’t he?

No I'm sure he loves it here.  In fact this is the best place in the league for him to be.

I just don't think other fans/GMs see him the way that people here do as a upper tier talent.  He's not a Pro Bowler/All Pro guy.  He's a solid player.  The Bills know that more than anyone, so he likely has value to the Bills more than any other team.

As a young player already with an injury season that cost him a chunk of the year, he knows you don't have long to make money in this league, so you maximize the money when you can.   Maybe if he didn't miss any games this year and played solid all season, the market would have been more open.  He took the security of a multi-year contract with a team he wants to be on--over more money.  That's what I think.  And it makes sense.

This isn't like Sanders taking whatever to get on a team that will possibly get him a SB ring this season before he retires...

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No I'm sure he loves it here.  In fact this is the best place in the league for him to be.

I just don't think other fans/GMs see him the way that people here do as a upper tier talent.  He's not a Pro Bowler/All Pro guy.  He's a solid player.  The Bills know that more than anyone, so he likely has value to the Bills more than any other team.

As a young player already with an injury season that cost him a chunk of the year, he knows you don't have long to make money in this league, so you maximize the money when you can.   Maybe if he didn't miss any games this year and played solid all season, the market would have been more open.  He took the security of a multi-year contract with a team he wants to be on--over more money.  That's what I think.  And it makes sense.

This isn't like Sanders taking whatever to get on a team that will possibly get him a SB ring this season before he retires...

It really seems that you know believe you know exactly what was in Milano's motivating factor and there's no way you're wrong.

If Nelson Agohlor got $13 million a year and he's at best an average WR, Milano could have cashed in too.  

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It really seems that you know believe you know exactly what was in Milano's motivating factor and there's no way you're wrong.

If Nelson Agohlor got $13 million a year and he's at best an average WR, Milano could have cashed in too.  

I clearly stated (over and over) this as my opinion (as such, by definition that implies an understanding that I could be wrong) as to why I think he took the deal in hand.  I haven't hinted that I knew exactly what was in his mind.  If some people want to believe young players looking for their second contracts would stay for love over money, that's fine for them to believe so.

WR's get different (desperate need) money.  And Agholor got 22 million (12 this year, 10 next) over 2 years, 16 guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I clearly stated (over and over) this as my opinion (as such, by definition that implies an understanding that I could be wrong) as to why I think he took the deal in hand.  I haven't hinted that I knew exactly what was in his mind.  If some people want to believe young players looking for their second contracts would stay for love over money, that's fine for them to believe so.

WR's get different (desperate need) money.  And Agholor got 22 million (12 this year, 10 next) over 2 years, 16 guaranteed.

You always present your opinion like you can't be wrong, its your reputation on here.

And no, any position gets desperate money.  There's overpaid and underpaid players at every position.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

For a backup/depth guy/special teamer, sure--this was his best bet.  He got a very generous raise  raise for one year.  If another team had offered 2 million for a year, or 1.2 over 3 years, he would have put down the candy and walked away.

Stop with this BS man.  He already specifically said the Lions offered him more and added there were others that offered him more and he had 8 teams interested.  Why do you keep going with this crap when its just simply wrong? It's like you have a one track mind that is determined to believe whatever you want whether or not the facts support it. 

FYI, the facts don't support it.

Edited by Big Turk

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You always present your opinion like you can't be wrong, its your reputation on here.

And no, any position gets desperate money.  There's overpaid and underpaid players at every position.  

That's 100% false.  I'm sure of it.

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Stop with this BS man.  He already specifically said the Lions offered him more and added there were others that offered him more and he had 8 teams interested.  Why do you keep going with this crap when its just simply wrong? It's like you have a one track mind that is determined to believe whatever you want whether or not the facts support it. 

FYI, the facts don't support it.

maybe he did.  no doubt that's what his agent would say. 

why only a year though?

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's 100% false.  I'm sure of it.

maybe he did.  no doubt that's what his agent would say. 

why only a year though?

Probably because there is likely more cap space next year and both sides know there will be more opportunity to work something else out

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Probably because there is likely more cap space next year and both sides know there will be more opportunity to work something else out

his signing doesn't challenge the cap--1.1 million, only 350k guaranteed.  He would be easy to sign for 2-3 years now.