WFT signs Curtis Samuel - 3 years, $34.5 million

14 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Nothing, I just watched all our shortcomings in the AFC Championship game.

So we came up short our first time in the AFCCG and since we haven’t signed a lot more players in the first 5 hours of free agency....Beane is a stiff?

This roster got us to 13-3 and our GM is a stiff?

16 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Also squeeked out a close one against a improving Colts team and Baltimore is always a tough matchup.....now NE also made very solid moves like it or not.

Are you looking to be negative?

How nervous were you when 2 years ago the Jets went hot in free agency?  Were they making very solid moves like it or not? 

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So we came up short our first time in the AFCCG and since we haven’t signed a lot more players in the first 5 hours of free agency....Beane is a stiff?

This roster got us to 13-3 and our GM is a stiff?

Are you looking to be negative?

How nervous were you when 2 years ago the Jets went hot in free agency?  Were they making very solid moves like it or not? 

No man really I'm not, and I know signing 3 or 4of the big money guys doesn't mean squat. Just imo, I felt we would need (after retaining our own, which my bad, credit is due there no doubt) we would need 3 to 4 Emmanuel Sanders ( I like the move) on top of a solid draft to really have a real shot at the Lombardi. I just feel we are 3 more moves ( 5-8Mish per year) to get what we all want.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

No man really I'm not, and I know signing 3 or 4of the big money guys doesn't mean squat. Just imo, I felt we would need (after retaining our own, which my bad, credit is due there no doubt) we would need 3 to 4 Emmanuel Sanders ( I like the move) on top of a solid draft to really have a real shot at the Lombardi. I just feel we are 3 more moves ( 5-8Mish per year) to get what we all want.

Yes I wanted Watt and I want them to do something more with pass rush.  I want to upgrade tight end.   I'm not going to call our GM a stiff because he's not doing everything I would do 5 hours into free agency.  We know the guy is working.  Not every player wants to come to Buffalo.  Did you not see the article where Kyle Juszczyk admitted he didn't come to Buffalo because his GF didn't want to live there?

I thought when the Bills start winning, they'll be less negativity.  Guess not.

Every time I see a WFT in a post title I first read it as WTF - and wonder what the incredulitity is about

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes I wanted Watt and I want them to do something more with pass rush.  I want to upgrade tight end.   I'm not going to call our GM a stiff because he's not doing everything I would do 5 hours into free agency.  We know the guy is working.  Not every player wants to come to Buffalo.  Did you not see the article where Kyle Juszczyk admitted he didn't come to Buffalo because his GF didn't want to live there?

Not negative. Just see a chance to become something really special and feel a need to be a bit( not wack spending) more active. Yes we are winning now but I feel we can "win it" but we gotta go out and grab it more than we are as of right now. Maybe we can pounce "when the dust settles" but I just feel we can't count on that for certain. I'd rather take our shots at little earlier instead of hoping stuff falls into our laps later.

5 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Not negative. Just see a chance to become something really special and feel a need to be a bit( not wack spending) more active. Yes we are winning now but I feel we can "win it" but we gotta go out and grab it more than we are as of right now. Maybe we can pounce "when the dust settles" but I just feel we can't count on that for certain. I'd rather take our shots at little earlier instead of hoping stuff falls into our laps later.

So you're just under the assumption we aren't taking shots because you haven't seen the internet reports?  So you think the only two players we were interested in were Haack and Sanders.  The players we didn't sign, we weren't interested in?

41 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You take offense to an exaggeration..........then you follow with that........citing a specific example from an event 4 offseasons ago as evidence?

Yeah Beane is not terrible but do you think Thuney gave the SB favorite Chiefs a discount with that contract?

Money still talks.

Beane nickel and dimed the team into a tighter cap situation than a team with a QB on a rookie deal should be.

Done with a terrible 2018 UFA class and then a steady wave of special teams and backup player over-pays and decisions to hold onto players a year or two too long versus a year too soon.

Got over reliant on free agency for depth.

They had the fewest own-drafted and developed players of all of the playoff teams.    

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They had the fewest own-drafted and developed players of all of the playoff teams.

Come on man... you know why this is... 

This is just dumb to include. It has nothing to do with this regime’s drafting or organizational philosophy and everything to do the guys before them. It is unnecessarily misleading. 

Now they’re retaining their own with Dawkins, White, Milano and because of that don’t have money to spend so you’re complaining about that out of one side of your mouth and then out of the other side of your mouth you complaining that they don’t have enough of their own drafted players on the roster? What do you want? 

Over reliant on free agency for depth... but then when they end up with depth players or non-superstars you complain because they drafted depth players... and the Bills have drafted as many if not more difference makers than any other team in the league. 

I’m not disputing cap space is tight.. there have been missteps... you’re consistent with that... but stay consistent with everything.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Come on man... you know why this is... 

This is just dumb to include. It has nothing to do with this regime’s drafting or organizational philosophy and everything to do the guys before them. It is unnecessarily misleading. 

Now they’re retaining their own with Dawkins, White, Milano and because of that don’t have money to spend so you’re complaining about that out of one side of your mouth and then out of the other side of your mouth you complaining that they don’t have enough of their own drafted players on the roster? What do you want? 

Over reliant on free agency for depth... but then when they end up with depth players or non-superstars you complain because they drafted depth players... and the Bills have drafted as many if not more difference makers than any other team in the league. 

I’m not disputing cap space is tight.. there have been missteps... you’re consistent with that... but stay consistent with everything.

First of all.......easy with the language.........you can get flagged for less than "dumb".

And I do know why they are in a tight spot despite having a QB on a rookie deal.........and it's a combination of things.

Just some examples.........in addition to the terrible 2018 free agent class.........they've spent liberally over and over on bad backup quality OL........a bunch of special teamers that have blocked developmental spots..........underperforming former Carolina Panthers(they've burned like $30M and counting in cap space on KB and Josh Norman and Mario Addison, for instance).

You can look at it like......."well it's handy to have a Spencer Long around"...........but it's also why they don't have Wyatt Teller.    At some point you gotta' be able to succeed with less experienced,  expensive,  low ceiling players and use your depth positions on players who can be developed into good starters over time. 

Understand.........the basis for comparison isn't the worst teams in the league anymore..........the reason the other playoff teams had more home grown talent is because its hard to sustain the kind of model the Bills have used.    

AFC playoff teams that remain serious contenders like Tennessee, Indianapolis, Baltimore and KC have had excellent rosters for longer than the Bills........so the Bills really shouldn't have less HGT than them. 

I'm not assuming the Bills won't.........they have the highest paid personnel department in the league and they have a ton of continuity in those offices.......they should be PRIMED to have a great draft and UDFA and find a bunch of value in the late stages of FA.   

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Understand.........the basis for comparison isn't the worst teams in the league anymore..........the reason the other playoff teams had more home grown talent is because its hard to sustain the kind of model the Bills have used.    

AFC playoff teams that remain serious contenders like Tennessee, Indianapolis, Baltimore and KC have had excellent rosters for longer than the Bills........so the Bills really shouldn't have less HGT than them. 

I'm not assuming the Bills won't.........they have the highest paid personnel department in the league and they have a ton of continuity in those offices.......they should be PRIMED to have a great draft and UDFA and find a bunch of value in the late stages of FA.   

Can you cite the homegrown talent numbers for me please? I’ve seen you reference it numerous times but I’ve never actually seen the numbers. 

When McDermott and Beane came in a stripped down the few remaining draft picks from the previous regime... that obviously had an impact on those numbers. Same people have been running the show in Baltimore and KC for a decade now... Tennessee and Indy never made the decision got a full blown tear down. 

It’s not like they’re on the same footing as Baltimore and KC when it comes to how long they’ve been competing and they took a different approach from Tennessee and Indianapolis because they were also at a different point in time... both had their “franchise QB” when McDermott and Beane arrived 4 years ago... they weren’t rebuilding. There were decent draft picks from true predecessors... guys worth holding on to... you can’t say the same about Buffalo. 

Edited by JGMcD2

21 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

I don't understand some of the obsession with Samuel on this board.  Yes he he has speed and is good, but still is just an average receiver.  Not worth what "The Football Team" paid - especially in our cap situation

he’s very fast and perceived as versatile - not in a sense that he’s a complete WR like Diggs for example, but because he’s useful in the running game as well.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

he’s very fast and perceived as versatile - not in a sense that he’s a complete WR like Diggs for example, but because he’s useful in the running game as well.

Completely agree, but not worth almost $12mil a year for where we are at with our current WRs.  I would love someone like him (and we need speed)....but not at that price

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Can you cite the homegrown talent numbers for me please? I’ve seen you reference it numerous times but I’ve never actually seen the numbers. 

When McDermott and Beane came in a stripped down the few remaining draft picks from the previous regime... that obviously had an impact on those numbers. Same people have been running the show in Baltimore and KC for a decade now... Tennessee and Indy never made the decision got a full blown tear down. 

It’s not like they’re on the same footing as Baltimore and KC when it comes to how long they’ve been competing and they took a different approach from Tennessee and Indianapolis because they were also at a different point in time... both had their “franchise QB” when McDermott and Beane arrived 4 years ago... they weren’t rebuilding. There were decent draft picks from true predecessors... guys worth holding on to... you can’t say the same about Buffalo. 

No.  I trust the network statisticians that gave us the stat.   If you want to claim it's untrue then you are welcome to dispute their information.

Blaming the choice to re-tool the team the way they did for why they are up against the cap after just 4 seasons.......and without a QB on a big contract......is what you could call a "reason but not an excuse".  

That's when one can get into the "well if they just selected Mahomes or Watson they'd have had extra draft capital and wouldn't have needed to sign so many free agents" kinda' square-one hindsight which I don't care to do.

Things change fast in the NFL.......after 4 seasons and 5 offseasons........most NFL rosters are nearly completely flipped anyway.......so if they are still harmed by those 2017 and 2018 pro personnel decisions then it's not the justification that you may think it is. 

9 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Completely agree, but not worth almost $12mil a year for where we are at with our current WRs.  I would love someone like him (and we need speed)....but not at that price

i’d agree with you I don’t think his actual production up to this point warrants that deal.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No.  I trust the network statisticians that gave us the stat.   If you want to claim it's untrue then you are welcome to dispute their information.

I’m not disputing the stat... I’m asking to see the stat. I’ve never seen it... I never said it’s fake or wrong... I literally just want to see it. You’ve mentioned it various times and never actually produced the source... how am I supposed to know anything about that other than taking your word... you just say “network statisticians” is that ESPN, Fox, PFF, CBS? Where can I find it to examine it myself? You can’t even tell me the source? 

That’s what seems odd... not the actual information itself. If you can’t provide evidence then you’re just spouting off about something with no proof... how am I supposed to believe your claim or not without seeing it for myself directly from the source? 

How can I dispute their information if I don’t even know where to find it? 

And then you won’t even cite it... that’s just you being difficult and/or irresponsible... why would you hide the information from me if I want to see it? 

Edited by JGMcD2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You take offense to an exaggeration..........then you follow with that........citing a specific example from an event 4 offseasons ago as evidence?

Yeah Beane is not terrible but do you think Thuney gave the SB favorite Chiefs a discount with that contract?

Money still talks.

Beane nickel and dimed the team into a tighter cap situation than a team with a QB on a rookie deal should be.

Done with a terrible 2018 UFA class and then a steady wave of special teams and backup player over-pays and decisions to hold onto players a year or two too long versus a year too soon.

Can’t argue with that.

the chiefs are getting WAY more bang for their big bucks.  

chiefs top Non QB contracts:

Kelce- best TE

Tyreek- top 5 WR

Chris Jones- top 2-3 DT

frank Clark- top 10 DE

mathieu- top 5 S

thuney- top 5-7 G

bills top Non QB contracts:

tredavious-  top 5-10 cb (imo)

diggs- top 5 WR

dawkins- top 10 LT

milano- top 10-15 off ball LB

Morse- top 10ish C

Hughes- top 20-25 DE

addison - top 650 DL

these next couple off-seasons are ridiculously important regards to sustaining the championship aspirations for the next 5-10 years like we think we’re lined up for

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Proof that a fanbase can become so jaded that they never recover.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Big signing for them.

Now could they please find a name for themselves?

Yeah it’s WTF, I mean WFT.   Sounds like a good signing for them.  He’s solid, but for those who wanted us to take a run, that’s silly.  We already have Diggs.  If we don’t have the $ for an Edge Rusher or TE, we’re not going to spend extravagantly on one of the two deepest positions. 

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Big signing for them.

Now could they please find a name for themselves?

Idk I kind of like The Washington Football Team Football Team. I certainly prefer it to Redwolves (what the hell is a redwolf?) or Redtails. I could get behind the Washington Wolves, though. Not sure why they have to have the "red" prefix.

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Money still talks.

Money still talks which is why Milano, Williams and Feliciano went and tested the market.  Sometimes it's not 100% about money.

Do you think that Mitch Morse gave us a discount with his contract that he signed 2 years ago?  Oh no, I can give an example too.

I wasn't taken offense, I was questioning his replies.  

That example came out just a few months ago in an article.  Are you under the impression that this is the only time someone chose another more desirable city over Buffalo?

You have been negative on Beane since he traded Watkins.  Then we find out last year in his own article that he was a drunk and didn't want to be in Buffalo....you still criticize Beane for that?

Do you think Beane has sense enough to not sign a 25-26 year old running back?  Because like you said, 26 is over the hill for RB's now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Blaming the choice to re-tool the team the way they did for why they are up against the cap after just 4 seasons.......and without a QB on a big contract......is what you could call a "reason but not an excuse".  

That's when one can get into the "well if they just selected Mahomes or Watson they'd have had extra draft capital and wouldn't have needed to sign so many free agents" kinda' square-one hindsight which I don't care to do.

Things change fast in the NFL.......after 4 seasons and 5 offseasons........most NFL rosters are nearly completely flipped anyway.......so if they are still harmed by those 2017 and 2018 pro personnel decisions then it's not the justification that you may think it is. 

To the first bolded part, that's not what he asked.  Please provide the information so we can see it.

And no, most NFL rosters aren't completely flipped in 4-5 seasons/offseasons.  They have changes for sure but not completely flipped. 

Saying that the Bills have mismanaged their CAP, I don't think that's completely fair. The NFL lowered the salary cap because of COVID. Beane even said himself, he would have made some moves differently if he knew the cap would go down. If the CAP had stayed the same or went over 200 Million, that would have been at least 16 million more to work with. Add in the fact the money the Bills saved by cutting QJ and JB (That could have been done still even if the CAP did go down). I wont try to speculate on what the cost of signing anyone would have been for resigning or FAs if the CAP wasn't lowered.

Anyways, if you consider the 16 million that was dropped and those two releases, along with the CAP rollover the Bills had, then they would have been in a pretty good spot IMO.

10 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@BADOLBILZ, if you're going to state that the other playoff teams have more "homegrown talent", seems like a reasonable ask to identify the source. If it's "network statisticians" responsible for it, which one?      

If nothing else, I'm curious as to how "homegrown talent" is being defined.   A statement like that can't be discussed well when we don't even know what it means.  Is it only players we draft?  Players we initially sign as UDFA?  Does a young player who is signed as an UDFA like Boettger and traded for the summer of his rookie year before he's played a down in the NFL count?  How about a guy like McKenzie, who was waived after his rookie season and who has clearly developed a ton since he's been in Buffalo?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@BADOLBILZ, if you're going to state that the other playoff teams have more "homegrown talent", seems like a reasonable ask to identify the source. If it's "network statisticians" responsible for it, which one?      

If nothing else, I'm curious as to how "homegrown talent" is being defined.   A statement like that can't be discussed well when we don't even know what it means.  Is it only players we draft?  Players we initially sign as UDFA?  Does a young player who is signed as an UDFA like Boettger and traded for the summer of his rookie year before he's played a down in the NFL count?  How about a guy like McKenzie, who was waived after his rookie season and who has clearly developed a ton since he's been in Buffalo?

Home grown = drafted or UDFA acquisitions in their draft year.

Me trying to re-trace the stat provided during the playoff tv broadcasts that hundreds of thousands of Bills fans heard isn't worth my time............the stat was met with surprise by some at our game parties who think this is a very young team(it's in fact one of the oldest rosters.... look it up;)).

And we also know how true it rings and that the people who disagree with it will say it makes no difference even if I list the number for every NFL team and the Bills happened to be last.

After much disagreement when presented, I once spent two hours combing thru tape of games to prove that CBS provided a graphical stat early in 2015 showing that LeSean McCoy had the lowest yards per touch in the NFL among qualified players in 2014.    Found it,  posted the screen shot.  Nary a comment,  retraction,  re-consideration or apology followed.....so if you fella's want to insist that it's false......complain your little chili pepper hearts out......I promise you I don't give a single *****.:thumbsup:

When McBeane came in they chose to clear the decks of the prior regimes draft picks............then they have traded up many times within drafts, limiting the amount of incoming draft picks..........and they have moved on from draft picks that performed promisingly,  notably Wyatt Teller, to save room for well paid veteran reserves with short futures.........and they have heavily backfilled the roster with free agents.......most notably veteran special teamers.

The paragraph above is a formula for not having a lot of homegrown talent on your active roster.   It's not a big deal if you are developing your own replacements for players who hit free agency.   Thus far, that hasn't been a strong suit.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Home grown = drafted or UDFA acquisitions in their draft year.

So would Boettger count or no?  McKenzie?  Not disputing, just trying to understand...and is it counting the starters, or the entire roster?

Me trying to re-trace the stat provided during the playoff tv broadcasts that hundreds of thousands of Bills fans heard isn't worth my time............the stat was met with surprise by some at our game parties who think this is a very young team(it's in fact one of the oldest rosters.... look it up;)).

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say "I heard it on the broadcast during the (whateveritwas) game and that's the only source I have"

I don't think it's reasonable to bring up a stat and then say "it isn't worth my time to give you a source" and imply that someone is claiming it's untrue, when as far as I can tell they're (reasonably) asking for a source.

I'm not disputing it myself, I'm just interested in understanding what it means.

And we also know how true it rings

I don't know how true anything rings until I understand what the criteria are and understand it. 

so if you fella's want to insist that it's false......

There you go again.  Why do this?  Who has 'insisted that it's false"?  It's rather a bad faith argument tactic to allege people have said something they haven't, don't you think?  At best, it lowers the quality of the discussion, assuming discussion is what you're here for.

When McBeane came in they chose to clear the decks of the prior regimes draft picks............

Very true, which is why I'm not disputing it...I find it reasonable...in addition to clearing the decks, Bills before McDermott and Beane were also IIRC at the bottom of the league for keeping their own drafted talent IIRC, I seem to recall Tim Graham doing an article about this in TBN as an indictment of Whaley.

But I do want to understand what the criteria are so I can better understand what it means.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Money still talks which is why Milano, Williams and Feliciano went and tested the market.  Sometimes it's not 100% about money.

Do you think that Mitch Morse gave us a discount with his contract that he signed 2 years ago?  Oh no, I can give an example too.

I wasn't taken offense, I was questioning his replies.  

That example came out just a few months ago in an article.  Are you under the impression that this is the only time someone chose another more desirable city over Buffalo?

You have been negative on Beane since he traded Watkins.  Then we find out last year in his own article that he was a drunk and didn't want to be in Buffalo....you still criticize Beane for that?

Do you think Beane has sense enough to not sign a 25-26 year old running back?  Because like you said, 26 is over the hill for RB's now.

I have not been negative on Beane.    I've been objective.   I literally gave a thumbs up to every one of his first round picks which is something I've never been able to do with any previous Bills GM.   I have given positive feedback on many, many moves.   But the focus around here is centered on the negative and thusly that's what ends up driving discussion.   And there have definitely been bad decisions which I have been critical of.   Those are what you recall.    Often I cite that you don't need to make good decisions all the time to be good.......so bad ones aren't necessarily mortal wounds.   But still, any time I criticize a move I'm called a hater.

To illustrate.....I often bring up my push for the Bills to draft Aaron Donald here on TSW........because I only actually start a new thread about once per year.    I think I got like 5 responses in that entire thread.   If I posted a blank face emoji in response to a Beane move I'd get more responses than that.:rolleyes:  

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have not been negative on Beane.    I've been objective.   I literally gave a thumbs up to every one of his first round picks which is something I've never been able to do with any previous Bills GM.   I have given positive feedback on many, many moves.   But the focus around here is centered on the negative and thusly that's what ends up driving discussion.   And there have definitely been bad decisions which I have been critical of.   Those are what you recall.    Often I cite that you don't need to make good decisions all the time to be good.......so bad ones aren't necessarily mortal wounds.   But still, any time I criticize a move I'm called a hater.

To illustrate.....I often bring up my push for the Bills to draft Aaron Donald here on TSW........because I only actually start a new thread about once per year.    I think I got like 5 responses in that entire thread.   If I posted a blank face emoji in response to a Beane move I'd get more responses than that.:rolleyes:  

It's because you argue more of your negative points like you can't be possibly wrong.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And we also know how true it rings and that the people who disagree with it will say it makes no difference even if I list the number for every NFL team and the Bills happened to be last.

I didn’t hear it... that’s why I am asking for where it came from. When I initially asked for you to cite it... I had no idea of it was your own individual research, if it came from an article, a TV broadcast, a podcast, a radio show or from a leaked source inside the NFL. Why was it so unreasonable for me to ask about where it came from... when you had provided zero indication as to where you got it from? 

I’m not looking to disagree... I’m sitting here listening to your points and trying to put everything together... without seeing the information how can I make any reasonable conclusions... right or wrong? It only helps you to provide me with the information if it’s reasonably available... all you had to say was that you heard it on the broadcast... not accuse me of being unreasonable and calling you a liar... neither of which I did. 

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Found it,  posted the screen shot.  Nary a comment,  retraction,  re-consideration or apology followed.....so if you fella's want to insist that it's false......complain your little chili pepper hearts out......I promise you I don't give a single *****.:thumbsup:

Again... where did I ever insist anything other than the fact that I wanted you to cite the source? So because I want to see information for myself to better understand what we’re discussing... I’m claiming that your statement is false? 

I better never ask a car salesman for information on a vehicle I’m purchasing... or a realtor for information on the home I’m purchasing... shoot me if I read a bill proposed by politicians from cover to cover as opposed to just believing them outright that it’s going to benefit me... God forbid I want to see information to form my own opinion. 

Edited by JGMcD2

13 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

I don't understand some of the obsession with Samuel on this board.  Yes he he has speed and is good, but still is just an average receiver.  Not worth what "The Football Team" paid - especially in our cap situation

This guy has Antwaan Randle-El (Who coincidentally also went to WASH as a FA) written all over him.  He’s leaving a situation with creative coaches and a good supporting cast..doesn’t usually translate when you change teams.