Khalil Mack vs. Danielle Hunter. Who do we like more?

Khalil Mack or Danielle Hunter?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Khalil Mack or Danielle Hunter?

Trading for Khalil Mack definitely doesn't fall in line with Beane saying we won't be players in the off-season bc we don't have the space and that we'd be lucky to be able to keep our big FA's (which we did). Also, if this was a possibility - we'd have outright released Addison to save money. Not restructure him to stay. Probably would have been in on Yannick Ngakoue, Carl Lawson, and/or Matt Judon because it wouldn't cost us multiple firsts. Mack would be a bigger trade than Diggs. 

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

Because you don't know how much he would contribute to that.  You are assuming that if the Bills win and he's on the team, he's the difference maker.  He could be, he and he very well may not be.    His numbers show him declining in production, he'll be 31 years old during next years season, maybe he finds his ALL PRO form and he maybe he doesn't.    He hasn't played at an ALL PRO level the last couple years, he's been a good player, top 20% and in my view, you don't trade an aging player with declining statistics who may have another 1-3 more good years for a first rounder.  

Plus, you don't know what the 1st rounder would bring the table, part of your hypothesis doesn't take that into account.   

If they did trade for Mack, then I'd support it because I generally trust what Beane and McD do, but if you ask me would I trade a 1st for him, my answer would be no.

yeah my bad.....I’m assuming that if we traded for Khalil Mack and we won the super bowl that he would contribute to us winning.  I believe he would contribute to us winning.  He doesn’t have to be “the difference”.  He has to be “a difference”. Better than Mario Addison difference.  If he plays better than Mario Addison did in the playoffs last year, than he made a difference.  In my heart....I believe that Mack would play better than Addison did in last years playoffs. 

I’m done here.  This is becoming a stupid back and forth.  

Mack’s cap hit this year if traded would be $1.275m to his new team.  That’s also the only money that’d have to be paid to him this year by his new team.  That’s not a typo.  The Bears converted his salary to a bonus to get under the cap.  Unless Pace is trying to sabotage his way out of town, Mack isn’t going anywhere.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

Both players are great.  I picked Mack.  His contract is a known quantity and I think Chicago is desperate to clear contracts and accumulate picks, whether it's for another shot at Wilson or to move up in the draft. 

I don't think NFL players with neck injuries have long post-injury careers.  Hunter probably has 2, maybe 3 years under the very best of circumstances.  That'd be just fine if you were absorbing an existing contract with that sort of timeline and where the current team has paid out some of it.

In this scenario, however, not only will you part with some pretty significant assets in a trade,  you also now have to navigate negotiations with this player who wants his first big new contract.   The agents would negotiate hard to get a lot of that money paid out in year 1.   If he'd have to retire after just one season due to injury, that's a mountain range of dead cap for as far as the eye can see.  

Edited by dpberr

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Is it not true?  If your analysis doesn’t include winning a super bowl, than it’s incomplete. That would be the purpose of trading a first rd pick for Mack?  

You wouldn’t trade a 1st rd pick for a SB?  It’s no sure thing but it’s going for it.  The Bucs went for it last season.  They won the super bowl.  The pats went for it several years.  They won several Super Bowls.  The Eagles went for it in 18, they won a SB.  The chiefs traded a 1st for Frank Clark.  They went for it and won a super bowl. The Broncos went and got Demarcus ware, two years later, they win the super bowl.  These are the moves that championship team make.  Sitting and waiting while everyone else goes for keeps your trophy case bare.

Emmanuel Sanders isn’t going for it.  There will be more moves.  How far will the moves move our needle?

So?

You give excellent examples in Frank Clark and Demarcus Ware, players who put their teams over the top. That would be our one glaring, missing ingredient immediately filled, and by a home town UB boy nonetheless. Story book SB ending. The other side of the argument is a team like 'Da Bears who went for it by signing Mack. Didn't turn out so well. True, they had Mitchell Trubisky at QB but we don't have a large sample size for Josh. He had his first monster season largely in empty stadiums. Is it possible that when we go back to playing in front of 75,000 fans that we'll see more of Sugar high Josh or more human playoff Josh? I certainly hope that's not the case but it's not out of the realm of the possible. To be honest, I would have been happy with Carl Lawson rather than the high end guys but I'm still hopeful there will be cuts that McBeane could pounce on.

8 minutes ago, 2ForMacAdoo said:

You give excellent examples in Frank Clark and Demarcus Ware, players who put their teams over the top. That would be our one glaring, missing ingredient immediately filled, and by a home town UB boy nonetheless. Story book SB ending. The other side of the argument is a team like 'Da Bears who went for it by signing Mack. Didn't turn out so well. True, they had Mitchell Trubisky at QB but we don't have a large sample size for Josh. He had his first monster season largely in empty stadiums. Is it possible that when we go back to playing in front of 75,000 fans that we'll see more of Sugar high Josh or more human playoff Josh? I certainly hope that's not the case but it's not out of the realm of the possible. To be honest, I would have been happy with Carl Lawson rather than the high end guys but I'm still hopeful there will be cuts that McBeane could pounce on.

I think of that often.  Great point.  He very well may regress next season with crowds likely back in action.  He looked a lot like 2019 Josh in the AFCCG when the chiefs had a crowd.  The titans had a small crowd when we played in Nashville earlier in the season too. 

hard to say.  Either way....I think we saw enough to know that we have a chance to win it all with the proper additions.  Whether or not we are willing to trade more 1st rd picks for quick fixes, we’ll have to wait and see.  I just hope that we make power moves at some point. Whether it’s this year or in the near future.  Diggs was a huge move and moved us into the upper echelon. Do we need more moves like it to get us over the top?  🤷🏻‍♂️

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Mack’s cap hit this year if traded would be $1.275m to his new team.  That’s also the only money that’d have to be paid to him this year by his new team.  That’s not a typo.  The Bears converted his salary to a bonus to get under the cap.  Unless Pace is trying to sabotage his way out of town, Mack isn’t going anywhere.  

This is true, but I feel like at this point in our quest for the playoffs, the trade would involve a 1st and maybe a couple of 2nds. They may want to go all in for a QB. 

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Mack has the stronger resume and is more versatile.  Hunter is younger but has the injury scare. Trading for either will involve our first rounder at a minimum. I am honestly torn between the two. It appeared Mack was the no-brainer but age is a big deal.

Big question is how do you get him with his cap number

The Bears are desperate to make a splash... on Chicago WGN news tonight Dan Roan said the Bears offered 3 firsts , 1 third and 2 starters for Russell Wilson before Seattle said no and they ended up with Dalton..   Sounds like they are in wheeler dealer mode... 

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

We're not getting either, so what's the point of this thread?

Dream crusher,