young pass rusher, improving every year 

generates pressure and stops the run 

what isn’t to like about this deal... some had him at 17 to 19m price tag

great signing by the jets 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

It was never going to happen here after we signed Milano, Williams, Feliciano 

It may never have been going to happen, but that is not why. Just look to the Chiefs who renegotiated contracts--we have the ability to do that too and it's in the interest of the players. Also, the 36m over cap Rams just signed a guy for 21m (ok, that one kind of broke my brain). Teams can find a way. There is still potentially 20-30m the Bills could spend if they choose. 

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

These early FA deals are really inflated. There is a lot of value out there still. 

Can't help but feel this is what the Bills are doing. Perhaps the Dolphins as well. More often than not the team that goes on a spree is not the team that makes a big advance the following year. They don't call it Snydering for nothing (ok, just me?). Right now, it's kind of like the Patriots and Bills have been Freaky Friday'd. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And hence the reason some were preaching to let some of those 3 walk....

Some want to preach that the world is flat in an elevator.  That is wrong on so many levels.

So are the preachers on the wall that could not get into Seminary School with a sizeable bribe and killing competitors for slot.

Would have loved him, but it seemed unlikely with our first few signings.

And the question was always how much he would cost. At that #, I don't think we'd have touched him even if we easily had the money.

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is you @Virgil

Haaa!  Nice one. Yes!!!

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Better than Dupree, Yannick and possibly Judon. Young pass rusher entering his prime; this is a pretty darn good deal

Don’t understand the downvotes at all 

it’s like some on this board have no clue about how important pass rush is but we celebrate like crazy about Milano lol clueless some are 

22 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

well done ok GIF by funk

26 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Would have loved him, but it seemed unlikely with our first few signings.

And the question was always how much he would cost. At that #, I don't think we'd have touched him even if we easily had the money.

Haaa!  Nice one. Yes!!!

Exactly right 

we sign a linebacker who can’t pass rush and is marginal Against the run 

they sign a premier young pass rusher for what is looking like really good value and we have boneheads on here saying they can have it lol 

Lawson > Milano all day every day, one plays a premier position and plays it well and is young... it’s really that simple 

how is binging back the same defense with no pass rush help going to beat the chiefs... I’ll help you it won’t 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Don’t understand the downvotes at all 

it’s like some on this board have no clue about how important pass rush is but we celebrate like crazy about Milano lol clueless some are 

Exactly right 

we sign a linebacker who can’t pass rush and is marginal Against the run 

they sign a premier young pass rusher for what is looking like really good value and we have boneheads on here saying they can have it lol 

Lawson > Milano all day every day, one plays a premier position and plays it well and is young... it’s really that simple 

how is binging back the same defense with no pass rush help going to beat the chiefs... I’ll help you it won’t 

This is simply a poor take. Milano is a very good pass rusher when asked to do it. He's good against the run too, extremely instinctual. Milano has a very strong all around game.

The comparison doesn't make any sense, as they play different positions and have entirely different responsibilities. For what they each do, Milano's better. But what Lawson was signed to do ... rush the passer on every pass play ... is better paid. Lawson appears to be a good young player on the upswing, who gets to the QB but hasn't gotten a lot of sacks. 

These two moves have nothing to do with each other and there's no reason to compare them beyond an interest in irritating people. Another dissimilarity is that Lawson (not the 9th best DE in the league) got paid the 9th highest salary. He's overpaid (common for 1st tier FAs, but still overpaid) whereas Milano gave a very signficant hometown discount.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Vomit 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Owned... tell me again why we don’t want this guy at this valuation but Milano at 11M is acceptable 

I’ll tell you why, homerism pure and simple 

hats off to the jets great signing 

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

This is simply a poor take. Milano is a very good pass rusher when asked to do it. He's good against the run too, extremely instinctual. Milano has a very strong all around game.

The comparison doesn't make any sense, as they play different positions and have entirely different responsibilities. For what they each do, Milano's better. But what Lawson was signed to do ... rush the passer on every pass play ... is better paid.

These two moves have nothing to do with each other and there's no reason to compare them beyond an interest in irritating people.

you are prioritizing what you are paying.... it’s a simple concept 

Use 11M On a coverage linebacker who is pretty good but far from elite or pay a bit more for a premier position and edge player who gets after the QB 

the comp Isn’t related to Lawson vs Milano, the comp is one position is much more valuable than the other and Lawson plays it

i would also disagree with your take that Milano is better at his position than Lawson and I also don’t see the good run defender you see 

I think Milano is celebrated here because he was picked late and exceeded and became a good player but he isn’t anything close to Lawson in real value

quite simply this defense was pretty Bad for a lot of the year and got roasted in two playoff games but sure keep

selling Milano 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Owned... tell me again why we don’t want this guy at this valuation but Milano at 11M is acceptable 

I’ll tell you why, homerism pure and simple 

hats off to the jets great signing 

you are prioritizing what you are paying.... it’s a simple concept 

Use 11M On a coverage linebacker who is pretty good but far from elite or pay a bit more for a premier position and edge player who gets after the QB 

the comp Isn’t related to Lawson vs Milano, the comp is one position is much more valuable than the other and Lawson plays it

i would also disagree with your take that Milano is better at his position than Lawson and I also don’t see the good run defender you see 

I think Milano is celebrated here because he was picked late and exceeded and became a good player but he isn’t anything close to Lawson in real value

quite simply this defense was pretty Bad for a lot of the year and got roasted in two playoff games but sure keep

selling Milano 

Oh, assuming you're not trolling, you're clueless. Fair enough. Not worth answering, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

He is worth every penny 

young pass rusher, improving every year 

generates pressure and stops the run 

what isn’t to like about this deal... some had him at 17 to 19m price tag

great signing by the jets 

How do you figure?

Lawson’s best year with sacks was his rookie year by far - he has not been getting better - he has been getting more snaps with less production per snap.  2019 was more productive than last year as he had 5.0 sacks on 477 defensive snaps. He had more tackles for loss and played better all around.  

In 16 games in 2020 and well over 120 additional snaps - he got 0.5 more sacks than Mario Addison for the Bills. (A guy you and several other posters are killing for his production).  He also had less overall tackles and less tackles for loss than Addison in all of those extra snaps.

He is younger than Addison, but he is getting paid more than 2x what Addison is paid for less production (both career averages and last season per snap).

Look I liked Lawson and would of been fine with him on the Bills at a reasonable contract - around Addison/Murphy level.  At nearly 2x at - his pass rushing is not good enough to warrant that kind of money. Heck Lawson had fewer sacks than Shaq Lawson did for the Bills in 1/2 the snaps in 2019.

Watching the Bengals- he was noticeably on a few occasions, but he never popped.  He was Shaq Lawson, Mario Addison type player - getting push - making a few plays, but rarely flat out beating a tackle 1:1.  He is a good player, but I think the Jets way over paid - same as they did with Corey Davis - a speed guy with questionable hands.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1