It looks like Bills Management thinks it is the RBs.

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

I'm interested in Hunt for the right price, but this Lindsay/Wallace scenario you propose.....

Coming out of college.......Lindsay at 4.39 and Hunt at 4.62...........that's almost a quarter second difference and we've seen it with Lindsay's highlights.........he looks like the fastest back in the league in the open field.

We've come to accept 4.5 as fast for RB...........I want real speed.........if he's healthy he's that.

Not that his career trajectory is a lot better than Hunt's.........to me they are both guys who put up huge rookie years and are likely to flame out pretty quick..........but I prefer the cheaper,  faster back in a walk year.....always a huge factor...........over the slower, more expensive one who knows that if he blows up the team will just pick up his roster bonus and he won't get a chance to get a big pay day.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Believe it or not, some people on this board still think he’s descent.

I will never understand it. 

That would be "think he is decent" and I do.  He is not Barry Sanders, but he can be effective as he was in his rookie year at 5+ yards/carry.  

Watch his rookie highlights and tell me he can't be at least part of the answer with decent blocking.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

That would be "think he is decent" and I do.  He is not Barry Sanders, but he can be effective as he was in his rookie year at 5+ yards/carry.  

Watch his rookie highlights and tell me he can't be at least part of the answer with decent blocking.

Ughhhhh. I’ve had so many singletary arguments where I’ve brought up so many stats that show his rookie year stats were inflated.

I don’t wanna go down the rabbit hole again.

If you think he’s descent then you’re entitled to your opinion , but to answer your question, no he shouldn’t be part of the answer at RB IMO

6 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since the season ended the debate has been between those of us, myself included, who think the problem with the running game and the team's abandonment of it is because our RBs aren't very good and those who have blamed it on the O-line.  Well, so far based on the re-signing of Feliciano and Williams, it looks pretty obvious to me that Beane, who in his end of season PC indicated he wasn't pleased with the running game, doesn't think the O-line was the problem.

I don't think that quite follows. 

It's very clear that the OL was the problem at times.  But Beane and the coaches and staff might have pored over the film and concluded that most of the OL problem was on Winters, or on Boettger, or affected by the injuries Feliciano and Ford were playing with.  They might feel that an OL of Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Mongo-Winters that has some time to practice together and gel in that sequence might be an improvement on the various permutations we played last year.

They might also be looking to draft an OL and sign a "middle class" or lower-tier FA they believe could be a sleeper, to add competition.

• Agree 1

never saw much running room for either of our backs for the entirety of the season.    dont think its solely on them.

never seemed to be any holes,  backs getting touched of having to break a tackle in the backfield constantly.   mbe it was bad scheme,  mbe the oline is only good at pass pro.  mbe its both.   mbe the backs arent confident running behind our line because they know there wont be a hole,  and gonna have to dodge or break a tackle immediately.  which causes them to hesitate even more.

just my 2 cents.

resigning isnt always an indicator that something else is the problem,  Beane may be resigning because,  there isnt anything better out there at a reasonable price,  so u resign what u know and work towards getting better at run blocking.

Edited by bigduke6

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since the season ended the debate has been between those of us, myself included, who think the problem with the running game and the team's abandonment of it is because our RBs aren't very good and those who have blamed it on the O-line.  Well, so far based on the re-signing of Feliciano and Williams, it looks pretty obvious to me that Beane, who in his end of season PC indicated he wasn't pleased with the running game, doesn't think the O-line was the problem.  The starting 5 are basically locked in with the exception of LG, which will be either Ford or Boettger.  So IMO Beane knows our RBs suck and will be looking to upgrade at RB, not O-line, either in free agency or the draft.  

The lamest excuse I've seen for not upgrading the running back position is that Beane would have to admit he made a mistake drafting a RB in the 3rd round in each of the last 2 drafts.  Beane doesn't seem to be the type whose pride would cause him to keep the status quo at a position of need just because he drafted two 3rd round RBs.  If the Bills were so satisfied with Singletary & Moss as the top 2 RBs, they would have never tried to sign Bell in the middle of this past season.  

The o-line did a poor job last year on run-blocking.

But this team is going to be built mostly around passing. And they did a great job last year at that. 

In the same press conference you're referring to he said, "The blocking has to be better." You're taking that to mean that the guys weren't good enough ... but it could easily mean that they need another year under their new line coach, or that they have to further prioritize run blocking this year, even with the same guys. More, Cody Ford missed most of the year. Just getting him back is likely to be a good improvement in run blocking. Ford is a people-mover.

And no, you're right, he wouldn't keep things status quo because he drafted two 3rds. But he's made it clear he's reasonably happy with those 3rds, and that's a different kettle of fish. Not that he's thrilled with them, I would guess. But reasonably happy. And I don't think there are many saying he's going to stand pat at RB. Many or most - me too - think it's fairly likely he goes RB on day three sometime or maybe bring in a cheaper FA, or at least strongly consider these options.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Believe it or not, some people on this board still think he’s descent.

I will never understand it. 

Well, that's you.

In 2019 he was close to the league lead in YPA. If you don't find that as evidence he's at the very least decent, that says more about you than it does about Motor.

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since the season ended the debate has been between those of us, myself included, who think the problem with the running game and the team's abandonment of it is because our RBs aren't very good and those who have blamed it on the O-line.  Well, so far based on the re-signing of Feliciano and Williams, it looks pretty obvious to me that Beane, who in his end of season PC indicated he wasn't pleased with the running game, doesn't think the O-line was the problem.  The starting 5 are basically locked in with the exception of LG, which will be either Ford or Boettger.  So IMO Beane knows our RBs suck and will be looking to upgrade at RB, not O-line, either in free agency or the draft.  

The lamest excuse I've seen for not upgrading the running back position is that Beane would have to admit he made a mistake drafting a RB in the 3rd round in each of the last 2 drafts.  Beane doesn't seem to be the type whose pride would cause him to keep the status quo at a position of need just because he drafted two 3rd round RBs.  If the Bills were so satisfied with Singletary & Moss as the top 2 RBs, they would have never tried to sign Bell in the middle of this past season.  

Because we have retained most of the OL and RB’s does NOT mean we don’t want to upgrade either group. We set the floor, now we want to see where the ceiling might be.  Let’s see where FA and the draft takes us before we judge. ONE guy swings HUGE in either direction. Way too soon to make this call. 

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, that's you.

In 2019 he was close to the league lead in YPA. If you don't find that as evidence he's at the very least decent, that says more about you than it does about Motor.

Running against soft boxes with gaping holes in 2019.

Gore did the dirty work, singletary benefitted from being a change of pace back with light boxes.

This year? 4.4 YPC with light boxes, and he rarely got the ball on 3rd and short or goal line scenarios which implies he did not produce much at all.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

This year? 4.4 YPC with light boxes, and he rarely got the ball on 3rd and short or goal line scenarios which implies he did not produce much at all.

If you think Singletary was bad.........Leonard Fournette ran for a measly 3.8 ypc on the season with Evans, Godwin, AB, Gronk and Brate clearing out the back 7.

And Kareem Hunt ran for just 4.2 on a loaded run blocking line.

Yes Singletary got extra blocking and had a knack for being on the field for light boxes in 2019..........but the reality is that the Bills OL wasn't blocking it up in 2020........and Singletary ran for 4.4 on a team that averaged 4.2........he wasn't the limiting factor.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you think Singletary was bad.........Leonard Fournette ran for a measly 3.8 ypc on the season with Evans, Godwin, AB, Gronk and Brate clearing out the back 7.

And Kareem Hunt ran for just 4.2 on a loaded run blocking line.

Yes Singletary got extra blocking and had a knack for being on the field for light boxes in 2019..........but the reality is that the Bills OL wasn't blocking it up in 2020........and Singletary ran for 4.4 on a team that averaged 4.2........he wasn't the limiting factor.

4.4 average running with light boxes...

Moss had a 4.3 YPC and he got the 3rd and short and goal line touches . And moss was a below average back, so I’m not sure where you’re going with this argument.

I don’t know how you can watch singletary last year and think he was descent.

It looked like on one side of the field he was running in mud, and the other half he was running on ice.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

4.4 average running with light boxes...

Moss had a 4.3 YPC and he got the 3rd and short and goal line touches . And moss was a below average back, so I’m not sure where you’re going with this argument.

I don’t know how you can watch singletary last year and think he was descent.

It looked like on one side of the field he was running in mud, and the other half he was running on ice.

Playing out of the shotgun all season..... the 2020 OL run blocking was terrible.

Doesn't matter how light the box is if the back is being met by a defender untouched or virtually so in the hole at the LOS.......which was the case far too often.

Singletary and Moss both ranked highly among NFL RB's in yards after first contact........so your contention that they were easy outs doesn't match the stats.

And it's not uncommon for teams that use 10 and 11 personnel as much as the Bills did to end up not being very good running the ball........despite forcing the other team to play nickel and dime defenses.

Playing out of the shotgun all season..... the 2020 OL run blocking was terrible.

Doesn't matter how light the box is if the back is being met by a defender untouched or virtually so in the hole at the LOS.......which was the case far too often.

Singletary and Moss both ranked highly among NFL RB's in yards after first contact........so your contention that they were easy outs doesn't match the stats.

And it's not uncommon for teams that use 10 and 11 personnel as much as the Bills did to end up not being very good running the ball........despite forcing the other team to play nickel and dime defenses.

Yep it was bad. But the RBs also did absolutely nothing to help as well as they are too slow.

We obviously agree to disagree on this.

We can put stats that support our arguments all night but it is not going to change our opinion on the player which is fine.

I just think at best he is a change of pace back and he doesn't really possess one skill that is "good" with the exception of maybe making people miss in space at times.

6 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Then watch his lowlights. You’ll be watching for a lot longer

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

do you want Singletary in a time share next year with Moss?  Do you think we can win the SB with those 2 guys running the ball behind the same line as last year....if they’re lucky enough to have 4 starters at the end of the year.  

You don’t think it would be in our best interests to replace Singletary with a RB that is a threat to score if he gets crack of daylight?  I certainly think we could use a rb with some take it to the house speed.  It would change the way teams defend us

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think everyone that is placing 100% of the blame on any one thing needs to calm down just a little bit.  Were we amazing at running the ball last year?  Of course not but were we dreadful?  No.  We were average and I think that's a combo of scheme, blocking, actual commitment to the run at times and yes, to the talent in the backfield.

If we drafted Etienne I would be fine with that & he is just about the only "home run" threat in the draft at RB but I also think that home run threat is vastly overrated.  Who are some of what we'd consider home run threats?  Dalvin Cook...Nick Chubb...Derrick Henry?  They all have 40 times pretty much the same as both Moss and even Antonio Williams (one of the boards favorite future hall of famers).

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

do you want Singletary in a time share next year with Moss?  Do you think we can win the SB with those 2 guys running the ball behind the same line as last year....if they’re lucky enough to have 4 starters at the end of the year.  

You don’t think it would be in our best interests to replace Singletary with a RB that is a threat to score if he gets crack of daylight?  I certainly think we could use a rb with some take it to the house speed.  It would change the way teams defend us

I want them to add some speed to the backfield mix..........but yeah they can win a SB with Singletary and Moss being the lead backs.   Runnin' bax aren't that important.  

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I want them to add some speed to the backfield mix..........but yeah they can win a SB with Singletary and Moss being the lead backs.   Runnin' bax aren't that important.  

RBs are important if the opposing defense doesn’t bother to defend them and they can’t make them pay.  Singletary rarely makes anyone pay.  Hopefully it’ll be more Moss than motor

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

RBs are important if the opposing defense doesn’t bother to defend them and they can’t make them pay.  Singletary rarely makes anyone pay.  Hopefully it’ll be more Moss than motor

Maybe the Chiefs will waive Damien Williams and then everyone here can get a Super Bowl champion quality RB.;)

Remember him.........4 years a turd in Miami.

I don't think much of Motor or Moss..........didn't like drafting either of them...........but backs good enough to win with are still a dime-a-dozen.

23 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

How many times did both RBs have to elude tacklers in the backfield?  Many times was my perception.  

The OL did not have a lot of continuity last year with Feliciano out for first half of season, Ford moving from T to G and then being injured, Williams taking over early from Ford and Morse missing time with injury as well.  That could have affected run blocking.

I agree, it would be great to have a super-fast back, but I don't think that would have changed many of the negative run plays last year as they would still have had to dodge defenders in the backfield.  Yes, maybe a bit quicker start with exceptional decisiveness might sneak through a few more small holes before they close, but I don't think Chris Johnson in his prime would have been very effective with the run blocking the BIlls had last year.  

Was it injuries/lack of continuity?  Was it scheme?  Was it the OL talent itself?  Was it the RBs?  I don't know, but I think both Bills backs can be decent NFL backs given some blocking.

I know where you are coming from on this, my disagreement comes in that a better back wouldn’t have stopped some negative plays.  A guy with size to shed a blocker at a stand still like Henry does (or even Josh Allen does for that matter) or a guy who has that crazy wiggle like Shady, Hill, etc can all be valuable in those situations, often turning negative yards to something slightly positive or just even.  That can be huge.  You can watch instances where Brady drops back and sees it coming, literally just falls down, Allen never does that (sometimes he should), and he USUALLY makes something of it, even if it’s just avoiding a 5-7 yard loss.  Shady used to be able to just flip his hips and the defender wound up on the ground, it was comical, other times he would do the dance and not go forward thing when there wasn’t a hole he liked, his weakness for sure.  So to my point, if you stuck a top 10 type back in the backfield, I think the negative plays would go away (look at Gore, nothing there, always got something), and the bigger plays could happen as the game drives on, Henry DOMINATES late in games and in situations where the rush is coming and breaking one or two tackles leads to giant runs.  Obviously, those guys are special, but the ones we have are not.

Maybe the Chiefs will waive Damien Williams and then everyone here can get a Super Bowl champion quality RB.;)

Remember him.........4 years a turd in Miami.

I don't think much of Motor or Moss..........didn't like drafting either of them...........but backs good enough to win with are still a dime-a-dozen.

Yeah....I saw Williams break a 40 yard TD to win the game.  Maybe Moss or motor will do that too.  We need a back that can break the big one when the opposing D concentrates on the pass.  I don’t believe Singletary has that ability.  And his hands are questionable . Like I said, hopefully it’ll be more Moss than motor, because motor hasn’t shown us anything. 

I also saw the Bucs win the SB with 4th overall pick rb and 38th overall pick rb running receive 32 touches between them, both averaging over 5 ypc in the SB.  

Winning the SB can be done with or without great running backs.  The supporting cast matters.  Our supporting cast is terrible at run blocking and run game scheming.  With our limited RBs, not so good run blocking OL and bad run game scheme, it allows the D to not give a **** about our run game and take away the only thing we can do.  We need more from our run game and it looks as if the OL and OC will be the same.  Something needs to change if we want Moss or motor to be the next Damian Williams.

On 3/15/2021 at 12:47 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

It is the RB's to a large extent...And the Bills do know it...They are just trying to be nice about it and not throw Singletary particularly under the bus because they like the kid...

But I have no doubt they want a feature back. And I also have no doubt they don't think either Moss or Singletary fit that role 100%...

They can get Javonte Williams in a slight trade down scenario from #30...IMHO that is a HUGE upgrade from Moss or Singletary...B-)

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah....I saw Williams break a 40 yard TD to win the game.  Maybe Moss or motor will do that too.  We need a back that can break the big one when the opposing D concentrates on the pass.  I don’t believe Singletary has that ability.  And his hands are questionable . Like I said, hopefully it’ll be more Moss than motor, because motor hasn’t shown us anything. 

I also saw the Bucs win the SB with 4th overall pick rb and 38th overall pick rb running receive 32 touches between them, both averaging over 5 ypc in the SB.  

Winning the SB can be done with or without great running backs.  The supporting cast matters.  Our supporting cast is terrible at run blocking and run game scheming.  With our limited RBs, not so good run blocking OL and bad run game scheme, it allows the D to not give a **** about our run game and take away the only thing we can do.  We need more from our run game and it looks as if the OL and OC will be the same.  Something needs to change if we want Moss or motor to be the next Damian Williams.

Singletary had a 51 yard TD run this year.   

It's easy to cherry pick a small sample size or site a highlight we remember..........and sure Fournette had a nice run in the playoffs........but he ran for a woeful 3.8 ypc on the season and averages just a slightly less woeful 3.9 for his entire career.

I want to see them add some speed options in the backfield but they can literally do that late in the draft or in street free agency and find a dude who can average more than 3.8 ypc.

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's easy to cherry pick a small sample size or site a highlight we remember..........and sure Fournette had a nice run in the playoffs........but he ran for a woeful 3.8 ypc on the season and averages just a slightly less woeful 3.9 for his entire career.

I want to see them add some speed options in the backfield but they can literally do that late in the draft or in street free agency and find a dude who can average more than 3.8 ypc.

Yeah....how many runs did he have against the chiefs when they played the entire game in dime?  How many catches?  2 catches 9 yards. 6 rushes 17 yards.

all I asked was if you thought we needed some speed and if we can win the SB with them.....which also comes with the same OL as last year and a (hopefully new) run scheme).  You replied that we could use some speed....and you also know that we won’t ever dress more than 2 RBs (STers not included), because McD has never done it in his 4 year career.  Without actually saying it.....you agree that Singletary and Moss aren’t enough, because we can use some speed and we don’t dress 3 RBs.  What good would that speed rb do for us sitting on the bench behind them?

On 3/15/2021 at 9:54 AM, Mike in Horseheads said:

So people here think we have OJ Singletary and Thurman Moss on the roster.

Yes, there are alot of delusional Bills fans who like Singletary & Moss. Blah blah blah....its all the Oline's fault. We need a better RB. I don't care if they try to acquire Hunt or Carson. Or even draft Harris. We absolutely cannot allow teams to drop 7-8 in coverage like KC did.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And it came on a play with 1:40 left in a game that the Bills won 48-19!

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

And it came on a play with 1:40 left in a game that the Bills won 48-19!

He had a 38 yarder the year before.........when did that happen?   And who cares?   He sucks.......every other teams free agent or trade bait RB is better and you can't win a SB without one that is THAT good..........even if the numbers say otherwise on both counts!:lol:

I want to add speed to the RB corps.   I'd like that guy to be able to catch the ball.   I also don't think it's something they should have to over-extend for.   That's what scouts and league minimum salaries are for.

• Like (+1) 1

Singletary was awesome his rookie year.  Look at his ypc its elite.  His drop vs KC was a killer but he wasnt the reason we lost.  And even with Moss out he only got six carries, which was Daboll outthinking himself.

Go watch Moss highlights from this year, he was a rook with no real camp and zero preseason but he looks great all things considered.

Both our runners are good.  Beane isnt spending capital on a 3rd one with a nice prospect like Williams pushing for the 3rd spot.  

Aaaaaand just for fun go watch Christian Wade rugby highlights because they're awesome.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He had a 38 yarder the year before.........when did that happen?   And who cares?   He sucks.......every other teams free agent or trade bait RB is better and you can't win a SB without one that is THAT good..........even if the numbers say otherwise on both counts!:lol:

I want to add speed to the RB corps.   I'd like that guy to be able to catch the ball.   I also don't think it's something they should have to over-extend for.   That's what scouts and league minimum salaries are for.

Um ... I think you may be missing my point. I am actually agreeing with you.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... I think you may be missing my point. I am actually agreeing with you.

Ok I thought it was one of those cases where I was three responses into a discussion and the context was missed and you thought I was trying to sell Singletary more than just point out that we tend to see the grass as greener on the other side,  when in the case of these UFA and trade bait backs,  it really isn't.    They are available because they have been underwhelming where they are.

The funny thing is Damien Williams did get released.   He was on a cheap deal.   I wonder if some of these teams held a bit of a grudge against the opt outs.  There were so few(except in NE) that it wasn't a great look for those that did.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok I thought it was one of those cases where I was three responses into a discussion and the context was missed and you thought I was trying to sell Singletary more than just point out that we tend to see the grass as greener on the other side,  when in the case of these UFA and trade bait backs,  it really isn't.    They are available because they have been underwhelming where they are.

The funny thing is Damien Williams did get released.   He was on a cheap deal.   I wonder if some of these teams held a bit of a grudge against the opt outs.  There were so few(except in NE) that it wasn't a great look for those that did.

Whenever I make reference to a garbage time td, I’m not talking a guy’s skills up. I know your position on him!

Edited by dave mcbride