Beane's salary cap management

4 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I'm looing for O line to be addressed.  I think CB comes in the draft.  DL could be draft also.  I think offense will be where

the $ piece in FA comes from.

I think signing a WR for double digit average salary is poor asset management. 

I wouldn't mind drafting one in the 3rd or 4th though. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think signing a WR for double digit average salary is poor asset management. 

I wouldn't mind drafting one in the 3rd or 4th though. 

You don't sign a WR.  You sign a playmaker with a versatile skill set and game changing speed.  That's Samuel.  I'm not

saying grab Will Fuller or Corey Davis or Nelson Agholor.  The Bills chances of beating KC without more of these types

of players are not high.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, purple haze said:

You don't sign a WR.  You sign a playmaker with a versatile skill set and game changing speed.  That's Samuel.  I'm not

saying grab Will Fuller or Corey Davis or Nelson Agholor.  The Bills chances of beating KC without more of these types

of players are not high.

We need pass rushers. You're telling me if you could sign one player for around $12 million per year it's Curtis Samuel? Not someone that will rush the passer? 

What about a draft pick like Rondale Moore in the 2nd or 3rd. I'm all for improving offensive weapons but you have Gabriel Davis who showed flashes. Re-sign Mckenzie who also shows flashes. 

I don't think Curtis Samuel gets us any closer to the Chiefs. Now it you want to sell me on signing a pass rusher and also Samuel, now I'm listening. Truth is we probably need both. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We need pass rushers. You're telling me if you could sign one player for around $12 million per year it's Curtis Samuel? Not someone that will rush the passer? 

What about a draft pick like Rondale Moore in the 2nd or 3rd. I'm all for improving offensive weapons but you have Gabriel Davis who showed flashes. Re-sign Mckenzie who also shows flashes. 

I don't think Curtis Samuel gets us any closer to the Chiefs. Now it you want to sell me on signing a pass rusher and also Samuel, now I'm listening. Truth is we probably need both. 

I'm all in on signing both positions.   Here's the thing:  Is Samuel better at being a playmaker than the available edge rushers are at getting after the passer?   I like Dupree and Barrett and Lawson, etc.  Will they be more impactful for the defense than Samuel would be for the offense?  

2 hours ago, H2o said:

The more I look at how Beane is managing things I'm starting to think we'll be drafting OL twice in the first 3 rounds and expecting them to see heavy playing time. We can create a little more cap with a couple of releases here or there, but we still need $6-$7M just to sign our draft picks. 

I disagree, we've brought in low cost olineman under McBeane era with the exception of Morse. We might take one guy to replace Williams or Feliciano in Round 1 but not shocked if sign a free agent or two in the $2-3 million dollar range to compete to start or provide depth.

It's been a good job. Beane has a lot of short term contracts with small dead cap hits.  I heard on WGR that the Bills need to sign like 17 players to get back to a full roster though.  I suspect more moves will be made because 20ish mil is not going to go far when you have that many holes just to fill out the roster.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes. I honestly hate the idea of having Davis just take over Browns spot..... you upgrade the offense instantly with Samuel. 

Samuel would be a big upgrade and give you the gimmick play ability of McKenzie. He also buys you time so that when Davis’s time for a deal comes up, it would be around when you are looking to move on from Cole. I just wouldn’t go beyond $10 per for him. 

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I was looking at Sportrac to see where the Bills cap situation was after releasing Brown and Jefferson and restructuring Butler and Morse.   We currently have $25m in cap space which is 13th best in the NFL.

Just as interesting I thought was the numbers for each team's dead cap space.   The Bills are 13th best in the league with just $4.1m of dead cap on the books as of today.  The league average for dead space is $9.3m.   The Chargers are in the best shape with only $58,000 in dead cap space, and the Eagles are worst with $40.1m 

It's nice to see that Beane has made contracts over the last four years with an eye towards maximizing salary cap flexibility and minimizing dead cap space.  The Eagles are in the same situation the Bills were in during year two of the Beane regime when he deliberately ate all of the dead cap off of the Bills' books in one year.  It is going to be hard to field a competitive roster in Philly this year with 25% less salary available to build their roster. 

Beane has said repeatedly that this low dead cap hit is not an accident.   He knows that to field a competitive lineup you can't handicap your roster with a big dead cap hit.   It's because of this that  I don't expect to see Beane making a lot of moves that push the cost of contracts down the road.   I think he will do his best to structure contracts that will not put the franchise back in cap trouble.  It's what a responsible GM should do.

Some people are saying Beane should restructure a bunch of current contracts to free up money now and utilize signing bonuses and other tricks that push the cap hit into future years because the cap will go up 20% next year.  What they aren't considering is that the cost of player contracts will go up 20% next year as well.   Player salaries are going to keep pace with the cap.  Every team will have an extra 20% to spend on their roster, not just the Bills.   Bad contracts and dead cap space will hurt just as much then as they do now.

Beane has spoken frequently about "sustained success".  I don't think he is going to change how he operates and mortgage the team's future like the Saints did to try and win now.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Are you sure its 25 million? I thought I saw it at 15.2,before taking into account t Butler's reworked contract.

I’m actually not thrilled with the cap at the moment. I say that just taking spotrac at where they are now, $15M.

We are bottom half of the league in cap space at that number, we just cut our reasonably priced and productive (pre-injury) WR2 and cannot afford to keep our OG1, RT1, and OLB1. Oh yeah, our QB is also on a rookie contract. We also have some other holes to fill, plus figure out replacements for who we are losing. 

I think our current space plus getting largely “meh” production out of Beanes top 100 picks in Edmunds, Oliver, Epeneza, Moss, Singletary, Ford, and Knox, may bite us in the arse. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

I’m actually not thrilled with the cap at the moment. I say that just taking spotrac at where they are now, $15M.

We are bottom half of the league in cap space at that number, we just cut our reasonably priced and productive (pre-injury) WR2 and cannot afford to keep our OG1, RT1, and OLB1. Oh yeah, our QB is also on a rookie contract. We also have some other holes to fill, plus figure out replacements for who we are losing. 

I think our current space plus getting largely “meh” production out of Beanes top 100 picks in Edmunds, Oliver, Epeneza, Moss, Singletary, Ford, and Knox, may bite us in the arse. 

All this.  Beane’s drafts have sucked.  He landed Allen, which is the reason the team is contending, outside of that? These guys are just rotational players that he’s spent a lot on.  His FA signings haven’t been much better in all honesty.  Look at all the money spent last year for zero impact, outside of Williams.  It’s not great.  

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

I'm all in on signing both positions.   Here's the thing:  Is Samuel better at being a playmaker than the available edge rushers are at getting after the passer?   I like Dupree and Barrett and Lawson, etc.  Will they be more impactful for the defense than Samuel would be for the offense?  

A pass rusher that gets us 8+ sacks would definitely be more impactful than Samuel IMO. 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea COVID screwed them a bit otherwise maybe they resign 2 of the 3 of their top FAs along with a couple playmakers.... and as you said their other picks have been pretty meh. 

But if Allen plays like he did last season it won’t matter. They’ll be an 12-13 win team again even with the cuts/FA losses.... I’m ok with losing Milano, and Feliciano. Would be nice to be able to resign Williams and add a playmaker on both sides of the ball though. Not sure how realistic that is though. 

Don’t tell this to @JGMcD2.

Sucked is a bit strong. More like they’ve struggled to find real impact/difference making players the past few drafts. (Although I think Oliver is just about there and Edmunds has potential to be-though I doubt he will ever get there at MLB)

I’ll agree to disagree, Oliver has shown me nothing, hope I’m wrong on him, but I don’t see it.  Edmunds is an OLB, the sooner he gets there, the better, at this point, I don’t care if it’s in Buffalo.  Ford, AJE, Singletary, Moss, Knox ( I see the potential in him, but he’s not there), c’mon man.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t tell this to @JGMcD2.

Sucked is a bit strong. More like they’ve struggled to find real impact/difference making players the past few drafts. (Although I think Oliver is just about there and Edmunds has potential to be-though I doubt he will ever get there at MLB)

I mean that statement @DCofNCmade is straight up rooted in opinion and not fact. Sucked compared to what? The rest of the NFL over the last 4 years... try again... 

Again, you’re on this difference maker train and you can’t even tell me how many difference makers other teams have acquired via the draft... you can’t just throw words around without defining and giving examples. 

@GunnerBill broke it down beautifully in the thread where we discussed this... the Bills have found more difference makers in the draft in the last 4 years than just about any other team outside BAL, NO, WSH and SF... 

You’re even including Ed Oliver and Tremaine Edmunds as “close” which would put them over the top as the best team at finding different makers... 

I don’t know what else y’all want... outside of drafting an All-Pro in every round... which says a lot in itself... 

EDIT:

Added 4th team Gunner highlighted

Edited by JGMcD2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree on Singletary, and Moss..... they are back up RBs that could be replaced by cheap Vets or later round picks. Bad use of resources in the 3rd round. 

Fords a bust to this point. Way too early on AJE. Knox is a dumb, athletic and frustrating football player. Probably a backup TE in this league at best. Oliver is good and will get better. I’ve said enough on Edmunds. He just doesn’t move the needle at MLB.

I agree AJE gets a pass for now, I’m not seeing a top 10 pick in EO, but you summed it up perfectly.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The 2017 draft was an incredibly good draft led by McD, not Beane and Josh Allen is awesome.... I’d really have to look into the rest of the leagues drafts over the past 3 years.... From strictly a Bills perspective and their draft picks the last 3 years, outside of Allen and arguably Oliver, his other picks have been pretty meh. 

Well if we’re separating it by Beane, I’ll concede it looks slightly different... although still better than most of the league. 

I looked at our drafts, PFF did, @GunnerBilldid and everyone is saying just about the same thing... with a few disagreements but the general rankings end up being fairly close... would love to see what you take from it too...

Edited by JGMcD2

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Well if we’re separating it by Beane, I’ll concede it looks slightly different... although still better than most of the league. 

I looked at our drafts, PFF did, @GunnerBilldid and everyone is saying just about the same thing... with a few disagreements but the general rankings end up being fairly close... would love to see what you take from it too...

Yea the 2017 McDermott draft is, I would wager one of the best drafts the Bills have had in recent memory. An all pro corner, a franchise left tackle and a 5th round linebacker who has been so good they can't afford to keep him.... all while picking up an extra 1st round pick.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the 2017 McDermott draft is, I would wager one of the best drafts the Bills have had in recent memory. An all pro corner, a franchise left tackle and a 5th round linebacker who has been so good they can't afford to keep him.... all while picking up an extra 1st round pick.

Unfortunately, they'll always be a major caveat to that draft.  Let's just hope Allen continues his high level of play and even improves.