Beane's salary cap management

Just now, Limeaid said:

Lee Smith said he is considering retiring (someone else speculated he is retiring) and he has not intention on having a long career like T*m Br*dy but was waiting to hear from Bills on next season.

Thanks for the heads up, I misremebered.

Lee Smith is utterly forgettable to me

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Lee Smith said he is considering retiring (someone else speculated he is retiring) and he has not intention on having a long career like T*m Br*dy but was waiting to hear from Bills on next season.

His agent better ring Beane pronto.. doesn’t want to be caught napping like poor old Smoke..

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

To me it’s a balancing act.  Mortgaging the future too much will place us where we were in the late 90’s with John Butler.  I loved him at the time post Polian, but he mortgaged the future buying tons of defensive talent like Spielman, Big Teddy, Wiley, Paul, and so on.  Donahue was brought into fix it, when Butler went to SD and we know what a banner job he did.

I understand the sentiment to buy a couple of stars and I floated the possibility of Ngakoue, but Inigo you are right.  The problem even for some of soundest smartest guys on this board who are so passionate about the Bills, they want to whatever it takes to get that first SB championship.  Most of us aren’t old enough to remember the 60’s championship wins.

As always Inigo, thank for such a thoughtful and thorough thread that places things into perspective.  I guess the insiders knew what they were doing when they voted him for executive of the year.   I see the mood down here in Tampa after they pulled off what most thought wasn’t possible.  To completely emasculate the Chiefs to 0 TD’s in the biggest game of the year.  People in this city have been on cloud 9 since that night.  I just want the same for my present and former Buffalo brethren.

Besides, unless there more pay cuts, we don’t have that much.  Some wise man again on this board have reminded us in years past we have to keep $12 mil. minimum in the rears.  $7 mil. for the draft, and a $5 mil., emergency fund as players get hurt, and replacements are needed every year.  So if we can find one or two more players to accept modest cuts, that would be optimal.

There is a lot more cap space to be gained from converting base salary to bonuses. Spo Trac said that Dawkins/White/Diggs and Poyer's deals could be readjusted to free up 25 million in space. But the question comes in do you want bigger dead cap numbers down the road in exchange for cap relief now? I also think Lee Smith will be cut or retire and there might be some more restructuring with Hughes and a cut to Addision or restructure to his deal. 

So overall I think McBeane still has some more work cut out for him but he can get even more space to play with. Overall however the question remains how much are you willing to "go for it now"? Josh is on the last year of his rookie deal and he has a very talented team in front of him that needs to retain 3 key starters (Mongo, Williams and Milano) and several key role players (Roberts, Mac, Ty, Barkley, T.Jones.) I think one of the three starters (most likely Milano) leaves and a few key roles players leaves. But then this team has to add 2-3 key pieces to get them over the top. A prime edge rusher and one more significant pass catcher (preferably at TE). 

How can this team get those pieces in place and retain at least most of their core talent? That's the big question. Right now the only shot they have at that is to find more cap space and the best way to do that is to risk more dead money later on for Diggs/White/Dawkins/Poyer. If they are able to free up that 25 million it unlocks the possibility of keeping 2 out of the 3 (D.Williams, Mongo and Milano) while also keeping some role players and maybe adding a piece before the draft.

But sustained winning is hard to do with a lot of dead cap risk for players 2-3 years from now who could be under performing. My mentality is to go for it now. The window to win with Josh is now and you have to take a risk. I am not saying you trade draft picks for big names or anything like that. But if you can get 25 million in space in addition to the space you have freed up and it allows you to retain more talent and fill a hole then do it.

Edited by billsfan89