Quinton Jefferson released

I thought Jefferson was solid vs the pass and had good rush numbers (3 sacks 6 QB hits) but garbage vs the run and didn’t tie up blockers keeping them off the LBs. 

I really like Harry and Zimmer, younger players too. If Harrison comes all the way back from his ACL tear, he could be a really good DT still. 

2 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Hopefully the Vernon Butler cut is coming soon. Not to be too ruthless, but that should be the most straightforward move of the offseason. 

John Brown is all class. Helped get us to the playoffs in 2019 and was always mentoring the young guys/teaching them how to be a pro. All the best to that guy!

(was this made pre Butler pay cut)

• Like (+1) 1

Bummed to see Brown go, mad respect to him and will always root for his continued success except when facing us.  Cant say it wasn't unexpected, although I had hoped Beane would find a way to restructure him to be able to stay.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bummed to see Brown go, mad respect to him and will always root for his continued success except when facing us.  Cant say it wasn't unexpected, although I had hoped Beane would find a way to restructure him to be able to stay.  

Didn’t mean he won’t be back.  Happens quite a bit in the NFL.  If he doesn’t have much of a market they could bring him back very cheap.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Addison needs to take a pay cut, he has 5 sacks, 7 TFL, and 8 QB hits. That’s decent production for RE2. 

Agree, take a pay cut or be cut.  Wonder if they are waiting to see if they can get a replacement in free agency 1st

2 hours ago, junior12thman92 said:

Would have preferred to have dropped Butler over Jefferson.

Saw the John Brown cut coming unfortunately. Thanks for bridging the WR gap for us, JB 

That was my initially thought to, would have rather kept Jefferson as felt he was more versatile as to where you could play him.  But pretty much all the write ups I saw, stated that Butler played much better of the two.  Wouldn't shock me either if Butler is released in another day or two also.

I think they both kind of ended up in a bad situation in that they were signed to play one role, but once Star opted out, everyone was scrambling as to where they should play.  Even by year end, never came up with a really good replacement for Star.  Wonder how much better they'd both have played if Star were here in his normal role.

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Jefferson was a guy I was hoping would be restructured and retained. Had some value as a DE/3T combo and had good snaps this past season

He should have been cut after the regular season Chiefs game.  Could not anchor against the run if his life depended on it.  I think he had 3 good snaps all season.  I believe one was a sack against the Raiders.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, appoo said:

Jefferson was a guy I was hoping would be restructured and retained. Had some value as a DE/3T combo and had good snaps this past season

Yeah there were a few weeks there back when Klein looked awful and we didn't have much going on defense that Jefferson was winning almost every snap.  He seemed like a steal at the time.  No doubt he will catch on with another team he put down some pretty good film this season.

1 minute ago, Da webster guy said:

Yeah there were a few weeks there back when Klein looked awful and we didn't have much going on defense that Jefferson was winning almost every snap.  He seemed like a steal at the time.  No doubt he will catch on with another team he put down some pretty good film this season.

Losing John Brown will probably be OK but if Diggs gets hurts we will really miss JB.

• Agree 3

I agree with releasing Brown n QJeff. Bummed about Smoke but agree with it because the $ we save, the emergence of Davis and the potential of Hodgins.

Had high hopes for QJeff.  He was considered Sea best DL overall in 19. Just never really stood out in this system.  

I'm glad we got Butler to take a pay cut , I thought he really came on in the last 7-8 games , especially in the run game! This shores up DT for 2021 , with Star back , Zimmer in the mix , we got plenty options at DT. 

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Losing John Brown will probably be OK but if Diggs gets hurts we will really miss JB.

Really? I thought QJeff was very underwhelming.  

6 hours ago, gobills404 said:

He's a solid player. I see they posted a few plays on big Q. He's a very solid player , I just thought he was inconsistent.  

And I believe the staff is high on Epenesa,  I can see him making a nice jump in year 2.