6 Dr. Seuss Books Won't Be Published for Racist Images

T&C

When I first read this I thought it was ridiculous.  But then I looked at some of the pictures, and how they would affect my one daughter who is adopted from China.  And some of the pictures depicting Asians really are pretty bad and offensive.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Agreed although I still find green eggs disgusting.  The Sneetches should be a required reading in elementary schools.

The Sneetches should be required reading.  Sylvester McMonkey McBean should be equated to the Democratic Party because there is little if any difference.

11 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

If they make Superman black will it put this to bed ? Will that be enough?

https://screenrant.com/superman-movie-reboot-actors-casting/

First they devastated the comic industry now they are determined to pound the movies into oblivion.

Way to go !

(to be fair the DC films are already garbage and can only get better)

They already made Lois black:

Lois-Lane-106.jpg

Edited by Backintheday544

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

It's more a testament to how pervasive racism has been in our society and how our views on what's appropriate have changed over the last half century.

I can remember some loony toon cartoons that depicted Asians in derogatory way. There was also a bunch of stuff that depicted Germans similarly. 

I guess you make a good point, that what was considered ok 70 years ago is detrimental to the melting pot now.  I’ve been surrounded by diversity my whole life and I guess I’ve just not run into individuals who were offended by things. Now it almost seems like an objective, to find offensive content somewhere no one else has yet 

I just hope Dr Seuss isn't branded a racist. I just don’t think he was that kind of person and as others mention sneetches is a moral story advocating anti racism 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

If they make Superman black will it put this to bed ? Will that be enough?

https://screenrant.com/superman-movie-reboot-actors-casting/

First they devastated the comic industry now they are determined to pound the movies into oblivion.

Way to go !

(to be fair the DC films are already garbage and can only get better)

Who is this "they"?     The company that's making another Superman movie, this time with a Black Superman?   It sounds like primarily an economic decision to me, but then I'm not imagining some evil conspiracy in every new or different thing that comes along.

Edited by SoTier

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I can remember some loony toon cartoons that depicted Asians in derogatory way. There was also a bunch of stuff that depicted Germans similarly. 

I guess you make a good point, that what was considered ok 70 years ago is detrimental to the melting pot now.  I’ve been surrounded by diversity my whole life and I guess I’ve just not run into individuals who were offended by things. Now it almost seems like an objective, to find offensive content somewhere no one else has yet 

I just hope Dr Seuss isn't branded a racist. I just don’t think he was that kind of person and as others mention sneetches is a moral story advocating anti racism 

As I recall Dr. Seuss favored liberal positions.  I don’t think he was a racist.  He was like many of us growing up in earlier times.  We told jokes about different races, ethnicities and such.  We called guys we didn’t like fags and such.  Because that was what we did.  And we were too dumb to acknowledge the error of our ways.

I have two kids ages 25 and 19, and their generation gets what my generation should have gotten.  They treat all with respect regardless of skin color or sexual identity and such.  Good for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

As I recall Dr. Seuss favored liberal positions.  I don’t think he was a racist.  He was like many of us growing up in earlier times.  We told jokes about different races, ethnicities and such.  We called guys we didn’t like fags and such.  Because that was what we did.  And we were too dumb to acknowledge the error of our ways.

I have two kids ages 25 and 19, and their generation gets what my generation should have gotten.  They treat all with respect regardless of skin color or sexual identity and such.  Good for them.

here here on the last sentence and that’s the world We should all want to live in. I would suggest deleting the F word you used so you don’t get fired from your job though... 😞 

One of the values of keeping old offensive  stuff around is one can actually educate kids on what is wrong and offensive to others. 

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There you go with your common sense approach again! Serious people don’t waste time pandering to this ‘everyone is a racist’ crap. If the first Black President read Dr Seuss to his kids then what the heck are we talking about here? Come on people! These are First World outrages and single the true beginning of the end.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

There you go with your common sense approach again! Serious people don’t waste time pandering to this ‘everyone is a racist’ crap. If the first Black President read Dr Seuss to his kids then what the heck are we talking about here? Come on people! These are First World outrages and single the true beginning of the end.

You live and learn.  I would never have been offended back in the day.   But as the dad of an adopted Asian child I look at some of the pictures and they project a sterotype common back then that should not have been used.  So the Seuss people realize it, and from what I understand will change the pictures and re-release.  Win-win for all.

19 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Nobody said Dr. Seuss is bad. The Dr. Seuss foundation is going to stop selling a few of his less popular books that have racist depictions in them.

Then they are going to re-release them with updated pictures to try to sell copies of titles that no one has bought in decades. 

But this is as good a reason as any get your panties in a bunch and declare war! Kill the liberals for burning books! 

As soon as this was posted you could predict the usual instant backlash by the usual suspects citing the usual cancel culture.

21 hours ago, B-Man said:

Links ?

Theodor Seuss Giesel (like most humans) a man whose views changed and refined over the years.

He was known to be pretty embarrassed by his early work, much as a political cartoonist. 

If a few of his early books were offensive and does not really honor the man he later became, I can understand his foundation making that call.

The cry for links is getting old.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/01/dr-seuss-protest-icon/515031/

Some of these books were written around 1904, and had images like "If I ran a zoo..." with barefooted black men in grass skirts.

Times change folks.

https://apnews.com/article/dr-seuss-books-racist-images-d8ed18335c03319d72f443594c174513

Now completely trying to black ball all the man's work that has enriched so many lives because of a few misteps. That would be the essence of cancel culture.

To those proponents who cannot grasp moderation I wonder, who is their perfect human author that is capable of avoiding any level of offense from their work these days?

No such person or author exists.

Edited by WideNine

18 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The lives of these intellectually and morally superior super humans must be perfect because they apparently have no problems of their own to devote their time to handling and they are free to concentrate all their time and effort on finding fault and issues with everyone else.  Meanwhile, the rest of us are left to the dreary task of trying to scrape by and generally minding our own business without a care or concern about what Dr. Suess wrote or what pictures he used.  

That and thei rbrains are fried on all they drugs they've taken

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

You live and learn.  I would never have been offended back in the day.   But as the dad of an adopted Asian child I look at some of the pictures and they project a sterotype common back then that should not have been used.  So the Seuss people realize it, and from what I understand will change the pictures and re-release.  Win-win for all.

So you’re saying Obama was racially insensitive to the plight of Asians? I know you’re not....but the point is that all of this gets a bit wrapped around the axle over time. Those books are simply not racist and we’re never intended to be. This really has to stop. 

2 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

It’s really hilarious seeing the right complain about banned books. The American Library Association puts together lists of the most challenged that people are trying to ban. They’re basically all things the right hates:

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/top10

There was no outcry from the right when this happens. There is outcry now with Dr. Suess. Basically, they’re being hypocrites yet again.

I appreciate the link for the banned books.

Of course there is no link for "no outcry from the right" because it is completely false, made up out of the whole-cloth of your bias.

Conservatives speak up for freedom, not banning.

52 minutes ago, WideNine said:

As soon as this was posted you could predict the usual instant backlash by the usual suspects citing the usual cancel culture.

The cry for links is getting old.

As I posted back on the first page, I am very familiar with Dr. Seuss and his history.

It was the rest of his statement that was (certainly) not able to be supported by links, because it is OPINION, and false one at that.

21 hours ago, B-Man said:

Reading is hard for you.............we ALL know

Links........with an "S"

The conservative backlash to this is almost as funny as as the conservative demands to bring back Mr. Potato(e) Head's penis so they can play with his spud... (Mr. Potato(e) Head never had a penis, dummies.) 

In an unrelated new story, Super Man is an alien from another planet, he isn't a white anglo saxon. But the conservative backlash to the idea that there is going to be a black Super Man is hilarious. 

See ?...........easy.

Edited by B-Man

13 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I appreciate the link for the banned books.

Of course there is no link for "no outcry from the right" because it is completely false, made up out of the whole-cloth of your bias.

Conservatives speak up for freedom, not banning.

Lol. Yes because the left is the one asking for books about LGBTQIA+ book to be banned or want Harry Potter books banned due to witchcraft. 

come on, don’t be dumb.

here’s the list of top 10 most challenged books, find 1 on here that the left would challenge and match it to the left ideology:

George by Alex Gino
Reasons: challenged, banned, restricted, and hidden to avoid controversy; for LGBTQIA+ content and a transgender character; because schools and libraries should not “put books in a child’s hand that require discussion”; for sexual references; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint and “traditional family structure”

Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out by Susan Kuklin
Reasons: challenged for LGBTQIA+ content, for “its effect on any young people who would read it,” and for concerns that it was sexually explicit and biased

A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo by Jill Twiss, illustrated by EG Keller
Reasons: Challenged and vandalized for LGBTQIA+ content and political viewpoints, for concerns that it is “designed to pollute the morals of its readers,” and for not including a content warning

Sex is a Funny Word by Cory Silverberg, illustrated by Fiona Smyth
Reasons: Challenged, banned, and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content; for discussing gender identity and sex education; and for concerns that the title and illustrations were “inappropriate” 

Prince & Knight by Daniel Haack, illustrated by Stevie Lewis
Reasons: Challenged and restricted for featuring a gay marriage and LGBTQIA+ content; for being “a deliberate attempt to indoctrinate young children” with the potential to cause confusion, curiosity, and gender dysphoria; and for conflicting with a religious viewpoint

I Am Jazz by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings, illustrated by Shelagh McNicholas
Reasons: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content, for a transgender character, and for confronting a topic that is “sensitive, controversial, and politically charged”

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Reasons: Banned and challenged for profanity and for “vulgarity and sexual overtones”

Drama written and illustrated by Raina Telgemeier
Reasons: Challenged for LGBTQIA+ content and for concerns that it goes against “family values/morals”

Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
Reasons: Banned and forbidden from discussion for referring to magic and witchcraft, for containing actual curses and spells, and for characters that use “nefarious means” to attain goals

And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson illustrated by Henry Cole
Reason: Challenged and relocated for LGBTQIA+ content

35 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you’re saying Obama was racially insensitive to the plight of Asians? I know you’re not....but the point is that all of this gets a bit wrapped around the axle over time. Those books are simply not racist and we’re never intended to be. This really has to stop. 

No, they were never intended to be racist.  Yes, an Asian individual like my daughter could look at them and be offended by some of the pictures.  So 50 years later you fix that.  No big deal.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No, they were never intended to be racist.  Yes, an Asian individual like my daughter could look at them and be offended by some of the pictures.  So 50 years later you fix that.  No big deal.

It seems screaming CANCEL CULTURE has replaced anyone's desire to think critically. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Lol. Yes because the left is the one asking for books about LGBTQIA+ book to be banned or want Harry Potter books banned due to witchcraft. 

come on, don’t be dumb.

You are making the (common) mistake of lumping all groups together to fit your opinion.

You appear to be referring to religious zealots

not Conservatives.

Conservatism = individual freedom and responsibility.

Liberalism , not so much.............that is why Seuss is being misjudged by the present day Left.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You are making the (common) mistake of lumping all groups together to fit your opinion.

not Conservatives.

Liberalism , not so much.............that is why Seuss is being misjudged by the present day Left.

The people wanting to ban the books are the religious right.

But it doesn’t matter which side they’re on, it’s an outcry to ban books and you hear nothing from the right about protecting those books.

as you said “Of course there is no link for "no outcry from the right" because it is completely false, made up out of the whole-cloth of your bias.”

1. It’s not made up as the link shows. Books with left leaning ideas are being censored or attempted to be censored by the religious right.

2. there is no outcry from the right because why? You say they care about freedoms, but they sure are complaining a ton about Dr. Suess but they complain zero about the other boos the religious right has sought to ban. Why is that?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Nancy Green didn't come up with the formula for Aunt Jemima pancakes. The Pearl Milling company did, 40 years before they hired her at a casting call to play Aunt Jemima at live events. 

The owner of the company saw a minstrel show featuring a mammy character named Aunt Jemima, and decided to brand his pancake mix with the popular trope. It was popular because it communicated to white people that black women were happy in their servitude. 

b248eb5ef0e0649a42a42ea74c5ce8b5.jpg

Just in case anyone is into racist relics from the past, you can bid on Dr. Seuss drawings of slavery: https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.artnet.com/market/racist-dr-seuss-drawing-auction-302586/amp-page

so when you bought pancake mix you saw this black face on the brand and thought about slavery and minstrel shows and it offended you? so now that you see pearl milling company as a logo your more at ease at the breakfast table? 

even though i put a story that said her descendants and community felt her dipiction was a homage to her. your thoughts on the subject override the people most closely associated to it? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

not Conservatives.

In my experience there seems to be a religious fervor to both sides.

Conservatives of late showing a propensity towards excessive hyperbole, conspiracy rhetoric, and demagoguery.

And

Liberals with such narrow tolerances for what is acceptable both politically and socially they are anything but.... liberal.

Both are absurd oxymorons of their alleged platforms.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

We often agree but here we don't. The idea that these books would do harm to anyone is preposterous....but... if they do, I suggest adults don't read them to their kids or grandkids.  The kids aren't buying the books for themselves!  My son-in-law is of Asian decent.  He was read these books as a kid, and he now reads them to my grandson...with no harm implied or done.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We often agree but here we don't. The idea that these books would do harm to anyone is preposterous....but... if they do, I suggest adults don't read them to their kids or grandkids.  The kids aren't buying the books for themselves!  My son-in-law is of Asian decent.  He was read these books as a kid, and he now reads them to my grandson...with no harm implied or done.

And decades later when you see there are stereotypes there’s nothing wrong with fixing it.  Did the books do permanent harm?  No.  Can they be improved?  Yes.  And what is the harm in doing so?

5 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

so when you bought pancake mix you saw this black face on the brand and thought about slavery and minstrel shows and it offended you? so now that you see pearl milling company as a logo your more at ease at the breakfast table? 

even though i put a story that said her descendants and community felt her dipiction was a homage to her. your thoughts on the subject override the people most closely associated to it? 

Quaker, which is owned by Pepsico, made the choice revert to the original Pearl Milling Company. I had nothing to do with it. I wasn't offended by anything, but understand why they would want to stop using a racist trope. 

What I find illuminating is the extent to which right wingers will go to express outrage and offense against companies making choices to repair there racist past.

It's almost like the people most offended by Quaker attempting to repair it's racist past are angry that they would admit that there was something to repair. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

And decades later when you see there are stereotypes there’s nothing wrong with fixing it.  Did the books do permanent harm?  No.  Can they be improved?  Yes.  And what is the harm in doing so?

As one who works in a creative field, I'm a proponent of the purity of an artist's work.  Should we go back and repaint all of the paintings in the Louvre?  Of course not.  Everyone needs to relax.  If someone wants to make new books, make them. New books are written every day. 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

As one who works in a creative field, I'm a proponent of the purity of an artist's work.  Should we go back and repaint all of the paintings in the Louvre?  Of course not.  Everyone needs to relax.  If someone wants to make new books, make them. New books are written every day. 

The publishers can simply reprint these 6 books with updated artwork.  Or not.  It’s their call and it appears they’ve made it.

You honestly should stop making exaggerated comparisons like repainting all the pictures in the Louvre.  It detracts from your arguments and makes you look silly.

16 hours ago, T&C said:

What in the ***** is going on with this world? 

America going woke and cancel culture. (Movies and tv shows, schools, public lots of places heading this way as well) Been following this long time. There is possibly more changes.  There making it more worse for people. 

To me this is the best to do by Martin Luther King how we all to do for others. 

"I have a dream than one day my children will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" Martin Luther King

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

America going woke and cancel culture. (Movies and tv shows, schools, public lots of places heading this way as well) Been following this long time. There is possibly more changes.  There making it more worse for people. 

"I have a dream than one day my children will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" Martin Luther King

This cancel culture stuff is fake.  Societies undergoes changes with time.  Businesses adapt to that.  Again, in this particular case no one that has a rational brain is calling Theodore Seuss a racist.  But in his time people of certain ethnicities were drawn in particular ways or characterized in certain ways.  Like the Asian workers in his books.  Or Hop Sing on Bonanza.  As society changes such stereotypes are considered inappropriate, and as such businesses don't want to alienate customers, and make decisions on that basis.  If you are say a white Anglo-Saxon like me, and you decide to no longer buy Dr. Suess books because they don't keep the stereotypical pictures, what does that say about you or me?

We absolutely should live up to reverend King's standard.  we're not there yet.  A Vietnamese restaurant near my daughter was vandalized last week just because they are Asian; terrible racist slogans printed on their walls and now they feel forced to close.  she has had racist comments made towards her because of where she's born.  Dr. King has set the ideal standard; we have a ways to go to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Not sure if it is as extreem as all that America doom and gloom.

We just live in an age where media and social media serve as echo chambers for extreem reactionary takes on the mundane.

10 or so years ago the Suess foundation taking an action like this would be meh...books cease publication all the time for a variety of reason, usually because they are not profitable to print.

If anything, the racially divisive early works of Seuss are now limited edition works and may be worth more to those that collect such things.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This cancel culture stuff is fake. 

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

https://redstate.com/brandon_morse/2021/03/03/the-left-is-now-trying-to-sell-the-idea-that-cancel-culture-doesnt-exist-n336504

The Left Is Now Trying to Sell the Idea that Cancel Culture Doesn't Exist

by Brandon Morse

65cdd35f-0d05-4a02-b483-e3a148ef95a6-730

The left has a habit that it practices when it runs up against undeniable hypocrisy and it’s doing so now with cancel culture. It’s a tactic that first requires the denial of a thing existing, and then redefining the word to better fit their needs.

Cancel culture is an undeniable thing happening in our society right now. People, businesses, organizations, movies, shows, and more have been absolutely ruined because the left gets together a mob who trends something or someone into infamy. This person or thing becomes too unsafe to work with for brands and that person is effectively left with very little and with few prospects. Sometimes the person being canceled lands on their feet, or sometimes it will just cost a brand their reputation, but oftentimes it results in the ruination of lives.

Cancel culture is clearly unpopular with the American people. As reported by Politico, 49 percent of Americans believe cancel culture has gone too far while only 27 percent think it’s a positive force in America.

The problem is that cancel culture is too useful of a tool for the left to just drop. Even the threat of being canceled keeps a lot of people in line and agreeing with whatever the left tells them to agree with on any given instance. So what to do?

Redefine it.

We’ve been hearing from the left lately that there’s no such thing as “cancel culture,” as if the cancellations we’ve seen over the past couple of years weren’t blindingly obvious. They try to put new names on it to spin it. Briant Stelter called the cancellation of “Lou Dobbs Tonight” over advertisers not willing to associate themselves with the program after his stance that the election was stolen “consequence culture.”

{snip}

It’s hard to square the left’s logic with actual logic but the leftist bubble can’t allow itself to be mistaken or wrong about anything. It wants to have its accusatory cake and eat it too, and what we’re witnessing right now is the left’s attempts at coming up with a way to do the horrible things they do while still looking like the good guys, or even better, the victims.

To see the outcome of this, we can look at how the left redefined racism.

Racism is, pure and simple, hatred or prejudice against a certain race or skin color. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

In its cultural conquest, however, the left needed villains to turn people against and it found a solid patsy in the form of white people. The left has made white people a cultural villain for years now, blaming almost every problem under the sun as something white people caused in the first place. Comedians, movies, and television shows can make white people the butt of a joke for their skin color while doing so to any other race is absolutely forbidden. Blue check journalists on Twitter can actually make overtly racist statements against white people with no blowback whatsoever.

The answer is, redefine what constitutes racism.

Professors in universities began trotting out racism as being prejudiced or hateful against a certain race or ethnicity, but now in order to constitute “racism,” it must now also include power. So (racism = prejudice + power).

With this in mind, they can proclaim that white people have all the power and their racism can continue, now redefined as reactive feelings toward white oppressors. It’s weaponized self-victimization.

The left is now trying to do the same with cancel culture. It cannot allow cancel culture to be lost but it also can’t have it used as an example of just how the left is not, in fact, full of victims. It needs to continue the illusion that it’s the side doing the right thing and fighting for the oppressed and downtrodden.

The left is far from innocent. It’s racist, intolerant, and ready to destroy anyone who disagrees with them or gets in their way. No one is safe, including the cancellers.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This cancel culture stuff is fake.  Societies undergoes changes with time.  Businesses adapt to that.  Again, in this particular case no one that has a rational brain is calling Theodore Seuss a racist.  But in his time people of certain ethnicities were drawn in particular ways or characterized in certain ways.  Like the Asian workers in his books.  Or Hop Sing on Bonanza.  As society changes such stereotypes are considered inappropriate, and as such businesses don't want to alienate customers, and make decisions on that basis.  If you are say a white Anglo-Saxon like me, and you decide to no longer buy Dr. Suess books because they don't keep the stereotypical pictures, what does that say about you or me?

We absolutely should live up to reverend King's standard.  we're not there yet.  A Vietnamese restaurant near my daughter was vandalized last week just because they are Asian; terrible racist slogans printed on their walls and now they feel forced to close.  she has had racist comments made towards her because of where she's born.  Dr. King has set the ideal standard; we have a ways to go to get there.

Wow so sorry  Vietnamese people. :( Noone should go thru that. Hope they are ok. Nooone should do that to them so awful. :(  Love King's standard and how I do for others. He was such a amazing guy. Need him these days. His message works so well. Love that guy.

Ya respect you're freedom of speech. Cancel culture is real to me.  Many others agree with me. But the thing is I think there message getting out is worse way worse than Dr King said.  But that's what I think. Like you're posting oldmanfan. Always respect and what u have to say here. Really pleasure reading you're posts.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Wow so sorry  Vietnamese people. :( Noone should go thru that. Hope they are ok. Nooone should do that to them so awful. :(  Love King's standard and how I do for others. He was such a amazing guy. Need him these days. His message works so well. Love that guy.

Ya respect you're freedom of speech. Cancel culture is real to me.  Many others agree with me. But the thing is I think there message getting out is worse way worse than Dr King said.  But that's what I think. Like you're posting oldmanfan. Always respect and what u have to say here. Really pleasure reading you're posts.

Right back at you.  Good dialog.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I'm going to guess you get all your information from right wing media sites.  There's an old saying:  if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  

No one is being "cancelled" and if people are losing their businesses and such it is because their comments are driving away customers.  For example, I as an Independent will not buy Goya products because their chair espouses ridiculous takes on the past election.  Same with Mr. Pillow.  I choose not to do business with companies whose chairmen would spout such junk.  If you can get more of your friends to make up that business, then they won't go out of business.  The free market is a wonderful thing.