Ex-Panther alert - Carolina set to release Pro Bowl DT Kawann Short

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not at all.... the one ex Carolina Panther they signed who actually performed well. 

Still, Williams is younger and had been an all pro. Short is 32 and as mentioned has been injury prone and not been on the field the past two seasons. 

The one ex Carolina Panther I'd love for them to pursue is Curtis Samuel. 

Great call... there’s how you add some speed

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Short has also been an All Pro.  Williams was bad and injury prone his last 2 years in Carolina....it's how we got him on a 1 year $2.5 million dollar contract to sign with the Bills this past year.

What would it hurt bringing in Short at something like that when you have a heavy rotation on the DL?  It doesn't guarantee he makes the roster and it doesn't keep you passing on someone who you might think is better.

Williams was also All Pro (2nd, in 2017), is young and was played out-of-position when he returned from injury.  Very different from this situation.

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

To those that say he’s done, have you actually watched him? Or just look at his stats and injuries and assume?

The problem is he hasn't been able to stay on the field. When he has, he has been a good starter-not a Fletcher Cox or Donald but still effective.

It's understandable that Panthers fans are bitter, because of his enormous and wasted cap hit in the past 2 years. He was grossly overpaid and couldn't come close to value for his post SB extension.

Obviously, the Bills can offer a top class facility and there is familiarity with McDermott and Washington as well as former teammates. Assuming he came cheap it makes sense. The value in getting him would obviously be in releasing Butler and Jefferson creating cap space elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Phillips and Zimmer.

I thought phillips was pretty bad at 3T. He played some solid 1T at the end of the year and I believe that will be his positions with the Bills while he’s on the team. He’s not a 3T imo.  

I like Zimmer as a rotational 3T.  Maybe he can be the primary backup 3T. Just seems like, if this is our plan, than our DTs will be worse than last year.  Gaining star, but losing Jefferson and butler.  Jefferson is clearly a much better 3T than phillips and Zimmer imo. 

I feel that we should sign a 3T on a prove it deal and draft a 1T to replace Star after this season. Would love to get Tyler Shelvin or Tadarrell Slaton mid rounds.  Phillips isn’t starter material atm imo.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Williams was also All Pro (2nd, in 2017), is young and was played out-of-position when he returned from injury.  Very different from this situation.

Short was also 2nd team All Pro. Also injured prior to availability. Also a solid starter available on the cheap.

So there is 5 years age difference but to offset that he would be in a line rotation backing up Oliver, not a guy who will play 100% of snaps at tackle. 

If he is a let down and costs say 2 mill, you still got a starter for a year and saved Butler and possibly Jefferson cap hit.

For me, It's not about Short getting 11 sacks and being depended on. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Depends on the contract.

Rather them not waste $$$ on another ex Carolina Panther who hasn't played much and is old/washed in a situation where they are up against the cap.... would much rather them use all the cap they need on a high level guy on the edge. 

Like Daryl Williams was last year.  He was awful in 2019.  2M got it done and was one of the best free agent signings in the entire league....not just for the Bills.

I just don’t understand why “ex-Carolina panther” is the foundation for not wanting him.    We’ve had some success with some ex Carolina panthers.  Williams being a prime example.  Klein turned out to be a solid addition after a tough start.  Marlowe has made some nice plays.  Butler didn’t set the world on fire, but him playing 1T helped turn around our run D that was missing Star.

If he’s healthy and cheap....I don’t see why anyone would have a problem with this.  When healthy, he was a beast.  If he’s clearly lost a few steps or wants too

much money, I get not wanting him.

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

I would guess Harrison > Short right now.  and much more affordable.

But short wouldn’t be playing 1T backing up star.....which is what harrison should be doing 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's so different where Short wouldn't be worth a shot for a few million?  

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Depends on the contract.

Rather them not waste $$$ on another ex Carolina Panther who hasn't played much and is old/washed in a situation where they are up against the cap.... would much rather them use all the cap they need on a high level guy on the edge. 

I'm sure the FO has enough sense to understand that you don't pass up a high level edge guy for a back up DT.

Short is a depth guy.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I would guess Harrison > Short right now.  and much more affordable.

I really like Harrison as rotational depth on a cheap deal. But, in no universe has he ever shown ability to rush the passer like Short. The gamble here is can Short be fit. But his floor is high if the price is right.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I love ya Chevy, but we just Busted playfully 78’s chops on a new thread for everyone being a cap casualty.  My apologies 78 as you tried to rectify and changed you’re title to cap or possible cap casualties.  If you guys want to start a new thread for the next 40 guys as cap casualties, but I’ll give 78 credit, he tried to get them lumped into one thread and would probably have 100 pages so we can just keep track of it.  

Im not a mod so whatever you guys want.  This is going to get long meaning a new thread almost everyday if it’s a new one for every hit.  You guys discuss and decide.

I agree with the thought of not having a new thread for every cap casualty. I thought this one merited a thread because of Beane’s strong propensity to sign released Carolina players, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

Guys that wear #99 are aggravating ....:thumbdown:

Some are Lazy (Dareus)

Some can't make up their mind on ANYTHING (JJ Watt)

Now this Short guy., 2 shoulder surgeries in 2 years ....Pass

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 1