Ex-Panther alert - Carolina set to release Pro Bowl DT Kawann Short

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills don't need DTs. They need edge rushers.  Hard pass.  He is 32.  They need to get younger, bigger, and faster on the edge.  

I disagree.  A big part of their issues on defense was how easily offensive lines could push around the middle of the defense.  Many have said that lacking a true space eating DT also is why Edmunds struggled.  You may not like Short, but I don’t think you can say the Bills don’t need DT’s.  We aren’t even 100% that Star comes back next season

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I disagree.  A big part of their issues on defense was how easily offensive lines could push around the middle of the defense.  Many have said that lacking a true space eating DT also is why Edmunds struggled.  You may not like Short, but I don’t think you can say the Bills don’t need DT’s.  We aren’t even 100% that Star comes back next season

Unless he retires completely, Star will be back. But even if he does come back, we still need another 1-tech to rotate with him. And even if we got both of them, with their ages, we need to be looking for 2 more young 1-techs to sign soon.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of signing another Panther cast off, but this could actually help. Maybe.

• Like (+1) 2

Absolutely the eff not.

Not only is he worse than Star (he graded quite poorly for the 3 games he's played) but he's not had two straight years worth of surgery shortened seasons.  Oh and we can't afford to move on from Star, who Dead Cap prohibits it.

At his best Kawann Short was a premier 3tech in the NFL. Probably only Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox were better, and that was playing in a McDermott defense. Unfortunately his body is broken down and his skills are significantly diminished. 

It is a hard pass from me and I loved the guy. If he ends up sitting out there into dust settles free agency though.... then don't be surprised if the Bills sniff around. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

At his best Kawann Short was a premier 3tech in the NFL. Probably only Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox were better, and that was playing in a McDermott defense. Unfortunately his body is broken down and his skills are significantly diminished. 

It is a hard pass from me and I loved the guy. If he ends up sitting out there into dust settles free agency though.... then don't be surprised if the Bills sniff around. 

Interesting.

If he cant play 1-tech then I'm not interested at all. And I hope Beane isnt either.

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Unless he retires completely, Star will be back. But even if he does come back, we still need another 1-tech to rotate with him. And even if we got both of them, with their ages, we need to be looking for 2 more young 1-techs to sign soon.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of signing another Panther cast off, but this could actually help. Maybe.

We have Harrison Phillips to play 1T and spell Star.  Short is a 3T in McD's Defensive scheme.